Interacting:
Ezeran & Maven

Mentioned:
Merriam

Tags:
@PavellumPendulum & @Kuno

Hearts:
Merriam - ♥️ ♥️

The way Ezeran half smiled at the mention of driving would have summoned warm fuzzy feelings hadn't it been for the twitch of Maven's eyes at the mention of the mayor, the look of scrutiny descending upon her face as the farmer eyed Edith in judgement. It was a first in the village, which surprised Edith, who had expected to see it on the faces of all the islanders.

But she wouldn't have survived the city for so long if she couldn't take a little scrutiny, at least glad for a little feedback at last as Maven voiced the question that should have been on the mind of many, or at least hers since arrival.

"Merriam definitely painted a more aesthetic picture to me before my arrival," Edith started, a light chuckle escaping her at the word 'aesthetic', what a silly word to use, unbefitting even, but it fit. Edith had met none of the imagery given by Merriam, and it daunted her, it honestly did, but it also made her hopeful. Somewhat, for after her humiliation in the city Edith felt that this could be her redemption.

It was also true that Edith had no experience with the farming community. She had a mind for business and she grew up within the corporate world, which some might even claim to be the opposite, but still she felt confident, meeting Maven's eyes with zeal as Edith threw her blonde curls behind.

"I will leave the farming to you, but from my little tour with Ezeran I can see quite a few business ventures that could help flourish the island," Edith declared, her smile widening, a sigh escaping her as her eyes travelled over the rough landscape of the island, "of course, should you have any ideas I'd love to hear them as well," she continued, eyes turning back to the sturdy farmer that had challenged her so boldly. Edith could recognise a lady with plans from a mile away.

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: PavellumPendulum

Ezeran
Any joy he'd felt quickly dissipated. Above all, regardless of his circumstances, Ezeran was always on Maven's side. Her trust of him had set the foundation for the rest of his life, something he felt like he could never do enough to repay her for. And so, without faltering, despite the ice settling in the pit of his stomach, the happy adrenaline skidding to a halt in his veins, he watched as Maven sized up Edith, mentioning her disdain for Merriam's way of running the town (which was basically boiled down to napping in fields.) He had heard Maven's gripes time and time again. Even if Merriam didn't seem to mean any harm, he knew Maven was right, though. She always was.

He steeled his expression, but continued to wring his hands together, eyes downcast as the tension between the two women thickened the island air until it became hard to breathe.

Edith, at the very least, seemed to take no offence from what Maven was saying, which genuinely made Ezeran like her better. If Maven ended up with a positive opinion her after their conversation, maybe they could even... Hang out. Sometime.

Despite no one hearing his thoughts, he felt embarrassed. With an approving, but shy nod, he tilted his head slightly in Maven's direction, pleased that Edith seemed so open to hearing her opinion. "She's always got lots of good ideas. And she's the hardest worker I know, so it's good to ask her." His voice was a touch quiet, even though he'd decided to add to the conversation, stating things he was sure everyone involved already knew.

Code by wren.

• Sweet
Reactions: Nemopedia
JIANG
Jiang chuckled lightly at the children's enthusiasm. Luna even ran over to take his hand. He surrendered it easily and gave her hand a gentle squeeze to return the affection.

"I am happy to come along to see Elijah." Jiang responded to Paola. He liked Elijah. The old man had shown great kindness toward Jiang and his father, and he had a special place in his heart for the sailor.

"Hm?" Jiang pondered as the girl made the declaration that she knew what woke him, and he smiled following her proclamation. He had not seen a ghost in a long time. Not since he had been a child. But he knew they were still there, he could still feel them, even if he couldn't see them. Jiang did not know why he had stopped seeing them but he hoped someday he would see them again.

"There are many ghosts at home," he replied as the small group strolled along. "But I have never seen Kenji's ghost there. He lives on his hill."

"Hm," Jiang pressed a finger to his lip at Poalo's comment. "We do not know she wouldn't like Kenji's Hill," he stated softly. I like it there, he thought. And he knew he wasn't alone in that sentiment.

"But maybe it is for the best to give her a brighter welcome," he said, addressing Luna this time. "Spooky is not for everyone. And we don't want to share all of our secrets with her too soon," he added in a conspiratorial tone.

"Let us forage her a bouquet of wildflowers," he said. It was something pretty and sweet, and a lot of fun to create.
@MaryGold
Code by Jenamos

MAVEN

Somehow, Maven's stony exterior grew even more impassive as the words of the soft-handed, smooth-tongued city slicker washed over her. Her eyebrow quirked. So - bringing new businesses to the island was her role, then? Edith didn't seem inclined to elaborate further, and something shifted in the farmer's eyes. When the new girl fired back with a question of her own, Maven's arms crossed, and her weight swung onto the other hip.

Perhaps only Ezeran would have been able to tell, but Maven's interest was piqued. Only time would tell if it would be to the benefit or detriment of little Miss Edith from the city.

"Yeah, sure. Ideas. Everybody wants 'em."

She gave a short laugh.

"We'll see what you're made of first. Get your feet wet, see the rest of the island, see that mayor of yours, and we'll see if you stick around long enough to use some ideas. I've got a feeling you don't know quite what you're in for."

Heaven knew Edith wasn't the first ambitious politician aiming to rejuvenate the island only to turn tail and leave, just like all the other families that had used to live on the island. There was a hint of bitterness in Maven's voice. Deep down, she cared about Celosia, perhaps more than anyone else that lived there. It wasn't easy watching something you loved with all your heart deteriorate day by day.

But something in her told her that she was being somewhat unfair to the newcomer. Her eyes flicked to Ez, then to Edith, then back again.

"Pardon me. I've got to get back to the farm."

She strode forward, glancing at Ez as she passed. It was up to him whether he wanted to continue his tour or head back to the farm. Maven was sure that he was done with his work for the day; a free man was owed his leisure time.

Code by Jenamos

Edith

Interacting:
Ezeran & Maven

Mentioned:
Merriam

Tags:
@PavellumPendulum & @Kuno

Hearts:
Merriam - ♥️ ♥️

Had she somehow offended Maven? Edith tried to recall their conversation, trying to find a justification for the frosty attitude. Ezeran certainly seemed to think well enough of Maven, if not in reverence even and in slight intimidation judging by his sudden change in attitude.

Had she walked onto the set of Yellowstone instead? Edith hadn't expected an island of its size to be big enough for groups to form, but the attitude Maven had thrown up made Edith feel that for support for Merriam she was at the wrong address.

"I can imagine that you have plenty of work left, do you want to drive back to the farm?" Edith tried to alleviate the tension with a question directed at Ezeran. Though it would be more economical for Ezeran to drive with Maven, Edith didn't want to take away the farm help's obvious joy she had seen earlier, even if the tour was cut short a little. It wasn't like she had planned to much else today, though Edith did start to wonder if she should have watched Yellowstone in preparation.

• Sweet
Reactions: PavellumPendulum

Ezeran
Maven shifted in place, arms crossed and eyes sharp. There was even a slight lean to her chin, her quirked eyebrow at just the right angle... She was listening and whatever Edith's next words would be would matter. Ezeran nervously glanced at Edith, wondering if she could discern just how important the current moment was for a newcomer to the island, but Edith didn't falter, those blue eyes still focused and aimed straight ahead. Maven's laugh normally had him mimicking it, mostly because he liked sharing it with her, but it felt inappropriate at the current moment, even though his shoulders twitched subconsciously to follow along.

Maven didn't believe in Edith. Ezeran wondered if he did. He certainly liked Edith so far, which was rare, considering how flighty he could be, preferring to shy away from most social contact in general. He supposed he hadn't really seen enough to have a proper opinion... Maybe when Edith got to work with Merriam on the island. Then maybe Maven would like her more?

The farmhand watched the sway of Maven's raven hair against her back as she walked away, attempting to swallow the growing lump in his throat and failing. It swelled even more when Edith offered a ride back with her, a promise of another taste of luxury and though Ez's conflicted expression rose to the surface of his face, he did eventually give her a polite shake of his head. "... I'll be okay. Thanks, Edith." he told her meekly, his eyes still following Maven until they didn't, settling back on the other woman for a moment, "I'll see you later. I hope. I liked that." His sentences were clipped, but it was all he offered her before doing a light jog to catch up with his boss, only stopping when he was walking alongside her.

He hoped they could be friends, even if he didn't look back.
Code by wren.

• Sweet
Reactions: Nemopedia