Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

Hecatoncheires

un jour je serai de retour près de toi
Original poster
DONATING MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Right chums, Chat RPs.

In the old CBox, we never really got many running, despite having several channels dedicated to them. Now, we've got a whole sub-forum dedicated to them, and I can't help but see the potential for games like D&D and WoD to be run in the CBox.

But hell, there's no point just diving in without really planning this much (...which I kinda already have, yeah), so here's a poll.

What do you guys fancy playing?

EXALTED: A fantasy game made by White-Wolf, Exalted takes a very different approach to fantasy than any Wizards of the Coast game would. In it, you take the role of one of the Exalted, the Chosen of the Gods. To put it simply, you are badass incarnate; even as a starting level character, you are capable of taking on whole fucking armies whilst realistically expecting to win. In short, expect epic battles, campaigns and stories. You're the chosen of the Gods, after all. Would you expect anything less?

CHANGELING: Another White-Wolf game, this one using the World of Darkness system, in which you take the role of a recent escapee of Arcadia, the land of the True Fae. Having been kidnapped, taken there and subjected to slavery or servitude or worse, you return to find yourself changed, taking on many of the aspects of your captors. Forming 'courts' with your fellow escapees, or Changelings as you call yourselves, you attempt to eke out an existence in a world of terrifying magic and with monsters lurking in the shadows.

HUNTER: Yet another White-Wolf game (yes, I know, but they're sooooo awesome), in Hunter you take the role of an ordinary human being who, through tragic circumstances or what-have-you, has become aware that monsters exist, and feed upon human society. And you and your friends, or cell-mates, have decided to seek a rather permanent solution to this monster problem, dragging vampires out into the sun, pumping silver bullets through werewolves, burning down haunted houses. You're like the Mystery Gang, basically. But with guns.

SERENITY: Finally a game not made by White-Wolf. If you've seen Firefly or Serenity (or both), then this needs little explanation. For those of you who haven't, let me sum it up nicely. SPACE COWBOYS. Let me repeat that, just to emphasize it. MOTHERFUCKING SPACE COWBOYS. You take control of a crew-member of a ship, eking out an existence in the depths of space, doing odd-jobs, smuggling runs and worse to stay in the air.

So L's and G's, what are we after? I leave the choice entirely up to you, but let's get some Chat RPs going, guys. 'Cos seriously, they're a whole lot of fun.

WEEEEEEEEE! SPAAAAAAAACEEEEEEEEEEEE BOW CHIKA BOW WOW .....I mean...eh-hem.... I agree. -will be lurking or trying to participate if serenity is chosen- O__e

And the results so far show a 'GIVE US SPACE-COWBOYS NOW, BITCH' majority.

Thank fuck; Exalted scares me.

Exalted is for the DnD'ers that want World of Darkness action.

I'm more partial to Hunter and Changeling myself...good systems, wide basis for rp...I'm running quite the number of campaigns currently.

A serenity roleplay should be interesting though...I think I bought the book on that...somewhere.

I'm running a Hunter campaign just now as well, actually. It's probably my favourite of the WoD books, alongside Changeling. Been meaning to try Werewolf, though. That does look kinda fun.

One vote for Exalted and Hunter now, but they're gonna need some serious catching up if they hope to beat Serenity.

*sees the mod-like glow coming off of Grumpy*

Serenity is cool. But don't expect me to know stuff.

Hey, there's always Wikis, man. And I don't demand as a pre-requisite to joining the game that you be able to list the name of every Outer Planet in the 'Verse.

Plus, it's not a difficult Universe to understand or get into. Another thing that added to the show; it's very much based on historical events. Just... in space.

Exalted is for the DnD'ers that want World of Darkness action.

Mechanically, that might be right.

I'm not a D&Der though.

Thematically there are SO many different ways to run Exalted. RPGnet used to have threads discussing/arguing about just how to/you can run Exalted at least twice a week at some point.

What is Exalted?

I'm used to playing it as a bit of an otherwise serious fantasy pseudo-period drama where magic and stylish esoteric kung fu really exist as simple fact, but I'm interested in playing other takes on it.

I don't expect Exalted to win at all. I was just voting honestly. ;)

I'd do Serenity, but I have big gaps in my knowledge of the series.

Hey, there's always Wikis, man. And I don't demand as a pre-requisite to joining the game that you be able to list the name of every Outer Planet in the 'Verse.

Plus, it's not a difficult Universe to understand or get into. Another thing that added to the show; it's very much based on historical events. Just... in space.
Cool enough.

<!-- / message -->

Guys, I'm seriously considering running a low-level, high-risk (I'm not going to avoid killing off characters if they're out of fate points) Dark Heresy campaign in the old chats. (Particularly the one for Asmo's Greed/Paorou's Ambition.)

http://space-kitten.org/iwaku/chats/ag.html <-Where we'll play.
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/dhroller.html <- How to generate characters. (Even guys who haven't read the rules can get a general idea of how their characters will turn out.)

Reply if interested, and post when you can play (schedules and stuff.) I'll make an OOC if I get enough people who match my timeframe.

I'm still wet behind the ears at table-top, but I'd LOVE to give either game a try, honestly.

I love Serenity/Firefly. I know there's a RPG rulebook out there. I'll try to, ahem... get my hands on it.

Dark Heresy, well... love me some 40k. Count me in, Paorou!

For either game, I'm free any time, truth be told. Still suckling off on the government teet.

OH DEAR GOD EXALTED.

I do really want an excuse to use the files I have lying around my hard drive. I'm kinda busy this week, but it would be AWESOME to get some Lunars/Infernals all up in this thing. (or, if you want to keep it simple, Solars of asskicking)

mmm, bonuses for being a Bond Villain..

So I got a chance to look at the Serenity RPG book...

... and I really, really like it. The system emphasizes more on role-play than mechanics and numbers, and I really enjoy that. And it seems to lend itself more to a CRPG, with less 'dicey' interruptions.

Paorou, I'd definitely be up for a high-risk Dark Heresy game. That system seems to lend itself nicely to killing low-level characters off in various awesomely brutal ways.

And thanks Coffee for the Exalted link. It's always good to read other people's thoughts on the system. If I was going to run it, we'd be doing it epic heroes-style and not animu-style, I reckons.

But anyways, seems the votes state that people want themselves some SPACE COWBOYS, and so SPACE COWBOYS it shall be. I'll get the OOC Thread posted soon.

EDIT: THE THREAD IS UP.

http://space-kitten.org/iwaku/showthread.php?1474-Serenity-WELCOME-TO-THE-BLACK&p=44378#post44378

Good to know. I also have a habit of allowing custom-made elite advances in my game, if the plot allows it.

One such example: (from my irl gaming group)

The Madarac Penitence Engine - Elite Advance

Madarac has decided that his sin of being mutated, despite killing the corporeal form of a chaos god and saving a planet alongside others, is too much for him to bear. Despite clearly being blessed by the Emperor and forgiven by his Inquisitor, (who even offered corrective surgery for the receding mutation) he has decided to live a life of eternal torment to better annihilate the Emperor's enemies.

Game Effects (Madarac): Madarac is now linked to a powerful, specially made Penitence Engine that runs in an 8 hour cycle. This curfew was made so that the damage he may cause is limited, despite his constant grumbling about how he wants to suffer eternal torment in the name of the Emperor. He may only leave the engine when the time is up for the day, when he needs to go into the rest room, or for meals. (In truth, he is able to leave at any time) But during his stay in the engine, he suffers immense pain and burns with uncontrollable rage for the emperor's enemies. Leaving the engine leaves stinging, ringing pains and sores from chemicals still circulating in his body, so he gets a -20 penalty on all tests for 1d10 rounds after leaving the engine.

THE ENGINE: A fearsome warmachine used by the Ecclesiarchy as a form of punishment to the most heinous of heretics, who have repented and asked for the Emperor's forgiveness. It is actually a walker vehicle, with the 'pilot' chained in the center, with various injectors plugged into various points in his spine. The injectors contain chemicals that amplify pain and keep the penitent conscious and ALIVE throughout the whole ordeal, meaning that they are truly suffering for as long as they stay on the engine. Furthermore, the 'cockpit' offers no real protection to the pilot, so he/she is inclined to suffer even more. The machine is equipped with a variety of bladed implements and wicked weapons, and commonly have flamers in it's arsenal, but this occasionally differs according to the use of the engine.

Madarac's Engine is a bit different in that the injectors can easily be removed by the pilot and untrained individuals, since he can actually leave the cockpit any time he wishes. He also has two, small seats on his rear armor, for each side. When using the machine, he literally becomes 'one' with it, so does not use the Pilot skill in a traditional sense. For this purpose, the machine's stats are actually a modification of his stats, since he uses the machine as if it were his own body.

: Madarac's Penitent Engine Characteristics :
WS 52 (Madarac's WS +10)
BS 40 (Madarac's BS +10)
S 50 (Machine stat)
T 34 (Dependent on Madarac; Only counts when his 'real' body is hit.)
Ag 40 (Machine stat)
Int 31 (Dependent on Madarac)
Per 34 (Dependent on Madarac)
WP 45 (Dependent on Madarac)
Fel 10 (As long as Madarac is riding, his Fel is reduced to 10.)

: Bonus Skills granted while in Machine : Carouse, Pilot, Drive, Chem-Use, Tech-Use, Intimidate
: Bonus Talents granted while in Machine : Battle Rage, Ambidextrous, Dual Strike, Crushing Blow, Hardy, True Grit, Two-weapon Wielder (Melee)
: Bonus Traits granted while in Machine : Frightening (Fear 2), Brutal Charge
: Skills lost while in Machine : Any Fel Skill, Security, Gamble, Swim, Sleight of Hand, Silent Move, Shadowing, Concealment, Contortionist,
: Talents lost while in Machine : Sprint, Master Orator, Unremarkable, and Any other Fel - based Talents.

: Vehicle type: WALKER (with arms) As such, it may climb or overcome vertical obstacles with a -20 penalty due to it's non-manipulator hands.
: Size Penalty : Opponents have +20 to hit tests when attacking the machine. Madarac himself gives no bonus and may even have cover.
: Speed : 6/12/18/24
: Armor : No additional Armor to Madarac, unless hit from the rear or he defends using his limbs. The limbs are treated as AP 16 with 5 wounds each (representing internal circuitry and pneumatics) if these wounds reach 0, the limb is useless until repaired. If wounds recieved go beyond 5, it is lost. The Material used for the rear portion of the vehicle counts as AP 25 as the cogitators and engines involved are better protected than everywhere else. If by any chance a hit goes through the rear armor, Paulus Madarac must roll on this table to see what happens to the walker.

REAR ARMOR PIERCED TABLE
- 01-10 A minor component has been scratched. No big deal.
- 11-20 A resistor or other minor component has been dislodged. GM may apply a -10 to a future test of his discretion.
- 21-30 Combat limiter protocols have been temporarily overloaded by an electric surge. The walker must all-out attack, charge, or dual strike as it's next full action.
- 31-40 A component for a specific limb has been rocked by the impact and is malfunctioning. Tests using a specified limb (Opponent may roll hits on body table) have a -20 penalty until the walker is repaired.
- 41-60 A small explosion rocks the rear end of the machine and it is stunned for 1d5 rounds as black smoke belches out from the hole. The machines start to reactivate on emergency protocols after the time period. Madarac may react as normal during this period.
- 61-70 The chemical injectors are overloaded with a surplus of chemicals. Madarac screams louder than usual and the machine flails around wildly. Madarac takes 1d10 wounds, 1 level of fatigue, and the machine deals 1d10+4 I damage to all nearby objects in a 1d10 meter radius. (creatures may roll to dodge.)
- 71-80 Backup systems are activated. A special chemical is injected into Madarac, who now has delusions of being either an Adeptus Custodes, the terran legend Beowulf, or the Imperial Saint Xergius. He now has the From Beyond trait for 1d10 rounds. During this period, the machine has a +10 to all tests. However, after the period ends, Madarac is knocked out and the machine deactivates.
- 81-90 The machine is knocked down on its face as an explosion rocks it's rear. Madarac takes 1d10+3 I damage to his body region. The machine may attempt to return to it's feet with a -20 penalty agi test.
- 91-99 The machine is deactivated due to a critical component being damaged. Madarac may disembark as normal, and it cannot be reactivated until extensive repairs are done.
- 100 The machine explodes in a grandiose display of fire and shrapnel. Madarac is most likely dead, unless he burns a fate point or the GM mandates his survival. Passengers may roll a challenging (-0) Agi test to flee the explosion.

: Passenger Seats : Passenger seats on the side-rear portion of the vehicle are well defended, made of the same material as the rear armor. Anyone sitting in them have cover for both legs and a good portion of the body. They are actually comfortable, with cushioned seats and cup holders, if one doesn't mind the constant screaming, exposure to danger and small working spaces.

: INJECTOR RULES :
If Madarac would take critical damage, instead an injector activates to prolong his suffering. Prevent all critical damage and he gains a temporary +5 wounds for 2d10 rounds. At the end of the time period, remove 5 wounds from Madarac. If his wounds are now at zero, the machine deactivates, and he must immediately roll for blood loss. Otherwise he operates as normal.

If Madarac would take a level of fatigue, instead an injector works to make sure he is conscious throughout his ordeal. Remove all levels of fatigue for 2d10 rounds. At the end of the time period, the machine deactivates and he is knocked out.

As a free action, Madarac may invoke emergency protocols and trigger any of the above without their respective conditions. This may only be done if no such injectors are currently in effect.

: Weapons :
- Chainsaw Fingered Manipulator Arm (right) 1d10+3 R, PEN 2, Tearing, Can Grapple, If grappling; attacking with this arm is a free action once per turn.
- Best-Quality Rotary Saw Arm (left) 2d10(+1) R, PEN 3, Tearing
- Twin-linked Flamers (Body) 1d10+3, PEN 3, AoE(x2) (basically hit everything on the ground in front of him in a wide 20m radius fan), Flame, If charging; firing them is a free action.

Advance Cost : 1000 XP, approval from Inquisitor (along with funds), 2d10 insanity (With Madarac it does not count since no one keeps track of it anyway.

if I get enough people who match my timeframe.

Does anyone match your timeframe?

I can play on Saturdays after 6 GMT and Sundays after 2 GMT.

Alright, I'll put up an OOC in a bit. Saturdays... GMT... so saturday nights in my region. =_=

We'll see.