Writing Levels
  1. Advanced
  2. Prestige
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Nonbinary
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
I'm open to a wide range of genres. Obscenely wide. It's harder for me to list all I do like than all I don't like.

My favorite settings are fantasy combined with something else, multiverse, post-apoc, historical (mixed with something else), and futuristic. I'm not limited to those, but it's a good start.

My favorite genres include mystery, adventure, action, drama, tragedy (must be mixed with something else and kept balanced), romance (again must be mixed, and more.

I'm happy to include elements of slice-of-life and romance, but doing them on their own doesn't hold my interest indefinitely.
Character Origination Prompts​

Time to make a new character, but you're clueless? Just want to invite a new person to live in your head? Want to round out a character who's been untouched for a while?

This thread is for you and anyone else who feels like doing character work today.

Use as many or as few of the prompts as you like, and create!

How Do I Take Part?​
Each week, I will post three random prompts in line with the title theme: images, text, dialog, links to articles, or other neat things that seem like they could spark new life. I may also include bonus rounds! You can make whatever character you want, and they don't have to fit everything (or anything at all).

I'll provide an (optional) "basic" character sheet that you can use.

Click Here for the Optional Character Sheet
[b]Full Name:[/b]
(Including titles.)

[b]Nicknames:[/b]
(Including titles that aren't part of formal address.)

[b]Species:[/b]
(Could include a few notes on if they're variant or unusual.)

[b]Occupation:[/b]
(Don't be afraid to be descriptive!)

[b]Age:[/b]
(Actual and/or apparent.)

[b]Sexuality:[/b]
(Gender, physical sex, and preferences.)

[b]Eyes:[/b]
(Color, shape, position...)

[b]Hair:[/b]
(Color and style.)

[b]Features:[/b]
(Facial and skin descriptions. Eyes, nose, mouth, eyebrows, etc.)

[b]Height:[/b]

[b]Build:[/b]
(Bone structure, musculature, amount of fat, body shape—this is great for giving an idea of history and personality.)

[b]Outfit:[/b]
(What do they wear?)

[b]Body Mods:[/b]
(Scars, tattoos, piercings, prosthetics, and more.)

[b]Impression:[/b]
(What do people think when they encounter this character the first time?)

[b]Voice:[/b]
(Describe the tone, manner, volume, and more about how a character communicates: should include any nonverbal communication methods too!)

[b]Fears:[/b]
(Big or small, what frightens the character?)

[b]Motivation:[/b] (One of the two links below might be helpful.)
https://dragonwritingprompts.blogspot.com/2013/08/maslows-hierarchy-of-needs-for-writers.html
http://www.fiction-writers-mentor.com/maslows-hierarchy-of-needs/

[center][size=2]~*~[/size][/center]

[b]Virtues:[/b] (Definitions below, pick however many fit and describe how, if you are so inclined.)
Chastity ([i]Castitas[/i])
A habit of controlling inappropriate physical desires and impulses.
Temperence ([i]Temperantia[/i])
Attentiveness to one's needs, with restraint from wasteful excess.
Charity ([i]Caritas[/i])
Willingly giving of the self to ensure others' happiness and health.
Diligence ([i]Industria[/i])
The habit for performing work with perseverance, honesty, and care.
Patience ([i]Patientia[/i])
The ability to forgive and eagerness to seek paths toward harmony.
Kindness ([i]Humanitas[/i])
The sharing of one's skills and possessions for the sake of others.
Humility ([i]Humilitas[/i])
Prioritizing of other individuals and the community above oneself.

[b]Vices:[/b] (Definitions below, pick however many fit and describe how, if you are so inclined.)
Lust ([i]Luxuria[/i])
The lack of self-control over one's bodily desires and urges.
Gluttony ([i]Gula[/i])
Overindulgence and overconsumption to the point of waste or harm.
Greed ([i]Avaritia[/i])
A disproportionate valuing of material wealth and its acquisition.
Sloth ([i]Acedia[/i])
Habitual apathy or aversion to effort that results in detriment.
Wrath ([i]Ira[/i])
Uncontrolled urges that encourage one to harm to others and self.
Envy ([i]Invidia[/i])
Sad or resentful desire toward traits or possessions of another.
Pride ([i]Superbia[/i])
Obsession with one's own superiority to the detriment of others.

[b]Strengths:[/b]
(What they're good at.)

[b]Weaknesses:[/b]
(What they're not good at.)

[b]Quirks:[/b]
(Habits and other little things.)

[b]Racial Details:[/b]
(Optional details about the character's race.)

[center][size=2]~*~[/size][/center]

[b]History:[/b]
(Write a brief backstory.)

[b]Hook/Summary:[/b]
(You can include something meant to catch interest here.)

Prompts:
  1. This character is from a swords and spaceships setting.
  2. They aren't a fighter.
  3. They aren't spacefaring until recently, if at all.

Bonus Rounds:
  • They have an intense fear of heights.
  • They live in a location with flavor that differs from their writer's home culture.

Full Name:
Lorcan Hayes

Nicknames:
Bear, Hayman

Species:
martian

Lawyer/CPA/bookkeeper in a small settlement

Sexuality:
Male

Eyes:
Martian eyes are one color on the outside and a totally different one closer to the pupil, his are light green ringed with burnt orange, and it makes him appear angry at all times no matter what his actual mood or expression might be

Hair:
green similar to the color of his eyes, maybe a shade darker, it grows straight off his head in all directions, so he keeps it trimmed to about an inch

Features:
Martian noses are flatter than humans, but they still have nostrils, his face is long and narrow and his eyes are set in somewhat of a v shape as are his brows. His lips are thin but his mouth is the widest feature on his face and when he smiled it exposed perfectly straight yellow teeth with jagged points. He also has a dark mark on his right hand that looks like he had been burned, but he was born with that mark. Some say it is the touch of the god Mars.

Height:
martians range in height from 4 feet to 11 feet. He is a little above average at 7 feet 3 inches tall.

Build:
His is very thin, and not at all inclined to athletics of any kind.

Outfit:
He wears specially designed pants and shirts, usually black pants and light colored shirts. Martian skin secretes a protective layer, so the clothing they wear has to be able to accommodate that, so all their clothing has ventilation and absorption layers built in. His style is very formal as he feels his job calls for such.

Body Mods:
Only the mark on his hand, which looks like a blade slicing a ball in half

Impression:
People find him capable, smart and effective at his job but also find him boring and aloof.

Voice:
His voice is resonant and full of authority, which benefits him well in the courtroom

Fears:
He is terrified of heights, which is why he never flies anywhere or has never been off the planet.

Motivation: (One of the two links below might be helpful.)
He wants to be known for his contributions to his town, so he worked hard to become the asset he feels he is and he works hard to maintain it.

~*~

Virtues: (Definitions below, pick however many fit and describe how, if you are so inclined.)
Chastity (Castitas)
Firmly believes in marriage and fidelity
Temperence (Temperantia)
Attentiveness to one's needs, with restraint from wasteful excess.
Charity (Caritas)
He gives to the benefit of his town, but his motives are tainted by his desire to be seen as altruistic
Diligence (Industria)
He is task oriented, so he will work until all his tasks are completed for the day
Patience (Patientia)
He is very patient and rarely loses his temper,e ven after hours of dealing with the same problem
Kindness (Humanitas)
He can be kind, and has been, especially in court cases involving an underdog

Vices: (Definitions below, pick however many fit and describe how, if you are so inclined.)
Lust (Luxuria)
He very much enjoys the warmth of his spouse as often as he can and does not consider that a vice.
Greed (Avaritia)
He is greedy for notoriety not wealth
Envy (Invidia)
He will become sullen and even depressed over attention someone else receives for their achievements
Pride (Superbia)
He is quite pleased with himself most of the time

Strengths:
Debating, problem solving, figures and math, recognizing opportunities

Weaknesses:
Humility, bravery, masking his disdain for people he considers beneath him

Quirks:
He taps his long slender fingers on the desk in a certain order while he is doing accounting work, it keeps his mind focused

Racial Details:
Martians have only 3 toes on their feet, drastically slanted eyes and brows, their skin which is very reptilian in feel secretes a protective layer of slime at all times which gives their faces a lovely glow, they also have three fingers and a thumb

~*~

History:
Loran was born to a prominent martian family. His father was a member of the martian assembly and his mother a respected and talented dancer. His fear of heights was discovered when he'd been taken to his father's workplace and entered a glass lift that was to take them to the top of the chambers to meet the president of the Martian Assembly. he'd been unable to breathe and clung to his father like a child. Unfortunately he'd been a grown man at the time. The attending physician had to sedate him to get him back down, much to his father's embarrassment. he'd attended college and excelled and then was assigned to his current position far enough away from his parents to have the freedom to live his life without their constant scrutiny, but close enough to feel secure and able to visit regularly.

Hook/Summary:
He has just been informed that he is being reassigned to a diplomatic envoy as his legal adviser on a trip to Earth.

{/slide}[/accordion]

• Love
Reactions: The Mood is Write