Status
Not open for further replies.

Tempest

Floofmami
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Welcome to The City of Gary. . .

Gary, a city in Lake County, Indiana, lies 25 miles from downtown Chicago, Illinois and borders Lake Michigan. Since the 1930s, Gary had developed a reputation as a tough city due to rampant political corruption, racial violence and segregation, labor unrest, and industrial pollution from prominent steel mills. Owing to white flight, economic distress, and a perception of skyrocketing crime, many middle-class and affluent residents moved to other cities in the nearby metro area…

This is what those ignorant of the reality of their city see. To those Enkindled humans, either gifted or cursed with the knowledge of the truth, the city rests as an axis of the supernatural world, hosting beings of myth and legend. A fine barrier is maintained with the extra-ordinary that shields the mundane world from the brunt of the affluential powers of the Enkindled world.

Those awakened souls possess in them the ability to navigate Gary's supernatural underworld… But to what end? Do you throw your lot in with one of Gary's factions? Do you boldly forge your own path? Do you wish to restore peace and prosperity? Or do you seek to watch it all burn?

The Details of the Roleplay
The story will start, simply, with events unfolding among the supernatural community that begins to draw the notice of the big players within the city. The main drive of the story will be to forge connections within the community, uncover secrets and details of what is going on, and ultimately come to be a player in the underworld community to put your own twist on the game at hand, for better or worse. You will start as a small power within the city with some capability and knowledge of the supernatural world. Players will have the capability to choose from a few "starter factions" within the roleplay that will be listed with the opening of the OOC.

No, you will not be limited to playing a mundane human.

Players will be encouraged to play a single primary character. There will be the option to create auxiliary characters who will fill in the world and play lesser roles after primary characters have been established and accepted. World-building will be handled primary by myself, however, there will be a form in place with the roleplay to add to the established world and contribute your own ideas.

Notice: All content and characters submitted to the roleplay are subject to use and change should you leave the roleplay. I am not saying that I will, but should your characters need to continue within the story, I reserve the right to utilize them in order to move it forward. Content may be altered in order to better fit the world and story as necessary, but I aim to keep the spirit of it alive and do justice to the creativity and efforts of the contributing player.

That said, I am looking for 5-8 players for this endeavor. Looking for players who can aim for posting around once a week and commit to posting at least 1 detailed paragraph. I encourage those who join be willing to read detailed, multi-paragraph posts.

If you think you would like to participate, please post your interest!

The typical human is oblivious to the existence of the second world that exists around them. While some may owe this to an uncanny knack for avoiding all things supernatural, others have the ingrained human ability for obliviousness. Those faced with the supernatural can stare it in the face and create logical explanations for the phenomenon that relates it into their understanding of the world. However, there are instances where your average human will become enlightened.

One way or another, when a human becomes aware of the supernatural world, they become one of The Enkindled. While many of these individuals might have stumbled upon it accidentally by reading one too many books about witchcraft and monsters, others are thrust into it through heritage or higher powers that be.

• Mages – Magic, at least for humans, runs in families. Some spellslingers are inherently gifted and come into their nascent capabilities at a young age and without any training. Others are unaware until they stumble upon their latent ability later in life through study and research. However, without fail, to become a true master of the arcane, one must study and practice in order to build control, focus and power. While mages typically come to develop an array of tricks and spells to work with, there are a few rules that appear to be universal amongst them…
    • Mages typically incant their spells with a language they do not commonly speak and exercise their will to empower the incantation.
    • Typically, mages only have so much energy to fuel their spells; expending too much energy can be hazardous to the individual's well-being. The depth of this energy can be influenced by health and emotion. High emotions are often useful for fueling magic, particularly those of correlating results and desires.
    • Items specially prepared as focuses for a particular spell reduce the need for extenuous incantations and energy in order to achieve the desired effect. These items are typically made of specific materials representative of desire and are prepared magically over a period of time. The more complex, the better the quality of the material and the longer the period of crafting, typically.
    • Mages, even as they broaden their skillset, most often find themselves excelling in one style of magic. Typically, those who are naturally inclined to magic along one vein find spells of an opposite nature more difficult. Ie) an evoker (harmful elemental caster) will typically struggle with healing magics.
  • The Magi Council – The Magi Council is an extensive network of (human) magicians that come from all over the world. They are the self-imposed moderators of the conduct of magic and its uses, declaring Seven Laws of Magic that all practitioners are held to regardless of their agreement. Breaking of these laws is met with punishment set forth by the council. Most any legitimate spellslinger will typically come to acknowledge the council, if not join its ranks.
The Codex Incantatio said:
It is thus, by judgment and decree of the First Elders that all men shall be beholden to these Seven Laws of Magic:
(I) Thou Shall Not Kill. So be it written that magical acts which are so resultant in the death of another human life are forbidden and punishable by Council law.
(II) Thou Shalt Not Transform Others. So be it written that magical acts which are so resultant in the unwilful alteration of another's body are forbidden and punishable by Council law.
(III) Thou Shalt Not Invade the Mind of Another. So be it written that magical acts which are so resultant in the violation of another's mind are forbidden and punishable by Council law.
(IV) Thou Shalt Not Enthrall Another. So be it written that magical acts which are so resultant in the binding of a human against its will are forbidden and punishable by Council law.
(V) Thou Shalt not Reach Beyond the Borders of Life. So be it written that magical acts which are so resultant in the pervasion of the order of life and death are forbidden and punishable by Council law.
(VI) Thou Shalt Not Swim Against the Currents of Time. So be it written that magical acts which are so resultant in the manipulation of time, the traveling of time, or divination of time are forbidden and punishable by Council law.
(VII) Thou Shalt Not Open the Outer Gates. So be it written that magical acts which are so resultant in the summoning or contacting of Outsiders are forbidden and punishable by Council law.
  • Mage Apostate – An apostate is a mage who has broken one of the laws of magic and are always on the run from the dogs of the council, The Watchmen. Almost without fail, these individuals are successfully hunted down and their sentence executed. Hiding from the Council is no easy task.
  • Wardens – Wardens are those individuals which have been bestowed with power from an individual of greater power. Notable sources have included divine beings and faerie queens. Individuals granted such boons are typically granted a more durable and capable physical form. Some individuals may come to possess powers, abilities and relics of their patron in order to better serve as their chosen champion
  • Gomorreans – The Coven of Gomorrah, otherwise known as the Alabaster Coven, are creatures that feed upon the life energies of other races. Fear, lust, anger, these strong passions are what gives life to these individuals and lends towards their preternatural strength. Gomorreans owe their otherworldly beauty, strength and speed to their predations upon mortals, sapping them of their passionate vitalities and leaving them weak and apathetic. Considered the weakest coven, they are also the most acceptable among the Enkindled as their acts of feeding rarely turn or kill their victims. Unlike Cainites, they are capable of traversing in daylight, though they are sensitive to light and weaker. Of the Gomorreans, mages are unlikely to arise in their midst. Those that do are amongst the most powerful and old of their kind.
  • Cainites – The Coven of Cain, also known as the Crimson Coven, are the typical creatures when the mind summons up the image of vampires. These individuals feed upon the blood of their victims. Those individuals who drawn upon directly for their blood, rather than through bleeding or other means, are at risk of becoming afflicted with the same curse, beginning their transition into a Cainite vampire as a Dhampir. While the true form of a Cainite is a monstrous, twisted creature of the night, they typically manage to assume their place in society, if somewhat partially with a skin-suit disguise. This does not protect from their intense pain in the wake of sunlight. Cainites are given to having great physical capabilities, but some are known to have a natural knack for magic.

Those aware of the innermost workings of the vampires here tales of a third faction, the Ebon Coven. Whether it is dismissed as a fairy tale among fairy tales, or accepted as a possible truth, if they exist, it is widely accepted that they must be few in number and far removed from the limelight to stay so shrouded in mystery.

Hey~hey^^!!

Boo thinks that she would like to participate, so Boo will please post interest!! :33~

But! Wait! Is this a Stats and Dice RP?

Reactions: Tempusst
Hey~hey^^!!

Boo thinks that she would like to participate, so Boo will please post interest!! :33~

But! Wait! Is this a Stats and Dice RP?
Nah. I'm not looking to use stats or dice. If I do anything, it'll probably be a talents and flaws spread, to just give peeps an idea of what you probably excel or fail at, physically, mentally, socially, etc... and it wont be anything to restrict you perse from doing or trying anything o.o its just to give an idea of what you might expect of them.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Boo Girlie BoomBoom
I was thinking you may want to do a quick one paragraph or but point summary of lycanthropes, demons, Devils, Angels and other entities.

You don't want to different players each creating something similar, like two different werewolves, and crashing your OOC on them arguing over details like, silver immunity, being Champions of Gaia, being demon spawn and other fictional details that vary from myth to myth.

• Thank You
Reactions: Tempest
I was thinking you may want to do a quick one paragraph or but point summary of lycanthropes, demons, Devils, Angels and other entities.

You don't want to different players each creating something similar, like two different werewolves, and crashing your OOC on them arguing over details like, silver immunity, being Champions of Gaia, being demon spawn and other fictional details that vary from myth to myth.
This was the gameplan! I was gonna save my official details for when I throw up the OOC o.o

Nah. I'm not looking to use stats or dice. If I do anything, it'll probably be a talents and flaws spread, to just give peeps an idea of what you probably excel or fail at, physically, mentally, socially, etc... and it wont be anything to restrict you perse from doing or trying anything o.o its just to give an idea of what you might expect of them.
Kaaaaaaaayyyy... still sounds suspiciously kinda stats~ish but I'm still kinda like still interested. But! Suspiciously interested!! ¤_¤!!

Soooo will wait for OoC then :]

Very into this! I'd love to join c:

• Love
Reactions: Tempest
I'll admit interest.

This sounds fun. Also I have lived in indiana for 6 years now and I have visited Gary now and again.

Currently interested!! (Lemme know if you'd like proof of me being 16+. As in, allowing my age to be at least briefly visible.)

So, this has definitely peaked my interest!

Quick question, will the FCs be realistic or cartoon like of the sort?

So, this has definitely peaked my interest!

Quick question, will the FCs be realistic or cartoon like of the sort?
My preference tends to lean more towards artistic realism while being avoidant of overly cartoonish or anime pieces! However, I in no way wish to shoehorn others with their characters. That said, when throwing up a character sheet, I often write an accompanying appearance blurb as a courteousy to other players whose suspension of disbelief does not gel with particular artstyles/non-text appearances, while also providing details that may not be obvious, present or contrasting to face claims provided! :D
Currently interested!! (Lemme know if you'd like proof of me being 16+. As in, allowing my age to be at least briefly visible.)
This is fine! My preference was to ideally keep players to a specific range of maturity and warn about content rather than be a hard-rule of age!

That said, with this much interest, I will be working towards getting an OOC up! For those who wish to start drafting up characters and also give me a sense of what everyone is looking to play so I can work it in if I had not thought of it... Here's a skeleton CS!

Rough CS
Name:
Race: (If you choose a non-standard fantasy race... please, please, give me an idea of what they are! I will personally be drawing from mythology, fairy tales and even some modern media for this!)
Occupation: (Even if it might not be a conventional job, I imagine everyone has something that their characters have as a dedicated hobby or responsibility to occupy their time.)
Appearance:
6 Facts: (Can be about their aptitudes, their flaws, interesting quirks, etc.)

Name: Damien Castellanos
Sex: Male
Race: Demon. His father is supposedly Satan, but Damien has never met him. He is supposed to have an older brother who is destined to be the successor of satan. Damien doesn't really want anything to do with the underworld. He much prefers life among mortals. He tries his best to keep to his human form, but if he loses control of his powers his demon side will awaken.

He was left in the human world as a child and was taken in by a religious woman who showed him love, which kept his powers at bay. It wasn't until he was 17 when he saw his mother killed by an intruder that his powers awakened. He destroyed the intruder and ended up burning his own house down. He was taken in by an older man by the name of Gabriel who explained what he was and how there was a whole community of supernatural beings hidden in the town of Gary, Indiana. From then on Damien has tried adjusting to his new life and is trying to figure out what he is actually supposed to do.

Occupation: Damien has had a series of odd jobs. He loves to play his guitar on the street corner. Recently though with the death of his human mother, who took care of him. he has taken up the idea of using his powers to fight petty criminals in secret when he can.
Appearance:
tom-holland-in-the-heart-of-the-sea-variety-interview.jpg

6 Facts:

He sometimes has a difficult time controlling his powers when he loses control of his emotions.

While he can step into churches, they make his skin tingle and burn slightly so long as he is in his human form.

He is kind of a perv.

His favorite food is cheap tacos.

He smokes marijuana.

He would gladly do anything for those he calls friend.

Last edited:
H
My preference tends to lean more towards artistic realism while being avoidant of overly cartoonish or anime pieces! However, I in no way wish to shoehorn others with their characters. That said, when throwing up a character sheet, I often write an accompanying appearance blurb as a courteousy to other players whose suspension of disbelief does not gel with particular artstyles/non-text appearances, while also providing details that may not be obvious, present or contrasting to face claims provided! :D

This is fine! My preference was to ideally keep players to a specific range of maturity and warn about content rather than be a hard-rule of age!

That said, with this much interest, I will be working towards getting an OOC up! For those who wish to start drafting up characters and also give me a sense of what everyone is looking to play so I can work it in if I had not thought of it... Here's a skeleton CS!

Rough CS
Name:
Race: (If you choose a non-standard fantasy race... please, please, give me an idea of what they are! I will personally be drawing from mythology, fairy tales and even some modern media for this!)
Occupation: (Even if it might not be a conventional job, I imagine everyone has something that their characters have as a dedicated hobby or responsibility to occupy their time.)
Appearance:
6 Facts: (Can be about their aptitudes, their flaws, interesting quirks, etc.)
Hey~hey!!

So like do you want charrie apps here or in the OoC?

Name: Karah Medici

Sex: Female
Race: Siren

Appearance:
b919213429bcc311b72b897878ecddc4.jpg

6 Facts:
  • She is great with numbers and enjoys her job greatly.
  • She looks very young for her age and always will – mostly due to her species.
  • She tends to hang out in a pack of sirens – they can often be seen together when out at night.
  • She's a tease. Karah and her pack like to tease guys and then leave them hanging. Oddly enough, this makes her pretty innocent when it comes to relationships.
  • She has the voice of an angel. This should be a given. Both her singing and talking voices are temptation in themselves. She's also capable of playing a few different musical instruments such as Guitar, Piano, and Violin.
  • Karah genuinely believes in doing good. When confronted with crime, which happens often in Gary, she tends to find herself trying to step in to save the day before she can think it through. This tends to get her into trouble.

~ ツ ~

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 person
ilya10blues.jpg
Name:

Bernadette Simone Tsoi
Sex:
Female
Race:
Witch (Best with weather & earth magic (which includes tea and some kitchen magic)
Bernadette is a gardener by day and an artisan chef by night.
Appearance:
Bernadette is 5'2" and weighs about 117lbs. Her wavy black hair ends at her lower back and the woman usually doesn't mess around with it, since it seems to have a mind of its own. She has this tattoo between/just above her shoulder blades, these on her wrists (air + water on right, fire + earth on left, no words), and this quote on her right side (at the ribs). The only piercings she has are her standard lobe and second lobe piercings, though she has considered a cartilage piercing for her left ear.
6 Facts:
+ Her mother is a swamp witch and (was) a stay-at-home mom, her father is a (retired) veterinarian that is also a witch/warlock/wizard that uses animal magick (Bernadette comes from a long line of witches...)

+ Bernadette is half Korean and half French... more specifically, creole. Her father is Korean and her mother is creole.

+ She speaks Korean, English, and both Louisiana Creole (variant of French) and "normal" French (spoken in France)

+ Bernadette is terrified of elevators, which comes from hating heights and small spaces.

+ The girl can't remember dates for her life.

+ Bernadette is a huge perfectionist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I guess I'll give this a shot. I'll have something up later tonight/tomorrow.

Very interested and finally remembered to post here. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.