Can you Find it in your Heart? (Moogle&Tailc0at)

Status
Not open for further replies.
"It's fine. Help yourself to anything in my house." Jacob shrugged and finished up his apple relatively quicker than she, and placed it into the garbage which was hidden by a pantry door of sorts. "And really. Last night. I did what had to be done. You don't have to thank me." Jacob said with modesty in his voice, not really one to have his ego boosted with praise of his accolades.

"Still, isn't it socially required to express gratitude even if the recipient was obligated to perform the task?" Kia asked, more to herself than to anyone else. She shrugged and finished the last few bites of her apple, hopping off the counter to deposit the core into the trash, as Jacob had done. "The weather..." Kia started, looking uncertain. "Looks cold today. It might even rain." People seemed to like weather. That was a good place to start.

"I suppose." Jacob said with a look of indifference. He went over to the kitchen window and looked out and up at the sky. It did look like it was going to rain, there were dark clouds starting to form overhead. What time is it? He looked down at the clock on his stove and was surprised to notice that it was only 7:00AM. He felt like he'd slept later...but apparently not. His internal clock was messed up due to the lack of conjunction between the view of outside and his naturally messed-up sleeping schedule. "I like the rain. It soothes me." Jacob said in reply to her comment. "Do you want coffee? I was thinking about making a pot." He turned to Kia, awaiting her response.

"Oh! Um... No thank you." She replied, something on the television catching her attention. She made her way over into the living room and perched on the edge of a chair, her attention caught by a commercial for some sappy soap opera featuring a love affair between a human woman and an android who was very obviously just a man with a costume on.
"Oh Francesca, you make my circuits spark!" The man in the costume said passionately. The title name 'Digital Affair' appeared on the screen, followed by when and where you could find it running. Kia couldn't help but giggle.

"What's so funny over there?" Jacob said, having his attention divided between multiple things. He was multi-tasking making coffee, trying to take care of the needs of Kia if she had any, lost in thought trying to think of any plans he may be disregarding today, and deciding what he wanted to do for breakfast. His coffee maker was top-notch and made the coffee in little under a minute. It was strong, and dark...just the way that he liked his coffee. He poured it into a mug and made his way back over to the couch and sat down, changing the channel until it was on some early morning political talk-show.

"Just a silly man in a costume." Kia said with another giggle, settling back into the chair, her attention drifting to the window- a few stray drops of rain splattered against the glass. Her attention was drawn halfway back to the television as they turned to a new subject. Apparently a batch of domestic-use androids had been recently shown to be prone to some dangerous malfunctions. One man on the show brushed it off as a factory error, another said the company should be held responsible, and the third called for the removal of all androids from domestic life, siting them as dangerous in more ways than one. Kia frowned and returned her attention to the window.

"So what do you think about this whole android thing? What's your stance on it?" Jacob paused for a few seconds, finally speaking before Kia could have the chance. He felt it would be rude to ask someone's opinion without first giving his own. "I'm somewhat indifferent to the idea. I think they're great. Especially with some of these more life-like ones. I think it would be really neat to have androids intergrated into society. Not only as people who perform certain jobs, but as just everyday civilians who walk, talk, eat, and sleep just like us. You know?" Jacob took a sip out of his coffee and set it down onto the coffee table infront of him ontop of a coaster.

"Um, Yeah." Kia agreed quietly. She seemed somewhat uncomfortable with the subject, especially as the man on the television started into a rant about the evils of artificial life and the temptation of men playing gods with their destructive creations. The topic quickly turned to the growing research into Artificial Intelligence, and again the man had a lot to say on the subject. "Wh... what do you think about that? AI's, I mean..."

"I think AI's can potentially be great. If the AI is smart enough, it's no different from a human...ethically that is. Sure they have metal and circuits where we have flesh and bone...but other than that we're no different. Sure humans create them....but after that we shouldn't have much control over them. Unless they go on a killer rampage, then I think they should be put down like any other human would be. So I'd say my viewpoint would be one of equality. But also one of caution. There's as much chance for a person to be bad as there would be an AI, in my opinion." Jacob said, turning down the volume of the TV show. It seemed to him that it upset the girl almost.

Kia nodded slowly, his answer seeming to reassure her somewhat. Outside, the rain was coming down harder now. The sound of it pattering against the window pane caught the girl's interest again, and she went over to the window, the Television forgotten, to watch as the droplets of water splashed on everything outside.

Jacob got up and stood beside her, staring outside of the rather large body-sized window that doubled as a glass door. "You like rain too, huh?" Jacob smiled and his vision went unfocused, staring outside at the magnificence of the rain as it began to pour harder.

"There are lots of beautiful things that occur in nature." Kia replied quietly, her eyes turning up toward the grey sky above. "Rain is destructive and yet also renewing. It washes away the old and nourishes the new..." She continued to stare out blankly at the darkened skies.

"That's very poetic, Kia." Jacob said as a smile grew to his face. "Oh yeah. I had something I wanted to talk to you about." Jacob said, turning to her. "So I take it that you don't have a place of your own, and obviously that's none of my business, but if you want....you can stay in that guest room until you feel comfortable enough to move out." Jacob offered with sincerety.

Kia blinked and turned to look at the man. "Really...?" She murmured quietly, a small smile spreading across her face. "Is that... really okay?" the smile grew larger as she realized he was serious. "Oh, Thank you so much agent Jacob!" She threw her arms around the man, giggling happily as she gently squeezed the man.

"Yes, really. It's okay." Jacob laughed as he was hugged and quickly returned it, gently squeezing her as well. "And uh. If there's anything you need....all you need to do is ask. Alright?"

Kia nodded and smiled, finally pulling away from him. "Yes, I will! Thank you again!" After a moment a look of realization came to her face and she looked up at Jacob. "I feel like I should find some way to repay you... Um..." She looked around the room, as if trying to think of something. "Er... what can I do? Your house is already so clean and all..."

"You don't have to repay me, seriously. I'm just trying to rack up good karma for my next life, you know?" Jacob let out a chuckle and and shook his head, heading back over towards the couch and sitting down on it.

"Still, I would feel better if I could do something to help you as well..." She said after a moment, her attention returning to the rainfall. Certainly there were plenty of things she could do for him, but most of them would quickly reveal her as an AI. Maybe she could download a recipe from the internet and bake something for him. She smiled to herself at the though of baking.

"Well. Alright. If you have to do something, then don't make it anything huge, alright?" Jacob began switching through channels, nothing really catching his attention. Well. What are my options now? I could sleep? Ehhh..... I could go out and do something.....ehhhh. Hm. While it would be nice to get out of the house, I do need to relax. It's just that nothing is that appealing around here. My house is nearly spotless. Everything is organized. I don't know what I could do... He silently debated options inside of his head.

Status
Not open for further replies.