Card game anime RP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK so how about each side of the field has a set number of front row and back row spaces? Not sure how many would be good. Maybe 5 of each? Normally, you can only attack a creature in the front row, unless the attacking creature has an ability that lets it attack the back row, or an ability like impale or something that attacks both the front and the back row.

3x3, so have a midrow too?

That's my thought. 5x2 is too much like YGO and Vanguard and it helps prevent "Heavies in front, squishies in back", since the midrow needs considered too.

Reactions: GreenSea
So how would that be organised with attacks? Can only attack if there isn't a creature in the row infront? Or only in the slot infront on that column? SO if there's no thing infront of your backrow mage but there's 2 tanks in frontline on the other columns, you can still attack that mage? Or you have to finish off the tanks first? Perhaps that's something that can change by ability.

Thought. Assume a field laid out
XXX
XXX
XOX
-----
OXO
XXX
XXX

With the dividing line being where the two sides meet and X meaning there's a unit there. Where can Front Row, Bottom Player attack? His front row can attack the flanks of Top Player's Front, or the middle of Top Player's Mid. His Mid Flanks can only attack straight in front of them. In other words, if you are the frontmost unit, you can attack any "exposed" enemy unit (in fact, Exposed, capital E. Jargon now.) While the other Exposed units that aren't frontmost can only attack straight ahead. Of course, if Bottom Player, Back Middle was ranged, it could attack wherever it wanted.

Ah so if you're in Front Row you can attack the front of any column (or the back of any column if you're an archer) but if you're in second or third rows you can only attack in your column?

OK so changes to make to the etherpad. Tell me if I missed anything:

Not elements, Factions.
3 row battlefield + targetting mechanisms (IE Archers can attack the creature behind the one in the foremost row of that column)
- remove blocking function
If column infront of creature is empty, creature may attack opponent directly
each creature may move one space on the grid in a turn, either forward, backwards or sideways, not diagonal.
most creatures may be placed in any unoccupied space, though some may have conditions such as "can only be placed in row 1 or 2"

spells and abilities may target a set area or tile rather than a specific creature, such as "Deal 5 damage to each creature within a 2x2 area" or "Return the opponent's creature in (1,1) or (1,3) to the owner's hand"
Designation of space is done by coordinates, with 1,1 being row 1, column 1. (Row, Column)

Column 1
V
[X] [ ] [X] <- Row 1
[ ] [ ] [ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ]

^Player is looking this way^

In this case, the return to hand spell may target the creature in either of the spaces marked X.

Should we include the champion system I suggested earlier?

I'm not so sure about the Champion. Very EDH, and I'm not sure that fits with the Heart card. also, frontMOST row can attack. so
XXX
XXX
OOO
---
XXX
XXX
XXX

Top player's mid is his Frontmost, since his Front is unoccupied. Frontmost is the closest to the center with an Exposed unit.

Yeah that's what I meant by front. Should have made it clearer. What's EDH?

EDH, also called Commander, is a format of magic. The name is short for Elder Dragon Highlander. The Elder Dragon part refers to one legendary creature you have set aside in the Commander zone, which you can summon at any time for an escalating cost. (+2 Colorless mana per summon) As well, it defines what colors can be in your deck: Only the colors of your commander, and colorless mana. This is absolute: costs for effects, mana produced, and so on, all have to be of that color set. (For those who care, there's only five 4-color creatures in the game and while not technically Legendary, they can be put in as your commander). The Highlander part just means you can only have one of a given non-basic-land card in the deck.

Oh I see. Sounds like an interesting format. I might try it some time. An Eldrazi EDH could be awesome. No colours at all :D

But either way, we already have a faction focusing your deck, so I'm not sure we need a champion creature.

On the contrary, I figured a so called Champion representing the faction would make it better. I imagine factions would still have certain key cards, because it would be the most powerful card in the deck, I just wondered if there should be some acknowledgement of that.

I feel like a Champion would either have to be a specific type of card, which would go a bit against how I think this should go, or could be any card, at which point why bother at all?
Also at that point we're getting a bit too close to this game called Pixel Tactics, which I stole the 3x3 from but then tweaked for my own purposes.

If you're trying to be 100% original with a card game then you're fighting a losing battle. Even the most creative of new card games have a lot of mechanics etc copied from other games.

Well indeed. Like I just said, I stole the 3x3 from pixel tactics. But, I didn't say "pixel tactics does that", I said "getting a bit too close to pixel tactics".

I think from this point, we need to work on balancing the game - that is, making a generic deck for each faction and pitting them against each other, somehow. Not sure exactly how to do that though. Do you have Tabletop Simulator? I don't think that program mentioned earlier will work for it.

Well, I feel like so long as it's in the rules of the RP to have cards get tweaked for balance reasons, we're good. We're not looking to create a marketable game here, just one we can use for drama. Let me try to hash out a rules list for our game and get something posted in the next day or so.

Sounds good.

Status
Not open for further replies.