Caught

"Kali! Are you alright? What's wrong?" A voice said in the front of the tent. This startled Chris. He turned his head quickly to the tent flap. "What did you see?" It was the voice of a girl. It sounded worried and and somewhat familiar. He got up off of the bunk without hesitation, and started walking to the door. Grimacing with each step he took. "Here, drink. You'll feel better." He had just reached the flap and was pulling it open whilst asking, "Kali is everything ok?" The door flap opened onto the scene of Kali trembling in a chair while a girl in a dark cloak was trying to get her to feel better. He hurried over to them with jerky motions and knelt next to Kali checking to make sure she was fine. No cuts. No bruise. Nothing except the shaking. " What happened?" he asked the girl without paying attention. " I don't know I was just getting my fortune read and then she freaked out." She replied hastily. "Is she going to be ok?"

He started to turn, " How should I-" And then he recognized the girl. It was the girl who tried to steal from him. The one who had left him to the mercy of the three men.

Adriana's eyes widened when she saw it was the man who had caught her before. She was torn now. She was afraid of this man, afraid of what could happen to her if he turned her in, but she didn't want to leave Kali. She stepped away from him as guilt washed over her at the sight of his bruises. She hadn't meant for him to get hurt. She'd just wanted to get away from him before something bad happened to her. She twisted her cloak in her hands as she took another step back. Her guilt and fear was warring with her worry for Kali.

Adriana's aura became light purple. Concern? Why does she care about Kali when they've just met? Adriana tried to make her feel better, asking about what had made her react so violently. Kali tried to bring the tea to her lips, but her hands shook too much so she put it back down before it could spill. She felt Adriana's hands on her shoulders, trying to loosen her tensed muscles desperately.
And then of course, before she could deny her frazzled state, Chris called to her and then, hearing Adriana's concerned inquiries, came hobbling out. His aura was light purple, light blue and stained black with pain. She frowned, wincing as she shook. Adriana and Chris spoke for a moment until Adriana backed up, purple warring with gray fearand dark green. Guilt? Kali could sense a brief past between the two. What happened? Kali continued trying to take deep breaths, slowly coming to terms with what she'd perceived from Adriana's future.
"I'm just fine. Both of you, please sit down and stay calm. I need to speak to you both. Though I do wish you had stayed put, Chris. Adriana, if you fear him, it is unreasonable for this moment. You are safe, but I need to tell you both of what I saw, as it does apply to all of us." Kali stared at each of them as she spoke, pulling her shaky hands up to pull her hood up. It was only her hands now. She was recovering.

Last edited:
"In a minute Kali. I have a few choice words to share with the thief in the corner." Chris said sarchastically. as he motioned to the girl with a righteous index finger point!

Adriana squeaked when the man started towards her and stumbled back again. She looked a little like a cornered doe, terrified eyes wide. She shot Kali a glance before turning and bolting. She wasn't getting caught again. If she got caught this time, there'd be little chance of escape. She pushed her way out of the tent and back into the crowded fairgrounds.

Kali's jaw clenched in reaction to Chris' dramatic words and actions. Red anger and black pain swirled around him swiftly, a tornado of mild emotion. Kali stood, wobbling on slightly shaky knees as a dark gray cloud of fear shielded Adriana almost completely, causing her to flee immediately.
Kali faced Chris angrily, curling her lip in irritation over Adriana's departure and spreading her arms wide to prevent Chris from going after her.
"That was uncalled for! You weren't supposed to move in the first place and now you've scared a very influential girl away! Your injuries will take longer to heal the longer you're standing so please, go back to the other room while I go find her. You will understand everything when I return, so stay put. Okay?" She spoke much louder now than her softer tones of conversation. Her eyes were blazing.

Last edited:
Chris looked dumbfounded. He was a little angry at the girl but he hadn't planned on turning her in or hurting her. All he was going to do was ask for the rest of his coins. He had given her ten Scicles which was a nice little pile of coin for him and a fortune to a peasant. " But I just wanted my change back" He said with a slightly afraid of the blazing gaze he was getting from Kali. Ok I'll go lay back down. I'm sorry for scaring her. He was backed away very slowly, and very afraid of what Kali would do if he were to ignite her fury for a third time.

Adriana stopped a few tents away, putting her hands on her knees so she could try and catch her breath. With how injured Chris was, she was sure he wouldn't follow her; at least not very far. She glanced back towards the fortune tellers tent to make sure he wasn't coming after her. She was still worried about Kali, and she wanted to know what she had seen but she sure wasn't going to go back while that man was there. Who knew what would happen to her.

Kali calmed down swiftly. She wasn't known to have a quick temper so she watched Chris' aura fade back to dark green guilt and black pain as he walked back to the room she had treated him in. She sighed, calming herself and turning toward the exit. She gave one last glance to the room Chris disappeared into and called behind her to him. "Don't touch anything. I'll be back soon." Then she promptly opened the flap and hung a little sign on the outside with some string. Closed until the near future... it read. Then she turned away and scanned the very colorful crowd at the festival of the Solar Equinox. Fortunately, it was dwindling since the night was growing much darker, and it hardly took Kali any time to spot the dark cloak making its speedy way through the masses. Kali followed, jogging to keep up as her own red cloak flapped behind her, revealing a black velvet dress that hugged her curves nicely until it reached her waist and hung limp. Finally, Adriana tired and stopped a few tents away, holding her knees to catch her breath. Kali stood behind her and placed a gentle hand on her shoulder. "Please come back. I made sure that he never meant to hurt you. I can tell for sure that he was being quite sincere, I promise. I will explain everything when we are gathered in the tent. Please Adriana. I'll make sure that you are safe." Kali said, emanating reassurance and kindness in her emerald gaze.

Adriana jumped and spun when she felt a hand on her shoulder, then sighed with relief when she saw it was Kali. She hesitated as Kali tried to convince her to come back. "I don't know." She said slowly. "If he turns me in, the punishments for thievery is cruel." She twisted her cloak in her hands. "Besides, it's not like I want to steal. If I didn't, I'd starve." She gave Kali an almost desperate look. "You understand, right?"

Gray, purple and a little black dominated the stuttering colors circling Adriana as she faced Kali. Doubting her words. Kali watched the way that Adriana fiddled with her cloak and bit her lip. It was the same image in her head. Nervous fingers. Kali listened closely to Adriana and bowed her head in agreement, showing her that she did in fact, accept her predicament. But she still needed ti speak to her. So she had to tell her.
"Adriana, I am absolutely positive that he means you no harm in any way, shape or form. And I know this because I am an empath. I can see your emotions much better than your future. In this way, I discerned that Chris is someone you will be safe around. You will not be punished by anyone. Now please follow me back. I have to make sure Chris doesn't touch anything." Kali winked, trying to lighten the mood and bring a smile to Adriana's face.

She listened as she quickly became curious once again. "An empath? Oh, that's so cool!" She smiled. "So, can you read minds?" She nodded when she explained about Chris, though she was still a little hesitant. "If you're sure he wont hurt me, I'll go back with you." She agreed. She giggled at the comment about Chris touching things he shouldn't be and nodded. "Alright, let's go." She straightened again.

" I don't think Kali will be happy if she sees this." He said after he dropped a Ceramic pot and it shattered to pieces with a slightly solemn moan being released from it. He looked back at the door flap to make sure no one was coming. He calmly swept the broken pot pieces under the table with his foot. "I wonder when they are getting back I would like to apologize in person." He said sincerely. " Oh well at least there is plenty of cool stuff to look at here!" he said excitedly picking up a shrunken head.

Kali's eyebrows rose as Adriana's aura brightened to an excited yellow and much calmer cream color. She doesn't consider Kali a freak? Well..that's convenient and very kind. Kali smiled and led her back to the tent, leaving the closed sign on so no one would intrude. Both cloaked figures reentered the fortune telling tent just as something breakable made an audible cracking noise. Kali growled under her breath and led Adriana back to Chris' recovery room stomping. It was usually a storage room, but when people needed some help, they could come here.
"No. There's no 'cool stuff' for you to look at! That--"Kali pointed beneath the table--" was a very rare soul keeper! I could have used that troll and now its been released. Wonderful." She sighed, trying to calm herself. "Chris. I need you to sit and put your hands beneath your butt. That way, maybe you could keep from breaking things or hurting yourself." Kali uttered through clenched teeth.
"The three of us need to have a discussion. Now I'm pretty sure both of you have relevant questions. So, since I don't know exactly where to start, you are both free to ask me anything relating to our situation. Go ahead." Kali said, calming herself completely to sit down in front of Chris, her red cloak flowing down to the soft floor.

"Ok I have only have a few questions." Chris said matter of factly. He looked over to the girl with the dark cloak. " Firstly, I'm sorry I frightened you. That was not my intention. Also why did you try and steal from me. I would have given you money if thats what you needed. I may not be a commoner but I know how some of you have a little trouble getting coin." He turned to Kali. " And I'm sorry about your troll thingie."

Adriana gave Chris a jerky nod when he apologized for frightening her, and frowned when he asked about her stealing. "You wouldn't understand, I'm sure." She said. "Someone who was born with a silver spoon in his mouth couldn't possibly understand the options for a woman who is alone with nothing. There are three options, since no one would hire a woman. one, marry. Of course, no one would marry a penniless beggar. Two, work in a brothel. I have too much pride for that. Three, steal. Of course I choose the third. It's the less of two evils." She turned her attention to Kali. "So, can you read minds?" She asked curiously. "and what happened when you read my future?"

In regards to Chris' statements and sincere green guilt in his aura, she gave Adriana a knowing look. As if to say, See? I told you.
Then of course, thanks to his last comment she glared, then rolled her eyes, pulling off her red hood. Adriana spoke then, and she turned her head, listening intently and watching her aura go slightly red with irritation. She wouldn't get involved. Surely Chris could make her understand. She resolved to answering Adriana's questions after Chris addressed her.

Last edited:
"It wasn't silver! I wasn't babied my entire life! And why are you getting mad at me? All I said is that I would have been happy to help." Chris tried his best to keep calm. He wasn't one for getting upset with people. He was always polite and curteous but something about this girl made his eyebrow twitch. " Look all I'm trying to say is that next time you try stealing from a person don't. Life may be unfair but that doesn't mean you should break the law. King Garett put the law to bring order and make people live together more peacefully. Also, there is a place for homeless people to go and work. Even if they are female. I will be glad to show you when we leave here. After all it is getting late if I'm not back soon my father will worry and when Sir Roland is worried the whole army is worried."

Kali's eyes widened to the size of dinner plates when she heard Chris reply to Adriana. He was the son of Sir Roland? The appointed general and protector of King Garret? She had had no previous idea or clue that he was a noble. She had been keeping a noble of this kingdom in her tent?! She had ordered him around? Her expression screamed panic.

((your first post says your dad is sir roland))

Adriana actually laughed at that, albeit a bitter laugh. "Son of Roland? No wonder you have no idea how the real world works. No matter where I go, if I'm depending on others to help me survive they're going to want things I won't give them. Trust me, I'm better off on my own and stealing what I need." She tugged her cloak hood down and released her long hair with a sigh. "I tell you what, if you're really concerned for the homeless. Disguise yourself as a woman and spend one day in that hell hole you call help. See how well you get treated."