Changing Skies

Ryethke found herself woken both by the noise coming from the doorway - and damn, was that sunlight coming from there, too? - and Sylvester's actions as he moved her body trying to worm his way under her. The Fae blinked, groaning in a way that sounded almost like a growl as she stretched, cat-like and then lifted her head to glare balefully at the sun-child in the doorway. Maybe it was because she was still half-asleep. Maybe it was because she was clean and knew - even just subconsciously - that she was safe here. Maybe it was because she'd spent most of yesterday and the night with Sylvester. Whatever the reason, Ryeth found herself giving voice to EXACTLY what she thought of Ciro in that moment.

"I swear, ONE more chipper word from you and I will bury you in rubble."

Ryeth put her head down again, her red hair falling over her face - and over everything else really - and curled closer to Sylvester....even as she knew she really couldn't stay that way for long seeing as she really couldn't go back to sleep now anyway.

Ciro laughed cheerfully and pushed the door open. "Yeah, I kinda need you to keep the building in tact." He dimmed his glowing skin and grinned. "The kids are looking for you though, Miss Ryethke." He said, looking around the room.

Sylvester growled, but his tail thumped lightly on the bed when he felt the moon walk in behind her brother. He unburied his head and looked up, wagging his tail. As linked as he was with the fae, well, the moon was still the moon...

"Please stop being so cheerful, Ciro.." Alcmene groaned at her brother and walked over to Sylvester. She reached up, scratching him behind the ears as she looked down at the fae. "Your children are asking for you, dear." She said softly, reaching down to smooth the woman's hair gently. "They're in the hallway. I wanted to make sure Sylvester had pants on before I let them in, but if he's going to be in his wolf form..."

He nodded happily, leaning over to lick Alcmene's face.

"Good. Then I guess they can come in now."

Ciro turned and smiled brightly at the boys. "Alright. Luna said it's safe!"

Ryeth sighed, but sat up, smirking at Sylvester. "Told you." she whispered to him, referring to his need for pants because of the children. She got to say nothing more as three small hurricanes ran into the room and she was smothered under the onslaught with a shriek. Laughter soon followed as she pushed the boys off slightly and scooted further back on the bed, pulling one child up and into her lap and letting the others scramble on after him to sit near her.

"Ryeth! We were worried. Are you okay?" That was the oldest, Noah, and the Fae smiled at him, ruffling his blond hair. "I'm fine. A wolf took good care of me." She looked all three of them over, pleased at seeing that someone had cleaned them up. The Fae tilted her head, leaning over a bit to look sideways at Seth on her lap. "Have you guys eaten yet?"

A shake of the head answered her and Ryeth tickled the boy's stomach. "Then why are you here, silly goose! I can hear your stomach!" The boy giggled and Andrew smiled, but looked at the other adults in the room with a bit of uncertainty. Ryeth caught on to it immediately and sobered, grabbing his wrist gently. "Andy, we're safe here. These people are going to help us. They're going to teach you."

"We have to go away." the boy said softly and Ryeth sighed and nodded, not sugar-coating it for the child. They'd all been through too much for that. Her voice was soft, though, and meant for all three children as she included them in her gaze. "That's right, but you won't be far away and I promise, I PROMISE that I will keep an eye on you, all of you. I won't be that far away and if ever you need me, you just tell the trees or the grass or the earth itself and I will hear you. Okay?"

The boys nodded and the Fae smiled at them, kissing Seth's cheek, giving Andrew's wrist a squeezed and ruffling Noah's hair again. "Good boys. Now come on, outta bed and to breakfast with you!" As the children smiled and got of the bed, running toward the door, she shouted after them, smiling still. "Behave!"

Luna smiled and watched the children. She turned to Sylvester, watching him. You seem happier...

I have my fae... He just wagged his tail and looking at his moon.
Then take care of her. She smiled softly and turned to Ryethke. She smiled softly. "A good breakfast would do you some good as well." She said softly.

"Aiden!" He knocked on the bathroom door. "Hurry up! It's time to eat!"

"**** off!"

He laughed. "Well, alright then! I guess he isn't a morning person!"

"Ciro, dear, no one is a morning person like you are..."

"Huh. True." He shrugged and looked at Sylvester. He smirked. "Do we need to get you a dog bowl?"

He shifted up to his human form, glaring. "You're just jealous because my **** is bigger."

Ciro blinked. "I...I'm not going to debate you on that...that's childish...and I'm the sun, so no it isn't." He blinked and watched as Sylvester pulled on the pajama pants without anyone having to ask him. "Woah..." He looked up at Ryethke. "What did you do to him?"

Ryethke had climbed out of bed and was busy brushing her hair back with her fingers, using a small section of hair to wrap around the rest in a crude type of pony-tail when Ciro spoke. She merely looked between him and the werewolf for a moment before shrugging. "I suppose he likes me." She gave Ciro slight smirk - inwardly wondering just WHAT had gotten into her - and passed him, ruffling Sylvester's hair on her way to the door, knowing he'd follow and then guide her.

She looked back at the others at the door and raised a brow, tilting her head, confidence exuding from pretty much every pore in her body at the moment. "Coming?" She flashed a grin at Alcmene. "Walk with me? I'd like to know more about this place."

Ciro blinked and watched her walk past. Well. That was new and unexpected. Maybe he needed to learn more about the Sidhe and see if they were just as moody as his sister...He shrugged and followed the group out. He could always eat. During the day, he had all the energy in the world.

Alcmene, still within the full moon phase, stepped up and took Ryethke's arm. "Of course. What would you like to know? After last night, the building will be moved. I believe it's mostly shadomancers that move it. They'll move it tomorrow night. There are buildings like this all over the world, safe havens for Abnormals, places for them to get together and plan the coming Resistance Movement."

Syl looked up, walking behind the two women. He didn't know who's arm he wanted to take, so he just walked behind them. "She doesn't know about that yet..."

"Syl, you were supposed to let her in on things..."

"She was tired. She needed sleep." He frowned. "I'm sorry, Luna..."

"It's fine." She sighed softly and looked at Ryethke. "She can be filled in on the trip home, I guess...or now, if you would prefer, dear..."

Ryeth shook her head, smiling slightly. She felt completely at ease with these two. It was like having a pack member with Sylvester and...and something...something like a net of safety or a home with Alcmene. It was something the Fae felt she could get used to.

"It's not his fault. I wasn't really up for much information last night." Not with that nightmare...

The Fae looked ahead, thinking about the moon-child's offer. "I think I should learn as much as possible, as soon as possible. I just might have some things I can tell you guys, too." They'd entered the cafeteria and Ryeth froze very suddenly, making Alcmene and everyone behind her still, too. It didn't last more than thirty seconds before Ryeth made her body move again, but she was definitely not as at ease anymore.

The cafeteria looked very normal, spacious with a great deal of tables and lighting overhead. It was very WHITE. There were lines to get food in a buffet like style. That wasn't what had made the Fae freeze up, though. It was the amount of people in the large room. Somehow, she'd not expected to see them and she'd been unprepared for the flight response that had jolted through her system. That was still trying to affect her, actually.

She sought distraction. "S-so how many countries is the Network involved in?"

Sylvester moved up behind her, wrapping his strong arms around her waist. When she started walking, he was careful not to walk on her heels, but he didn't let go.

Alcmene was patient with her. She didn't try to push her along or anything. The small team had picked up quite a few Abnormals from slaves before, so she knew what to expect. "Every country where Abnormals are treated like they are lesser than Normals. You name a country, we are there. It is out mission to-"

"To change the view of Abnormals by the Normals and if that doesn't work, show them exactly who the 'lesser' species is." Ciro pipped up cheerfully. "We go in when we hear of an Abnormal child born to Normal parents who's powers surfaced and get him out before the parents can either come to harm or turn the child in themselves. You'd be surprised at how many parents turn their own children over to the government..."

"Ciro, darling..." She sighed and shook her head. "But yes, that's what we are here for. We pick up slaves, we pick up children, we've taken down a few government testing facilities...."

Syl caught a wiff of something that made his grip on his fae loosen. He turned his head to watch a woman walk past, almost making Ryethke spin with him. He started to loosen his grip, watching the female werewolf walk past.

Ryeth listened carefully, absorbing all she could - very happy for Sylvester's presence at her back - connecting it with the snatches of information she'd gotten over the last three years from eavesdropping. It would seem this Network WAS everywhere for she felt she could start connecting the dots with things she heard to the people she now was with. It made sense. It was good to know someone was striking back efficently at the Normals. She wondered if they knew about-

The thought cut off abruptly as the werewolf suddenly stopped and almost made the Fae trip over her own feet as his body turned. She blinked, looking up at him and then at what he was looking toward, sudden understanding coming to her face. The Fae snorted, rolling her eyes and bent her head, lifting the werewolf's arm to her teeth. She bit down. Oh, it wasn't enough to truly HURT, but it was enough pain to make him completely focus on her and when he did she frowned at him.

"A little warning before you stop to ogle a female would be nice, especially if you are going to take me with you for the impromptu breeding session. Got it?"

Syl whimpered and turned his full attention to her. "Sorry...she's in heat...it surprised me...um...will you be ok with Luna? If I uhhhh....if I just...go....if I promise to be right back?"

"Syl..." She sighed. "You really should eat breakfast first..."

Ciro laughed loudly and shook his head. "Do I need to get the newspaper, Syl?"

Sylvester growled and narrowed his eyes at the little sun. "Just because you don't understand why everyone revolves around you and you can't get a girlfriend to safe your damned life..."

Alcmene rolled her eyes and gave her brother a look. "Be quiet, Ciro. His breeding is none of your business. He's right, focus on your own. His breeding is up to his Sidhe."

Ryeth didn't really understand what came over her. She really, really didn't. All she knew was that seeing Sylvester so agitated by Ciro who was clearly mocking him, had done nothing but mock the werewolf since she'd met them, made her fiercely protective of her wolf. Syl was HERS. SHE was the only one who got to insult him if that is what she wished, because SHE would do it with affection. SHE wouldn't mean it.

The Fae's dark brown eyes sparked gold and her voice was a hiss at the sun-child. "If you even THINK about touching him with a newspaper like some common DOG, I swear I will find the deepest cave in the earth and lock you, oh mighty sun, in it for as long as it takes for you to develop some humility!" Ryeth practically bristled and if she'd had fangs, they would have been bared and her tail would have been raised high in challenge. "Just because he's not like you doesn't mean he's less than you."

With that, she turned away from Ciro and focused on her werewolf, speaking softly in his own tongue, a thing she'd mastered in her childhood. "I understand your need. Go. I will be fine." She smiled at him softly, demeanor completely changed and ruffled his hair with blessing.

The entire room fell silent, all eyes on the small group. Ciro stared at her, blinking. "I...buh..." He narrowed his eyes. "Come on, Alcmene. I have business to tend to."

"And I have business here, Ciro." She said firmly. "I'll be fine."

"****! Fine!" He spun around, starting to glow brightly as he stormed out of the cafeteria. "I already ate anyway!"

All eyes turned to Alcmene. There was an unease to the air, mutterings of the twins splitting up, what would happen, who would snap first. Some bets were placed and everyone hesitantly went back to eating. Though, Alcmene was still getting glances. It was just around the full moon, right? Maybe they'd be fine...

Syl snickered and grinned at Ryethke. He licked her face. Thank you! I'll be back, I promise! He spun and took off after the female werewolf, planning on impressing her with his wearing of pants and being connected with a fae....

Alcmene sighed heavily. "I'm sorry about my brother. He is absolutely insufferable in the mornings..." She took the girl's arm again and smiled. "Now then. You need to eat..."

Aiden walked up to the group, rubbing his short hair with a towel. "What happened? I just saw Sunshine storming down the hall fuming..."

Ryethke swallowed hard, suddenly VERY aware of what she'd just done. She'd just insulted one of the most powerful people here - she was sure of that - and in front of everyone he knew. She almost felt sick for a moment as she stared at Aiden and then at Alcmene and then around the room, but all it took was thinking of Sylvester's angry and yet hurt eyes to make her straighten and square her jaw stubbornly. That's right. She HAD insulted the arrogant sun and she'd continue to do so as long as he was demeaning to HER pack-member. Feeling better and confident again - if for the moment - the Fae smiled a little at Aiden.

"Ciro insulted Sylvester and I simply...told him where he could stick his arrogance." That was as politely as she was going to put it and while Ryeth felt a little bad for saying such things in front of Ciro's twin, she also reasoned that Alcmene hadn't said anything in defense of her brother, not really and didn't seem to want to get overly involved in the...argument, if that is what it could be called.

The Fae let the moon-child lead her again, both of them getting food before heading to a table. Ryeth shrank into herself just a little once they were seated, but still spoke, not really worried, but....yeah. "How pissed is he at me?"

"Damn...well...good job." He shrugged and got in line behind them. He didn't have to ask where Sylvester was. He saw him impressing the she-wolf as he walked in.

"You bruised his pride, dear." She laughed softly. "And he is, as far as anyone knows, even us, the physical representation of the sun. The world revolves around him." She laughed again and smiled at her. "But, don't worry. He can't hurt you while I'm here, and it's been a while since he hurt anyone here...usually he's protecting everyone from me..." She smiled, something suddenly rather haunting behind her eyes.

Aiden glanced at her and shuddered a little at the look in her eyes. "Yeah. Rye, don't do anything to piss Luna off during the new moon...please? Just...I don't care what she does, Syl will always respect her and everything, just...god, please don't piss her off...there's a reason the word is Lunacy..."

"You're so tactful, Aiden..." She said sourly, starting to eat her food.

Ryeth swallowed a bite of her food, purposefully eating very slowly so that she'd know when her body had gotten enough. After so long a time without adequate meals, she didn't want to start her first day of actually eating with puking. Not the best reintroduction. The Fae nodded solemnly at Aiden, appreciating his advice, though, she wasn't all that worried by it. Maybe that was just naivety on her part, but oh well. "I won't, or at least I won't try to. I know how to lay low."

She smiled at Alcmene, a soft smile like the pale-haired woman was always giving her. "Don't worry. I'm not going to think any differently of you because you go through mood-swings from hell." The Fae sighed and finally pushed her plate away. She'd only eaten about a quarter of what was there, but already she was feeling almost nauseous. "As for your brother....I understand he has his pride, but so does Syl. Just because the wolves choose to honor the moon instead of the sun does not mean they are not worthy of the sun's respect. Without the earth, the sun wouldn't have a purpose for there would be no life to adore him and without the moon, those on the earth wouldn't survive the night. They are all connected and they need to respect each other."

Ryeth smiled a bit at herself, shaking her head as she chuckled and picked at her food with her fork, the wise aura evaporating as quickly as it had come. "Listen to me, I sound like my mother..."

The woman smiled at her. "Well, you're right, aren't you? Don't be ashamed to be right. Not everyone gets to be right, so when you are, you should be proud of it and speak with certainty." She set her own fork down, yawning. "He'll be fine. He needs to be knocked down a peg or two, honestly. You just made it so I have less work to do." She winked at her and glanced around the room. Breakfast had returned to normal, the unease in the air lifting quickly as the conversations started picking back up.

Aiden also looked around the room as he ate, listening to the two women as they talked. "Ya know, I don't know if there are any other Sidhe down here...I think they're all in the northern camps...or back in the UK..." He shrugged. "There might be some around, but I haven't met them..." He looked over at her. "Do I need to pick up anything special for the guest room?"

Ryeth had been smiling at Alcmene, sincerely thinking that she could really get along with this girl - at least in this moon phase - and that it was nice to feel like she had a friend again, but the smile faded when Aiden mentioned the Sidhe. The light seemed to dim in Ryeth's eyes and the smile didn't show even a hint of a return as she looked around, anywhere but at the two people she sat with. It might appear that she was searching the room for one of her kind, but the Fae knew she wouldn't find any.

The Sidhe, pure-blooded Fae, would not be here. They were a peaceful people. They would have hidden in their underground homes by now. If there were any Sidhe involved in the Network like Aiden seemed to be suggesting, chances were they were half-breeds like her, though, some of them might not be half gifted human. Ryeth wasn't bragging, but she was a rare breed. She'd been born thirty-ish years ago when the Abnormals first started appearing. There weren't many like her.

Her voice was soft, almost absent. "No, that's fine. I don't need anything."

She finally looked back at the two and forced a smile. "Have either of you heard about any recent...massacres in Scotland or Ireland?" Had what happened to her Family happened to others?

Alcmene darkened at her question and nodded. "I have. Not much happens at night that I do not see."

Aiden seemed to realize what they were referring to and he frowned. "S***, really?...I'm sorry, Ryethke...I had no idea..." He shook his head. "They'll all be repaid, I promise you that. With what we're planning, what we're getting together..." He sighed, slouching in his seat. He looked down at his arms, then at his food. He poked at it a little, then looked up. "If...if it helps at all...pretty much all of us here have had something horrible happen in their pasts...usually the discovery of their powers...I think Emily's story beats a few, but only because blood is involved...most stories here involve child abuse, neglect, torture, captivity...Ciro's never experienced that himself. Him and Alcmene..."

"I will not say our lives were as bad as yours, Aiden, but they have not been perfect either. You know your parents. You know where you came from. You did not have to be hidden from society until you were 16 because your powers were written right on your face..." She stretched her wings, which had been out and folded at her back since they arrived. "I know your life was hard, but please acknowledge mine was no walk in the park."

"I'm sorry, Alcmene...I didn't mean to insinuate..."

"It's fine, Aiden. Just please remember that next time."

Ryethke hadn't known what to say to Aiden's halting apology and then attempt at reassurance and she simply listened as the subject shifted just a little from her own situation to Alcmene and Ciro's. The Fae was grateful it had as she struggled to breathe properly, each inhale feeling like the stab of a knife and every exhale feeling like it could be her last. There had been more, more massacres of her people. The very idea made her feel sick and it only took the Fae a minute to realize that she really WAS going to be sick.

She made a noise - or was it a word? - toward Alcmene and Aiden before lurching to her feet and rushing for the nearest garbage bin. She just made it before the contents of her stomach rebelled and she heaved the little food she'd eaten. Her body spasmed with trembles and the Fae was glad that most people's eyes watered when they puked because it hid the fact that she was actually letting the tears slip out for an entirely different reason.

Stars, she just wanted to go home....but there was no home left to go to and it was her fault.

Syl put his hand to her back gently, offering up a piece of toast with the other. He saw other humans eat toast or bread when their stomachs were bothering them. Honestly, he had grabbed it off the she-wolf's tray as something to tide him over until he got into the line, but his fae needed it more and he would readily offer it up to her. "You ate too fast." He chided gently. "Maybe you should ease into all the human foods with their...their seasonings and the like...stick to potatoes and bread for a few days...I tried a cooked steak once...it was horrible..." Aside from the bread, he also offered up a small smile. He wiped her mouth with his hand and wiped his hand on his pants. "You'll be fine...we all are after a while..."

Alcmene sighed and looked back to her food. It was always hard bringing people back. She wanted them all to be happy, but she knew what happened to them in the dark of the night. Alcmene lived the nightmares of those around her each and every night. It was one of the major reasons her and Ciro lived alone...She lift her head and looked around. Her brother was hurting. Emotionally. He was growing unstable. And honestly, so was she. She was darkening further, hardening, becoming cold.

"Well, there goes my breakfast..." Aiden muttered to himself. He got up and walked around the table, putting a hand to Alcmene's shoulder. "Hey...come on, Alc...you should have yourself under control today...the full moon was last night..."