Writing Levels
  1. Advanced
  2. Prestige
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Nonbinary
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
I'm open to a wide range of genres. Obscenely wide. It's harder for me to list all I do like than all I don't like.

My favorite settings are fantasy combined with something else, multiverse, post-apoc, historical (mixed with something else), and futuristic. I'm not limited to those, but it's a good start.

My favorite genres include mystery, adventure, action, drama, tragedy (must be mixed with something else and kept balanced), romance (again must be mixed, and more.

I'm happy to include elements of slice-of-life and romance, but doing them on their own doesn't hold my interest indefinitely.
Character Origination Prompts​

Time to make a new character, but you're clueless? Just want to invite a new person to live in your head? Want to round out a character who's been untouched for a while?

This thread is for you and anyone else who feels like doing character work today.

Use as many or as few of the prompts as you like, and create!

How Do I Take Part?​
Each week, I will post three random prompts in line with the title theme: images, text, dialog, links to articles, or other neat things that seem like they could spark new life. I may also include bonus rounds! You can make whatever character you want, and they don't have to fit everything (or anything at all).

I'll provide an (optional) "basic" character sheet that you can use.

Click Here for the Optional Character Sheet
[b]Full Name:[/b]
(Including titles.)

[b]Nicknames:[/b]
(Including titles that aren't part of formal address.)

[b]Species:[/b]
(Could include a few notes on if they're variant or unusual.)

[b]Occupation:[/b]
(Don't be afraid to be descriptive!)

[b]Age:[/b]
(Actual and/or apparent.)

[b]Sexuality:[/b]
(Gender, physical sex, and preferences.)

[b]Eyes:[/b]
(Color, shape, position...)

[b]Hair:[/b]
(Color and style.)

[b]Features:[/b]
(Facial and skin descriptions. Eyes, nose, mouth, eyebrows, etc.)

[b]Height:[/b]

[b]Build:[/b]
(Bone structure, musculature, amount of fat, body shape—this is great for giving an idea of history and personality.)

[b]Outfit:[/b]
(What do they wear?)

[b]Body Mods:[/b]
(Scars, tattoos, piercings, prosthetics, and more.)

[b]Impression:[/b]
(What do people think when they encounter this character the first time?)

[b]Voice:[/b]
(Describe the tone, manner, volume, and more about how a character communicates: should include any nonverbal communication methods too!)

[b]Fears:[/b]
(Big or small, what frightens the character?)

[b]Motivation:[/b] (One of the two links below might be helpful.)
https://dragonwritingprompts.blogspot.com/2013/08/maslows-hierarchy-of-needs-for-writers.html
http://www.fiction-writers-mentor.com/maslows-hierarchy-of-needs/

[center][size=2]~*~[/size][/center]

[b]Virtues:[/b] (Definitions below, pick however many fit and describe how, if you are so inclined.)
Chastity ([i]Castitas[/i])
A habit of controlling inappropriate physical desires and impulses.
Temperence ([i]Temperantia[/i])
Attentiveness to one's needs, with restraint from wasteful excess.
Charity ([i]Caritas[/i])
Willingly giving of the self to ensure others' happiness and health.
Diligence ([i]Industria[/i])
The habit for performing work with perseverance, honesty, and care.
Patience ([i]Patientia[/i])
The ability to forgive and eagerness to seek paths toward harmony.
Kindness ([i]Humanitas[/i])
The sharing of one's skills and possessions for the sake of others.
Humility ([i]Humilitas[/i])
Prioritizing of other individuals and the community above oneself.

[b]Vices:[/b] (Definitions below, pick however many fit and describe how, if you are so inclined.)
Lust ([i]Luxuria[/i])
The lack of self-control over one's bodily desires and urges.
Gluttony ([i]Gula[/i])
Overindulgence and overconsumption to the point of waste or harm.
Greed ([i]Avaritia[/i])
A disproportionate valuing of material wealth and its acquisition.
Sloth ([i]Acedia[/i])
Habitual apathy or aversion to effort that results in detriment.
Wrath ([i]Ira[/i])
Uncontrolled urges that encourage one to harm to others and self.
Envy ([i]Invidia[/i])
Sad or resentful desire toward traits or possessions of another.
Pride ([i]Superbia[/i])
Obsession with one's own superiority to the detriment of others.

[b]Strengths:[/b]
(What they're good at.)

[b]Weaknesses:[/b]
(What they're not good at.)

[b]Quirks:[/b]
(Habits and other little things.)

[b]Racial Details:[/b]
(Optional details about the character's race.)

[center][size=2]~*~[/size][/center]

[b]History:[/b]
(Write a brief backstory.)

[b]Hook/Summary:[/b]
(You can include something meant to catch interest here.)

Prompts:
  1. She's a pencil-pusher.
  2. Her name is Marge—not Margie.
  3. She has a resting bitch-face.

Bonus Rounds:
  • She's not an angry person, but everyone thinks she is.
  • Her hobby is something very out of the norm for her setting and culture.

Full Name:
Marge Marshal

Nicknames:
None, behind her back...nothing nice

Species:
Human

mathematician and statistical analyst for the interstellar space corporation

35 and looks it. Not older or younger just looks her age.

Sexuality:
Female, Heterosexual if ever given the opportunity

Eyes:
Almond shaped brown eyes that appear larger due to over-sized glasses she wears because she doesn't like them to impede her view of the facts and figures she is working on.

Hair:
Mousy brown, nondescript that is generally kept in a tight bun at the nape of her neck. She attempts to put it at the back of her head daily but her hair is heavy and thick and the bun always falls to her nape freeing a few stray wisps by noon, at which time she will dutifully make a second attempt at order in the ladies' room.

Features:
She has a pleasant enough facial structure, classical Patrician with high cheekbones and open features. However there seems to be a perpetual scowl on her face from fussing over figures and discrepancies in her work. It is a habit born of the work not temperament or attitude, but most assume she is always in a bad mood and give her a wide berth because of it.

Height:
Average, 5'5"

Build:
Thick is the term she uses to describe herself. She is not overweight, and in fact spends a good bit of time exercising. Her frame is medium to large, though not in height just in weight and thickness.

Outfit:
Upon employment with ISC, all employees are issued a uniform (And a spare, with three shirts) which consists of navy pants with a gold side stripe, a crisp white shirt and a navy blue blazer which has the same gold stripe down each sleeve and side. While it is formal, the material is comfortable and gives with movement. No one complains about them.

Body Mods:
None, Marge is a simple person

Impression:
Most people take one look at her face and turn the other way assuming she's having a bad morning, day, week, or life. Those who work directly with her know her to be dogged, determined, and sarcastically humorous. However only three people work directly with her.

Voice:
Sadly for Marge her voice has an odd nasal tone of slightly higher pitch than normal that sounds as if she is whining or about to start whining. It adds to the misconception that she is angry, upset, or just a negative person.

Fears:
That she will die a virgin, that she will find a statistical anomaly that she cannot explain or correct, that power will fail and she will be trapped on the 33rd floor or heaven forbid in the elevator.

Motivation:
She loves solving problems, finding errors and correcting them. She has the ideal job.

~*~

Virtues: (Definitions below, pick however many fit and describe how, if you are so inclined.)
Chastity (Castitas)
Lamentably
Temperence (Temperantia)
In most areas, but she is a notable foodie and loves to eat. She works hard to stay fit because of it.
Charity (Caritas)
She can be giving if a cause appeals to her heart but she has little patience for beggars and those she feels do not want to earn their way.
Diligence (Industria)
She has the ability to stay focused on an issue until it is resolved completely. She cannot bear to leave things unresolved overnight, though she must at times. When that happens she sleeps very little.
Patience (Patientia)
With numbers and work, her patience knows no limits.
Kindness (Humanitas)
She is very kind and polite in nature.

Vices: (Definitions below, pick however many fit and describe how, if you are so inclined.)
Lust (Luxuria)
Oh how she'd love to prove she could be out of control...she was almost fearful for any man who presented the opportunity.
Gluttony (Gula)
Only where salty snacks are concerned.
Envy (Invidia)
Seriously envious of happy couples....seriously
Critical
Can be judgmental of laziness or lack of work ethic in others

Strengths:
Numbers, facts, analyzing data, focus, excellent memory for numbers and facts

Weaknesses:
Impatience with people, overly serious at times

Quirks:
Taxidermy is her hobby even though animals are not readily available and require dangerous excursions outside the airlocks to obtain.

~*~

History:
Marge has always been a little different. Her love of numbers and statistics began at an early age and she was slotted for training in that field by the time she was ten. She liked that her life would follow a predictable path, as that gave her the highest statistical chance for happiness and contentment in her proposed career.

Her family lived in one of the largest enclosed cities in the Americas, Bosharork (Which was known as the separate cities of Boston, Hartford and New York in times past). Pollution had forced humans into airlocked bubbles about a century ago, and most never left them. Marge however, was fascinated by animals. Only small domesticated animals were allowed to live withing the airlocks. There were nearby large farms where cows, goats, sheep, chickens and turkeys were raised and slaughtered for consumption, but they too were kept outside the actual city airlock.

Her first journey outside the airlock had been as part of her secondary education. It had been a research expedition to gather plant samples and catalog them. She had been happily doing so when a rabbit dared to get close to her to steal some lettuce. She'd been startled and lost her balance and fell on the creature killing it. Frowning, she stuff the poor dead creature into her pack and took it home. She couldn't bear the fact that it had died because of her, so she investigated ways to preserve it. This began her most ardent hobby, taxidermy. Her roomw as full of the many animals she'd captured and preserved since discovering the pastime.

Hook/Summary:
On her latest trek outside the bubble she met a man who prefers to live in the wilds. Her initial reaction of disbelief and rejection at his suggestions led to much pondering and investigation into the truth of his conspiracy theories.
{/slide}[/accordion]