Castle of the Roses

Status
Not open for further replies.
[fieldbox="Peter, white, dashed, 10"]Mary opened the door in a few seconds. Honestly, he hadn't expected that, and it impressed him as it seemed that the girl's work ethic was quite impressive.

"Good morning, Mary," he smiled down at her, folding his gloved hands in front of his body as he cast a critical glance at her form. The outfit was very well-suited to the girl, and it seemed like the garments that he had selected fit perfectly. While the butler certainly had impeccable fashion sense, he didn't know that he had such a good eye for measurement and proportions. "Did you sleep well?" He asked, a hint of worry in his voice. Once might interpret it as common concern, yet, there was a dark undertone in his reasons why. He hoped that the slamming of the cellar door hadn't woken the girl from her slumber. Once more, the room served the same purpose it did almost a year ago, when the master was feeling just as good as he felt today.

That was because the right blood had been given to him, finally.[/fieldbox]

[fieldbox="Mary Courteney, green, dashed, 10"]
The short brunette took notice of his piercing gaze lower to take in her appearance, causing for her to shift slightly. Had she not dressed accordingly? Nervously, she clasped her hands behind her back while averting her gaze off to the side. Though at his question, her emerald orbs snapped over to look up at him. "Yes, I did. It's the best sleep I've had in months," she admitted quietly.

Throughout her time at the auction house, sleeping had been difficult. Often times, she didn't even sleep throughout the night; whether it be because of the vampires or the fear that clung to her. Maybe being here was much better than that horrible place.

"What will I be doing today?" She questioned as she shifted her weight from foot to foot. The girl was still nervous and quite frightened of others and Peter was no exception.
[/fieldbox]

[fieldbox="Peter, white, dashed, 10"]How ironic. "I am glad to hear that, Mary. By the way, you look ravishing in that outfit." The butler chuckled, and offered the girl a smile before sighing and running a hand through his hair. "Let's see... First, you will dust the main rooms... Clean the windows and the mirrors, and then I suppose you will be allowed some free time until I call for you again. Luckily, since only the master lives here, there isn't much to clean. It is easy to keep the manor, as it is small and houses very few people."

The butler stepped away from the door, still wearing a smile. "When you are ready, please come downstairs for breakfast." The blonde bowed, and abruptly took his leave down the stairs.[/fieldbox]

The compliment added with the butler's chuckle, brought Mary complete discomfort. Perhaps he had meant good, but the girl was far from alright to be able to distinguish anyone's intentions. Unclasping her hands from behind her back, she moved them to mess with the fabric of her dress, while he listed her chores. They seemed simple enough and she was sure that she would finish them in no time.

"Yes, thank you, sir." Mary bowed her head and was rather happy with his abrupt departure. Releasing a small breath of air, she composed herself, and stepped out of her room. She walked down the hall with a quick pace after shutting the door.

[/fieldbox]

Last edited:
[fieldbox="Zachary Brighton, white, dashed, 10"]Zachary glanced at the ornate mirror by his bed, grey gaze falling over his form to ensure that all was in order - the grey-blue suit Peter had found him really did flatter his form, his vampiric youth, evermore as soft and gentle as a swaying rosebud. He felt remarkably better - no longer thin and unsteady, nerves stretched-out across a field of hunger and despair, and no longer ready to find a polished stake to stick into himself. Whatever blood Peter had given him earlier in the morning had fixed him, glued him back together, at least for a while. "Storms..." He muttered to himself, but not in regards to the weather (for it was a lovely spring day, and the sky was a rich azure), but in regards to his poems. The grey of the suit had brought Thebes to his mind, and he wondered what his dear, brother Polynieces was doing with Mary's cousin. What was his name...? Henry, ah, yes. Henry. Zachary made a mental note to contact Killian as soon as possible about letting Mary see her cousin again... He was no heartless monster, like legend accused his kind of being. He had a deep empathy towards the people around him, and wanted only what was best for his household.
He backed away from the mirror, oddly unable to look at himself anymore. The nightmares wouldn't go away... He knew what he had done to himself.

Zachary turned the handle to his chamber, opening the door just in time to catch a glimpse of a lovely girl rushing down the hall a maid outfit. He half-smiled, half-found himself afraid of startling her. The vampire had no idea how she might react to seeing him, especially after such a lengthy delay. But, had he met her sooner... Surely he would have sunk his fangs into that cream-colored, pearl-white skin of her's. Mary. Her name was Mary, and he knew from the moment he saw her, that she was someone special.

"Good morning, Mary," He called after her, shyly glancing down at the ground.[/fieldbox]

[fieldbox="Peter, white, dashed, 10"]When Peter found his way into the kitchen, he was greeted with a rather moody-looking Matilda, slaving over the hot stoves and rushing to finish making her gourmet breakfast for all the servants.

Peter offered her a gentle, "Good morning," and regreted it immediatly. "Good morning?! I'm 'ere slavin' over there stoves an' you're all prim an' proper, conversin' with the household... You know where ya' should've ended up, you mu-" Peter cut her off at that moment with a sharp, "Matilda." He retained a steely expression of indifference as he continued, "Might I remind you how hard my job really is? I must ensure that everything is in order. I must ensure the master's survival. I must organize every since step of the day before you move your hand to cut that tomato in half. I must be on time, and if I fail - this household will be in ruins."

The cook grumbled something under her breath, and returned to dicing tomatoes for the soup Peter had told her to prepare.[/fieldbox]

Last edited:
"Good morning, Mary"

The brunette immediately halted in her steps, before slowly turning to face the individual who called out to her. Her emerald gaze landed on the male and from the way he was dress, in that fine suit and pale complexion. The realization hit her like a ton of bricks: this was her master. With wide eyes, May bent at the waist and bowed. "Good morning, master." She greeted before straightening up. This time she didn't dare meet his gaze in fear that he would suddenly lash out at her much like the vampires from the auction house had done. It was then, that she began to tremble in her spot. She was finally meeting her master for the first time and she was scared. May was actually scared of every vampire she would see.

It hadn't been the best experience of her life, if anything it was the worst few months of her life. It had gotten to the point where she had preferred to be dead than alive. Yet, the vampires took advantage of that and drilled into her head that she had to do certain things to keep her master pleased. If not then, well, she would get beaten.
[/fieldbox]

[fieldbox="Zachary Brighton, lightcyan, dashed, 10"]As Mary elegantly bowed to him, he studied her form, quick to sense the change in her heartbeat. It was fleeting, quick and panicked like a rabbit's, the pulse of her jugular frightened him, just as much as she was frightened. Zachary didn't want to... Want. As she straightened, he could see the faint trembling of her shoulders - he covered him mouth with his hand for a moment, and shut his eyes. Losing his memories meant that he had also lost the ways he could keep his hunger under control - it was always there, always under his skin, buried deep into him like a parasite...

Zachary quickly regained his composure, and cleared his throat before taking a step towards Mary. He wore the same, sad smile as always - so incredibly inconspicuous. He was perfect at appearing gentle, only because he really was. The vampire was not quite a wolf in sheep's clothing, like Kaito could be, nor was he a sheep among sheep.

He remembered Kaito's words clearly. 'Do as I do, and you shall walk among the sheep as a lion.' Never. If anything, he was a baby bird. Useless, hungry, and small.

"I do hope you find the manor to your liking, Mary. How do you feel? Are you well-rested?" He fussed, worry welling up in his heart.[/fieldbox]

The silence stretched on for a couple of seconds before she noted the vampire taking a step closer towards her. May's body went rigid before the trembling worsened. When he did speak out to her, the brunette was surprised by his questions. "I feel fine, Master. T-thank you for your concern." May nodded and dared to glanced up at the man.

She would have found him handsome, if not for the fact that she feared him. Could he be as nice as the others projected him to be?

"How may I help you, Master?" She questioned as she hesitantly took a small set backwards, trying to maintain a good amount of space between them.

[/fieldbox]

[fieldbox="Zachary Brighton, lightcyan, dashed, 10"]It was a relief to hear that she was well, and even grateful for his question, but the second Zachary stepped towards her, Mary shrunk back. His eyes - bright with hope, went dark with grave understanding. So, it was as he feared... The place from which he had taken Mary, bought her to save her from the cruelty of his kind, had taken its toll on her. Zachary feared that she would hate him for being a vampire, but thought that maybe... Maybe somehow, he would be wrong, and Mary wouldn't despise him. He had thought that perhaps the cruelty that she had experienced - that he knew she had witnessed and felt, wouldn't have marred her psyche, and would have left her a bit more like Peter - who never feared what he was. Peter was the best at understanding the intricacies of the mind, so perhaps the butler did not fear his vampiric master because he knew the creature truly meant no harm.

Well, Zachary decided that he would have to show Mary that he wasn't a typical leech. "My lady, 'tis not possible for such a fair maiden to be but a humble servant... Perhaps you are like Imogen, a fair British princess who fell into a terrible plot, and had to escape and live in squalor?" And with no regards to social class, or what a separates a servant from a master, Zachary stuck out his arm to her, and approached, begging her to take it so that he could lead her down the stairs. From behind him, he could hear one of the servants comment, "Bah, poet..."

Zachary chuckled. "A poet is the most unpoetical of anything in existence, because he has no identity. He is continually filling some other body."[/fieldbox]

Mary slowly lifted her gaze once again as he began to speak again. Was the question serious or was he just messing with her? Biting her lips, she starred down at his hand and resisted the urge to step away again. That was not what she was to do, she must obliged to every order he gave her and please him in every form. Hesitantly, she reached out to take his arm. As expected, the fabric of his suit was soft and clearly of good quality.

The brunette had no idea what to say, so she just remained silent, waiting for something else to happen. Her trembling persisted and became more prominent the second she placed her hand in his. What if he just...abused her like all the others? She wasn't ready for that, she didn't even want to go through that. She would rather much just have him drink her dry.

[/fieldbox]

[fieldbox="Zachary Brighton, lightcyan, dashed, 10"]He smiled when Mary reached out to take his arm - even though he could sense that she stiffened at the contact - her pulse was rocketing, and oh God, she smelled lovely - the scent of her blood was absolutely tantalizing, like a fine Italian wine. Thankfully, Zachary had drank his share in the morning, and so he wasn't particularly inclined to bite. Oh, he could never do that to her. Zachary didn't buy her away from the auction house to make her suffer... He only wanted to make things better for her, and her cousin.

She was trembling so hard that he could feel it, and Zachary abruptly turned to face her, hurt clearly written across his features. "Please don't be afraid of me... Please. I don't want anyone to be afraid of me anymore," he whimpered - not at all intimidating and suave, like his brother. In fact, often his negative moods and self-consciousness came at the worst possible moments, like now. Oh, and all the servants knew, the second someone expressed that they were intimidated by him... It upset Zachary greatly.[/fieldbox]

The vampire suddenly turned around causing for the human girl gasp while her body tensed up. Was this it? His words only brought her confusion, especially with the tone he said them. It was almost like he was upset about it. Mary glanced up at him, catching the hurt in his gaze. The good words the other servants had to say about him rang in her head. Perhaps...it was true and she was only assuming based off of her experience with the auction house.

"O-Okay, Master." Mary spoke out to him, her voice as soft as ever. "I apologize." She added while trying to stop her trembling. She didn't want to fear him, but it was practically instinct to do so. Lowering her gaze, the brunette took in a deep breath before looking up at him and forced a fake smile on her lips.

[/fieldbox]

[fieldbox="Zachary Brighton, lightcyan, dashed, 10"]He couldn't read other people - he was terrible at detecting falseness, even in his own brother. So, when Mary smiled up at him, Zachary couldn't help but smile back and feel glad that she seemed to trust his words. He couldn't imagine what she had suffered at the auction house, and therefore, he did not know the depth of her fear for his kind. "That's much better, Mary. I'd like to see you smile more, if you can." He sounded cheerful, and such a way of speaking was odd for him - but, it was because he was full of blood, and the hunger was weak. There was nothing on his mind but having a good time, and spending more time with his arts - poetry, painting, writing - he was a Renaissance being, fond of all things humanistic.

"Well then, off to the dining room we go. I do hope that you'll sit beside me?" He began walking towards the stairs, and led Mary down the flight, taking his time and watching her carefully from the corner of his eye to ensure she was alright with the situation at hand. "Ah, yes. And I will be contacting my brother to invite him for afternoon tea. I will also request that he bring Henry over as well, so that you two may see each other."[/fieldbox]

Last edited:
The cheerfulness in his tone made her more uneasy. Mary was accustomed to the rough and deep voices that would constantly be shouting at her, not this. It was far too happy, which made her believe that it was the calm before the storm. Any moment lightning would strike and she would be done for.

The girl took longer steps to somewhat match with his stride as they made their way to the stairs. "Yes, of course, master." The brunette meekly nodded as she kept her gaze trained on the steps below her while they descended. She honestly didn't want to be seated near him, but she hadn't rejected his request because she feared that he would lash out at her if she did.

At the mention of her cousin, Mary immediately brightened up and gratitude shown on her face. "Really? Thank you, master." This time Mary gave him a genuine smile that was filled with appreciation. Henry was the only person familiar to her in this crazy world and his presence brought her a sense of comfort.

[/fieldbox]

[fieldbox="Zachary Brighton, lightcyan, dashed, 10"]Zachary strolled over to the dining room, lowering his arm to detach himself from the smiling young girl beside him. He knew it would be a bit strange if the servants spotted the gesture, and Peter would immediately reprimand him for it. Peter was very much a father-figure for Zachary, or even an 'older' brother - always making sure that he appeared as one of his status should. Zachary wasn't particularly fond of being told what to do, but he understood the importance of listening to the butler - who had also been his caretaker during the moths after his 'accident.'

Peter spotted the two as they approached him, and offered them a polite smile. "Really, master, I do not understand why you insist on dining with us... Ah, but I digress." He pulled open the thick, ornate door for Zachary, and stepped aside to let the male enter the massive room. Hunting trophies littered the walls with jagged deer horns, rich pelts, and gold-trimmed frames contingent old painting of dogs, and deer. Ironic, for a vampire, to be in a room dedicated to death. The fireplace was lit, to fend off the misty morning chill, and Matilda rose to put the flames out the second she spotted Zachary, knowing the vampire's weakness to flame. Now cast in cold, blue of the early morning, Zachary's features found their best-suited light. "Good morning, master." The household greeted him, and his eyes settled over the group before him, lovably rag-tag and tired-looking. He could hear Louie turn to Matilda and ask, "Gran, who do ya' always gotta put out the fireplace?" She whispered back, "The Master doesn't like it, love."

His eyes settled on Mary's form, and a smile graced his pallid lips. Zachary stepped to the side and pulled her seat out for her, and gestured to the finely-crafted, cushioned chair, "Please sit, Mary." Peter clicked his tongue, and shook his head with disapproval at Zachary's actions. "No. Mary will be sitting where all the servants sit - on this side of the table. Hurry along, lass."

"Peter..." Zachary growled in warning, but the butler tilted his chin up with snobbish ignorance.[/fieldbox]

Mary followed behind Her master as he stepped into the room. Once inside, the brunette glanced around and was greeted with familiar faces. She wasn't exactly that comfortable around everyone, but she would just have to suck it up.

Her master's voice rang out, calling to her, to which she immediately turned to look. He was holding out a chair for her and she had just been about to take a step forward when Peter spoke out. The girl was at a standstill, unsure whether to listen to her master or the butler. Mary took a hesitant step towards Koshi, given that he was her master and he was above Peter.

[/fieldbox]

[fieldbox="Zachary Brighton, lightcyan, dashed, 10"]As Mary stepped towards the chair he had readied for her, Zachary threw Peter a satisfied smirk, and the blonde merely frowned, then disappeared to fetch the food-carts with Matilda. Sometimes, it felt good to best Peter at something. The blonde was better than Zachary at most things, like chess, and music, and that made the vampire slightly jealous of the other. He sat down, and just as he did so - Peter and Matilda re-emerged from the kitchen with two carts full of plates, and distributed the food among all the members of the household.

Louie shyly stared at the new maid with wide, green eyes. The child was nothing but curious, almost too inquisitive for his own good. Zachary recalled the time that the young boy had stopped at his chambers before bed to ask if he could gallop on Calder, the newest stallion in the stables (to which, the vampire replied with a definite 'no,' as the young boy would surely get hurt on an unfamiliar horse), and caught sight of the goblet of blood resting on Zachary's desk. The little elf, thinking the vampire would not see, reached up to grasp it, quite possibly intending to drink whatever was in the cup, or smell it - Zachary did not want the child finding out that his master was... A monster. With much terror, the male ushered the boy out of his room.

Peter snapped Zachary out of his thoughts by present him with a goblet, and a dish of human breakfast food - a fresh, blueberry scone. The other servants were treated with similar dishes, all requested by Zachary to be as lavishly prepared, as if intended to be served to the Queen herself... It was very, very unusual for servants to eat such high-quality food, and even more unusual for their master to be present to eat with them.
The vampire glanced at Mary's dish, wondering what Peter requested for her. A scone, similar to his, gently topepd with chocolate and strawberries. He smiled, wondering if that was really what she liked. Knowing Peter, it was.

All the other servants were busy digging in to their back bacon, roasts, eggs, and puddings... Hesitantly, he lifted his goblet to his lips, fangs clinking against the edge of the finery as they detracted - a natural reaction to the scent of blood. He could barely contain himself - whatever animal Peter had killed was incredible, its blood was so potent, so very delicious... Zachary took a long gulp, and for a moment, his gaze settled on Mary's pale shoulder.[/fieldbox]

Noticing that she didn't get reprimanded for her actions, Mary continued towards the seat he had pulled out for her. "Thank you." She bowed her head slightly, before holding the skirt of her dress to her legs as she sat. So far, the vampire was proving himself to be harmless. How long would it last though? Was he always nice like this to his servants? He hadn't even treated her according to her status, instead he had acted as if they were both equals. What about Peter? Why hadn't he wanted her to sits besides her master? What had surprised her of the blonde, was the fact that he had dared go against Zachary's word. Perhaps he was an exception?

The girl shifted slightly and in that moment, she caught sight of the young boy starring at her. He looked so adorable with his wide eyes, she couldn't help but to give him a warm smile. Before she could do anything else, her plate of food was set in front of her and May's eyes widened at the sight. It was blueberry scones topped with strawberries and drizzled with chocolate. instantly, her mouth watered at the sight.

Reaching out, the brunette took a bite of it and closed her eyes in delight. It was as delicious as it looked. Had Peter requested the strawberries and chocolate for her scones? If so, then she would surely need to go and thank him.
[/fieldbox]

[fieldbox="Zachary Brighton, lightcyan, dashed, 10"]Louie turned a bit pink as the girl smiled to him, and glanced away shyly to reach for a sausage sitting on a lavish, center-most plate. Matilda noticed he couldn't quite stretch that far, and so lifted the plate and brought it closer to the child with a smile.

Zachary, meanwhile, didn't touch his food. He placed the goblet back down onto the table and rested his head in one hand - knowing it was bad table manners, but... He could hardly care. While the day had started out rather well... Once again, things were weighing him down, and destroying his appetite. He watched Mary interact with the child, and found himself... Feeling oddly jealous. He wished that the maid would smile at him that way too, and he knew it was terribly silly, and strange, and all kinds of stupid to be jealous of a child... But the vampire wished that he could appear just as innocent as a young boy. His memory had been taken from him, and he did not remember what his life was like before his curse. It was so frustrating, that it almost brought him to tears right at that moment.

He pouted, rather childishly, and continued staring at the scone on his plate.

Meanwhile, Peter lifted his gaze to meet Mary's and chuckled. "I have quite the list of chores for you, young lady." Louie glanced over at the blonde and piped, "Mister Peter, can Mary help me with Honey today? Gerard says that she's a smelly ol' beast and he doesn't wanna help anymore." Matilda gasped, turning to the gardener with a growl, "Gerard..." Peter laughed, and nodded. "Yes, of course Louie. Never mind about those chores, then. I can do most of the work myself anyway."

Zachary furrowed his brows, and his shoulders slumped. He had wanted to talk to maid some more, but... How could he sneak outside to the stables? There was no way that Peter would let him...[/fieldbox]

The brunette lightly chuckled when the young boy blushed in embarrassment before averting his attention to the food. It was quite adorable and she wanted to pinch his cheeks. So far, the little fella was the only person she felt comfortable with, even though she hadn't even talked to him. Perhaps it was because he was younger.

Returning her attention to the scones, Mary happily finished the one she had picked up first. The chocolate and strawberries had been an excellent addition. Her master must be of very high wealth to have chocolate like this. Then she felt extremely foolish because looking at it now. This manor screamed of high wealth. It was such a great contrast to the wealth her family had. If they were to compare, well, she definitely lived in poverty. Maybe being here would end her struggle of not having the luxury of such lavish things, yet none of this could amount to the price of having a loving family. She would pick them over riches anyday.

"Hmm? Oh. Yes, sir." Mary nodded then snapped her gave over to the youn boy. She was taken aback at the fact that he wanted her to help him at the stables, but realize that she preferred that then doing many chores. It'll also give her the opportunity to make a friend. "You tend to the horses?" Mary finally found her voice and spoke out to Louie with a kind smile.

[/fieldbox]

Status
Not open for further replies.