[cassie x north]

c a s s i e
"Who said I was going?" Cassie replied, before peering outside her room to see what her roommates were doing. They seemed busy. "I have roommates, and things like Ubereats and Postmates exist." Cassie replied. Seeing the next text, the young girl raised an eyebrow at North's accuracy. She was right. She wasn't 21, but she was damn close to it. Cassie was able to taste the alcoholic drinks and uninhibited access to weed. Just one more year. Cassie couldn't wait for her 21st birthday. It was going to be one of the biggest parties of her life. Drugs, alcohol, and all sorts of trashy behavior going on. It was going to be a good time.

"Yeah... I'm only 20." Cassie texted. "I'm assuming you are as well?" Usually older people lived in apartments, and very seldom did they live in places like dormitories for long. Cassie didn't like the idea of being confined to dormitories. There were way too many rules for her. Lights out at a certain hour, blocked internet, shared showers, etc. Cassie liked everything to be shared between herself and a few people she could trust. She shared a bathroom with her roommates, but they did a good job at keeping it clean and making sure they didn't overuse anything. The same could not be said for the other strangers that inhabited the dormitories of the University of Washington.

"Do you want McNuggies? I can get an UberEats to drop some off to you... or I can make my roommate go over there and give you some." Cassie asked curiously. Hopefully North would say no, but Cassie still wouldn't oppose to North saying yes. McNuggies were good, okay?

n o r t h

'I'm turning 20 this fall, yeah,'
North typed out first, relieved she had gotten that part right when guessing about Cassie. Even if it wouldn't have been the biggest deal in the whole world, getting the assumption wrong would have made her a little embarrassed, and possibly not as keen as continuing to talk as she currently was.

She had been wrong in assuming Cassie was planning to physically go to McDonald's though. Norths hometown wasn't quite big enough for things like that to be the most commonplace thing, in all honesty, North didn't even know if they had those kinds of services or not. Especially since you could just kind of drive to any of the food places in town within twenty minutes tops. So she hadn't really thought about that. Or that you could have roommates willing to just go get you some food at random, or get food for a stranger at random, based on Cassie's offers.

'And no I'm good' North continued to reply, as much as she would love some nuggets right now, she could live without them. Since she was probably not going to study tomorrow and thus not going to the café, she could maybe stop by McDonald's at some point then. Though now that she was talking to Cassie she almost wanted to go see her in person tomorrow. So she added, 'you working tomorrow?' just to check if it would be worth going. She'd probably end up not going either way, because she knew she didn't want to study and why else would she go there, but still, it couldn't hurt to know if Cassie would be there or not.

c a s s i e
Ugh. Work. Cassie didn't want to think about the things that plagued her on a daily basis. She had totally forgotten about the fact that she had to work tomorrow. Stupid weed, making her all happy. Coughing a bit, she sighed. What shift was she working tomorrow? Pulling up her email, she found the schedule for the week. Tomorrow, she was closing. On the bright side, she had more time to sleep, but on the downside she had less time for herself at night, which was when she was at peace the most. "I work from 5 PM all the way to closing tomorrow. Totally looking forward to it." Cassie rolled her eyes, before she pulled up the UberEats app for McDonald's.

"Okay, North. As fun as it was to totally talk to ya, I'm gonna go pig out and fall asleep. I'll catch you later :)" Cassie replied, before making an absolutely massive order on the app. It was well over $20, and it was mostly for herself. Placing the order, Cassie sat back in her chair and sighed. Did she have it in her to smoke another joint? Probably not. But she did have it in her to finish all of her food, which was what she did that night. Forty pieces of chicken nuggets and two large fries all to herself.

The next night, Cassie was in the cafe all by herself. Since it got really slow at this time of year and this time at night, Cassie took the liberty to make the cafe a little more her. Swapping the usual gentle easy music, she put on her own music and she was currently cleaning everything by herself. It was about fifteen minutes from closing, and there was little to no sign of anyone coming in. Cassie figured she'd get a head start on cleaning everything so she could get out of here sooner. The whole process was going to take her about forty five minutes, but the sooner she got started the sooner she'd be out.

Singing along to the song quietly, Cassie took a sip out of her own cup of coffee before continuing to wipe down the cappuccino machine. Her sleeves were rolled up pretty high, exposing more of her floral tattoos. Not like she cared. No judgmental bitch would come in right now, anyway.

n o r t h

With a final text of 'have fun sleeping and snacking,' North put her phone away and went back to whatever it had been she had watched, feeling mostly positive. Maybe she should have texted Cassie when she first got her number, it had been fun after all. But what was done was done and she couldn't do much about it.

The next day she had gone to McDonald's for lunch and brought it back to the dorms, watching some old South Park episodes while eating, and it had been rad. But since Skylar had yet to arrive it was starting to get boring around the afternoon. She didn't mind being alone but she kind of minded being bored. Back at home she could at least pester her little brother or hang out with her parents to prevent that, and when Skylar was back she'd talk to her if he got bored obviously.

Now she couldn't do either of those things. She tried to entertain herself to the best of her abilities until finally, an idea popped up in her head. Cassie. It was getting on the late side, not too close to closing time, if she left now she could get there and maybe have time to get a coffee without being rude. There would be no studying obviously. But it was something to do. So she headed out, glad it was the evening so she could grab a beanie without seeming too weird.

When she entered the cafe it was almost closing time, maybe fifteen or so minutes before it and it was completely empty, save for one person. That person was unsurprisingly Cassie. She was cleaning, so maybe it was too late, but North was already there so she couldn't just leave, that'd be weird. Though she did just spend a moment kind of looking at her, because her sleeves were rolled up even more, revealing more of her tattoos. Flowers. It was really pretty and North imagined they suited her pretty well.

"Hey, are you already closed?" Was the first thing she said, maybe she should have gone with asking how she was or something, but she was kind of using coffee as an excuse to be there and come say hi, so it was what she was going with.

c a s s i e
Cassie was startled as she heard a voice behind her. Damn it! She was hoping there wouldn't be any customers coming in before closing. The later they came to closing, the more Cassie hated them. Turning around, she wanted to see who was stupid enough to come at this time of night for a cup of coffee. I mean, who the hell wanted a cup of coffee at this time of night? Were they stupid or so- oh. Cassie's eyes widened as she realized it was North. Huh. She was here later than usual. Well, at least she'd decided to show up today. Shaking her head, she was ensuring that they were still technically open. As much as Cassie hated these types of customers, she was always more than happy to make an exception for North.

"Yeah... we're open." Cassie said, chucking the rag into the sink. It needed to be rinsed, anyway. Walking up to the iPad, Cassie used a pen to start putting in North's usual order. The brownies may not have been as fresh as they would be if North had come in at her regular time, but there were still some and they were still pretty soft. "You want the usual, right?" Cassie smiled, finishing the order that North had usually gotten. There was still just enough coffee for North's order. Her timing could not be impeccable.

"Are you going to stay? You can stay if you want to." Just because the cafe operations were closed didn't mean that she had to kick everyone out. People were allowed to stay as long as an employee was staying. It was college. Sometimes people just needed places to study that weren't their homes or the library. North was more than allowed to stay past closing. Hell, if she could figure out how to conveniently turn off the security cameras, she could even show her around and show her all the good stuff.

n o r t h

North nodded at the question about the usual, of course, she wanted the usual, and this time Cassie brought it up and it was no mention of North accidentally being rude. Though now that she was there and realised no one else was and music that very much couldn't be what they usually played, and thus Cassie's music, played in the background and Cassie was cleaning, she realised maybe it was kind of rude to stop by that late?

"I don't want to stay if you want to close down," North said, "I was just feeling like having some coffee, and I guess I was kind of... bored?" she had debated saying lonely for a moment, it wouldn't have necessarily been true, but it was the word Cassie kept using so maybe she would like it. She still felt weird about making something like that up though, and like what difference would it make if Cassie liked that for a second?

"But I'll take my stuff to go if you want to go home, I didn't think I'd be the only one here," she hadn't actually thought about if anyone else would be there, she had just thought about getting coffee and getting to say hello to Cassie. She also hadn't thought so much about what would happen after she had done those two things either. She really ought to think through what she did more.

c a s s i e
Wait, no! That wasn't what Cassie wanted to do! Cassie wanted North to stay. If someone was gonna stick around, might as well have it be the mysterious, but interesting North. It'd give her an opportunity to talk to her further. Taking North's hand before she could even pull away, Cassie tugged at it just a bit. "No, it's okay! We let people stay here past closing. As long as an employee, like yours truly, is still here, then it's totally fine." Cassie turned around to make North's order real quick. It was the same old procedure as always. Cassie just hoped that North didn't mind some slightly stale coffee.

Placing the order on the counter, Cassie then let North retrieve it herself as she walked up to the door. "Lemme just close this real quick..." Cassie murmured, before she kicked out the doorstop and closed the door. Hopefully people would get the clue and not try to come in. She was tempted to yell at anyone who dared come in through the door, but that wouldn't give the cafe a good name, would it? She'd have to eat her words and hold them where the sun didn't shine. Turning around, she walked past North once again.

"Just give me about half an hour, and maybe I can give you a tour of the cafe? How does that sound?" Cassie inquired, leaning on the order counter as she looked for North's reaction. Hopefully she'd be up for that.

n o r t h

Cassie opposed to the idea of North leaving to the point of grabbing her hand. North blushed a little and when she got the chance she pulled her hand back to herself, not in a harsh motion, but sh pocket it to prevent it from happening again. People she didn't really know touching her made her feel kind of weird sometimes. Hell, people she knew touching her made her feel weird sometimes. Her mom and dad always complained about her pulling away from hugs and things like that. The hand thing didn't mean she didn't like Cassie's suggestion though, the idea of getting a tour of the place she visited so often piqued her interest.

"Oh uh, okay I guess? As long as it's alright?" North said, sounding maybe a little unsure. It was okay if Cassie was the one insisting, right? So she wasn't actually being a bother or anything. And if she would be showing her around she was just kind of waiting for Cassie to wrap up. Because they were going to kind of hang out.

So North sat down by one of the tables, making sure it was one that didn't look like it had been cleaned yet, rather than her usual, so Cassie wouldn't get a bunch of extra work and sat down to wait. She brought out her phone as she munched on her brownie and sipped on the coffee. Browsing Tumblr for what might or might not have been South Park fanart... No one needed to know. She didn't really say much, not registering that it might come off as awkward or anything, she just didn't want to bother Cassie while she was working, since she was already there when she wasn't really supposed to be.

c a s s i e
Humming to herself as Cassie wiped down all of the cabinets, she had nearly forgotten that North was there. Cassie was too honed in on getting whatever she was doing done as fast as possible so she could get out of here. Only, she couldn't get out of the cafe when she was done. She still had North to take care of. Finishing off the last counter, Cassie then started to wash the last batch of cups and dishes. There was a lot of them, but on the bright side, once she was done she was done with her part of closing. Everything else was taken care of already by the other people, who'd left already.

Scrubbing away at one last pot, Cassie finally put it on the drying rack. She was done. In record time, too! She was proud of herself. Taking her apron off and hanging it in the back, Cassie emerged from the rear with a sigh of relief. Apparently, North hadn't noticed her. She was much too enveloped in that phone of hers to do anything. It was a good opportunity to maybe remind North that Cassie wanted to give her the tour, but she didn't want to completely remove North from her phone. Whatever she was doing looked intense.

"Hey, North. You ready for that tour?" Cassie asked curiously, leaning on the counter behind the cashier. "I'm ready when you are."

n o r t h

After a while North got pretty wrapped up in her own thing, she tended to do that, it was good for studying, less good for unproductive things like what she was currently doing. She didn't really register how much time had passed, which wasn't too long really, until Cassie reminded her where she was and what was going on by speaking.

"Oh yeah, of course, I'm not even doing anything," North said and quickly locked her phone and stood up. It was a little frustrating knowing Tumblr was going to send her back to the top of the tag the next time she was going to go through it, but she was pretty sure she was getting to things she had already seen anyways, so she'd live.

She headed over to the counter, still with the coffee in hand, the brownie was long since finished but she supposed she could sip on the still warm coffee while they were touring the cafe, whatever that would entail. It would probably be very boring if North had ever worked in a cafe or something, at least she assumed most would be operating the same, but she hadn't so she was curious to see, "Will you show me all the coffee making secrets outsiders aren't supposed to know?"

c a s s i e
Cassie chuckled as North brought up the prospect of her finding out the well kept secrets to coffee making. North could be a funny girl. She liked that about her. There was a dry humor about her, and for whatever reason Cassie was loving it. "Yeah... you'll get to see the beans we buy from the grocery store." Cassie giggled, before letting North into the back. "This is the counter. This is where the magic happens." The counter consisted of many things to make drinks, such as syrups, loads of coffee beans, cups, mugs, and whatnot. It was incredibly tidy thanks to the efforts of a certain someone. Cassie then opened up the cloth door to the back.

The back revealed where all the magic happened. There was a TON of coffee beans in the back, which was why there was such a strong coffee smell. "This is the back. This is where literally everything in this cafe starts off." There was a whole lot of stuff in the back. Cassie would understand if North was slightly overwhelmed by the sheer amount of stuff in the back. It was a lot. Luckily Cassie's job had it so that she didn't have to be back there often. There were dedicated people in the back who had to make everything and clean everything.

"Any questions, so far? I know it's a lot to take in." Cassie joked, before continuing deeper into the back. The tour was already mostly done. Everything else could easily be seen outside.

n o r t h

North looked at everything Cassie showed her with wide eyes. It was just a café, nothing crazy, but she had never actually been behind the cash register in this kind of place, much less in the back, smelling all the strong smell of the coffee beans up close. She kind of loved it, and she kind of got why Cassie could work here even if she got annoyed by customers. The cosy feeling of the actual serving area had followed them into the back, and North would never complain about the smell of coffee, no matter how overpowering... She wondered if the smell and feeling followed Cassie home too, to North Cassie was kind of part of the Café experience. Not that Cassie wasn't more than just someone working there, but to North, it wouldn't feel completely right going to this cafe if Cassie suddenly didn't work here.

"I have no questions but I'm seriously impressed by the amount of coffee,"
she said as she followed Cassie curiously. Obviously, there couldn't be much more to see, but she was still curious, maybe not only about the things she would see but of how Cassie would show them.

"Oh, no hang on, I have one question,"
North realised, it was not a question but a continuation on the previously jokes, because she thought the idea of coffee secrets were pretty funny, "should I be worried I'll be assassinated within like a week since I know all of the coffee business' trade?'"

c a s s i e
Cassie raised an eyebrow as North brought up the prospect of her being assassinated. That was ridiculous, but funny. "Yeah. If you see a black van pull up and a bunch of men in suits start coming after you, you should start running." Cassie stuck her tongue out, before she looked around. Seeing the little room in the back, Cassie pointed to it. "You see that room back there? That's the office. All that's in there is a computer, a desk, and a chair." Cassie shrugged. "I could go in there, but it's really not worth it. It's so... plain and benign." Cassie chuckled, before leading North back outside. The tour was over. There wasn't much else to see.

"Unfortunately, Ms. North, that concludes our tour for today." She frowned, before guiding her out to the front. She swayed idly, trying to think of something else to occupy North with. Maybe giving her a tour of the cafe wasn't a good idea. Not like there was much to see in the first place, anyway. "If you have any more questions, you let me know. Otherwise you're free to your own vices. I'll be behind the counter and I'll be on my phone till you wanna leave. You can stay as long as you want."

n o r t h

Not long after it had started the tour was over, it really wasn't some huge place so North hadn't expected anything else, but the little tour had in Norths head been when she was supposed to go home. And she had finished her coffee so there was no other reason to stay there. Except for Cassie, who probably was the whole reason she was there, to begin with. And she was offering to let her stay. Though, North didn't want to force her to just sit there with her phone while she did nothing either.

"Well, my coffee is empty,"
she said, carefully trying to figure out how to phrase things to be able to stay, while not bothering Cassie, "I don't really have anything else to do now though... I guess I kind of came here because I was bored, I dunno..."

She shrugged but reaffirming the reason she was there brought a bit of a blush onto her cheeks, she had said it before but now it was more stating that if she went back home, she'd continue to be bored, but if she stayed with Cassie she wouldn't be. And she felt a little silly for doing so, it just felt a little too emotional and sappy, and it felt weird because it wasn't like they were proper friends, had it been Skylar or someone it wouldn't have been as big of a deal.

c a s s i e
Cassie was trying to think of something to do. Based off of North's tone, Cassie got the impression that she didn't want to leave just yet. That was fine with Cassie, but she didn't have anything that they could do here. Nothing legal, anyway. Putting a hand up to her chin, she was very obviously trying to concentrate and figure out something for them to do. She couldn't refill North's cup of coffee since all the coffee had been dumped away. Hmm. It was beginning to look like she was going to have to resort to more illegal activities to pass the time.

"Give me one second, North." Cassie murmured, as she dove into the back and went to go fetch something. Coming back out a couple of minutes later, Cassie had a baggie in her hand. In it, were a couple of brownies. "These, right here, are some special brownies." Cassie reached into the bag and broke the brownie in half, before breaking that half of the brownie into another half. By breaking that half, Cassie had severely hindered its power. That was what she wanted, anyway.

Handing one half to North, Cassie took the other half in her hands. "If you don't wanna eat it, that's fine. It's not gonna mess you up too bad if you do. You'll just feel like you're on a cloud and want to eat everything else for like a couple of hours." She looked at North. Hopefully she'd play along and eat the edible.

n o r t h

North's eyes widened a little as she received the brownie. Normally she would never say no to brownies, but normally she wasn't offered brownies with drugs in them. Well other than that one time Skylar and her took use of the dorm kitchen and made bailey brownies, but that felt like less of a big deal. Not that it was less of a big deal. Them drinking alcohol underaged was the same thing as her and Cassie getting high underaged. North just still wasn't used to quite how legal it was, simply because she didn't hang out with people who smoked a lot.

But she still took it, and she looked at it for a couple of seconds before trying to decide what to do. Did she eat it? She had never gotten high before... Was it smart to do it in what essentially was a public place? How would it affect her? If she said no did that mean they wouldn't hang out, or would Cassie just have hers and while North would get to experience high Cassie in person?

Finally, after staring t the brownie for a while, she brought it up to her mouth and suspiciously nibbled on a corner, a little to paranoid to shovel it all into her mouth but also wanting to show that she was on board with the idea. It'd be fun, right? "Do you just like, casually keep drugs in your workplace?" she asked with a slightly amused tone, taking another small and hesitant nibble of the brownie.

c a s s i e
Cassie put a finger up to her mouth as North questioned whether or not she actually kept drugs at the workplace. "It's not mine." Cassie nudged, a chuckle emitting from the young girl as she held the brownie in front of her. The way North was nibbling at it was pretty cute. It reminded her of a chipmunk. Based on the way she was handling it, it was even more obvious that North was completely new to the world of weed. There was a first time for everything, after all. She wasn't going to judge North for cautiously trekking through uncharted territory.

Meanwhile, Cassie just ate the whole fucking brownie in one bite. She knew the high wouldn't be shit to her, but she was more concerned about North. How would the high hit her? "Take it slow and steady, North. If you eat the whole thing in one go you're gonna fuckin' die." Cassie teased, before sitting down. Cassie could feel a little high hit her, but she didn't pay much mind to it. She was more concerned about her friend about to get high for the very first time.

Hey. North's weed virginity was taken! Cassie couldn't believe she was the one to take it. Edibles were definitely not a bad way to go about it, either.

n o r t h

North raised her eyebrows at the statement of it not being Cassie's. It didn't stop her from continuing her nibbling though, she didn't like the idea of taking someone else's stuff but the damage was already done so it wasn't like there was anything she could really do.

"Oh shit, yeah I guess I don't want to die?" North said and took another still cautious but a little more normal sized bite of the brownie. Which maybe wasn't the brightest idea, she felt like she had heard that it took a little longer to get high from edibles, so maybe she wouldn't register it straight away and she really should take it easy like Cassie said. She just didn't want to stand there and eat a brownie for like twenty minutes.

"I dunno, maybe I just shouldn't have all of it," She said cautiously after getting half of the excuse to get high down, "Also won't the person you're like low-key stealing these from get mad?"

c a s s i e
Cassie smiled as North was making the implication that Cassie was stealing these. Cassie breaking the law? Psh. She would never. Cassie was an absolute angel, and despite her tattoos and the piercing that she wanted sometime in the future, she would never. "I never said I was stealing these. Who said I was stealing these?" Cassie chuckled, before adding onto what she said earlier, "It's my coworkers, but you can bet your ass that we're totally allowed to eat these too. All of us gotta chill out somehow." She shrugged, before watching North nibble on the brownie.

Just how innocent was this girl? Did she really have no idea about the ways that college students did things? College was a wild time. She doubted that North had even been to a party at all. Poor girl was missing out on all the potential fun that could have been had with drunk students looking to get wasted and get high. If you stayed away from the dudes trying to get into your pants, then it was more enjoyable. Cassie would have to take her to one of the University of Washington's signature parties someday.

"You feeling okay?" Cassie inquired, trying to see if it had started to hit her yet. This would either hit her like a train, or just creep up on her like a bug. Hopefully it'd be the latter, but at the same time she'd wanted to see a more... unraveled North.

n o r t h

Slowly North felt the drugs kick in, or well she thought it was, she really couldn't be sure. For all, she knew the fact that she was starting to feel a little different, but finding it hard to pinpoint exactly how yet, could just be placebo.

"I think so?" North said, still sounding kind of cautious, this situation was kind of weird, it was new and she didn't like new situations a lot of the time, but her brain was also starting to feel like it couldn't be bothered to care, "I don't even know how you're supposed to feel when you're high?" she let out a small chuckle after that because she found it a little funnier than it probably was, and she was pretty sure her brain felt a little more fuzzy than normal, and not in the way it got when you got drunk, less 'I lack impulse control' and more unfocused.

Borth had a weird relationship with being able to focus on things, either she was super focused on things or she didn't care at all now she just felt kind of chill, and maybe a little giggly, which was weird, because she usually wasn't all that giggly. "Like how do you even know?" she asked, she wasn't even sure if that was a joke or a genuine question, either way Cassie would know the answer better than she did.