Cascade Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for True Detective, have you seen the second season? I haven't yet, and I'm wondering if it's can stand up to the first, being a different story and all.
I liked the first season better, but I think the second is worth checking out.

Two of the three new tabs now contain actual information! I might go back and revise some of it tomorrow/in the morning because I don't think it's very well written, but it's late and I honestly don't have the patience anymore after trying to fix my phone for four hours. I said I'd fill them in tonight, though, so that's what I'm trying to do. Also, more monster info and a picture will probably come with the first post--I'm too tired to figure out whether it makes sense to reveal the design before or after.

If anything is unclear, go ahead and ask questions here and as always, I'll be happy to answer c:

Ms. Norma Spencer seems alarming...I guess Brenda will now have more of a reason to fear for her baby...
Births are going to be kind of important eventually. So, even though Norma is a huge, sociopathic creep, she'd never do anything to hurt a baby. Brenda on the other hand...

• Love
Reactions: 1 person

Name: Lee Alan Hanes

Physical Extras: 6'2" tall, well built and weighing in at a solid 180 lbs. He has a piercing in his left ear, though he hasn't worn anything in it for some years now – it could be closed for all he knows. Lee has a well done tattoo of a triangular prism refracting white light into a rainbow on his right shoulder, though whether this has a thing to do with his former profession, or simply a rather obvious fondness for Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" album is anyone's guess.

Sexuality: Heterosexual

Three Good Traits:

1. A fantastic sense of humor, even at the very worst of times (though of course this could be just as much a flaw as a feature at certain moments, depending on a person's perspective… )
  2. Generous to a fault – Lee would quite literally give the shirt off his back if he thought anyone needed it more than he.
  3. A seriously amazing green thumb – Lee's garden always overflows, and though all else may fail in Cascade Falls through the winters? No one is ever without just enough of Lee's canned and pickled zucchinis to see them through.
Three Flaws:

1. A tenuous grip on reality/dissociation – no part of Lee truly wants to believe he is trapped in the nightmare that is Cascade Falls.
  2. A hair trigger temper, honed to a razor's edge by the loss of his past and the coercive nature of his present.
  3. Lee does not suffer fools in the least, and he can turn that good humor into a sharp and cutting blade of caustic sarcasm in an instant.

BEFORE
Place of Residence: Syracuse, NY
Marital Status: Single
Family:

Mother: Loretta Givens-Hanes
Father: Lawrence "Larry" Hanes
Sister (older): Lillian Hanes
Brother (younger): Levi Hanes

Occupation: Physicist (undergrad studies at Stanford, Master's/Ph D. at MIT)
Who was president when you came to Cascade Falls?: George W. Bush

NOW
Occupation: Owner/proprietor/sole waiter/baker/backroom worker of The Falls Coffee House
Family Children: None

How long have you lived in Cascade Falls?: Nine years
Have you ever tried to leave?: Yes
Have you ever been to the fence?: Yes

In-Character Writing Sample:

"Mmm… Yeah… " Lee rolled over to his side, grimacing as he tried to quickly tuck the phone to his ear and still stay well beneath the warmth of his comforter. His morning breath was rank, and a long, stuttering breath of a yawn told him all he needed to know about how vital it was he get his ass out of bed and into a shower. But central New York winters were a bear and his apartment was chilly, and the wood floors of his bedroom would feel like slabs of ice on his bare feet. Basically, Lee was just being a pussy about getting out of bed on his day off, and if his Mom wasn't on the phone this very second? Yeah, he'd have admitted as much.

"Merry Christmas Mom, love you… What? No! No, I'm up – why would you think that?" Lee grinned sheepishly even as he cringed, whipping back the comforter and gasping just under his breath at the shock of cold air on his bare skin. The floors were just as frigid as he knew they'd be, and he shivered as he planted his feet firmly on the ground. He kept promising himself he'd get area rugs for the bedroom, but between his work and just life in general, he just kept forgetting until moments just like this.

"Yes Mom, I'll be on time – you know it's always Lil and Company who's late. Diaper bags, breast pump, car seats and strollers and at least five changes of clothing for all those kids, drool bib for her husband… " Lee laughed softly as his mother gently but firmly chewed him a new asshole on the other side of the line while, dressed only in his boxers, he wandered into his bathroom. If anything the tile on his bare feet was even chillier than the wood floors, but at least he had the plushy bath mat to stand on while he peered at himself in the mirror. Bleary hazel eyes peered back, the golden brown dreads swaying just past the caramel-brown skin of his shoulders.

One hand still holding the phone to his ear, the other massaged the dark, coffee-colored stubble on his jaw lightly, some small part of his mind wondering if he could get away with not shaving today. No, it was Christmas and he'd just mocked his sister's worthless husband to his Mom. It didn't matter she felt the exact same way he did about that shiftless, penniless loser who had nothing to his name but a highly motile sperm count – she wasn't going to be pleased if her oldest son showed up looking anything less than his best, even if he wouldn't cut the dreads.

"The pies are all set too – mincemeat, apple and pecan, just for Dad. I'll be heading out in about ten minutes." More like thirty really since he had to shave, but promptness had never been Lee's strong suit. No one in his family really seemed to mind that though, so long as he brought the desserts. How in the world God saw fit to gift a single man with a genius for physics and an uncanny knack for making some of the most amazing baked goods any one of them had ever eaten? This would be a mystery for the ages. His little brother Levi always said he'd make someone a great wife someday – though the little shit always said it quickly, over his shoulder as he was moving toward someplace safe at a high rate of speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
And there we go - just decided to make him a coffee house owner because *shrugs* Why not? If you want to put him in the position of waiter/service worker in the list, that's just fine with me and, of course, if there are any problems with what I've written? I'll be waiting to hear back when you've got a moment!

OH! And yes obviously, my internet issue has been fixed! *happy dance of much happiness*

Name: Lee Alan Hanes

Physical Extras: 6'2" tall, well built and weighing in at a solid 180 lbs. He has a piercing in his left ear, though he hasn't worn anything in it for some years now – it could be closed for all he knows. Lee has a well done tattoo of a triangular prism refracting white light into a rainbow on his right shoulder, though whether this has a thing to do with his former profession, or simply a rather obvious fondness for Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" album is anyone's guess.

Sexuality: Heterosexual

Three Good Traits:

1. A fantastic sense of humor, even at the very worst of times (though of course this could be just as much a flaw as a feature at certain moments, depending on a person's perspective… )
  2. Generous to a fault – Lee would quite literally give the shirt off his back if he thought anyone needed it more than he.
  3. A seriously amazing green thumb – Lee's garden always overflows, and though all else may fail in Cascade Falls through the winters? No one is ever without just enough of Lee's canned and pickled zucchinis to see them through.
Three Flaws:

1. A tenuous grip on reality/dissociation – no part of Lee truly wants to believe he is trapped in the nightmare that is Cascade Falls.
  2. A hair trigger temper, honed to a razor's edge by the loss of his past and the coercive nature of his present.
  3. Lee does not suffer fools in the least, and he can turn that good humor into a sharp and cutting blade of caustic sarcasm in an instant.

BEFORE
Place of Residence: Syracuse, NY
Family:

Mother: Loretta Givens-Hanes
Father: Lawrence "Larry" Hanes
Sister (older): Lillian Hanes
Brother (younger): Levi Hanes

Occupation: Physicist (undergrad studies at Stanford, Master's/Ph D. at MIT)
Who was president when you came to Cascade Falls?: George W. Bush

NOW
Occupation: Owner/proprietor/sole waiter/baker/backroom worker of The Falls Coffee House
Family Children: None

How long have you lived in Cascade Falls?: Nine years
Have you ever tried to leave?: Yes
Have you ever been to the fence?: Yes

In-Character Writing Sample:

"Mmm… Yeah… " Lee rolled over to his side, grimacing as he tried to quickly tuck the phone to his ear and still stay well beneath the warmth of his comforter. His morning breath was rank, and a long, stuttering breath of a yawn told him all he needed to know about how vital it was he get his ass out of bed and into a shower. But central New York winters were a bear and his apartment was chilly, and the wood floors of his bedroom would feel like slabs of ice on his bare feet. Basically, Lee was just being a pussy about getting out of bed on his day off, and if his Mom wasn't on the phone this very second? Yeah, he'd have admitted as much.

"Merry Christmas Mom, love you… What? No! No, I'm up – why would you think that?" Lee grinned sheepishly even as he cringed, whipping back the comforter and gasping just under his breath at the shock of cold air on his bare skin. The floors were just as frigid as he knew they'd be, and he shivered as he planted his feet firmly on the ground. He kept promising himself he'd get area rugs for the bedroom, but between his work and just life in general, he just kept forgetting until moments just like this.

"Yes Mom, I'll be on time – you know it's always Lil and Company who's late. Diaper bags, breast pump, car seats and strollers and at least five changes of clothing for all those kids, drool bib for her husband… " Lee laughed softly as his mother gently but firmly chewed him a new asshole on the other side of the line while, dressed only in his boxers, he wandered into his bathroom. If anything the tile on his bare feet was even chillier than the wood floors, but at least he had the plushy bath mat to stand on while he peered at himself in the mirror. Bleary hazel eyes peered back, the golden brown dreads swaying just past the caramel-brown skin of his shoulders.

One hand still holding the phone to his ear, the other massaged the dark, coffee-colored stubble on his jaw lightly, some small part of his mind wondering if he could get away with not shaving today. No, it was Christmas and he'd just mocked his sister's worthless husband to his Mom. It didn't matter she felt the exact same way he did about that shiftless, penniless loser who had nothing to his name but a highly motile sperm count – she wasn't going to be pleased if her oldest son showed up looking anything less than his best, even if he wouldn't cut the dreads.

"The pies are all set too – mincemeat, apple and pecan, just for Dad. I'll be heading out in about ten minutes." More like thirty really since he had to shave, but promptness had never been Lee's strong suit. No one in his family really seemed to mind that though, so long as he brought the desserts. How in the world God saw fit to gift a single man with a genius for physics and an uncanny knack for making some of the most amazing baked goods any one of them had ever eaten? This would be a mystery for the ages. His little brother Levi always said he'd make someone a great wife someday – though the little shit always said it quickly, over his shoulder as he was moving toward someplace safe at a high rate of speed.
He's lovely c: Accepted!

I'm glad you gave him the coffee house! I was just going to throw it in as a random location but this works perfectly.

If you're still working on your CS (or a second character), make sure you finish it up by tonight/tomorrow morning. I know I don't have a lot of room to talk since my characters are super bare, but I'm aiming to have the IC up Thursday night and I can't accept you if your sheet isn't filled out.

@Alice Falling @of Dirt

Also, if you no longer wish to participate, just let me know and blank your CS before leaving us!

Thank you @neptune - and let the bromance begin, @Jerelin ;) hahaha

I don't intend at this time to make another character, unless it would be a brand new nooblet to Cascade Falls down the road a bit if it comes to that. So as far as second characters for me at least? No worries, IC away!

You're very welcome @Muirgen c: I'm happy to have you and I can't wait to see what happens with everyone IC.

I'm actually sort of surprised that more people didn't choose to have two characters. Then again, I didn't think this would get that much interest, so I expected doubling.

If it's any consolation, I'm still on the fence (heh) about adding a second character. I think I'll be flipping a coin to decide to decide tonight.

(Or just making a second one, regardless.)

Hm! Are we allowed to have residents that are high school students (towards the end, like junior/senior year) who weren't born in Cascade Falls? What are they told in regards to college? "Just ignore it and stay here"?

Hm! Are we allowed to have residents that are high school students (towards the end, like junior/senior year) who weren't born in Cascade Falls? What are they told in regards to college? "Just ignore it and stay here"?
Sure! Anyone aged 16-45 is on the table. And yeah, basically. Unfortunately, there's no opportunity for higher learning but in a place where everything is provided for you and the size of your house is based on either how big your family is, or how well you behave, there's really no need for college. Just don't leave. Ever. Stay in the town forever and suffer with a smile :D

• Love
Reactions: Muirgen
I'll see what inspiration comes to me tonight. If anything does, I'll probably go ahead and bump out a second character. If not, I'll wait further down the road. So, no need to wait "just in case". Push on ahead. ^_^

Wait.
Wait.
Wait.
Is this a form of communism? Or just a REALLY small economy? (EDIT: Just curious, since a presumably self-sustaining population of this size could probably function as a successful communism.)

... Also, I guess higher education is replaced with apprenticeships for the appropriate field, e.g., at the hospital to be a medical professional, and so on?

I'll see what inspiration comes to me tonight. If anything does, I'll probably go ahead and bump out a second character. If not, I'll wait further down the road. So, no need to wait "just in case". Push on ahead. ^_^
No pressure! If you can't think of anything then don't worry about it and if you want a second one down the road, that's fine too c:

Wait.
Wait.
Wait.
Is this a form of communism? Or just a REALLY small economy?

... Also, I guess higher education is replaced with apprenticeships for the appropriate field, e.g., at the hospital to be a medical professional, and so on?
Haha, it's got nothing to do with communism, I assure you. The money situation will be explained in the IC.

Haha, it's got nothing to do with communism, I assure you. The money situation will be explained in the IC.
A shame! It would have been interesting to basically simulate proper communism. Ah well!

A shame! It would have been interesting to basically simulate proper communism. Ah well!
What a thing! Communism, kidnapping and scary monsters.

But really, there isn't much of a political system in place and I don't plan to focus on it.

What a thing! Communism, kidnapping and scary monsters.

But really, there isn't much of a political system in place and I don't plan to focus on it.
Haha, sounds like a pitch for a tour brochure. But fair enough! Thanks c:

The town slogan should really be a sarcastic: Stay A While! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.