Can you Find it in your Heart? (Moogle&Tailc0at)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jacob nodded and pressed a button to start the car. In no time, they were off. Jacob was an amazing driver. He never drove too fast, nor did he cross over lines. Regardless of the car being unmarked from the outside, he still liked to keep on the good side of marked officers and set an example for the normal civilian drivers. Jacob felt a bit awkward being isolated in the car with a girl he'd just met. What kind of small talk could he do? "So what exactly did those men want from you?" Jacob asked with genuine curiosity in his voice. Sure she's pretty. Young too. Probably trying to rape her or something. I don't want to make assumptions, though.

"I dunno..." Kia said with a shrug as she watched the city go by through the window. "I was just sitting on the sidewalk, looking at these ... really pretty apples, and then the man with the red shirt said he would buy them for me if I came to his office with him." She paused to sigh. "I said no and then the two other men tried to grab me, so I ran off." She took note of the smell that permeated the man's coat- gunpowder and... cleaning solution? Maybe not. "Statistically speaking, I would say it's unlikely that their intentions were positive."

"I would have to agree with you on that one. It's not safe to be on that side of town this close to nightfall. A lot of bad people, such as them, come out. I'd steer clear from there unless there were other people around." Jacob said not trying to be too preachy, but rather trying to be helpful. Jacob took a turn to an area that had a broken down schoolhouse. Jacob didn't feel like questioning her, he figured he'd done enough of that already and didn't want to be too invasive. "Here we are." Jacob reached into the glovebox and pulled out a business card and handed it to the girl. "Give me a call or something if you ever need help. Don't worry about bothering me, I rarely have anything going on anyway. But yeah. Stay safe."

Senior Agent Jacob Crosby
Bureau of Public Safety
Unmarked Street Enforcement Division
Personal: 653-222-9878
Work: 800-435-9775

"Oh... Thank you!" She took the card with a smile, pushing the car door open and stepping out. She was about to close the door, then remembered the man's coat draped over her small frame. "Oh! Right!" She pulled it off and laid it gingerly on the now empty passenger seat. "Thank you again for your help." She smiled at him before shutting the car door and turning to hurry off toward the abandoned school house.

"Yeah. No problem." Jacob took his coat and placed it back onto himself and then drove off towards the Bureau HQ. It was a good half-hour drive from where he had to drop the girl off, but a little traffic never hurt anyone. Once he got into the building, he was immediately called up to the Board of Ballistics Review and Assessment. Generally, these hearings were very short and Jacob could generally get back to business. "Alright. Mr. Crosby. So you had to fire a lethal shot today, correct?" Jacob nodded and glanced from face to face, awaiting further questioning. "Well why don't you tell us about it?"

Jacob leaned back into his seat and began to go over the details. "Well. I was pursuing a man who had just attempted an armed robbery of a store clerk. I got a silent distress call directly to my ear radio and decided to check it out. The male brandished an unidentifable 9mm handgun and after pursuing him for roughly three minutes, decided to open fire on me. I loaded a cartridge into my plasma pistol, switched it to execute mode, and then took the male out per Bureau standards. There was a CCTV camera with direct line of sight on that street, and I believe that any further important evidence can be found on said TV." The board took in what he was saying and then whispered among themselves. All-in-all, it was about five people who decided his fate. "Well. I'd say that this is a good shooting. If we have any further questions, you'll be called in at a later date. For now, you're free to return to duty."

Jacob left the office and went back down to the criminal processing room where the three males had been put into a holding cell. He interviewed them all seperately and got information from each of them and took what he learned back to his office and began filling out arrest reports. Even though the incident had been over three hours ago, his mind was still on the peculiar girl that he'd met.

More time passed, the sun went down, the man in holding made a call, and someone posted his bail. That information wouldn't be transferred to Jacob's desk for awhile though- enough time for the man in the red shirt to make a few calls and take a short drive with a few men who might as well have been identical to the two still lift in holding.

Kia sat in the corner of a small, empty classroom. Her stomach had started to rumble some time ago, but her mind was occupied with the story book in her lap, an old remnant of the long-gone occupants of the building. She looked up alarmed when she heard something roll across the floor toward her. Her eyes widened when it came into the light- a very red, very shiny apple.
"That wasn't a very nice thing you did earlier today, you little bitch." A cruel voice called from a grinning shadow in the doorway. Kia bolted from the room then, sprinting out the side door and up a flight of stairs. She could hear the men following after her. She kept running up and up until she found herself without anywhere else to go- the rooftop. She looked over the edge- she could jump, but that would probably end badly. Then she remembered the card in her pocket.

She put her hand to her ear, and using the cellular device built into her android body, dialed the number on the card.
"Please... Agent Jacob... please pick up...!" She whispered to herself as the phone rang. The men didn't seen to have figured out her location yet, thankfully...

Once Jacob felt his cellphone vibrate, he pulled it out and recognized it as an unknown number. Luckily he'd just finished up the paperwork and was heading out to his cruiser already. "Agent Jacob Crosby, who am I speaking with?" He said in a formal answering tone, speeding up to the parking garage and getting into his car. He felt that, for some reason, that something was going down. He started the car and pulled out of the underground parking garage, waiting for further information to be sent to him.

"Agent Jacob!" Kia cried in relief, "I... I need help! Th-The men... The ones from earlier... Th-They're here! They're trying. to.. I don't know! But I need help! I-I..."

The men stood in the doorway to the roof, looking on in confusion at the girl apparently talking to herself. "Who the hell is she talking to...?" The red-shirted man asked no one in particular. "Oh well, a mad dog is still a dog to be put down, am I right?" He laughed and took aim, firing at the girl. The shot missed by an embarrassing amount, but Kia still screamed in surprise at the sound of the noise, the distraction inadvertently causing her to hang up on Jacob. Before she could regain her composure, the man in red was upon her, his large hand on her throat, pushing her toward the edge of the roof.

He held her there on the edge, her heels less than an inch away from standing on nothing. "You know, they'll never find your body." The man said with a grin. "Not that anyone would go looking for a tramp like you, but still..."
"N-No..." She whispered, clutching his arm desperately. The man laughed.
"You had a chance, little girl, and look how you wasted it."

Jacob shouted before she was able to hang up. "I'm coming!" And pushed his foot down impossibly hard until the car accelerated into max speed. The sound of the sirens, the brightness of the lights, and the speed of the cruiser caused vehicles to swerve to the sides and allowed Jacob to pass through. He made it to the school house in less than two and a half minutes. From above, he heard screaming and talking and what appeared to be a human figure. It's her. He decided. He left the car running as he ran away from it and went up the building. He ran up the stairs as fast as he could, not even worrying about a stealthy approach.

Once he was on the roof, he saw three men, one of which he'd already come into contact with. Before they could notice him, he tackled one of the men who was pushing Kia towards the edge and then withdrew his plasma pistol. He quickly turned it on and pointed it to the head of the man who he'd just tackled and pulled the trigger on it, causing him to explode into green goo. Jacob quickly got up and elbowed one of the men in the face, causing him to fall to the ground. He quickly put a stunner round into the male, causing his body to convulse violently. Jacob then fired another round into the last male remaining, and caught his breath as the two of them were tortured by the shock of the pistol. When the shock had finally ended, both men passed out from the pain and the constant voltage passing through their muscles.

Jacob got the two of them into zip-ties, having them tied at the hands and feet. Jacob looked up at Kia and wiped the goo from off of his body. It didn't manage to splatter much, only onto him since he was laying ontop of the man. But it wouldn't be much of a big deal to clean off. "Are you alright, Kia?" Jacob said with a sudden look of concern and sympathy. The look that was familiar to her, and not the one that his enemies saw.

Kia sat against the railing that ran along one edge of the roof, her knees drawn to her chest and her body trembling softly as she stared at the puddle of green goo that stained the rooftop, stunned into silence. Finally her eyes drifted upward to Jacob, though she still didn't seem to be able to find any words to say. After a moment she gave up and shut her mouth, instead looking over the edge of the tall building.

"Are you cold again?" Jacob took off his coat and wrapped it around her shoulders again. He set down next to her and tried his best to calm her down. He knew that the men infront of him wouldn't wake up for a long time, so he would have a good bit of time before he had to do anything. "Hey. If you want, you can decide their fate. Do you want them to go to jail, or should we give them another chance?" Jacob looked over at Kia, holstering his plasma pistol.

Kia remained silent for a moment longer, hugging the coat tightly around her. "I shouldn't be deciding the fate of humans..." She murmured quietly. She looked over at the two unconscious men and sighed. She felt very tired now- she had used up almost all of her remaining energy trying to escape these men. "I just... want to be safe..." She whispered, resting her head on her knees now.

Deciding the fate of humans? She must be in shock or something. "Well in that case. I think it's better for your safety that they no longer exist. So please look away if you don't want to see this." Jacob stood up and shot the two unconsicous men. Shooting restrained criminals wasn't exactly against policy, but it wasn't recommended. Only in extreme cases where it would have been absolutely necessary...such as this. "Look. You're probably not going to be safe staying at a shutdown school. They're going to keep coming after you until they get their way or tie up loose ends. I think you should stay at my house for the night, I have an empty room, and in the morning we can talk about future arrangements. It won't be a bother to me, so don't bring that up. You and I want the same thing. Your safety." Jacob said as he sat back down beside the girl, wrapping his arms around her in a warm embrace.

the girl grunted softly in acknowledgement, though it seemed she was already half asleep. She rested her head against his shoulder, her half lidded eyes staring at the puddles of slime that stretched out before them. Finally she closed her eyes completely, going into a standby setting that humans might call sleep.

Poor thing must be exhausted. She's been attacked twice today. He glanced around at the puddles of goo and let out a deep sigh. I didn't call this in....so I won't have to make another appeal. Technically I'm not even on-duty right now. The goo will evaporate. Jacob thought as he grabbed Kia carefully from underneath her legs and shoulders and slowly carried her down the stairs and out of the schoolhouse. He placed her into the back of her cruiser, making it a bit more accessible and comfortable. She was laid across the backseat and buckled with the centermost seatbelt so she wouldn't roll around in the back, but could still easily move if she were to wake up. She's probably going to be out for a while.... Jacob went to the drivers seat and drove off towards his house which would be at least a half-hour drive.

Kia didn't wake up as the car made it's way through the city. In fact, she didn't even wake up when Jacob finally pulled into the driveway of his home. Her computer-created mind was busy reorganizing data, replaying the events of the day, and reordering them to create a web of nearly infinite alternate outcomes. Though her consciousness remained dormant for the remainder of the night, her programming made her know that she would be able to do so much more if only she were not confined to this body. She might think about it briefly when she woke up, but until then she would remain asleep until morning.

Jacob was thoroughly surprised that Kia hadn't even woken up once. He parked his unmarked cruiser at his house, went ahead and unlocked it and opened the door, and finally went to the back seat, picking her up in the same way he had earlier and then made his way into his house. He went to the spare bedroom, which was downstairs, and laid her down onto a made bed. He left her coat on her, and pulled a few blankets over her. Once he was sure that she would be perfectly comfortable, he decided that he'd write out a note, figuring that she would be confused once she woke up.

Hey, Kia. This is Jacob writing to you. Anyway. You passed out ontop of the school house and drove you back to my place. I'll be in the next room, all you have to do is shout for me and I'll be there. Don't be afraid to wake me up if you need me.

It was fairly early morning. More precisely 2:00AM. Jacob worked the latter half of the day shift and the former half of the night shift. His hours were weird, but that's when he preferred to be out in the streets. Luckily, he had the next two days off. Jacob went to the couch of the living room and passed out on the couch while he was watching some news story that covered his shooting of the store robber he pursued earlier. It had full on aerial footage and everything. Guess I'm going to be famous now. Jacob let out a small chuckle as he fell into a light state of sleep.

Kia stretched and yawned into consciousness as sunlight started to leak in through the window. She sat up and looked around in confusion, read Jacob's note, and then decided it was probably time to take care of the rumbling in her stomach. As she crept from the bedroom she took note of Jacob, still asleep on the couch, and found her way as quietly as possible to the kitchen, where she was delighted to find a number of red apples sitting next to the sink. Hoping that her new friend wouldn't mind, she took one and sat up on the kitchen counter, biting into the fruit hungrily. She sat swinging her legs happily and taking in the orderly appearance of the room as the sound of the morning news wafted in from the TV, promising a report of weather, traffic, and new technology after a word from their sponsors. Kia wondered why people were so obsessed with the weather.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jacob woke up not long after Kia had gotten into the kitchen. He tended to be a very light sleeper, and this time was no exception. As soon as he woke up, he saw Kia happily eating an apple and smiled at her. "I see you found the food." Jacob said as he got up from the couch and stretched out; a small yawn escaped his mouth. Jacob went over to the kitchen and grabbed an apple for himself. He ran a bit of cold water over it, pulled the stem off of it, and began to eat it. It was a pretty sour, juicy, and crisp apple- just the way he liked them.

Kia watched Jacob perform his routine quietly, taking another bite of her own fruit. "Thank you for helping me, Agent Jacob. I'm very grateful for what you did last night." She said after she had chewed and swallowed. She smiled as she spoke, seeming to study the man's face carefully. "I hope you don't mind that I helped myself." She added a moment later before taking another bite of the apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.