Characters and Going to College

Discussion in 'THREAD ARCHIVES' started by Diana, Apr 16, 2010.

1. I was chatting with Ocha about a couple of our characters and we got stuck in discussing their college life! Granted, if you're playing a character that never went, or an adult that's way past college... it might not make a big difference.

But it sure does add an extra element of dimension when you think about!

I have THIS LINK which lists Majors and Careers and gives a profile of them. Pretty cool!

When you play college-aged students, do you pick their majors? Do you know whether or not your adult-aged characters went to college and what they studies? Are your high-school aged characters thinking about what they're going to study in college?

2. Or, if we have a common idea, we can do a group rp with all of the figgies, cause you guys are awesome!!

3. So far, I only have one adult character who went to college, and I added a few details about that in her bio for fluff. My other adult characters did not go to college because it wasn't applicable to the setting.

My one teenage character probably won't survive her childhood and if she does, she'll probably be in jail . . . which is kind of like college for criminals, I suppose.

I work for a university, which gets to be stressful/tedious, so college is usually the last thing I want to think about when I RP. XP

4. Most of my characters never attended college - either they didn't get a chance for one reason or another, or they've never heard of one. I -do- have two, however, who attend/have attended college.

The first (and most subsequent) iterations of J.T. the Chaos mage has a degree in advanced mathematics, focusing on Chaos Theory, and Jonathan (he goes by Arclite) is well on his way to a Physics degree.

5. (I just feel bad because the way I'm writing it, it might seem like I'm doing god tier characters)

Ray

He saw her walk into the building. He went to the center of the roof of the building her was standing on and quiet said, "She entered an abandoned building, she's suspicious, which is good. Did you get enough data on her?"

Dylan: "Yeah, I've narrowed it down to 3 people based on her response time and appearance. She's approximately 5'8" but is wearing what appear to be 3 inch heels. Long white hair. Early to mid 20's."

Ray had a thought. "Hmm, sounds interesting." He waited a few minutes. "She's trying to wait out whoever she thinks is tailing her. I'm gonna head back to base. She can wait all she wants. I have work to do and can catch her whenever I want."

Dylan: "See you when you get back, sir."

Ray got up and started heading back. He waited til he was back in the lab to deactivate the stealth tech. "Hey Dylan, did you scan her suit? What kind of tech does she run with?" He walked over to Dylan who was sitting at a computer.

Dylan: "She's running with some decent tech, but it's not really made by any company. It appears to be homemade. She appears to have a voice modulator, newly installed. She was smart and left her phone at wherever she operates from. If we scanned her one or two more times, I might be able to get a lock, but for now, she's not giving us much to go on."

Ray patted his shoulder. "Nice work." He went over to a table and started working on something."

Dylan: "Captain Bullock called again."

Ray put down the project and looked at him. "Again?" He nodded. He groaned, "It's almost upsetting that we are the only ones who can appreciate the irony that the captain of the police force is trying to recruit me so they can hunt me."

Jason

"Especially when they share the abilities and physical attributes with that vigilante. Gwen, I've been trained since I was a little to basically be a spy. I know the secret. There's no use lying about it."

6. (SAO?)

Blair

She giggled as Eileen stumbled for another drink and handed it over. "First rounds on the house." Eileen said and Blair shook her head

"I got...oh wait..."

"You broke girl?" Eileen grinned and Blair rolled her eyes

"Yes."

"I got it. So Ray huh? You seem so lifelike" Eileen teased although Blair could tell that her heart was racing. Blair chuckled "it's nice to see Blair has a friend. She hasn't been here since she graduated college."

"Can't afford it." Blair mumbled. Eileen rolled her eyes

"In my mind you can always afford one shot and a root beer."

Gwen

She grimaced "That's awful. I am very sorry," she finished wrapping up her hand "I'll protect you." She winked at him as she shoved the gauze away and walked towards him "If it makes you feel better I also ran away from home. Not because my circumstances were that bad. But street life." Her shoulders shook "Main reason I started putting on the mask."

7. I guess the only character I can think of who definitely attended college University would be Grant Page, my character from Legacy who's now in the Iwaku Mass RP. Seeing how he was a British doctor at one point, he'll have a doctorate in Medicine at the least.

Oh, and maybe Jackie went to college. Probably a business course of some kind...