Chasing Moths (Mocking_Jayy and Desu Juice)

Status
Not open for further replies.
[fieldbox="Cassius Albanus, cyan, dashed, 10"]"I'm not crying..." He lied, and quickly turned away from her.

There was silence, for some time. Cassius stood up and walked carefully towards her, and settled back down beside the girl, no longer careful about maintaining the distance between them.

He sat close enough that they were touching, and the feeling comforted him. Warmth was a welcome deviation from the whips and knives, and the dull aching of his prosthetic limb.

"It's not fair that I know how you got your scars, and you don't know how I got mine." Cassius whispered, so that the men beside their tent wouldn't hear. "Do you want to hear my story?" He smiled gently- almost looking like he was back to his old self.

It was a distraction from the uncomfortable feelings of guilt. Cassius needed to talk to get it off his mind.[/fieldbox]

[fieldbox="Farah Montague, blueviolet, dashed, 10"]
It was a lie that Farah was fully aware yet she didn't question him about it, instead the girl just laid there and closed her eyes. The silence that ensued after wasn't exactly the most comforting thing but she was far too exhausted to even try. It wasn't until the ruffle of clothes and clanking of the chains, did Farah open her eyes to see Cassius shuffling towards her. Her side felt the warmth of is leg as sat besides her and for a second she felt a small ounce of comfort in the touch, but it was quick to fade with the dull ache she felt.

The mere mention of her scars caused for her to close her eyes, wanting to curl up and just disappear. They were a rather touchy subject. Fortunately, they wouldn't be the topic of this conversation but it would be about him and his scars. The burning marks had been clear enough when they stripped him of his armor, yet she felt that it wasn't in her place to ask about them. "Okay...sure." Farah answered quietly as she looked up at him for a second, before moving her gaze forward, starring at the wall of the tent. The marks running along his skin had frankly intrigued her, so now that he was offering the opportunity to learn on how they got there, well she would jump at it.

The rain persisted outside of the tent and a couple of raindrops managed to slip through the small holes the tarp had. Of course they would give them the shittiest tent they had, they were their captives after all.
[/fieldbox]

Last edited:
[fieldbox="Cassius Albanus, cyan, dashed, 10"]Cassius dipped his head as she approved his choice of subject matter, and breathed a long, sad sighed. He smile stayed strong, after all, it was a story distant to him, and fadded like some of his battle scars. There were only some things from it that shaped the man's quirks today, but few that really imprinted on his life.

"I belonged to a noble family that lived in a villa... One night, I spotted shapes moving in the darkness from my balcony. I told the servants, who saw nothing and chalked it up to a child's overactive imagination." He paused, and looked down at Farah, watching her breathe. Cassius was grateful that she was here- not grateful for where they were, but just happy that they were together.

"It turned out that they were bandits who wanted revenge on my uncle. We didn't know what for, and never found out. They called out for him to come out of the house, and he didn't. He was too afraid. So... they threw torches and tried to burn him out." He shifted, chain rattling as he tried to move his arms to alleviate the strain of having them pinned back.

"My family and I were caught in the crossfire. They ran outside to get away from the blaze... and were all killed, or taken by the bandits. I have no idea what happened to any of them. Ironically, my uncle and I survived."

His smile grew serious as he said, "He died of illness two years into my Elite training. I felt nothing, he never apologized for that night, nor did he ever tell me why it happened."[/fieldbox]

Farah remained silent as she listened to his story, though she couldn't help but to notice that they had face similar situations. The bandits. The fire. The death of loved ones. The pain it brought along. They were also both left in the dark, wondering why the bandits had attacked and brought such a fate upon them. The only difference was that she was kidnapped after the raid of her villa. Those several months had really molded her into the person she is today. Though it was quite sad because despite the tough front she put up, it shielded the girl who was afraid of the world and paranoid. Not only that, but it had brought along the trust issues she had now.

For a moment she remained silent, unsure of what to even tell him. Would her words of comfort suffice? Barrius's words of comfort had worked on her though only to a certain extent. She felt as if she was looking back at herself when she thought of what to say to him. "I know how you feel..." She started but didn't know in what direction she was heading with her words. "I..." She paused for a good deal of seconds before finally reaching a decision. She would tell him of that horrible night or at certain parts of it.

"The night the bandits arrived was the day of my birthday. We had just finished eating, in honor of another year of life I was given. Mama," God, she hadn't said that word in ages and it caused for a lump to form in throat, causing an ache to settle in but she continued on,"was tucking in my younger brothers while I talked to my older brother in the dining room. We heard a scream and we immediately rushed up the steps towards my siblings' room. We pulled open the door and...and..." Farrah squeezed her eyes shut images flashing in front of her face, as if she was reliving it again. Tears sprung to her eyes and this was the very reason why she kept this story bottled up, hidden from the world. It brought back pain like adding salt to a wound. "I'm sorry." She whispered, her voice cracking half way.

[/fieldbox]

[fieldbox="Cassius Albanus, cyan, dashed, 10"]Cassius was about to do the usual- take meaning from his sorrowful tale and express it in words, but suddenly Farah began to speak.

It caught him completely off-guard. He hadn't expected her story to come and follow his, and yet he understood how grateful he should be that Farah trusted him enough to let her story loose from the reaches of the wounded soul she hid.

"It's ok..." His surprised expression changed back into a reassuring smile, and he leaned closer to her to sun her with his kind smile. "You don't have to tell me if you don't want to... But, just so you know... sometimes it's better to get things like that out, lest they turn into a burden too heavy to bear." He was quoting Albanus, and it was clear that the words were memories that meant much to him, judging by the distant, fond expression on his face.
Cassius wished his hands weren't bound- he'd reach out, maybe try to comfort her with a wary hand on her shoulder...

There was something he could do for her while she spoke, if she wanted to... It would leave him weak, but it was night anyway- he could sleep the vulnerability off.

"... I can heal you a little bit, if you'd like me to..." Cassius began, hoping the interjection wasn't too bothersome.
[/fieldbox]

It was difficult to keep telling the story of that tragic night,but she wanted to tell it to him. Why? She didn't know. Maybe it was because she's been holding it in for so long and she needed to let it out, just like he said.

At his offer, she furrowed her eyebrows and thought for a second. "Will that be okay with you?" She questioned while starring up at him with a bit of hesitance in her gaze. "It won't affect you negatively, will it?" She didn't want him to get because of her. It would only make her feel more guilt.

He couldn't help but to remind her of Barrius. He had been the one to find her at the side of the road, more dead than alive. It was still a wonder to her ho she still manage to survive those couple of minutes as they headed back towards his tavern.

[/fieldbox]

[fieldbox="Cassius Albanus, cyan, dashed, 10"]Cassius only smiled. "Don't worry about it."

He shifted to give her more room, and realized with the rattling of his chain that he wouldn't be able to channel the magic through his hands. It needed a focal point...
He would have to think of something else to work as a channel. It was healing magic, so it was less dangerous than channeling, for example, fire- but a misalignment of the forces could potentially cause adverse effects to whatever part of his body that he forced it through.

"Could you lift your shirt up please?" He asked, shameless and blunt like only a professional healer would. He hoped it didn't make her too uncomfortable, but he desperately wanted to help her- and to alleviate the guilt he felt for letting this happen.[/fieldbox]

Farah didn't know whether he was telling the truth or not, but it surely wouldn't be a probably if he was offering, right? His next set of words took her by surprise, but she reminded herself that he was just trying to help her. So the girl moved her arms down and pulled up her shirt as best as she could. "There." She murmured as she fully laid on the ground again. She couldn't help but to feel like she was exposed or perhaps that was just how she felt given what she had gone through with the bandits.

"Are you sure this is alright?" Farah questioned.

[fieldbox="Cassius Albanus, cyan, dashed, 10"]He nodded to himself. "Yes, I think so..."

The stared, wide-eyed at the deep, red gashes crisscrossing her back. Cassius went silent for a time, eyes growing watery again, then breathed in and out to focus. He would make it up to her, he needed to make this better.

"Keep talking, it helps me focus." It helps me stay conscious, he altered the last part of the sentence in his head instead of saying it out loud. He didn't want her to worry about him... Anyway, he was sure that he would be fine. Cassius had practiced this many times over the years, and by now he was sure that misfires were rare enough that he didn't need to worry about them.

He focused inwardly, testing the waters and feeling the magic spark through his veins as he lowered his head to the blood. A very faint light slowly intensified around his form as he settled into the healing magic, and his hair was blown back away from his face with the strength of the spell.

Cassius smiled, parted his lips, and breathed on the wounds- a single puff of air. That was enough to kindle the process, and his strength was slowly sapped. Cassius could see no change in the wounds yet, and he knew they would take a long time to mend, but he couldn't find the will to worry about it.[/fieldbox]

At his request to keep talking, Farah complied and continued from where she had left off in her story. "My brother and I opened the bedroom door only to see blood splattered everywhere ..." Farah paused, feeling the urge to puke get she managed to keep her nausea at bay. "The bandits had climbed into the bedroom of my brothers and unfortunately Mamá and my two younger brothers were there. Everything else seemed like a blur and I only recall the bandits dragging me out of the villa. They had set it on fire and it was a great contrast to the dark night. The only blaze in the night." The girl was lying since she did recall everything after finding her mother dead in the middle of the bedroom. It was all too much to talk about and it would surely open the lock to all those emotion withheld inside of her.

Ever since then, when she was rescued by Barrius, she had built a wall up and it only grew stronger and higher as time went by. All the hate, the pain, and the despair held in. It was still a wonder that she hasn't had a full out breakdown.

The bandits were to blame for it all, which was why she went out for revenge. To get them back for all they have caused and to avenge the death of her family. Yet...she couldn't even do that. She was in the hands of the very men who did this to her. A bitter and humorless chuckle left her lips. "To think I came seeking revenge." The girl murmured as she rested the side of her head against the coolness of the dirt.

[/fieldbox]

[fieldbox="Cassius Albanus, cyan, dashed, 10"]As Farah spoke, Cassius's magic knitted to torn flesh across her back with great effort.

He listened closely, eyes half-closed as his vision flickered each time the great, red lines grew slightly smaller. "I'm sorry that you had to... go through that..." Cassius said, weakly. Their stories were similar, although it was fair to say that her's was much more painful.
And not only because of the torture. What made it worse was that Farah hadn't found the peace that he had found through Albanus.

The crimson cuts were still there, but they were scabbed over and dry by the time Cassius couldn't handle staying upright anymore. The male faltered, drawing away from Farah's back to keep from falling on the wounds, and flopped to his side, chains jangling brightly behind his back.

He found himself face-to-face with the girl. Both were pressing their cheeks into the Earth, mirroring each other in all but expression. "I'm sorry..." He wore his smile well, even if it was a weak, and tired one. "That's all I can do..." He trailed off as the room spun around him.[/fieldbox]

Her back felt as if it she was being tickled yet at the same time it was burning slightly, sort of bittersweet. Though after a minute Cassius collapsed besides her and Farah pursed her lips. He had lied ad said it wouldn't affect him. She didn't like when people hurt themselves for her.

"Don't apologize. Thank you so much." Despite her feelings, the girl knew when to praise things people did for her. The pain on her back had lessened dramatically. "Just rest." She spoke out to him, her voice for once holding out a gentle tone.

[/fieldbox]

[fieldbox="Cassius Albanus, cyan, dashed, 10"]"It was nothing..." He whispered, as if afraid to frighten Farah away. The male was always quite mild, but never so careful before.
He worried that she was much like a little bird... like the nightlarks he could hear beyond the tent- one wrong move might make her take wing, and Cassius couldn't allow that. He watched her for a moment through his pale lashes, azure eyes deep like the sky.

"Ok..." That was all Cassius needed to hear before he shut his eyes. It was like magic in itself- Farah's tone had never been sweeter.

The male spiraled down into a deep sleep, utterly exhausted.

...[/fieldbox]

(( yoooo sorry for the crappy post, feel free to do a timeskip, lol. ))

Farah watched Cassius slip off into sleep, before follow d after him.

------

"Wake up!" A voice growled out before her wrists were tightly ceased and moved behind her back. The clanking of chains resounded behind her before metal cuffs were tightly adjusted to her wrists and locked with a chain, holding her wrists together. The next thing she felt was the coolness of metal shackles around her ankles that were connected by the chain running in between.

Athalos glared down at the brunette before ordering the other male with him to repeat the same process with the blonde. Leaning down, he lifted up her shirt and his brows furrowed in confusion. Normally wounds like that didn't heal like this. Tightly gripping the color of her shirt, Athalos lifted her off the ground and brought her closer to his face. "How?" The question was simple, yet Farah refused to answer. Instead she spit in the man's face. If she let them know that Cassius had healed her then surely things would go horrible for her bodyguard and she didn't want that. Immediately Athalos backhanded her and let her drop to the floor. "You'll regret that. I'll make sure you will." He snarled before exiting the tent. Afterwards a couple of men came in to haul them out of the tent.

[/fieldbox]

[fieldbox="Cassius Albanus, cyan, dashed, 10"]Cassius was jolted awake by the sound of a voice, and it took him a few seconds to remember where he was.

Cassius sighed sadly.

He let his ankles be bound again, meanwhile watching with wide eyes as the man noticed Farah's mostly healed wounds, and she spit in his face. The girl had a bad habit of making things much harder for herself, didn't she? His heart did a painful flip in his chest when Farah hit the ground... He didn't say anything, afraid of speaking in Athalos's presence, as always. The last thing he wanted was an early-morning beating.

As Athalos turned to exit the tent, Cassius noticed his great sword was strapped to the bandit's back.
A terrible rage immediately filled his heart with an ugly hatred, and his eyes narrowed like those of a lion being challenged by an outsider to their pride.
The moment the iron shackles break to let him loose, Cassius swore at that second that he will bring nightmarish reckoning on these men - they deserve nothing but to be torn to shreds.

Men came to haul him and Farah back to the altar. Cassius noticed the stillness of the world around him - it was another grey day. He winced as he felt tiny drops of rain patter against his shredded back.
[/fieldbox]

Last edited:
Refusing to be taken so easily, Farah let herself become limp-dead weight that would surely make them struggle. A small snicker escaped her lips when she heard the two bandits grunt when she became far heavier than she originally was. A kick met the side of her ribs and Farah hissed in pain, yet remained limp in their hold. She was as stubborn as a mule and she was not about to give them the satisfaction of her complying to their orders just because they beat her. She would not revert back to that hopeless child that did everything they told her too just to survive. If she did, then it would signify that she gave up, that she wouldn't fight anymore and that was not what she wanted.

Instead of trying to get her to comply, the two men just drag her across the muddy ground, dirtying her trousers further and causing for mud to cake on her shoes. Deciding to mock them further, Farah glanced between the two with a smirk. "How sad, you two can't even carry me properly. Are you really that weak? Athalos must be proud to have cronies that are as strong as you two." The man to her right took the bait and glared down at her. "Weak? You have some nerve girl. Take a look at who has you captured. You and that guard of your are the weak ones here." He growled out while gripping her hair and turning her to face up at him. "Ew. Do you ever wash your mouth, your breath stinks!" Farah scrunched up her nose in disgust and the man's eyebrow twitched before he tightly gripped her collar. "Keep running that mouth of yours and you'll find yourself without a tongue pretty soon."

Reaching the altar, the guy she had insulted slammed her into the peg and began to tie her up with her binds extremely tight. The rope was practically biting her skin and the more she moved around, the more she felt the rope burn.
[/fieldbox]

Status
Not open for further replies.