[cassie x north]

c a s s i e
The rest of Cassie's shift had gone smoothly. The encounter with North had lifted enough weight off of her shoulders for her to be able to focus properly. Not like she needed to do so. It wasn't rush hour or a fast day in particular. Most of the time Cassie was dicking around in the back chatting it up with her coworkers. There was a monitor inside that displayed a view up front, so Cassie could have a clear view and come outside when she needed. She didn't even remember that North was there. Cassie had been too preoccupied with herself and her coworkere to pay any mind to her hopefully newfound friend.

At last, she was finally off. Cassie had been released from the cafe after a rather long shift. Unfortunately, the sun was gone by then. Cassie was on her way walking back home, when she felt her phone buzz in her pocket. If someone was texting her, it might have been one of her roommates. They probably wanted her to pick up some groceries. No way. If they wanted some more Oreos they were going to have to go pick some up themselves. Cassie wasn't interested in sharing her favorite type of cookie with anyone else.

Cassie still had to see what it was, though. Opening the text, it was discovered that it was North. Well damn. The mad lass had actually decided to text her. Cassie wasn't expecting the text so soon, but it was better than not getting one at all. She smirked to herself as she finally arrived at her apartment. Walking up the stairs to the second floor, Cassie grabbed her keys from her bag and unlocked the door. What was revealed inside was a relatively unkempt apartment. It was clear a bunch of young adults lived here. A couple of her roommates, Kelsey and Jennifer, were on the couch sharing a sleeve of oreos as they were watching Netflix on their TV. Only a wave was exchanged between Cassie and her roommates before she went into her room and locked herself in there.

Throwing her bag aside, she went over to her bed and plopped down on it. Sighing, she pulled out her phone. Now was time to reply. Staring at the phone, she thought up of a response to North. "Hey North! How are ya?"

N o r t h

Cassie’s response came after a couple of minutes. North was just kind of sitting in bed watching some Netflix shows at this point. Skylar, who had come to be her closest and honestly honey friend at uni, and also her roommate had yet to arrive yet. She lived further away and needed less time than North to get settled in. So it just meant North had more time to do whatever she wanted and just hang out until then.

Which also meant a lot of her focus was on Cassie’s text. How was she doing? Fine, nothing interesting. This was definitely the textbook version of small talk. She just didn’t know what was the point, because Cassie surely wouldn’t care to know such a nothing answer? But she had asked so North typed, ‘fine’ and was about to put her phone away and wait for a reply when she realized that even if she knew she was going to get about the same answer back she should probably ask her how she was doing too.

‘Hbu?’ She typed, pressed send waited another second before deciding to add, 'was it fun to make coffee?' Because that she was actually interested in, not that she was some coffee fanatic, but she liked the café and while it was work Cassie seemed to enjoy it enough for it not to be an unpleasant topic of conversation or anything.

Last edited:
c a s s i e
Cassie had put her phone aside for just a bit as she pulled up Spotify and play some music. Since she was home, she could start doing what she wanted to do. Since this was the Pacific Northwest, Cassie of course, had hobbies that were specific to this area. Going into a deep corner of her room, she found her super secret stash of the Devil's Lettuce. As she grabbed a lighter, she lit her joint up and inhaled, letting the smoke fill her lungs. Cassie didn't smoke weed too often, but tonight was just one of those nights where she felt like she could use a little chemical relaxing.

Suddenly, her music cut out with her text tone. Hm. Did North finally reply? Taking another drag of her joint, she exhaled before checking her phone. It was, in fact, North. It took her a bit to reply, but that was okay. She was also one of those people who liked to add onto previous texts. That was good, since that was the style in which Cassie liked to text anyway. There were three text bubbles by the time she got around to unlocking her phone. She smiled to herself.

Taking another drag of her joint, she started typing up a response. For whatever reason, Cassie felt inclined to reply quickly to North. Usually it took her ages to reply, mostly because she usually didn't want to talk to people. But today was different. Sticking her joint in her mouth, she started typing away at her phone. "I'm good. Making coffee is the same old stuff. Nothing special." Cassie hit send, before putting her phone back onto her bed. The blonde just stood in her room, joint in her mouth as she waited for North to text back. Guess she was going to have something to do tonight, after all.

n o r t h

North put on her show again as she waited for Cassie's reply, though now her focus was almost more on Cassie, just kind of looking at her phone waiting for what was to come next. She was just curious what it would be, even if it would be something mundane. She supposed she was kind of starting to understand the whole talking about nothing thing. It wasn't really nothing because she didn't know Cassie yet. If this was a conversation from someone back home she would kind of know what their replies would be, but she didn't know what Cassie would respond with. It was actually a little exciting.

The reply that she got back was slightly less exciting, even so, it was kind of exciting for North because now she realized she didn't really have any expectations for the answer. Usually, she didn't like not knowing how things would turn out but this seemed to be the exception.

'Well It's kinda special to me,' she typed after pausing her show, fingers moving quickly across the keyboard. She pressed send and took up typing again right away, 'I've never worked in a place like that u know?' she added to clarify. She tended to text like this, she'd type something, think of something to add on and just do so. And thusly she added a final text, 'idk what it's like, it seems fun, though I bet dealing with customers can get annoying' trying to dig a little deeper with the whole work thing, she wasn't so interested she would die if she didn't know, but it was the only thing she knew about Cassie so that caused her to gravitate towards the subject.

c a s s i e
Her phone buzzed again. The fact that it was touching another object on her bed had amplified the vibration. It made a god-awful noise, but it definitely got Cassie's attention. Turning around, she nearly dropped her joint. Jeez. That was the last time she was gonna let her phone near anything. Picking it up, North had texted back. Damn, she texted back fast. Her joint was in her mouth as she tried to think of a response. She wanted to tell North how she really felt about customers, but she was scared that she might accidentally lump in North with them. Eh, nothing a little clarification could fix.

"I hate customers sooo much." Cassie hit send before starting on her next message, "They always act like they're better than me... but like who's the one making your drink?" Cassie disliked customers, "If you can't deal with customers and how much of an asshole they can be, then it's not for ya. Also, there's a lot of memorization. Took me like two months to learn how to do everything properly." Hitting send, Cassie chucked the phone back onto her bed. Her joint was half gone at this point, and she was starting to feel the high, kind of. Hopefully there were still some Oreos outside. However, the prospect of North texting her back was keeping Cassie tethered to her room. She was extremely intrigued by this girl.

But, she had to wait now. She didn't want to triple text and look like she was annoying. Sitting down in her chair, she turned on her computer to start surfing the web and see what she'd missed on the day. Hopefully North would reply soon, because she was bored out of her mind otherwise.

n o r t h

North's movie was paused again the moment her phone buzzed. At this point maybe she shouldn't even worry about starting it again, seeing as she was way more invested in the conversation. It was a little odd for her to be, she wasn't always. She'd forget to reply to friends for several days, sometimes even weeks. And even when she got out a speedy couple of replies she'd end up putting her phone somewhere and forget. Maybe it was that she had realised that Cassie didn't know that was what she usually did, maybe it was not wanting to upset her again, or maybe it was just the curiosity of wanting to see what Cassie would write, but when the next came she was all over it right away.

Cassie didn't like customers. North was a customer but she figured Cassie wouldn't say that to her if it included her? The description of the job was interesting though, because it said a little more about Cassie as a person. Clearly, she wasn't afraid to stick with something challenging if it paid off in the end, both in terms of job and her major. North didn't really like to do things that challenged her in an unpleasant way, so she could admire that.

'I'm pretty good with memorization if I want to' she typed, because she was, 'less good with people, hence the taking long to text' she then added 'Is memorizing orders hard? Should I not expect you to do that?' just to make sure she wasn't annoying Cassie by asking for the usual again, maybe that was the kind of behaviour she considered acting like you were better than her, even if that hadn't been North's intent.

c a s s i e
By the time North had replied, Cassie had returned from a pantry raid full of various snacks such as Oreos, potato chips, and other cookies. Cassie was feeling the high, alright. But, before she could start devouring some, North was the more important issue at hand. She had a text she needed to respond to. Grabbing her joint off of her ashtray, she took another drag. North clearly misunderstood what orders meant. Cassie didn't mean what people ordered. That was easy. It was making the orders themselves that was harder. There had to be sugar levels that had to be memorized, very specific times to boil certain things for, and how much coffee grounds to put in.

"No, that's not what I meant." Cassie laughed and started to text some more, "I meant like, making the drinks. Especially the sweeter ones, like frappuccinos or smoothies. There's a lot to memorize since bossman wants it done a certain way." Cassie had North's order the first time she actually bothered to memorize it. It easy since it was just regular coffee and a brownie. The brownies at the cafe weren't really that popular anyway. Only a handful of people outside of North had actually bothered to order the brownie.

"Your order was super easy to memorize." Cassie then realized that she had snacks in front of her. All this talk about food and whatnot was starting to make her super hungry. Cassie felt like that was a good way to change the direction of the conversation. Taking a picture of the pile of snacks on her bed, she captioned it. "I got the munchies. You want some?" The rather high girl then put a couple emojis to cap off the picture, and then sent it off to North's way. She giggled to herself as she opened a bag of chips, and started snacking on them as she waited for her reaction.

n o r t h

Oh, at least North knew she wasn't doing wnything wrong by ordering the usual after the last text from Cassie. She hadn't even bothered to turn the show back on this time, now just waiting for the text messages. This time she also received a picture. A picture of a whole bunch of snacks, telling her she had the munchies. Was she high? It was always so odd seeing people be so casual about drugs and alcohol to North, seeing as both she and her friends back home tended to not really partake in activities that revolved around either. She wasn't opposed to it or anything, it just wasn't something that happened in her normal small circle of friends.

She snapped a shot of the space in front of her. Her laptop balancing on her legs that were dressed in sweatpants, the blanket covered in stars and the cat plushie thrown haphazardly on the bed. She was one of those people who just didn't have the heart to throw out her plushies, but she had only brought her most important one to college in an attempt to be a little more of an adult.

'I have nothing' she typed, adding a couple of sad emojis, before pressing send, 'I'm totally jealous and I very much want some,'

c a s s i e
Drugs weren't something Cassie usually dabbled in, but college introduced her to an entirely different world. Taking her first ever hit was enough to have her hooked. She was surprised that she wasn't into this sooner. Was North into weed as well? Cassie could always use a couple more smoking buddies. But if she didn't want to so then that was also okay. Weed wasn't for everyone. Her longtime friends also dabbled in it, but not as much as Cassie did. A shockingly high proportion of her income had gone to the devil's lettuce. Even though she wasn't of legal buying age, she had friends and roommates in various places that were. That was why she had so much of it in her room. Fortunately, they were all placed in air-tight containers so the smell wouldn't leak.

Seeing North's reply, she frowned a bit. Darn. She felt bad for the poor girl. Did they even have snacks wherever she was? Based on what she could see, North was either in her own apartment room or a dormitory. The cat plushie was a nice touch as well. "Nice plushie." Cassie giggled, before opening up the camera app again to snap a picture of herself with a joint in her mouth. Cassie's eyes were kinda red, her blonde hair was done up in a cute bun of some sorts, and of course there was the joint hanging out her mouth. She looked good. She was going to save that for herself.

"You smoke?" Cassie texted, sending the picture along. Hopefully North said yes, but at the very least she hoped North wasn't adamant about no drugs. She would hate to lose a potential friend over something so harmless to other people.

n o r t h

The next text North received was kind of unexpected. A selfie. A selfie where Cassie confirmed that she was smoking. She still looked cute though, North imagined you could tell she was high, because she looked like she imagined people looked when they had been smoking, a little chill and her eyes a little red. But the picture was still cute.

North wouldn't be replying with a selfie of her own though, she felt a little too weird about that, even if it would have just been mimicking Cassie's way of texting, 'No, not really' she typed and added the reason as to why, 'I'm from Idaho, it's very illegal there. Which doesn't mean I mind it, it's kind of dumb that it is,' she added the last part so that Cassie would know she didn't mind it, it was her true opinion too so she wasn't just making it up to not scare off the other girl.

'Do you smoke a lot?' North was just curious, she knew there were people who made smoking pot kind of a part of their identity and lifestyle. Cassie didn't strike her for one of those people, but she was also getting the feeling that Cassie wasn't just someone who you could take one look at and figure out. Like how she apparently seemed to have more than one tattoo lining her arm, though North mostly saw them covered with sleeves.

c a s s i e
Idaho? People actually lived there? Huh. That was the first time Cassie had met someone from there. It also explained North's way of doing things. Maybe people in Idaho just did things way differently. It certainly explained all the eccentricities that North had. Cassie's thumbs were dancing above her phone as she tried to think of a reponse. Her stoned ass was clearly starting to feel it now. She was struggling to think up of a response to such an easy question.

"I don't smoke a lot. Maybe like once a week?" Cassie wanted to make sure her supply lasted. Also, too much weed was bad for you. As fun as it was to be stoned off your ass, it wasn't good to constantly do it. It made getting high so much harder. That was how people moved onto drugs like heroin and cocaine, anyway. Cassie had no interest in falling into that trap. She'd seen what it was capable of doing.

"But Idaho... tell me what that was like. Were there a lot of potatoes?" Potatoes were the only thing Cassie could think of when it came of things that came from Idaho. Truthfully, she couldn't even place it on a map if she had to. That was how irrelevant the state was in the grand scheme of things. No offense to North, obviously.

n o r t h

Obviously once a week was a lot from North's perspective, but knowing that some people smoked daily she figured that to someone who lived in Washington and who probably was a little more social than her, because she assumed most people were, once a week probably wasn't a huge deal. Maybe she'd ask more about it at some point but for now, the topic changed to her home state and its potatoes.

'Are potatoes all we are to you!?' North typed out as a joke, because the potato comment had caused her to let out a small giggle. She couldn't blame here, if you lived in the state that produced like one-third of the countries potatoes, and shamelessly so as they had a fucking potato museum, that was what you had to live with

'I'm from northern Idaho, It's so close to Washington I doubt there's that big of a difference,'
she figured this was the case, leaving Idaho for college had still been a very big deal though, because she didn't leave for an equally big town, she left for Seatlle, and Seattle was a lot bigger, 'Are you from Washington then?' she typed, genuinely curious, she hadn't really thought about where Cassie was from, she had assumed from here, because unless someone had an accent that told otherwise she just kind of assumed they were from the place she was currently in.

c a s s i e
North's potato comment had brought a smile to Cassie's face. Seemed like this girl had a sense of humor after all. For whatever reason (prolly because she was high as fuuuck), Cassie was gigging uncontrollably at the joke. It was like she was watching standup comedy. Her stomach started to hurt because of how much she was giggling. Finally regaining composure, Cassie exhaled and started typing.

"LOL" She typed, before hitting send. Cassie had a smile on her face now, and that was when you knew she was invested. Reading what else North had to say, the conversation was directed back to her. Hell yeah she was from here! These streets of Seattle were her stomping grounds since birth.

"Yep. I was born and raised here."
Cassie loved Seattle more than she loved weed. Even though it was nothing like it was when she was growing up, she could still appreciate it for what it was. No other city in the world had the things Seattle did. Talking about Washington made her emotional, since she loved the state so much. It was a match made in heaven for her.

n o r t h

'Must be nice to live close to where you study, my family is like 6 h away, I suppose it could be worse though'
It was a little weird to almost say something a little serious to someone she knew probably was at least decently high. For a moment North wondered if this conversation would have been different and Cassie hadn't been high, she didn't think so, since they were talking about such basic things, maybe Cassie's answers would have been a little different. It was just interesting, since North had never really talked to someone while they were high before.

The topic made her think about something else she didn't know about Cassie though, where she lived. It wasn't all that weird, you normally didn't know where people who practically were strangers lived. But it wasn't so much the exact location she cared about as much as what type of location it was, maybe she lived in dorms, probably not in the same dormitory as her because then she would have seen her around, but maybe somewhere close? Or maybe with her family, North would have done that if it had been a possibility.

'So do you live with your family then?' she typed out as a quick ad on to her previous text, it felt like a good way to ask without being too intense about it.

c a s s i e
Cassie had finished her joint by the time North had replied. Placing it in the ashtray, Cassie then put herself in front of her phone and started to think about her response. As much as Cassie loved her parents and siblings, some independence was in due order for her. Being suffocated by your parents wasnt a fun experience no matter who you were. As soon as she graduated from high school she was hunting for apartments, which landed her here. The apartment she had stayed in for two years now was located in a very good spot. It was relatively safe, and the rent wasn't too bad. Sure, she had to live with other people but they were good people for the most part.

"No, I don't. I live in an apartment with a couple of roommates. We have a lot of fun." Cassie replied, before she moved onto the sleeve of Oreos. She felt like she could demolish this whole sleeve in about five minutes because she was just sooooo hungry. Cassie figured she should entertain North with a stupid picture of her. Pulling up her camera roll, she found the one picture she used to describe her roommates whenever anyone asked. It was a picture of a very obviously high Cassie with a stupid smile on her face. She was holding up a peace sign while her roommates were turned around with middle fingers. Sending that picture over to North, Cassie then stuffed two Oreos in her mouth.

"How about you? I assume you live in a dorm or apartment as well?" Cassie added on, turning to her computer to stare at some stupid meme about cats. It made her giggle, though.

n o r t h

'Wow your friends seems fantastically pleasant'
North typed, still smiling a little about the silly picture of Cassie and her roommates. They seemed like a fun bunch, despite the crude hand gestures. Cassie had clearly been in on the joke so there was no harm in it and honestly pretty darn funny.

'I live in a dorm' North then typed out as a proper answer to Cassie's question. She knew a lot of people would have tried to find an apartment right now, but she didn't mind the dorms, she was used to them and it seemed like such a hassle to try to apartment hunt while also focusing on school. Plus living in an apartment, even if she and Skylar were to find one together, would be more expensive and she'd have to work. It wasn't like she couldn't do that, but the combination of everything just seemed kind of stressful. It would have to be a project for the future for now.

'I'd send you a pic of my roommate but she's not here yet,' she kept replying, 'so it's a little boring but I also have the entire room to myself mwaha' she decided then to take a picture of the rest of the room to show that it was empty and send it. It was a dorm room so it was obviously not the most personal space. But there were plenty of band posters on the walls and North and Skylar always put some fairy lights to make it a little cozier, so North had done that upon arrival.

c a s s i e
Cassie raised an eye upon knowing that North was actually lonely in that cute room of hers. The fairy lights were a very nice touch. She had always wanted to put some in her room, but she never knew the name of those. Right now, her room was lit up by some ceiling titty in a rather warm tone. Finishing off her sleeve of Oreos in record time, she started typing furiously on her phone. "Looks like you could use some company. Seems lonely." As cozy as North's dorm looked, it didn't beat Cassie's apartment room. It was pretty big, in fact it was the biggest room in the apartment. Being good at rock, paper, scissors had actually come in handy for once.

"When's your roommate coming in? Do you just spend every night by yourself?" Cassie texted, before realizing that her earlier text might have sounded a little too flirty. Cassie wanted no part of anyone. She just wasn't in the right mindset to be balancing work, school, and a relationship. They were a lot of work, and there was simply little to gain by being in one. Cassie bit her lip. "Yo, where can I get those lights? I need some for my room. Save me some electricity." Cassie added on, before she heard her roommate yell from the living room.

"Cassie! Did you eat my fucking Oreos?" Her roommate yelled. "Bitch, they're my Oreos! I'm the one who bought those. Fuck off!" Cassie yelled back, before going back to whatever she was doing. "My roommate totally just tried to steal my Oreos. Smh."

n o r t h

North was a little taken aback by the first text, because it wasn't like any text she usually received by friends. She also didn't think just being alone felt lonely, so that part was a little silly to her. Maybe Cassie thought being alone meant lonely. She had asked her to text her in case she was feeling lonely before right? North just kind of didn't mind not talking to people.

The following text was regarding if she was by herself every night. Which she obviously was, so she didn't get why Cassie would ask a question with such an obvious answer. The next two texts made more sense though. About the fairy lights and the snacks and North chuckled a little as she imagined one of the people who had been flipping the camera of in the picture complaining about a by now probably pretty high Cassie munching on the Oreos.

'Skylar comes next week so I'm alone 'till then I don't mind though?' she typed quickly to get that part of the way, then she proceeded to answer the next part of the messages, 'I think they have them on most stores that have like lamps or just house decorations, idk we got ours freshman year so. It eats batteries though,' and then finally added a joking, 'that should be illegal, kick her out of the apartment,'

c a s s i e
Skylar, eh? The more surprising part was that North didn't mind being alone. It might have been blatantly obvious if you took the earlier confrontation into account, but Cassie's high ass didn't take that into consideration. To her, North treating being alone like it was nothing had come as a major surprise. Cassie didn't like people, but it didn't mean she liked being alone. Being alone made her feel isolated, and feeling isolated made her sad. Sad Cassie was never a good Cassie.

However, that topic was quickly moved on from. Good choice. North's reply to Cassie's comment had brought a grin to her face. It was illegal! Her roommate was stealing her stuff. However if she called the police they'd probably discover all of Cassie's weed. As much as she wanted to, she liked her weed more. She didn't want to kick her out either. That just meant she'd have to find a new roommate or pay more rent, which meant less money for weed and food and video games!

"I wish. If only it were that easy." Cassie texted, before she opened up the last bag of snacks. Damn. She was still hungry. Was it time for a McDonald's run? Cassie was willing to spend a LOT of money on nuggets and fries. "Should I get McDonalds? Do I deserve McDonald's? Does McDonald's deserve me?"

n o r t h

'I'm sure you deserve McDonald's, I can't tell you if it deserves you though,'
North chuckled while typing, she supposed the fact that Cassie was high brought some fun into the conversation. Would she had randomly craved McDonald's like this otherwise... Actually maybe, because now North was too.

'now I'm kind of craving nuggets now. Thanks.' she added. North loved McDonald's with a burning passion, specifically the nuggets. She was a picky eater, as much as she tried not to be. Meat was something she felt a little iffy about, it had to be specific kinds prepared in a specific way. Chicken nuggets always worked though, she was a five-year-old at heart.

'Should you really go to McDonald's while high? As much as it's illegal you're not 21' she realised then that she actually didn't know, she had just kind of assumed they were the same age, but being in the twenties most people could kind of pass being the same age, someone you thought was twenty was twenty-five and vice versa, Cassie seemed to be on the younger side of the scale. She quickly added, 'right? Or are you?' in case she had made the mistake of calling her younger than she was.