Characters/Roleplays: Meanings behind them

Discussion in 'ROLEPLAY HELP & DISCUSSION' started by LogicfromLogic, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Do characters hold special meanings to you? For instance, do you ever make a character to symbolize some part in your life that that particular character is supposed to be experiencing something similar? For me, I will admit some of my personal life comes out into the character. Like in a roleplay Fluffbutt and I were in, my character's brothers died. and well, it dealt with the loss of my own brother. It helped me get through it.

Or roleplays, do you ever incorporate personal experiences with yours? I have worked in what depression does to someone (won't mention what kind of rp it is as I am still in that rp and want my partner to be surprised by this).
  2. I try to base characters off of what I know, but still have them retain something unique, that I may, or may not want as a quality.

However, when starting a 4.0 D&D campaign a few years back, I made a Warlord only to sit back and realize he was a carbon copy of myself, completely unintended.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I had a worgen druid in WoW who shall not be named who was basically my completely carefree side. That was fun to play out. Made plenty of situations incredibly easy to come up with responses. Never waited my turn to speak either, but it was all in good fun, for most folks.

And what I think you're looking for is the ability to empathize with an RP, which is a good writing talent, to me anyway. To evoke emotion through words, how they're made or how they come off, how characters react and how they work in the world you've created.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Well, arguable, since the total sum of your knowledge is personal experience, all things you create come from your perspective of something you analyzed and incorporated as part of the total sum of knowledge you contain... Everything you make has some level of personal experience in it.

Though to actually answer the question instead of dancing around it: Yes, and yes, and it is absolutely inevitable. Fictional stories have been an incredible way to explore who and what we are for many centuries. From art, to literature, to music--nearly every method of creative expression we have has a metric ton of examples of stuff made specifically to help someone cope with something, or to try and deconstruct a philosophy or concept or person or idea, to explore something. This is one of the reasons it speaks to our metaphorical souls: Because it comes from those metaphorical souls, our collective experience of the world.

For instance, my own personal examples of stuff I analyzed both after the fact and did intentionally.

Queen Kouri (Legend Of Renalta): The backstory of the princess is watching her kingdom burn to ashes. She loses her entire life, like I did once. She becomes stronger, recovers, and deals with intense emotional states, like I did. The only real difference here was that she lost everything due to horrible smiting and fire, I lost everything due to my own immature idiocy... Yet, even then, the thing that triggers her total loss of her old life is that she declined to marry someone. So in a crude sense, she is responsible. Kinda heavy stuff.

The Last Bastion: A literal physical recreation of a fantasy world I saw in a several hour long psychotic episode I had at one of the lowest moments of my life. Every single person and creature in that universe holds some sort of symbolic meaning and it has extremely heavy religious and sexual iconography and philosophy in it. This is literally an attempt by me to understand what exactly my brain was trying to tell me, or if it was trying to tell me anything.

McKenzi Bishop (The Library): A cold of heart scientist who devotes her life to logic and reason, who then has troubles figuring out her own emotional state and interacting with people. I had a similar stage in my life and got past it. McKenzi is only getting started. :bsmile:

Point is: The examples are literally endless. If I analyze my work long enough I can find at least some shred of where my personal experiences changed how something worked. Maybe it was a personal belief, or my lack of knowledge on something, or my emotional state at the time of writing, and so on. There is no way you can separate yourself from your work, when your work literally is a manifestation of your will.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. *checks the ALL OF THE ABOVE box!* O__O

First and foremost, roleplay for me is funtimes and getting to live other lives I would never otherwise be able to live! SO I am very immersive in to my characters and the longer I play them and the more they experience, the more attached I get. >>

Secondarily, I use roleplay as personal therapy. There really is no better therapy than using a character in a similar life situation and seeing what they would do and how they would react. Rinse and repeat. I've never come to any profound realizations or life changing events because of it, but putting that energy in to the story of the character helped me relieve stress and get through whatever problem it was.

And then, of course, I totally will slip in real life experience in to characters now and then. 8D It helps make their personalities and the stories more real, because you're able to write from a perspective of someone that's actually BEEN THERE. So I like it.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. There are two RPs that I'm in at the moment where the characters and situations draw from my own thoughts, emotions and experiences. Otherwise my rps are total escapism, drawn on situations and characters I find interesting, but wouldn't want to be going through myself.

The first is " [x] " And while the overarching plot isn't one that I've ever had to deal with, Kyle's relationship with his family draws a lot on my own disconnect and distance of my own familial relations, with a few roles reversed.

The whole premise of "The Slow Spiral Down" is basically my life. On repeat. -__-;;
    • Like Like x 1
  7. It depends on the scenario for me. If it's a modern/slice of life roleplay, with very normal, realistic characters, then they usually will share a few of my traits, as it's easier to keep things realistic if my characters react that way that I would.

If it's a high school/university-themed roleplay, then, unless I make a conscious effort to do something different, the character will almost always have my teenaged personality and hang ups. I'll then use the roleplay to explore different avenues to the ones that I picked in real life, just to see what might have happened.

And finally, I try not to roleplay when I'm feeling a strong emotion myself. For example, if I'm really angry, then no matter what the character, they'll always come out sounding aggressive or angry too, or if I'm feeling unhappy, then my characters will take on some mopey traits. It's not an intentional thing, but it just kind of happens, and if I don't catch it early then I've written out a message and hit reply before I've twigged that my character is suddenly acting a bit out of character... then I have to try to reconcile them instead, so it's just easier not to roleplay until my mood settles back down.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Most of my characters are constructed in a way that they won't fail, and if they do, it is in a controlled manner. Now that I think about it, I believe I also have a strong aversion to failure - I would prefer a coasting life of mediocrity to spectacular highs and lows.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Each main character in one of my poems, novels, epics/mock epics, playwrights, RP's, or any other form of writing I do tends to be an aspect of me in some manner. Often I visualize myself as the main character, allowing me to see better through their eyes and everything they see and do, and sadly feel as well. All secondary characters tend to rep. something or someone in my life either currently or from my past. All minor characters tend to go along with the point I'm trying to make with each of my writings. Essential everything I create is a damn symbol in someway and I don't mind explaining all aspects of my works, and my mind for that matter.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I've only ever made one character, believe it or not, who was a representation of myself in any particular way. They were, however, an embodiment of something I dislike in myself and that I don't care to detail. But the answer is yes.
  11. Characters are exaggerated excerpts from the mind. That means that pretty everything my characters are, think and do somehow relates back to me. I mean you can't write what you don't know. However, I don't intentionally try to express a certain side of me, nor do I try to roleplay events similar to those that happened to me.
  12. *grins* hell yeah! I tend to use rp as a form of therpy and relaxation.. my characters, while some of them carry aspects of myself, I also tend to make them as contrasts to myself as well.. I even put qualities I don't like in my characters and rp them, just picture my suprise when I end up rping them well.

my most favorite character is the one who's personality relates to me the most, though our upbringing and backgrounds totally opposite and only shards of my personality are within him.. there's just something about his personality that strikes a cord with me.. :]

plus writting has always being a love of mine, and it gives me a sense of freedom and the chance to do things I wouldn't do in real life- like join a cult! :]

all in all, my characters (especially my favorites) are an important symbolision.. they can represent aspects of me, things I like, they can represent the things I hate.. they reprent my lows and highs, they show my triumpths and faliures.. and they help me get through the bad times.. the sad times.. and they've being their to reflect the good times :]

..uhh..sorry for the ramble..
  13. Do characters hold special meanings to you? For instance, do you ever make a character to symbolize some part in your life that that particular character is supposed to be experiencing something similar?

Most do, but for me, it depends on whether I am satisfied with what I've put down for them. Do I think the history fits them and brings them to where they are now? Is the history an out-of-this-world case in which I simply cannot stop praising myself and getting all giddy about how awesome it is? Characters I actually take the time to build, especially with awesome, possibly tragic, but definitely believable history, are the most special to me. So far, that's only been three characters out of my hundreds.

The farthest I've ever gotten to creating a character that is supposed to symbolize some part of my life is a divorce and possible step-dad, step-siblings. Other than that, I don't do much symbolizing with my characters because I like completely unique and straight-from-imagination type characters in which no personal details that you have are incorporated into your character's lives.

Or roleplays, do you ever incorporate personal experiences with yours?

Again, I like completely unique and straight-from-imagination type characters in which no personal experiences are incorporated within a series of events that focus on my character. I feel that it makes my characters more flexible and with this deal, more creativity and imagination can come out.
  14. Chloe has been a character I've had since I first started out, about 5 years ago. I've shaped her a little over the years but I have based her off how I've had to face the world.

When I was about nine years old I lost my father to suicide. I didn't really understand it until I was in high school and went through some depression. Once I started roleplaying I kind of saw the way I wanted a character to live a better life and learned from that... kind of strange haha. Any way, Chloe has to prove to her tribe that she can lead them through anything and everything, it's tradition in her tribe of elves. They send the king or queen's chosen child out into the world. They must learn how to survive, learn what is out there to protect them and see things before they get to messy to fix. No one can help her besides anyone outside her tribe.
    I have to do this for myself all the time. Think about my actions or the people I am with and how they can better me, if they can't better me then I've learned from however they hurt me.

Took me years to actually see this.