CBox Tech & Social Opinions Survey!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jack Daniels; a wonderful rage fuel.

I'm still for bringing it back, just... keep a tighter leash on it. Whilst some of the CBox shit can be funny (I still find the Maverick incident fucking hilarious), Asmo's right; people don't want to be logging in just to see that sorta shit EVERY FUCKING DAY.

I like the idea of it as a means to support the RPs going on as well as a means to chat with fellow Iwaku members. It's an excellent place to get advice from a game's GM, or for help writing up a character sheet you're confused by. I mean seriously, guys, let's get some fucking Chat-RPs going; that's an opportunity and a half going to waste right there.

What you need is tighter control over the CBox; perhaps a CBox Moderator? Someone who's online frequently and in the CBox a lot who the staff can trust (read; NOT ME. I don't want that kinda job) and so can step in to settle arguments before they get out of hand. 'Cos seriously, no-one wants to log in every single day only to see that sort of shit.

Also, tighten up the rules. At the moment, they seem to be relying on people being good-natured and sensible, and that's not working 'cos we're, y'know, people. You could consider creating new rooms in the CBox (provided it doesn't strain the server too much) where more mature or violent things could be discussed, or even just have a room for spamming sheer bullshit. Condense Insanity into chat-form, or something.

Those are just my thoughts. I wouldn't get rid of the CBox entirely, though; if done right, it's an extremely valuable tool for the board to have.

All staffies have the power and authority to moderate the cbox when necessary. I think the problem stems in what, what mister Grumpy says, is the lack of strong guidelines for conduct in there. We haven't had any strict rules before since leaving proboards. And you can't enforce when you don't know where the line is.

Maybe that is a good idea now. >> And the Adult Content Discussion thread is a good place for people to suggest how to implement those sort of rules for what will be best for Iwaku. >:D So people should post their comments in there.

Pros:
-Talking to people who don't have IM
-Meeting newbies
-Getting to know other members
-Promoting RPs
-Brainstorming/Instant feedback

Cons:
-Fights
-Whiny bitches
-Unmoderated R-rated content

I think that there should be some way to have a section of the cbox that is for 16 or 18 and up. That would be a lot easier to moderate, concidering there would only be one part that would be a moderation issue.

Also, maybe a counseling/"I need to whine" part. I can attest to not feeling fully satisfied with just posting my issues in the counceling section.

A sub c-box for adult content, a sub c-box for counseling, a sub c-box for insanity, etc... That's gunna be quite the massive list for sub boxes... hell why don't cha' just make a c-box for every forum we have.

Doesn't seem like a practical solution if you ask me. Having a c-box for counseling will lead to "Woe is me, my life sucks." "Woe is me... my mum/dad/grandma/everyone doesn't understand me." We had that issue when the c-box originally came out. People were using it to gain sympathy from others, mainly those of the female gender. If they need to vent or whine, we have a bloody sub forum dedicated toward that.

Personally I agree with Grumpy, we need a set of rules in stone that everyone understands. Those rules also need to be enforced when people crossover the line. Yes the rules of the old forum were a wee bit ridiculous, but at least they worked. Not saying that we need rules that ridiculously uptight, but to keep an ordered forum we kinda need to have rules that we can fall back on when need be.

Reactions: 1 person
Doesn't seem like a practical solution if you ask me. Having a c-box for counseling will lead to "Woe is me, my life sucks." "Woe is me... my mum/dad/grandma/everyone doesn't understand me." We had that issue when the c-box originally came out. People were using it to gain sympathy from others, mainly those of the female gender. If they need to vent or whine, we have a bloody sub forum dedicated toward that..

But like I was saying, Sometimes the sub-forum isn't enough. I mean...Fuck. Sometimes I want someone to feel sorry and pay attention to me. And people would know what they were getting into if they went to the Cbox section dedicated to that. I mean, who is gonna go, "Oh look. The counseling section. They must be talking about cupcakes and sunshine!"

But like I was saying, Sometimes the sub-forum isn't enough. I mean...Fuck. Sometimes I want someone to feel sorry and pay attention to me. And people would know what they were getting into if they went to the Cbox section dedicated to that. I mean, who is gonna go, "Oh look. The counseling section. They must be talking about cupcakes and sunshine!"

So I'll take a wild guess here and think that you don't mean people get neglected in the Counselling sub-forum, but that you want a second place where people can rant their brains out and where they get replies quicklier?

Even if the rants usually go "I had a shitty day" I fail to see past the possible troubles and drama such a place could cause. I also don't see why we need another form to have our whines displayed public. Everybody here should know that the staff and most probably the members you've gotten to know here are kind enough to listen to your troubles if you want us to. And I don't see how using MSN/Skype/Aim would be less helpful; it's not viewable to the public eye and you get replies even quicker. And we still don't have anyone here qualified to give proffesional help.

Even if members would know what they were getting into, that doesn't necessarily mean they would not act like assholes, troll or do other foul things. Yes, they'd get warnings and get banned, but whatever damage it would cause to the ranters would already have been injected.

It's not like Iwaku doesn't have a history of people claiming to be suicidal.

"Oh look. The counseling section. They must be talking about cupcakes and sunshine!"

Oh... the world is a big place... I'm sure there is at least one person who might think that.

But yes, you have a point... I know I've felt that way too.

My concern is that people will abuse that certain sub C-Box section. We've had abuse of the Counseling section in the past dealing with those wanting attention to themselves. The backlash of strict Counseling section rules was not pretty... With an instant message system, that abuse could be even easier to do and could go further. My concern would be that members that have a chronic attention seeking habit would abuse such a section, which means the section would need constant moderation.

Pros:
- Good way to contact someone really quick *if they are on*
- Good way to vent my stress from school
- It's a live chat with everyone on the Iwaku and you can have fun

Con's:
- Fighting when asked to stop they just make it worse sometimes
- The spamming of one word over and over and over and over and... well you get it

well it's my opinion and it stands at that

I'm gonna take Diana's approach, it's good and organized for my crazy chaotic thoughts

AS A MEMBER:

The Cbox is a good way to just peek in and say hello! It's wonderful at times and relaxingly chill. Also, it's a fun way to pass time, and people are usually nice. On the other hand, it's annoying when fights break out.

AS A GM:

Fuck, Look at the Maverick case. That's all you need to know.

Pros:
Quick IMs.
Usually fun and relaxing
Chat RPs
Idle-time fun
freedom to talk about whatever.

Cons:
Bullshit 1UP/Pissing contests. If we get the Cbox back and that doesn't go down, I will talk to members that frequently do this. It makes it all uncomfortable for everyone.
Freedom to talk about ANYTHING. Sometimes, I feel like I need a button to press when I invite a new person onto the site and I see the cbox, just to delete the curent convo to something more newb-friendly.
Collision-convos: I'm sure some of you have certainly dealt with this, and if you haven't, then I dunno. Where two or more separate convos are going on in the cbox.

Might as well get this off straightaway: I don't use the Cbox all that much. I didn't before, and don't really plan on changing my habits if/when it returns. Though oddly, I got really lucky it seems in never landing in the Cbox in the middle of extreme spam-fests or anything. So what I saw was mostly great conversation and RP plotting stuff, but that's simply because I have a very limited experience.

What I can say is, I've seen the potential for good that it has and, based on that, would like to keep it. I think the 'keep it with slightly stricter rules' idea is probably a really good one given this (new-to-me) information on horrid spam/troll/flame-fests(?).
And frankly...I don't care much where it is, if it's on-site or can be reached easily enough from the site.

Technologically/functionally, I have few personal complaints with the Cbox but that it refreshes a little slow. I agree any slow-down on slower computers is certainly a problem, but aside from that, I honestly don't expect to use many features anyhow. I mean, hey, it's a chat box. Why bother decorating posts with BBcode that are going to disappear, probably in a matter of minutes?

Yeah...that's all I got. Xin out.

My concern is that people will abuse that certain sub C-Box section. We've had abuse of the Counseling section in the past dealing with those wanting attention to themselves. The backlash of strict Counseling section rules was not pretty... With an instant message system, that abuse could be even easier to do and could go further. My concern would be that members that have a chronic attention seeking habit would abuse such a section, which means the section would need constant moderation.

Yeah. That would be the big issue about it. And, as much as I like to think that everyone on here is good and would use the section properly, I know that's not true.

*le sigh* Me and my idealistic views. lol

I suppose the only thing I still stand on is some way to censor the cbox or somehow have a 18+ section. And I think everyone is kinda together on that subject.

Pros:
Great for discussion of RP's Quickly
Great for just chatting with people who's RP intrests are different from yours
Great for enduring a long work day with nothing planned
Getting into Mock-Fights with other members

Cons:
Has a tendancy to Lag

I can say honestly that I just open up multiple tabs in firefox to post and stay on the C-box, so I never really had an issue with distraction from posting.

Nobody get mad at what I'm about to say... This is just my opinion and I really don't mean to offend anyone.

I think you're all making a mountain out of a mole hill. I used to go in the CBox around 3 times a week and I have no idea what you are all 'complaining' about. No matter where you go (ANY WEBSITE) there is always drama, you can't avoid it. So go ahead, remove the CBox permanently. All you are doing is taking away a means of communication for new members to use, so they are not so scared to jump into a new RP without knowing anyone.

I like the CBox, it gave me a chance to get to know members of Iwaku on a more personal level. It was tough coming from AFTA to Iwaku without knowing many of the members on here, and if it weren't for the CBox it would have been even harder.

After reading all of the opinions you all posted in regards to the pros and cons of the CBox, all I have to do is roll my eyes... Am I really reliving same issues that lead to the distruction of moonwings???

Is there no ignore button in the CBox? Can't you just ignore what you don't want to see... UGH, I am annoyed very much by all of this.

Yeah. That would be the big issue about it. And, as much as I like to think that everyone on here is good and would use the section properly, I know that's not true.

*le sigh* Me and my idealistic views. lol

I suppose the only thing I still stand on is some way to censor the cbox or somehow have a 18+ section. And I think everyone is kinda together on that subject.

Wouldn't it just be easier to either allot that brand of subject to a pm or im?

Boho! Nobody read my post! Boho! >:|

And from what I can see there is no talk about removing the cbox permanently, but move it to a page/forum/site of the main page.

EDIT:
Just because you find drama on any website doesn't mean we have to keep the cbox on the main page. Which has proven to drive away a lot potential new members.

Is there no ignore button in the CBox? Can't you just ignore what you don't want to see... UGH, I am annoyed very much by all of this.

TADA!! If only, IF ONLY people would use that damned ignore button. >:[ I think almost all of the fights would be solved if people would just stop talking to the ones that continuously piss them off.

The only problem is that newbies won't immediately know that's an option, nor will they understand that whatever dumbfuckery going on in the cbox isn't the "norm" for the community. First impressions are important.

For ranting in the cbox instead of counseling, that's something I don't mind at all. ...As long as it's just a quick let off of steam when you're frustrated. Cause everyone is happy to lend an ear, and everyone has to do it sometimes. I just hate seeing the cbox turning in to "group therapy". That's why we HAVE the counseling forum. So you can discuss the problem in better detail in a place where Cbox chatters that DON'T wanna hear it aren't going to harass the convo with trolling or rude comments.

Or even moving that sort of convo to one of the extra channels if someone does need to talk in the cbox. That way you're not in the main and you can talk talk without all the crazyness. o__o

Reactions: 2 people
Boho! Nobody read my post! Boho! >:|

And from what I can see there is no talk about removing the cbox permanently, but move it to a page/forum/site of the main page.

EDIT:
Just because you find drama on any website doesn't mean we have to keep the cbox on the main page. Which has proven to drive away a lot potential new members.

In that case... Shouldn't we just move it to "The Asylum"? I mean, we really are just a bunch of nuts that the newbies will eventually turn into.

Or even moving that sort of convo to one of the extra channels if someone does need to talk in the cbox. That way you're not in the main and you can talk talk without all the crazyness. o__o

I think thats what Patty suggested, a separate cbox-channel for counselling.

:bananaman:

In that case... Shouldn't we just move it to "The Asylum"? I mean, we really are just a bunch of nuts that the newbies will eventually turn into.

That might happen, I don't remember if theres been any discussion to this yet of where it will be placed.

Keep in mind the chances of those extra channels being used are slim. For instance, if you were to make a CBox in the counselling thread I highly doubt it would get used very often. It would be a wasted effort on your part. The counselling thread is there for a reason, people need to learn how to use it.

I say just keep the CBox where it was, we get new members all the time, I don't believe it damages the website having it on the main page. Infact I think new members see the CBox and like the idea of getting to know older members so instantly.

I'm not for adding extra channels just for Counseling or specific forums. XD (honestly I think it's kinda useless too. >>; just like extra topic forums) I just mean using the channels that are already there. Though it's my dream the channels will always be filled with roleplaying, I know there will be at least one empty channel when people wanna get out of main for a quieter discussion!

Still looking for some more member commentary! *Points fingers around!*

Status
Not open for further replies.