EXERCISE Chekhov's Gun Challenge: The Pink Hair-bow

Discussion in 'REFINING WRITING' started by - Falcon -, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Chekhov's Gun Challenge, Cyan
    Chekhov's Gun is a writing trope used to mean that a seemingly insignificant object has turned out to be important to the plot. For example, the ring Frodo found in Gollum's cave in "The Hobbit" turned out to be the One Ring in the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy.

Any little thing can help you further your plot.

To Participate: I will give you an insignificant object and the setting in which it is first seen. Then you post a way in which that object could be used to further the plot.

example (open)

Item and Setting Given: A stick brought back by the dog.

Way in which it can be used:
    First mention of object - Peter's dog is always bringing back sticks. Peter has a habit of letting them collect by his front poach.

The object becomes important when - One day while running from a band of trolls, Peter and his friends try to take refuge behind his house. Looking for something to throw at the trolls to distract them, one of the characters picks up the stick Peter's dog brought back earlier and . . . ZAP! that stick was actually the missing magic wand belonging to the Good Fairy. Now the trolls are all made of stone and if they can get the fairy back her wand maybe she can help them find the lost prince and save the day!

The Item and Setting:
    A Pink Hair-bow, found in the school yard.

2. It was a day like any other during summer. Amber had to go to school to help with getting everything ready for when summer ended. On her way though, she noticed a pink hair-bow in the school yard. Curiously, Amber picked it up and for some strange reason, decided to keep it. She pocketed it in one of her shorts pockets then continued on her way. when she got inside Amber greeted the principal kindly then went about her day helping. Towards the end of the day however, as twilight set in Amber heard a younger girl laughing in a room down the hall. Curious, Amber followed the noise until she stood outside the only door in the whole school that no one, even the principal, was allowed to open. The door was black and thick, covered in sutras. However, Amber ignored the sutras. No, not ignored. It was more like she didn't see them. She put her hand on the handle and pulled down then pushed forward. A large gust of wind blasted from the room and flung Amber back into a wall. She coughed a few times then looked up and saw a horrifying sight. A young girl, around eight stood in the middle of the room, black hair flying loose and her ankles and red eyes like blood staring at Amber. She girl had large sharp teeth and half of her face was ripped off to reveal what laid underneath the skin. The girl ran at Amber and in fear, she looked for soemthig she could use. she then remembered the hair bow and in desperately pulled it out of her pocket. When the girl saw the bow she stopped dead in her tracks, a few inches away from Amber. Her body grew faintly white and when Amber looked at her again she saw a young girl. Her hair was black and went a little past her shoulders. Her eyes were a deep blue and she looked like any other eight year old girl. In a soft voice the girl whispered.

"You found my bow..."

Amber, confused held the bow out to the girl and she took it with great care.

"My mommy gave me this before she died. I was killed in that room and my bow flew out the window. The last thing I saw before I died was my bow flying in the wind. Thank you. I can finally find peace now."

Tears brimmed the little girls face and Amber stood up. She hugged the child and the child hugged her back.

"May you forever live happily in heaven."

Amber said softly. The girl disappeared, taking the bow with her. Months later Amber was looking through old newspapers and found one about a child killed in the same room where Amber met that girl. Her name was Skylar. Tears brimmed Amber's eyes as she read the article and she was forced to put it down right after she finished for tears fell to the ground. Amber was glad she had saved a life. Even if the child had tried to kill her. She only wanted peace. Amber turned her gaze to the sky and knew that she would always remember those feelings and that child.

• Love Love x 1