Charlie Hebdo

Status
Not open for further replies.
They do not have to agree with what Charlie portrayed, it's about standing up to those that would try and terrorize us to silence.

The objective of terrorists that assault or threaten media that negatively portrays Islam or figures within it is to cause those negative portrayals to cease. If they do indeed cease as a result, that is a victory for the terrorists.

Censoring or neglecting to show the material that inspired the shootings is appeasement, a vindication of the Paris shooters, and tantamount to spitting on Stephane Charbonnier's grave.

Malicious acts of violence should not be allowed to become successful in achieving their political aims. Any level of self censorship that occurs as a result of the shootings at Charlie Hebdo is deplorable.

Charlie Hebdo's been accused of blasphemy and of insulting the Prophet in the past (they had a satirical issue "guest-edited" by Mohamed and re-named Sharia Hebdo), so I suspect it's something to do with that.

And seriously, chums, if you turn this into another fucking argument I will dispense slappages.
Commence the slappage!

The objective of terrorists that assault or threaten media that negatively portrays Islam or figures within it is to cause those negative portrayals to cease. If they do indeed cease as a result, that is a victory for the terrorists.

Censoring or neglecting to show the material that inspired the shootings is appeasement, a vindication of the Paris shooters, and tantamount to spitting on Stephane Charbonnier's grave.

Malicious acts of violence should not be allowed to become successful in achieving their political aims. Any level of self censorship that occurs as a result of the shootings at Charlie Hebdo is deplorable.

Do you see a thread prefix entitled 'DEBATE' on this thread?

No. No you don't. So enough trying to start one. Same goes for @Hellis.

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
I've backed out of it. I don't want to sour the topic. My apologies.

Terrible news. I hope the murderers are quickly brought to justice.

The magazine published some ignorant, racist stuff. Those who were killed absolutely did not deserve to die for it. They deserved to be educated. Education is the only good way to stop ignorance. One of the police officers, Ahmed Marabet, was muslim, and he died defending those people. I think the quote by Voltaire, "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." is incredibly fitting in this. I think it's really important that when we remember those who were murdered for working for Charlie Hebdo, we also need to remember those who were killed defending them.

On top of that, I think it's incredibly important to realize that this is an isolated incident. A lot of peaceful people are in danger now because of what a handful of violent ones did. We need to remember that Islam in and of itself is a peaceful religion, and extremists are only a small part of it, just as there are extremists in Christianity any other religion that has or will ever exist. I hope that those who committed this atrocity are brought to justice, and I hope that people don't try to get some kind of pseudo-justice by harming innocents who had nothing to do with the event.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
A lot of peaceful people are in danger now because of what a handful of violent ones did.
This is being asked strictly out of curiosity.
But how are people (outside of the victims of the shooting) now in danger as a result of this?

@Gwazi Magnum, by "innocent people," I mean peaceful muslims who had nothing to do with and don't condone the actions of the murderers. They share a religion in name only, but ignorant non-muslims always end up pointing fingers at the entire religion when a few who claim to believe in that faith end up doing something heinous like this. It's why American muslims faced huge hurdles after 9/11, and it's why the #I'llRideWithYou (people offered to accompany muslims on public transport to protect them from non-muslims who would potentially try to hurt them) Twitter campaign was so important.

That's what I figured you meant.

I would push on a bit more on stuff such as "Like what danger?".
But I can see that quickly entering debate territory, and Grumpy already voiced that he'd rather debates not be started here.

Gwazi, since you likely have no idea about the current European politial climate; The rightwing, the really really really far right wing, is growing stronger here in most countries. Anti-Muslim and Anti-Immigrant mindset is becoming more and more common.

Muslims who have nothing with the incident are now at risk. Immigrants of arabic decent in general i'd say. There have been several attacks on Mosques even BEFORE this bullshit happened, and someone threw grenades at a mosque in Paris yesterday. If you want to look at a nightmare scenario, look at Golden Dawn of Greece. They are proud to do Hitler Salutes and have been pursucting people of non-greek descent, going so far to drive minorities out of their homes trough violence

• Thank You
Reactions: 2 people
Nevermind the Golden Dawn: France's own Front National is gonna have a fucking field day with this.

Nevermind the Golden Dawn: France's own Front National is gonna have a fucking field day with this.
Yeah. And they were gaining ground as it was to. Its gonna get alot uglier before it gets better.

Gwazi, since you likely have no idea about the current European politial climate;
I'm aware of the growing Muslim community and that they're pushing for a more Muslim influence in England.
But I don't know of much else outside of that.
There have been several attacks on Mosques even BEFORE this bullshit happened, and someone threw grenades at a mosque in Paris yesterday. If you want to look at a nightmare scenario, look at Golden Dawn of Greece. They are proud to do Hitler Salutes and have been pursucting people of non-greek descent, going so far to drive minorities out of their homes trough violence
Alright, that's just outright awful. :/

Justice has been served to the killers, may they finally rest in peace.

I'm aware of the growing Muslim community and that they're pushing for a more Muslim influence in England.
But I don't know of much else outside of that.

Not starting a debate here. But then you should check your sources better Gwazi, I say that respectfully because you are not the only who has stated this. There has been no real 'push' for Muslim influence in England or elsewhere. Fringe Muslim groups may have tried to influence local schools in some place of England, but that is about as far as it goes. The fact that you "knew" something about "muslims being bad" shows how skewed the portrayal of Muslims in Europe is.

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Not starting a debate here. But then you should check your sources better Gwazi, I say that respectfully because you are not the only who has stated this. There has been no real 'push' for Muslim influence in England or elsewhere. Fringe Muslim groups may have tried to influence local schools in some place of England, but that is about as far as it goes. The fact that you "knew" something about "muslims being bad" shows how skewed the portrayal of Muslims in Europe is.
Probably, but admittedly it's a topic I have not invested much time into.

Nor have I ever bothered debating about Muslim event's in England (or claimed to be knowledgeable on it) whenever religion was the topic of discussion/debate.
Or claimed that all Muslims were doing it (In reflection though, I could have worded it better by going "I'm aware of the growing Muslim community, some have been pushing for a more Muslim influence in England).

Justice has been served to the killers, may they finally rest in peace.
I heard about this as well. Glad to hear that the individuals responsible were caught without any further innocent bloodshed.

Luckily the French Tactical Police is likely the best in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.