CHARP! The Keepers: A New World - January 14th Friday @ 2PM to 5PM Central

Added to Calendar: 12-15-21, 01-14-22

ARE YOU ATTENDING?


  • Total voters
    4

Diana

Divine Space Witch Ò◇Ó
Original poster
ADMINISTRATOR
Invitation Status
  1. Not accepting invites at this time
Online Availability
10AM - 10PM Daily
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
thekeepers.jpg

THE KEEPERS: A NEW WORLD
JANUARY 14TH FRIDAY @ 2PM TO 5PM CENTRAL TIME​


The S.T.A.R.S. (Survival Transfer And Relocation Station) Project Colonizer ship has set out from Earth to find a new habitable planet. Because space travel has yet to be perfected by humans, it still takes hundreds of years before reaching new systems and galaxies. The majority of the occupants on board must be kept in a cryogenic sleep, only to be awakened when they reach a new world. These colonists are cared for by a small team of people that live out their lives simply for the sake of keeping the colonizer ship functional. Occasionally new people are awakened from the cryo-chambers to take over.

It’s been centuries since the colonizer has left Earth and it’s coming into the territory of inhabited space. A planet with the perfect conditions for human life is drawing closer. But something went terribly wrong. An unknown lifeform got into the ship and corrupted the cryochamber system, awakening the entire ship of a thousand colonizers before their time.

Captain Wainwright of the ship Debris is dead and the last of the living colonists have crash landed. There is a chance that anyone with cybernetic implsnts may be infected by a strange techno-alien virus. Who will take on the role as new captain? Can the Keepers help organize the colonists to create their new home -- or have they crash landed on a terrible new world?


EVENT INFO


WHO: Everyone is invited! Character Bios/Pics are not required, but totally encouraged! Post 'em if you got 'em.

WHAT: You are either one of the current generation of Keeper crew that was running the ship before it crashed planetside OR one of the newly awakened colonizers. If you are a colonizer with cybernetic implants, you are at risk of infection. Everyone is now on the planet, how you got there is up to you!

WHERE: Join us in the KEEPERS chat room. You'll find the link to our chats in the CHAT tab when it's time to play.

HOW: This is a ACTION SETTING WITH IMPROVISATIONAL GAME MASTERING. That means the object of this roleplay is to interact with other characters, and from those interactions I will create a plot and story around you. There will be action moments, where strange events will happen and your characters will have to work together to resolve it. With this ChaRP "lol random" behaviors are discouraged -- what your character says and does will have in game consequences, so choose wisely!

My roleplays are always NEWBIE FRIENDLY so even if you are terrible at roleplay or have never participated in a ChaRP before, this will be easy for you to get involved in. :D Ask questions, let me know when you need help. I often give tips and direction out of character in the main chat room when people need a little direction.



EASY CHARP TIPS!


Try to show up a good 10 to 15 minutes before the ChaRP is to begin. That way you can read up on any important info, and it makes it easier for your GM to know how to start off the ChaRP when there's a head count.

Don't worry if another player is doing something similar to your idea. DO IT ANYWAY! Similarities and things in common happen in real life too. Everyone also plays differently, so two characters who are both "sweet and shy" will still end up being totally unique people. Two assassins could create a fun and interesting conflict!

Talking to other players about their character before the roleplay is a GREAT way to create connections and background for your own!

Post SHORT AND FAST. Charps are very quick pace and contain a LOT of players. Players can't wait 20 minutes for you to write a wall of text, and if there's too much text they won't be able to read it fast enough and will MISS details. If it takes you longer than two minutes to type your post, you are taking too long and might get lost in the action. This is an exercise in quick and concise writing!

Make sure your character name is mentioned in every post, close to the start of it if possible. This is especially helpful when there's many players, so we know who is playing what character.

Like in Real Life, a character may not be able to acknowledge or notice your character immediately because they are engaged in doing something else. (For example a new character walking in to the room, but the other characters arguing about muffins and do not see them.) Don't get discouraged if you go can't get someone to interact with you right away. Just keep posting and doing actions with your character, or even approach others who also seem to be idle and it WILL happen.

Do not take events in the roleplay personally or assume that bad reactions are because they think you/your character sucks. Everyone is playing a character and reacting to things as their character would!
 
Last edited:
  • Thank
Reactions: Zarko Straadi

Zarko Straadi

Edgenoble
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per day
Writing Levels
  1. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
Genres
Sci-fi, fantasy, magical, modern, Steampunk
1636725380969.png Name: Mihari Jirae
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Orientation: Bisexual
Profession: Engineer, Technoshaman
Bio: During the early era of Solar System travel, the crews of cycleships on long-haul Hohmann transfer orbits to the planets and Asteroid Belt adapted to permanent shipboard life as they brought crews and supplies to far-flung bases. They developed their own culture and customs, and came to call themselves the Cotu (Children of the Universe) Tribe. When humanity began launching interstellar voyages, the Cotu were in high demand as ship designers and Keepers, since they were already fully adapted to life in space.

Mihari's ancestors passed the Cotu ways down to her, and raised her to be a Keeper as they were. She held her Ship to be sacred, and did all in her power to care for Her needs. After Captain Wainwright's death, the role of Acting Captain fell on her. Her tenure was brief, as the ship came under attack, and she was forced to evacuate the crew and passengers and attempt a crash landing.

Now her Ship is dead, and she finds herself trapped at the bottom of a gravity well, faced with the challenges of survival on a planet, an environment completely alien to her.

Personality: Mihari carries an air of mystery about her. For her, science, technology, magic, and spirituality are all intertwined, centered on her Ship, which she revered as a living being. The Debris was not merely a vehicle, or even her home; rather, it was a Whole, of which she was inextricably a part. Now it is truly debris, and to Mihari it is as if the larger part of her self is gone. Deep in mourning, she struggles to hide her pain and be strong for the other colonists, at least until her fellow survivors can arrange for new leadership.
 

littlekreen

Edgepeasant
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per day
  2. One post per day
  3. Multiple posts per week
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences


Sukarma - Exo armor.jpg Name: Sukarma Lexicon
Nicknames: Little Mīkāl (old reference), The First Bulwark, The Ghost Relays (keeper legend)
Titles: Black bulwark (Bulwark code-name)
Age: Born before the age of intrasystem travel
Birthplace: Sol, Earth
Gender: Female
Avatar: 140cm (~4’7”) 163kg (359lb)

Species: Biomechanoid Emergent Intelligence, Deep space operations vessel
SubSpecies: Human neurobase, Synthetic silicon-based organic life for other ganglia/biomatter
Body Size
Stem to stern: 130m​
Widest diameter: 11m​
Compressed wrap position: approximately 90m with 18-20m diameter at the furthest point​
Damage: Thermoregulatory strain, ventral cuticle layer destroyed, Ventral thermal scarring, general forward cuticle damage, moderate avulsion of ventral armor in the secondary layer, ventral docking plate warped by impact, dropship docking sheath lacerations, torsion and stretching of dropship anchors, multiple tool head channels compromised, Retro-vent thermal damage, Engine anchor fatigue, engine arm bracing weave distension, tool arm bracing weave distension, minor amputation of tool arm, multiple landing gear microfractures, landing gear emergency skid anchor damage, Landing gear toe disjointed, minor folded fusion reactor instability, glial discontinuities from multiple concussions, active threat countermeasures impacting executive processing.​
Dropship 1 - Industrial
Body length: 7m​
Seats: 1 primary​
Damage: superstructure compression, minor cuticle damage, toolhead anchor plate fracture, minor impact damage, rib shock sheath torsion bruise/tearing, satellite ganglion injury.​
Dropship 2 - MPV
Body length: 7m​
Seats: 2 primaries, 4 secondary (in cargo area, collapsible)​
Damage: engine vibrational misalignment, multiple impact damage, structure rib fracture, cuticle layer lacerations.​

While she had been an outgoing sort before the death of her mother, Lexicon, the subsequent long years of isolation left her subdued and terse. Though her eyes cast down less from her time with Bulwark helping to deal with the grief. Much of the time still seems mirthless in bare responses of efforts forever wearing a helmet to obscure her nature. Finding meaning in her new family is more loyal to the core of her duty than Bulwark itself. In the words of her mother to both provide sanctuary to innocents against the deepest dark and chastise their demons.

History 0: In some ship depths are suspension gear carefully walled in and squirreled away from the other sleepers their existence entrusted a captain to protect a ship as a reserve should a threat arrive. In the modern era often a set of security or engineering personnel more than human after the rise of cybernetics. Though this one is something more a single hidden sleeper unlogged and unrecorded in ship systems and encased in an armored EVA. The rest of the sealed berth was occupied by a ship. Barely surviving a wake-up as something tampers with the stasis systems Sukarma cuts her way out of the secure cask to get at service tunnels even if she feels terribly sick.​

After finding the captain a tense meeting is averted by catastrophe. After helping subdue the locals with Warwick the others went to the bridge to try and avert disaster. Far from the bridge and with a dire constraint told Warwick, and likely others overhearing, of her nature. Evacuating to her hidden berth loaded up whoever would go or simply threw the shell-shocked through the door. As much time spent as she could afford while ripping hardware from the walls with her tool arms sealed the inner door of the cask's reinforced hidden causeway. As the ship shuddered free ash from its orbital burn Sukarma blew the explosive package flinging free the external door and exposing her hidden cask to a view of the planet below and behind a scorching veil of immolating plasma sucking out the air.​

Magnetoplasma engines erupt in a sprint to full throttle as she pulls ship and self into space the resistant organic cuticle layer grating against the Debris' side pressed by plasma headwind. Others inside not in a pilot's cask frozen in place as hyphae coalesce out of the walls to hold them in place. As she spins free of the entrance her engine tentacles flail to dance around the superstructure of the ship at heavy G. The course of an errant escape pod hurriedly flung free of oncoming superstructure she could take but it could not. Now trapped in the plasma eddy of the Debris' atmospheric headwind dropped into preparing for the fury of fire to come.

Finally ejecting from the gyre with what executive aid she could get from Warwick or others, trimmed her angle of attack under the oncoming shrapnel from Debris, flexed her main engines, and engaged retro-thrust with a glow of molten salt thermal pipes keeping her interior from boiling by the effort. She wasn't a landing craft, this was a one-way trip, as her own impact though more controlled made for a bright blue four-pointed comet on the horizon of the escape pods. Crash skids smash into a plateau and trail a shower of sparks behind her as the rock shudders and quakes from the seismic impact of the Debris. The land starts to sink beneath them as the oncoming plateau edge crumples beneath them.

Eventually to a battered stop under an avalanche of stone and metal charnel. Just enough light filtered through large gaps on seared external cameras to hope she wasn't trapped as her consciousness wavers with heat exchangers and her cuticle layer dumping heat into the atmosphere.​
 
Last edited:

Diana

Divine Space Witch Ò◇Ó
Original poster
ADMINISTRATOR
Invitation Status
  1. Not accepting invites at this time
Online Availability
10AM - 10PM Daily
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
My mum passed away this morning, so this charp and my other December charps will be rescheduled in January.
 

Zarko Straadi

Edgenoble
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per day
Writing Levels
  1. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
Genres
Sci-fi, fantasy, magical, modern, Steampunk
I'm very sorry to hear that. 😢 My condolences.
 

littlekreen

Edgepeasant
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per day
  2. One post per day
  3. Multiple posts per week
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
pouring out a knitting basket for the fallen grandma. my condolences.
 

Diana

Divine Space Witch Ò◇Ó
Original poster
ADMINISTRATOR
Invitation Status
  1. Not accepting invites at this time
Online Availability
10AM - 10PM Daily
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
I LOVE YOU GUYS AND I AM SO HAPPY TO GET BACK TO CHARPING!

This charp has been rescheduled for Friday 14th from 2PM to 5PM!
 

Zarko Straadi

Edgenoble
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per day
Writing Levels
  1. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
Genres
Sci-fi, fantasy, magical, modern, Steampunk

  • Diana:
    WELCOME TO THE KEEPERS CHARP!


    Today at 11:34 AM



  • Diana:
    This is a sci-fi setting where a colonizer ship has crash landed on a habitable planet. Will they survive long enough to build a new home?


    Today at 11:35 AM


  • Diana:
    TYPE FAST, TYPE BRIEF! This is a real time roleplay, so you don't want to be too slow or too wordy. Try to keep posts to 10 sentences or less so nobody misses out on action or details!


    Today at 11:37 AM


  • Diana:
    HOT TIP: Write your character name in every post. That way we know what character you're playing - especially if you're playing multiples! You can also use bbcode color to help your posts stand out.


    Today at 11:37 AM


  • Diana:
    Game Master and Narration posts appear in this bright bold yellow. Pay attention to those because they are guiding you to what to do next in the story.


    Today at 11:38 AM


  • Diana:
    My roleplays are always NEWBIE FRIENDLY! If you get confused or have any questions I'm in the main chat room to help!


    Today at 11:38 AM


  • Diana:
    (◉,◉) (◉◇◉) (⊙,◉) (⊙◇◉)


    Today at 11:38 AM

  • Diana:
    We open to a crash site, where for the past several days the surviving passengers of the DEBRIS have been slowly building shelters with the derelict wreckage of the ship, scoping out the nearby surroundings, and trying to make sense of everything that's happened. Everything is strained as the trauma of the tech-virus and the crash has left so many confused and frightened. Who is in charge? What do they do next? Where have they landed?


    Today at 12:48 PM

  • Zarko Straadi:
    Mihari felt a wave of relief wash over her as she and Virginia topped a rise, and she saw survivors making what they could from the debris of Debris. "Virginia! We made it!" Though she was exhausted, a new surge of energy put haste in her steps as she headed for the crash site.


    Today at 12:58 PM

  • Diana:
    "...!" Virginia wanted to hoot and holler or say anything really, but she found herself mute with relief at the sight of hundreds of colonists alive and well. ...and perhaps also a little bit terrified. With a few of the local flora and fauna that she and Mihari had stumbled upon during their long walk to find the crash site, there was no telling what sort of state they were going to find everyone in. Virginia couldn't imagine waking up from a cryosleep like this. But she quickly got her bearings and caught up with Mihari.


    Today at 1:02 PM

  • The Mood is Write:
    Warwick was there, too. He was missing an arm, but he wasn't bleeding and didn't seem at all negatively affected by it except for occasionally forgetting. He was going through people, examining who needed care and who was fine.


    Today at 1:03 PM

  • Diana:
    Amongst one of the people trying to take control of this situation was a Keeper by the name of Joven. Right that moment he was barking orders at anyone he stumbled across without any real rhyme or reason. Since the crash he'd self appointed himself as boss and was making sure as many people as possible knew that. "What are you doing Warwick?! Stop wasting time examining people, we need to make sure we scavenge all the lost weapon supplies!"


    Today at 1:06 PM

  • The Mood is Write:
    Warwick stared at him, then went right back to what he'd been doing. "People first." In his mind, he _was_ the weapon, the main one they needed. Joven could also function as something of a grenade, at this point.


    Today at 1:07 PM

  • Zarko Straadi:
    "Warwick!" Mihari said, glad to see a familiar face. Her dark features lit with concern as she noticed that he was missing an arm. Yet somehow, he seemed not to be in any pain or even hindered, except for the occasional un-handy absence of a hand.


    Today at 1:10 PM

  • Diana:
    Joven was surprised to see Mihari alive, as well as the young Virginia and didn't bother to hide it. "Though you burned up in the atmosphere," he commented. "No matter, we could use a tech singer to help salvage anything that's still working. As for you," he squinted at Virginia. "Go be useful somewhere. Or help this one-armed janitor consolidate supplies."


    Today at 1:15 PM

  • The Mood is Write:
    His jacket still had its arm, he just lacked what usually filled it, and he smiled at the sight of someone familiar. "Mihari." He nodded. "Virgini..." He cut off, then looked to Joven. "She's the captain," he said bluntly. "Not you."


    Today at 1:16 PM

  • The Mood is Write:
    With that, Warwick approached Joven, then gave a 'love tap' to the man's nose, breaking it.


    Today at 1:16 PM

  • littlekreen:
    With a broken toe and a torn ventral side it had taken several days to walk to the campsite. Thankfully it was mostly melted plastic, metal, and carbon obscuring her external cameras other than some boulders burying her engines. The thunder of legs and a strange beaten tentacled shape crushing through the forest had initially caused a bit of alarm. At least until warwick popped out an airlock. Sukarma had been in and out of conciousness for a while and just now popped her sarcophagus from a wall of her mess hall. The two dropships were on the ground now and used for power so she ignored the others and dropped to the ground.


    Today at 1:19 PM

  • littlekreen:
    "My everything hurts.", Sukarma lamented from under a helmet and suit now devoid of broken electronics.


    Today at 1:20 PM

  • Zarko Straadi:
    Mihari raised an eyebrow at Keeper Joven. He seemed to be acting unnecessarily rude. Before she could even open her mouth to correct him, Warwick did so in a rather more percussive way. She widened her eyes, but said nothing. He'd had to deal with Joven for the last several days; she hadn't. "Virginia, please help Warwick," she said, then hurried to the injured Bulwark. "Sukarma, is it?" she said, grateful that she remembered the name after all that had happened, and the brief, chaotic time she'd "known" her. "I will do my best to help treat your injuries. At least those of your technological elements," she said. Without her contact lens screens and Debris' main computer she lacked the skills to be much of a medic for biological injuries.


    Today at 1:24 PM

  • The Mood is Write:
    Warwick then went back to checking people. It was a job of several days, but because it was important, he did it himself while other keepers managed other things.


    Today at 1:26 PM

  • Diana:
    "Damn right she's Captain," Virginia muttered under her breath. She looked a little put off by Joven in general, but instructions were instructions. After a few days traveling through the jungle with Mihari, both she and the other woman needed actual food rations, and as the new acting captain, Virginia was going to make sure Mihari got everything she needed. "Warwick, you keep doing' what you're doing and make a list of surviving passengers and what they need. I'll get on inventory and make sure food rations are going out."


    Today at 1:28 PM

  • The Mood is Write:
    "Thanks," Warwick said with a nod. "Get something to eat, too, for both you and the Captain. You both need it," he urged.


    Today at 1:29 PM

  • littlekreen:
    Sukarma limped her way over and passed the rifle to her shoulder. A fine hyphae poured out of holes in the back of the suit and yanked the rifle. It stuck to her back in a rapidly plastic goo. "Yes, Sukarma Lexicon. Since I'm planetbound now until someone makes mass driver. My cuticle will heal eventually but somebody needs to build new armor and substrate." It wasn't said with spite but more a certain disappointment.


    Today at 1:30 PM

  • Diana:
    Joven looked as red as an ancient beet. "You know, I've been handling things since we crashed here. If it weren't for me, none of these people would still be alive. I think that merits a little respect. We shouldn't be wasting time on the tech enhanced when they could be infected. The infected are what landed us on this damn planet to begin with."


    Today at 1:30 PM

  • The Mood is Write:
    "Joven. They are victims as much as the rest. Shut up before I break something else."


    Today at 1:33 PM

  • littlekreen:
    Sukarma snapped her eyes on Joven, "If they're suspect then keep them aboard me for now. We aren't in a position to be discarding people like broken toys. I can keep it out of me."


    Today at 1:33 PM

  • Zarko Straadi:
    Mihari nodded to Suikarma. "But you are not in pain? If you are fit for duty, please take charge of defense. Make sure the perimeter is secure and if possible assemble an armed force from among the able-bodied survivors." Then she turned to Joven. "Keeper Joven, what are your areas of expertise?" Though she knew his name, and had seen him around the Ship, she had not been his manager and (once again, with regret) she could not consult the Computer.


    Today at 1:38 PM

  • Diana:
    "Maintenance," he said with a snort. But he seemed to know when he needed to shut up and raised his hands in surrender. "I'll get back to work," he muttered, followed by something unintelligible under his breath, before he backed away and then left them.


    Today at 1:40 PM

  • littlekreen:
    She put a hand on the plate midriff as the ship did the same in the background, "I'm in a lot of pain. I just can keep going. If you can get someone to get clear the four crew EIGENsuits of electronics It should work as armor. You can't use the guns you'll break every bone in your body."


    Today at 1:40 PM

  • The Mood is Write:
    "I heard that," Warwick shot after him. Having supernatural senses was helpful sometimes.


    Today at 1:41 PM

  • littlekreen:
    Sukarma two palms in front of her as a fine mist organized into a loose black threading of her sense of the area, "I don't have a great view of the area from the ground. I'll refine my map as I patrol."


    Today at 1:45 PM

  • Diana:
    Meanwhile, Virginia was doing exactly what was requested and then some. There didn't seem to be any organization to how the encampment was set up, Supplies were all over the place, and there was no centralized location to keep track of, well... anything. As soon as she found a crate of tech (and made sure it wasn't infected) she did a little bit of tweaking to one of the pads for the start of a digital record and central command. They'd need to set up a main server somewhere for sure later, but for now this would do. In the process, she also started directing people to take specific supplies to different shelters. A medical supply hut was imperative! A place for food. Somewhere for defense... There was so much to do!


    Today at 1:46 PM

  • Zarko Straadi:
    "Keeper Joven," Mihari called out, "please clear the crew EIGENsuits of electronics," she said, then turned back to Sukarma. "Can we improvise a way to mount the guns on the perimeter, so they can be used?" As she had so many times since this disaster began (and especially since the death of Debris), Mihari felt far out of her depth. She knew nothing about the Bulwark or her systems. Had things gone as they were supposed to, she would have been long dead before they reached the planet and the Bulwark force needed to be readied for deployment.


    Today at 1:47 PM

  • littlekreen:
    She tapped the back of where a jack would be on the neck then mock-held the rifle and rolled her shoulder, "The EIGENsuits connect you to my local noosphere through neural jacks for cyber defense. Without it there's no recoil compensation. Someone will have to build an emplacement to take the recoil or learn how to drive my MPV and plug it in there for power."


    Today at 1:52 PM

  • Diana:
    Joven had his orders and he obediently went to do them. ...or at least that's what it looked like. While the others were busy, and well out of earshot of that wanker Warwick, Joven eventually came across Virginia while she was working. He gave her a hand with some of the tech crates, after all he did have orders. After a bit, he struck up conversation. "It's a shame about the Captain," he casually remarked. "Wainwright, I might. Got shafted right out the airlock after being infected. Funny how that happened right after that Tech Singer got full control of the Debris. Not that I think she's a murderer, but with the virus and all..." he shrugged, continuing his work.


    Today at 1:57 PM

  • Zarko Straadi:
    "Warwick, can you drive an MPV?" Mihari asked. Apart from Sukarma herself, Warwick was by far the most combat-capable among the survivors, so far as she knew. Though she was far from any kind of military strategist or tactician, mobile firepower sounded better than jury-rigged fixed emplacements. "Virginia, do we have any operable recon drones available that can interface with Sukarma's systems?" The Colonists were supposed to have flying reconnaissance drones that would enable them to quickly explore the areas surrounding their landing sites. That is, if things had gone according to plan and they had been able to land their dropships properly. But who knew what had survived the crash?


    Today at 2:01 PM

  • The Mood is Write:
    Warwick was staring at Joven as he spoke to Virginia, and then turned his attention to Mihari. "I don't know what that is," he answered, unable to lie.


    Today at 2:02 PM

  • The Mood is Write:
    "Also, I think Joven's up to something," he added.


    Today at 2:02 PM

  • littlekreen:
    Sukarma looked at the Debris in the distance then back to Mihari, "If Debris had a psyche like I do I guess she'd want me to do what I can. I can't get the MPV in the air without some serious rebuilding of the engines so keep in mind you're taxing an spacecraft not a dunebuggy."


    Today at 2:04 PM

  • littlekreen:
    The thought came to mind as she stood there, "Did the pod I tossed free of the gantry make it? I didn't have time to track where I tossed it."


    Today at 2:06 PM

  • Diana:
    Virginia froze, midway drawing up some camp plans. This guy was clearly an asshole, she knew that, but Captain Wainwright was her father. She needed to know what happened to her father. "What the hell are you talking about, Jovan? What are you saying?" Mihari's attempt to contact her via comlink fell on deaf ears - if Mihari killed her dad, how was she supposed to even respond!


    Today at 2:07 PM


  • Zarko Straadi:
    Mihari sighed. "Do you think he is infected?" Unlike Warwick, she did not have superhuman hearing to pick up Joven's words. "Have you lived on a planet before?"


    Today at 2:07 PM

  • The Mood is Write:
    "I've been on lots of planets," he said. "It sounds like he's making things up about the former captain to Virginia."


    Today at 2:08 PM

  • littlekreen:
    "I haven't been on a planet since before all you were born", said Sukarma busy looking for where the man called Jovan went off to.


    Today at 2:10 PM

  • Diana:
    Jovan just shrugged, looking completely oblivious to Virginia's discomfort. "That's what happened? Everyone knows - at least all the surviving Keepers do. The virus was infecting everyone with techno implants. Apparently the Captain - rest his soul - had one. Almost everyone with one got infected and went on a murdering spree. You'd think a tech singer would be able to find a way to work around that but... She yeeted the Captain right out into space. I just think it's weird all that happened and now we're crashed on this planet and now suddenly she's in charge..."


    Today at 2:10 PM

  • The Mood is Write:
    "He's that way," Warwick said as he pointed. "Can someone take over here? I can't lie, and I was there when it happened."


    Today at 2:11 PM

  • Zarko Straadi:
    Mihari nodded. "I think it might be best if you took command. I am like a child here."


    Today at 2:13 PM

  • Zarko Straadi:
    "I can go deal with Joven," Mihari added.


    Today at 2:14 PM

  • littlekreen:
    Sukarma nodded then looked grimly at her dropships, "You're doing fine, acting Captain. There's always dissenters. Just watch them around your family."


    Today at 2:15 PM

  • The Mood is Write:
    "He's making you look like a villain," Warwick said. "I think it's wiser if it's _not_ you."


    Today at 2:16 PM

  • littlekreen:
    Sukarma knelt down next to Warwick and removed a water packet from her pocket and gave it to one person, "Here, you look dehydrated. If you need more I have water on the ship."


    Today at 2:20 PM

  • littlekreen:
    Though there wasn't anything on the screen she interacted with her mind's eye on it moving a constellation of information around mid-air. Reading numbers off medical modules she barely knew how to use directly.


    Today at 2:22 PM

  • Zarko Straadi:
    Mihari blinked in incomprehension. "Why? What would he have to...never mind. Please go resolve the situation. Try not to kill him," she said, with the briefest hint of a smile. "If it is about Virginia's father, please tell her she can come to me, and I will hear anything she has to say, and answer all her questions. On our way here...we were so busy just trying to survive..." Mihari had wanted Virginia's last memories of her father to be of him in life, not visualizations of the horror of his death.


    Today at 2:23 PM

  • The Mood is Write:
    "Understood." Warwick nodded as he went to Jovan and Virginia.


    Today at 2:23 PM

  • The Mood is Write:
    "Joven. I was there when it happened, and you're wrong."


    Today at 2:24 PM

  • Diana:
    "You've got a lot of messed up ideas Jovan," muttered Virginia. Still, she wasn't seeing any of the words on her datapad, and her stomach had twisted up into a knot. Of course she didn't believe that Mihari had murdered Captain Wainwright to take over the shit! That was crazy! She'd spent several days in the jungle with the woman, surely she would've even said something about it too. Still.... Once she spotted Warwick, she took a deep breath and shoved all those feelings down. She didn't get a chance to tell him their progress before he immediately called out Jovan.


    Today at 2:24 PM

  • Diana:
    "Am I wrong?" commented Jovan with an air of innocence. "It's even in the logs. Our present Captain made the order to evict the prior Captain."


    Today at 2:26 PM

  • littlekreen:
    Sukarma muttered while checking curious people poking at her visor, "I'm going to end up carrying someone away like a bowling ball, aren't I."


    Today at 2:28 PM

  • The Mood is Write:
    Warwick sighed. "You are wrong in how you are explaining it." With that, he took a deep breath. "What the two of you are about to see isn't a hologram. It's... magic. It's what I saw." With that, he reached out to each of them, and they saw, smelled, felt, and and knew in the former captain's final moments as he had, how they'd tried to save him before he handed over command, how the stink of heartbreak filled the air.


    Today at 2:30 PM

  • Zarko Straadi:
    "Please do not bother Sukarma," Mihari said to the people poking at her visor. "I will not be able to rebuild your engines until we have an operational industrial printer, but if there are any other vital systems of yours that are amenable to repair, I will do so as quickly as possible," she said, gesturing with her Omnitool.


    Today at 2:32 PM

  • Diana:
    Joven was effectively horrified - not by the tragedy he saw, but by the display of magic. Magic was not something heard of in this day and age of technology, even the ways of the Technoshaman weren't so mystical, foreign, or strange. That was at least based in technology and science! "What kind of fucked up demonic alien sorcery is this?!" He was well on his way to sputtering and creating a scene!


    Today at 2:34 PM

  • The Mood is Write:
    "I'm not demonic," Warwick said, offended. "I'm fae."


    Today at 2:35 PM

  • Diana:
    ...meanwhile Virginia stumbled three steps to the side and immediately threw up into a bush. There was no telling which part got her, but it was very clear by the washed out features of her face that she wasn't doing so well.


    Today at 2:35 PM

  • littlekreen:
    While she had a external camera on the area so she could multitask Sukarma moved on to another, "I appreciate it, I have a remote surgical bay that needs repairs and my folded fusion engine is a little unstable. The engineers need to stay out of secure chamber in life support. There is nothing wrong in there. It's just the other half of my reprodctive parts and I will de-birth them if they try getting in."


    Today at 2:38 PM

  • Zarko Straadi:
    "Do you have any remote sensing capabilities?" Mihari asked. "Were you able to contact any of the other crash sites, or the source of the signal that was sent before the final attack?"


    Today at 2:41 PM

  • The Mood is Write:
    Warwick stared at Virginia, concerned. "It was... very intense. I'm sorry. Mihari says she is willing to talk to you about anything at all."


    Today at 2:42 PM

  • Diana:
    Before Joven could make any more accusations, or Virginia could even reply to Warwick, a strange rumbling began! First seeming far off, but grew close enough that people could feel it in the ground! It felt almost like an earthquake!


    Today at 2:43 PM

  • The Mood is Write:
    "Shit...!" Warwick ran to Virginia and picked her up, since she wasn't in much state to handle herself. "Joven! Help keep people safe!" he shouted. Even if he was crazy fae bullshit, his priority was protecting people. "You can try to mutiny after this is over!"


    Today at 2:46 PM

  • littlekreen:
    Sukarma turned many of her radios off after the attacks started and hadn't re-engaged them. She looked at her body as the shaking began. Two dark humanoid shapes fell out the airlock then ran with flailing arms toward her and the acting captain. Between the shaking it fell over mid-way and she pointed as the suit clad in what looked like watery black clay splayed open from some new seam, "Captain! Warwick! Get in a suit! I can run the displays manually!"


    Today at 2:47 PM

  • Diana:
    Joven indeed did NOT try to help keep people safe, especially when the cause of the ground shaking appeared. Almost at the edge of camp something burst up from the ground - a giant long slithery creature with snake-ish scales and body, and giant crocodile maw. It opened it's mouth to give a putrid KHIIISSSSSSSSSS with several long twirly tongues and immediately snapped it's jaw around a whole-ass human before swallowing them whole.


    Today at 2:52 PM

  • The Mood is Write:
    "Shit...!" Warwick put Virginia down on a hard, hopefully protective surface, then ran at the slithery creature, a silver dagger in his hand. He didn't hear the order to get into a suit.


    Today at 2:53 PM

  • littlekreen:
    With her primary body moving at a glorious 2 km/hr she couldn't help with her bulk unless it was kind enough to stand still in front of her. Manually it was. Sukarma stood among the crowd but couldn't take a shot being so much smaller than all the others. The heavy metal suit plus her person pounded hard into the dirt as she closed distance.


    Today at 2:56 PM

  • Zarko Straadi:
    "What is that? Can you detect anything?" Mihari asked. She knew only the basic, primary-school information about how planets were supposed to work. A natural quake seemed unlikely, unless this world was exceptionally geologically active. Then humanoid forms started coming at her with flailing arms. She nodded to Sukarma's instruction, then pointed her backpack-mounted sealer gun at the creature and fired away until the sealer pack ran dry. Intended for sealing hull breaches in the Ship, it fired a hematite-black substance that solidified quickly in air. In proper use, the sealer would cover the hole and harden, preventing the continued escape of air. In this case, Mihari hoped it would seal the beast's maw, or at least impede its ability to attack. As soon as the gun ran dry, she shouldered out of its straps and ran for the suit Sukarma had indicated.


    Today at 2:56 PM

  • Diana:
    Virginia didn't even get the time to process the revelations about her father's death and the causes of it, now that a big creature was attacking the crash camp. That was definitely not one she and Mihari had ran away from in the jungle! This thing was huge! And a predator! One that seemed to travel underground, which was not good news for their current campsite. While the others tried to manage the creature, Virginia lept from her perch to direct the passengers to safety! "GO! RUN TO THE WRECKAGE! GET ON METAL SURFACES AND STAY OFF THE GROUND!"


    Today at 2:59 PM

  • littlekreen:
    The inside of the Eigensuits were things of hexagonal padding plates with a moving network of white things with a look of mycellium. The suit itself flexing like a flower its own back flexing aside so the human could board. A monotone voice said from inside, "Threat. Enter immediately for uplink."


    Today at 2:59 PM

  • littlekreen:
    Her rifle flipped forward with white threads and raised as it gave the whine of charging capacitors, "My tool arms took a lot of impacts and I can't deploy sensors easily! It looks organic. Try and shoot it in the mouth! There's a Gauss pistol on the hip!"


    Today at 3:02 PM

  • Diana:
    KHIIIIISSSSSSSS! One human was not enough food for this predator it seemed. It slithered and jumped trying to snap up anyone who was too slow to run. Strange little nubbins? Legs? were all over it, but it seemed on the surface it wasn't nearly as fast as agile as it could be under the ground.


    Today at 3:06 PM

  • Zarko Straadi:
    Others might have been uncomfortable with the eerily lifelike technology of the EIGENsuit, but for Mihari it was perfectly natural. More natural in fact, than the actual nature she'd been dealing with for the last few days. The Bulwark's technology was military-grade, and had (thus far) been able to resist the invasive alien tech, so she climbed in. The suit sealed itself around her, and its HUD came alive. She drew the Gauss pistol, aimed it with targeting assistance from a reticule in the HUD and started firing in short bursts. Thankfully, the suit's powered actuators compensated for recoil, giving her far better accuracy than she would have had on her own. She aimed for the mouth; the soft flesh of its maw would be much more receptive to Gauss rounds than a carapace evolved for tunneling through hard-packed dirt and rock.


    Today at 3:09 PM

  • littlekreen:
    "CLEAR DOWNRANGE!" came a deafening cry from Sukarma and her main body. A second later she knelt with a pound of her boot backward to brace. She took aim as she slowly personed the inside of her rifle the sabot gauss round entering the chamber.


    Today at 3:09 PM

  • The Mood is Write:
    Warwick didn't care what guns hit him, though at one point he looked back in annoyance after one nearly took his head off, only for him to stab the thing and drag his dagger through, slicing through as many nubbins as he could to keep the thing from going anywhere away from him.


    Today at 3:12 PM

  • The Mood is Write:
    "Take the shot, I'm fine!" Warwick shouted.


    Today at 3:12 PM

  • littlekreen:
    Something at the back of her neck started to crawl, a faint fluid sensation, as the suit prodded for network connectivity. Sukarma, otherwise engaged, could not tell the suit not to attempt to nerve-connect to open ports. If it found one shortly to proclaim the initiation of the neural firewall. As the mind of a ship tried to drag her outer psyche under its protection.


    Today at 3:13 PM

  • littlekreen:
    Warwick saw a green laser erupt over his head as Sukarma flipped it on, tracking the fast moving head and waiting for a shot. As she heard the creature and saw warwick stabbing it aimed center-mass instead of the moving head. Sabot entered the chamber as she willed the rifle to fire. A volcanic detonation of chamber plasma the gauss round erupted with a flash and shockwave of dust as Sukarma started opening supersonic rounds at the creature. Sabot clips flinging erratically from the end of the barrel.


    Today at 3:18 PM

  • The Mood is Write:
    Warwick used his inhuman strength to hold the beast still for the blast, only to cough blood as the shockwave of the round jellified quite a few of his organs and part of his brain.


    59 minutes ago

  • Diana:
    The creature's outer layer of skin was thiiiick and hard to penetrate, though it's nubbins came away like they were nothing with the slice of the dagger. The projectiles did much deadlier damages, managing to shoot right through the thing's body, sending splurts of deep green and dark brown goop and gore spluttering in every direction! It hiiiisssed and flailed wildly in the air before a final shot seemed to strike right through it's brain. It landed on the ground with a loud earthquaking THU-THUMP.


    58 minutes ago

  • Zarko Straadi:
    Mihari didn't have a neural port, though she knew enough about implant tech to understand what the suit was trying to do. "Suit, switch to eye-track interface and voice control." She was grateful for the sound insulation the suit provided. Sukarma's heavy firepower would have been deafening otherwise.


    57 minutes ago

  • The Mood is Write:
    Warwick continued to grip the thing even as it finally died, and then he set it down before he stumbled a few steps, unsteady, then fell on top of it with a wet thud. Fae boy down.


    54 minutes ago

  • littlekreen:
    "Acknowledged, Dhimmi.", Said the monotone voice in Mihari's suit. The same wet feeling slipped around the front of the neck and faint pips of light swam in from the sides of her vision as something crawled on the outer surface of her eye. Sukarma's AR interface erupted into life as it offered systems access.


    53 minutes ago

  • Diana:
    Virginia waited until it seemed like the situation was under control before she allowed anyone to step foot out of their hiding places, and then immediately directed the Science Crew to set up a station for testing. They might as well find out if the creature was edible, or if it could be useful for medical or anything else!


    51 minutes ago

  • The Mood is Write:
    Warwick pushed himself up a few moments later, unwilling to stay down as long as there was even a chance of continued threat. His good eye wasn't in his head, though. It had been jellied and fallen out of its socket.


    51 minutes ago

  • littlekreen:
    Sukarma stood up, exhausted by using her personal batteries to fire the gun, hoping there weren't too many more of these things. On the way grabbing the other suit partly dragged it up to the monster. It did the same for warwick's body that she was about to reverse to the creature's stomach. Sukarma started cutting at the creature with his knife to see if the people were still alive.


    51 minutes ago

  • The Mood is Write:
    Warwick, confused as hell, began to struggle. "Whuddh...!?" he slurred, some of his speech centers affected.


    46 minutes ago

  • Zarko Straadi:
    I really...really do not like this planet! Mihari thought. She resisted the urge to blink as the interface nanofluid flowed over her eyes. She'd truly missed her contact-lens screens since giving them up during the alien-tech attack on Debris. "Locate nearest medkit," she said. A glowing green outline formed around the nearest one, instantly picking it out from the surrounding wreckage. She ran for it, grabbed it, and headed for Warwick. The suit was a little awkward to for her to run in, but it wasn't so different from the EVA suits she'd used all her life. She gasped in horror at Warwick's condition, but he didn't seem terribly inclined to die, or even relax his state of alertness. Mihari opened the kit and pulled out a medscanner. His readings were...just plain strange, but there seemed to be accelerated tissue regeneration involved. "Warwick, what do you need? Will our medical technology work for you?"


    45 minutes ago

  • littlekreen:
    Sukarma stopped trying to stuff a human leg into a sock and turned around to look at Warwick then back to trying to cut gristle away to get people back, "Is he okay? I didn't think he was conscious!"


    43 minutes ago

  • The Mood is Write:
    "Ishin my... ebeydin... melt...?" he managed after a struggle. Honestly, the worst of the damage was internal but his eye was still gone and he couldn't see because of it. With his other eyepatch being fake-tech (a glowstick in a fancy eyepatch) he looked a wreck, even as he struggled against the weird thing trying to climb around him. "Alb...!"


    42 minutes ago

  • Zarko Straadi:
    "Warwick, please nod if your physiology is compatible with our medtech," Mihari said.


    39 minutes ago

  • The Mood is Write:
    "Y...esh?" He didn't nod, possibly nervous that doing so would make him fall over entirely, even as he tried to struggle more against the weird thing trying to wrap around him.


    37 minutes ago

  • Diana:
    "Captain...?" Virginia had approached nearby, but not too close. She appeared to be a bit green at the sight of Warwick, but attempting to keep a cool and calm demeanor. In fact unusual cool compared to what Mihari was used to from the girl. "Captain, this should help." In her hands was the tweaked datapad, complete with the start of the new control center for the camp and the entire Debris. It's wasn't going to connect Mihari to everything - not yet - but it was a start. The first piece of what was going to be the new Debris Colony.


    36 minutes ago

  • Zarko Straadi:
    He looked human, but as far as the medscanner was concerned, he was made of pure WTF. Some of the energies (?) he seemed to be producing were not even compatible with known physics. So she wasn't going to just start injecting him with anything until she knew it wouldn't do more harm than good. Then he answered, sort of. "Alright, I am going to inject you with concentrated nutrient fluid and regeneration enzymes," she said, then did so.


    34 minutes ago

  • littlekreen:
    The suit half-wearing warwick's legs reached out and plucked the eyeball from the ground. Sukarama didn't look around so much as an executive task window opened near it on Mihari's hud as Sukarma thought. She hadn't heard Warwick's explaination and said back to them, "Why is this eye still viable? Is it cyber tech?" The suit's other hand tried to fumble at warwick's hand to get it to the one with the eyeball.


    34 minutes ago

  • The Mood is Write:
    Warwick caught the eye in his hand and blinked in confusion, only for a nerve spasm to accidentally squish the thing. Thankfully, his socket had a new eye by that time, and he just looked confused as he looked around, his brain a bit slower. "Whas... ew..." He stared at his hand with the eye goop on it. At least he had a new, working eye.


    31 minutes ago

  • The Mood is Write:
    He was also starting to otherwise regenerate, but his brain was the slowest part of that, given it was the most complex organ that had partly been turned to jello by the shockwave of the last big shot.


    27 minutes ago

  • Zarko Straadi:
    "Thank you," Mihari said to Virginia. Inwardly, she noted the young woman's formality and felt her heart sink. They'd been on a first-name basis during their adventure together. With a few eye-tracks to icons, she linked the datapad to the EIGENsuit's systems. "Virginia...I'm sorry...we never got the chance to talk about your father. He...he had an experimental cybernetic arm. The alien infestation...infected it. I took him to a nanotech testing bay to try to remove the arm, but...it separated itself from him and started to attack him by growing tendrils." She sniffled. "I...was able to cauterize the wound, but...but the bay's systems couldn't contain the alien tech. He...he ordered me to...to purge the bay. He...he gave his life for Ship and Crew. I'm so sorry, Virginia!" She reached up to wipe a tear, but her gauntlet hit the suit's faceplate.


    25 minutes ago

  • littlekreen:
    Unfortunately the creature had chewed and Sukarma just pulled bodies out of the creature's gut. They weren't as... fixable as Warwick seemed to be. She just turned around and put her head in her hands then breathed deep. Collecting herself from the memories said, "Warwick. Put on the damn suit in case there's more. I'll even give you the pointy stick back."


    24 minutes ago

  • littlekreen:
    Sukarma looked up at Mihari, delayed by the suits nonconnection, and made a wiping motion. The faint feeling of disembodied fingers brushed the tear away as worker units moved it aside.


    23 minutes ago

  • Diana:
    Something Mihari said must've had an effect because there was a visible shift in Virginia's features. Still, she remained mostly distant. "...we should make finding a better camp site top priority. Somewhere with rocky soil." Her toned softened a bit as she looked back at the frightened passengers now coming out of their hiding places. "I don't want to talk about right now, but we can talk about it later."


    21 minutes ago

  • Zarko Straadi:
    "Thank you," Mihari said softly to Sukarma, then turned back to Virginia. "I don't know what Keeper Joven said to you..." <sniff> "But I would give anything to have your father back. He was my Captain all of my life. He was a part of me. But you are right, we need to relocate the camp."


    19 minutes ago

  • Zarko Straadi:
    Through the datapad, Mihari was able to locate a functional recon drone and launch it. With any luck, it would find them a new location to move to...


    18 minutes ago

  • Diana:
    Elsewhere Joven had slinked off in the chaos, but it seemed he had a few friends of his own. Others who weren't so keen on the weird mysticism of tech shamans or the eerieness of Warwicks strange magic. People who thought they would make a better command for this new colony. ...THE END. FOR NOW.
 
  • Thank
Reactions: Diana