Canada dun' 'gon 'makin' me proud n' shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's cool guys, by the time he can vote he'll know better.

Reactions: Sidhe
I'm 27 and this is the first federal election I've voted in where I didn't vote conservative. I even voted for Harper, twice.

Why the change of heart?

Because regardless of your political leanings, it is important to be able to objectively look at the record of the man in power and decide if he has your country's best interests in heart. Out of all the Prime Ministers I have seen over my life, and there have been a few, Harper is the only one who genuinely terrified me of what he would and could do if he remained in power. Anyone who muzzles scientists, destroys our environmental protection efforts, paves the way to undermine the Charter of Rights and Freedoms to spy on Canadian citizens, and leads the country in increasingly undemocratic ways while ruling with fear-based rhetoric that targets Muslims as scapegoats as Jews and other minorities have been in the past by other governments is not a man I trust to lead our country. This isn't even to mention how badly he's tarnished our reputation internationally.

I find it infuriating when people vote for the same party, no matter what, because that's what their family has always done, or what their region has always done. I'm pretty sure Hitler's undisguised clone could run for Prime Minister, and Alberta and Saskatchewan would without fail vote for him, so long as he was Conservative. There's nothing wrong with having political leanings; just make sure you're willing to compromise if the guy running your party of choice is what you want to see in power.

The Americans have a similar choice coming up between Trump and Carson. On one hand, you have a misogynistic asshole whose ex wife said he used to sleep with a copy of Hitler's speeches beside in his every night in an interview in the early 90s, and a man who is trying really hard to appeal to fundamentalist Christians by saying shit like evolution is the work of Satan and that the Great Pyramids were grain silos.

The US scares me because anyone who's in any way moderate or willing to work with the opposition party will never, ever get elected. It's a game of who can be the most polar opposite of the other party, not what's best for the country.

I'm 27 and this is the first federal election I've voted in where I didn't vote conservative. I even voted for Harper, twice.

Why the change of heart?

Because regardless of your political leanings, it is important to be able to objectively look at the record of the man in power and decide if he has your country's best interests in heart. Out of all the Prime Ministers I have seen over my life, and there have been a few, Harper is the only one who genuinely terrified me of what he would and could do if he remained in power. Anyone who muzzles scientists, destroys our environmental protection efforts, paves the way to undermine the Charter of Rights and Freedoms to spy on Canadian citizens, and leads the country in increasingly undemocratic ways while ruling with fear-based rhetoric that targets Muslims as scapegoats as Jews and other minorities have been in the past by other governments is not a man I trust to lead our country. This isn't even to mention how badly he's tarnished our reputation internationally.

I find it infuriating when people vote for the same party, no matter what, because that's what their family has always done, or what their region has always done. I'm pretty sure Hitler's undisguised clone could run for Prime Minister, and Alberta and Saskatchewan would without fail vote for him, so long as he was Conservative. There's nothing wrong with having political leanings; just make sure you're willing to compromise if the guy running your party of choice is what you want to see in power.

The Americans have a similar choice coming up between Trump and Carson. On one hand, you have a misogynistic asshole whose ex wife said he used to sleep with a copy of Hitler's speeches beside in his every night in an interview in the early 90s, and a man who is trying really hard to appeal to fundamentalist Christians by saying shit like evolution is the work of Satan and that the Great Pyramids were grain silos.

The US scares me because anyone who's in any way moderate or willing to work with the opposition party will never, ever get elected. It's a game of who can be the most polar opposite of the other party, not what's best for the country.
This is how my parents are, unfortunately. I try not to engage in political conversations with them, due to how frustrated we all get, but it didn't matter how much information of Harper's corruption came to light, they refused to see him as anything but a great politician who had their interests are heart. My mother straight up denied it. They are older (60+) are upper middle class, and my father is also quite socially conservative, so of course the conservative party is going to appeal to them, but the blind eye they turned just because they didn't want to vote for any other party was frustrating and a bit disturbing. They are loyal to the conservatives, no matter what. Messed up.

Also, I am Albertan. Stereotypes are true. Least of all Edmonton, I suppose, which is where I am, but lordy, lordy, they don't call this province the Texas of Canada for nothing.

1WFcWpD.jpg

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Diana
This is how my parents are, unfortunately. I try not to engage in political conversations with them, due to how frustrated we all get, but it didn't matter how much information of Harper's corruption came to light, they refused to see him as anything but a great politician who had their interests are heart. My mother straight up denied it. They are older (60+) are upper middle class, and my father is also quite socially conservative, so of course the conservative party is going to appeal to them, but the blind eye they turned just because they didn't want to vote for any other party was frustrating and a bit disturbing. They are loyal to the conservatives, no matter what. Messed up.​
Also, I am Albertan. Stereotypes are true. Least of all Edmonton, I suppose, which is where I am, but lordy, lordy, they don't call this province the Texas of Canada for nothing.
My parents and sister are the same way, pretty much. They're still in Ontario where I'm from (I am in Alberta now, I know what you mean there), but opening up any political conversation of any kind is an exercise in frustration because they refuse to really consider what I say. To them, Liberals will always be out for their money and make them broke, and the NDP doesn't want white people to have jobs. It's super fun trying to explain to them that the vast majority of Muslims are as normal as any of us and not a bunch of woman hating barbarians.

I value civil rights and liberties above all else, so when your family is pretty much in the "money> everything else" camp, makes it a better idea to stick to less argumentative topics.

The world would be a much nicer place if people were willing to set aside deep seated prejudice and actually have a respectful discussion with someone they don't see eye to eye with. It sure would be nice not to have to censor myself around my parents.

Reactions: Kagayours
This is how my parents are, unfortunately. I try not to engage in political conversations with them, due to how frustrated we all get, but it didn't matter how much information of Harper's corruption came to light, they refused to see him as anything but a great politician who had their interests are heart. My mother straight up denied it. They are older (60+) are upper middle class, and my father is also quite socially conservative, so of course the conservative party is going to appeal to them, but the blind eye they turned just because they didn't want to vote for any other party was frustrating and a bit disturbing. They are loyal to the conservatives, no matter what. Messed up.

This sounds all too familiar to me, except trade all the Canadia mumbo-jumbo with American.

YOU can be my sponsor host spousal ticket to Canadian citizenship!

This sounds all too familiar to me, except trade all the Canadia mumbo-jumbo with American.

YOU can be my sponsor host spousal ticket to Canadian citizenship!

I don't think you're ready for the citizenship exam, which involves things like chugging an entire bottle of maple syrup and stopping ten penalty shots from professional hockey players/ moose wranglers.

I don't think you're ready for the citizenship exam, which involves things like chugging an entire bottle of maple syrup and stopping ten penalty shots from professional hockey players/ moose wranglers.
Don't forget mastering the footwork of Canada's national dance, which involves sidestepping another person repeatedly while graciously alternating between 'sorry' and 'no, after you.'

• Useful
Reactions: Dervish
I DO ALL OF THESE THINGS!

Indeed. Deadmontonian here, can confirm, fucking nothing happens, and lots of folks hate the left wing.

Which makes the province being ruled by the NDP and the country being ruled by the Liberals all the more hilarious.
I DO ALL OF THESE THINGS!
You realize you could just as easily meal ticket your way over via gay marriage for double the points, yes?

You realize you could just as easily meal ticket your way over via gay marriage for double the points, yes?

... Indeed.

*waggles eyebrows*

Indeed. Deadmontonian here, can confirm, fucking nothing happens, and lots of folks hate the left wing.

Which makes the province being ruled by the NDP and the country being ruled by the Liberals all the more hilarious.

Really? I wonder if I can be married to a man and a woman at the same time.

Anyone want a wife? o.O

...Fuck it, yeah, moving to Canada. :|

...Fuck it, yeah, moving to Canada. :|
Just make sure to buy some Tim's at the border and start saying eh' and you'll be good. Oh, and pay your taxes obviously, that should go without saying.

• Love
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Status
Not open for further replies.