Caissa's Gambit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chesshire's heart dropped in his chest. "Wha?" He whines a bit, and scrunches his nose and mock-glares at her after. Silly Chess, she said she loved pizza.

He seemed a bit distracted, or maybe just relaxed enough to not notice the touch.

The woman only laughed at his glares before taking a drink of her water. "Sooooo Mr. Liddell...what do you do in your free time?" Vanessa stirred her ice and water with the straw as she watched Chess. "Any particular hobbies? Or things you enjoy doing?"

"I make things, play games, try an' fix up my eye and arm. Ooh, and television. A lot of that. Nothin' but old disney movies for two days straight." He smiles a tad sheepishly. "You?"

Vanessa shrugged a bit before speaking. "I don't do much outside of work." She looked down at her water before taking a drink of it. "I spend some time at my boyfriend's house occasionally, but he's always so busy and I'm always so busy." She shrugged once more. "I take care of my mom a lot. She's sick and all." Her voice had taken on a very somber sound before she looked up with a smile. "Of course...she's getting better!" There still seemed to be a hint of....something...behind the gleam in her eyes. "And that's it. I don't really have much time to do anything I want to."

He just cocks his head a little and frowns. The thought of family, of a mom, seemed to spur something in him again and he scrunches his face. "That doesn't sound fun for either of you..if you don't mind me asking, what happened to her?"

((he was close to his mom to the point he still kind of remembers her and if she pushes him about her it might cause a wee snap depending on how ness goes about it, if you wan ;DD)

Ness wasn't looking at Chess, so she didn't see the face he had made. "When my father died..she seemed to just give up. She got double pneumonia really bad and she just hasn't fully recovered." Vanessa began to play with her hair again, looking at her lap, her arms close to her body. "She's bed bound...and can't walk for very long periods of time. So if we go anywhere she has to be in a wheelchair." With that, Vanessa looked up at Chess, still smiling. "What about you? Are you close with your parents?"

"Oh hell...thats awful. I might be able to be of help with treatment, actually. It might be a little risky, but go to Patrick Kiernan when you're free. He's usually got a lot of resources, and he's not a sick fuck like some of the other doctors at the facility.. He's a prick, but he does good work." Dr. Kiernan was the same man that convinced the others to not abandon Chess when he was simply Doe. He wouldn't say that part, though. Too much to think about.

"I don't know." Chess' voice tightens and knots in on itself when he tries to remember. "I think I was close to mum. She was a...a mathematician, I think. Yeah. Not sure, but. Uhm. I think..did I have a brother?.." He looks down, stare practically boring holes in the table as he trails off, mumbling a little. "It, uhm..it doesn't matter. I don't know why but I don't think any of them are still alive.." Chess isn't so much grieving as he is troubled by his own memory, or moreso lack of one.

(he has a brother and a living family member somewhere, and i think im gonna name the violent personality Doe. btw Doe basically pulled an Alessa/sharon and even though Doe and Chess are two parts of the same person, Doe will talk about Chess like another presence ;D might actually be pulling a lucy/nyu/kaede then actually, since neither chess nor doe are the original personalities idk... sorry hahaha doing lil ramblins and typing them out helps me figure my characters out >w<)

Vanessa listened and made a mental note of the man's name. She would talk to her mother later. Ness nodded her head and pouted a little, without realizing it, when Chess' throat tightened. He seemed to be getting really emotional. "A mathematician? That explains why you're so smart." Vanessa couldn't help but smile, until Chess said something about thinking his mother and brother were dead. "Why do you say that? Have you ever tried to find them?" She tapped her bottom lip with her right forefinger. "I'm sure there's something on them in the record room."

((I do the same thing, only I talk aloud lol))

"They don't exist." His fists are clenching hard enough that nails cut into his palm, but he's too distracted to notice as the pangs come back. There's something about her question that just burns, obviously he'd tried. He'd fought block after block from the higher ups, constantly working at it for over a year, only to learn that they'd been destroyed the moment he'd been brought in.

"Legally, I don't exist. There are no records of me on any employment rosters, no emergency contacts, no next of kin. Nothing."

That urge is screaming at him and he has to force his gaze at the window again, silently, methodically counting snowflakes to muffle his thoughts. Any more it he'll break, and a part of him knows it. There are stuttered memories, flickers of heat and a great, deafening boom, a lump of burned flesh, stabbing pains. His scars throb with the chaotic memory, but there's something stopping him from piecing it together.

Vanessa frowned at Chess' words. "There has to be SOMETHING. Even if its not public accessible." She shook her head. Even the corporation would have something on him...just in case things...went ary. "I'm sure I could find it for you..even if its just to see that you're right." Vanessa hoped that knowing a part of his past might help Chess with his black outs.

Chesshire's hands fly up to his temples and he makes a gasping, keening noise. He feels like he's been shot, or shocked, and he's utterly still for a good minute or so. When he looks back up he stares straight into the poor girl, and there's something very cold and clear about him now. His eyes are narrowed and the natural pupil is so constricted it's barely a pinprick, and he must've bumped his eye when he clutched his head because it's now a bright red. If one looked closely, they'd see circuits and wires moving, honing. This wasn't Chess at this point, and whoever it was now was picking Ness apart, reading every temperature, signal, and wave he could get.

"I believe he told you his boundaries, you tactless girl." He's almost hushed, and the calm in his voice is much like the careful silence of a lion about to strike. "Did you really think you were working for some company, with all the paperwork they had you sign? Did you even read it? You've signed your self over to something much bigger than you could possibly comprehend. This doesn't stop at cars and planes and big, shiny guns, oh no. They have their filthy fingers in the pockets of every politician who's even thought of war. Do you really, honestly think they'd have the grace to give the perfect test subject even the slightest sense of his own identity?"

He's slowly, easily, crushing a fork in his right hand, bending it around his fingers like clay. It takes no effort to do so, and he wants to make sure she knows exactly what he could be capable of.

Vanessa had reached forward as Chess stopped moving, clutching his head. "Che-" she fell silent and abruptly moved away from him, her hands clutching each other in her lap. Nessa's eyes began to widen as that man spoke, his voice deepening, all the while bending a fork. "I..I.." Vanessa gulped audibly before looking up at the man's face, fear was evident and a majority, but there was still a sense of fascination, concern, and confusion.

Against her own better judgment, Vanessa leaned forward, placing her fingers on the table. "Chess?" Nessa's own voice was hushed and she looked to make sure no one was paying attention or alarmed by his behavior. "You're scaring me.." She bit her bottom lip gently.

"Chess? No. He doesn't know I exist and he's not going to until he's safe. He watched his family get blown to bits, and they wanted little-orphan-Doe to be their little tin soldier. I've killed to keep him safe." He's quietly snarling. "Don't think I won't do it again."

'Doe' droops a bit and seems to fade back, and the young man is blinking and crinkling his nose much like he'd just woken up. "Oh...oh dear...I blacked out again.." Chess, back in control, is muted, rather tired. He's scared that Ness will leave, and yet he's resigned himself to it. It happened so many times before, and he feels stupid for allowing himself a chance at friendship with someone so normal.

Vanessa stopped talking and almost shrank down in her seat. That's what she did when she was frightened. However, she never took her eyes off...Doe. Doe? Did Chess have a multiple personality disorder he wasn't aware of? Vanessa would ask him someday...but today was not that day. "Its.." The girl clears her throat, trying to compose herself, her eyes looking at the fork for a brief moment. "Its ok..." A nervous laugh escaping from her lips. "You look...really tired..do you want to leave?" She watches as the waiter approaches with their pizza. "We can get a to-go box." Nessa shrugged her shoulder a bit. "I can drive if you'd like." She managed a smile, but it wasn't near as radiant as the previous ones, but Vanessa was trying her very hardest to stay composed.

Chess takes a long sip of his tea. "A-actually, yeah. Did I, uhm, did I do anything?" His voice is shaking and weak, and the fact that she's staying there, afraid for him instead of afraid of him, seems to spark curiosity. He won't lose this, when he's so close to having a friend.

Vanessa cleared her throat before shaking her head and smiling kindly...almost nervously. "No, Chess..." Her words were soft. "Can we get a to-go box please?" Ness said to the waiter as she drank the last of her water, stood, and grabbed her coat. She placed a 50 on the table and waited for Chess to do the same. Once the waiter came back, Vanessa loaded the box and spoke to the waiter. "You can keep the change." She winked in his direction, causing a blush, before reaching for Chess' left arm and heading towards the door.

"Oh. Uhm. I can, ah, get the cost." Chess had a pretty hefty amount of funds from his work, on top of a little allowance to keep him from getting bored or switching sides, so to speak, and left the money on the table. He bumbles after her and is too tired to really struggle away again. "Don't you, uh, have an. Uhm. boyfriend?...You winked at him.."

(chess knows jack-squat about flirting. a part of me wants to ship him with Kiernan and have a conflict with personalities , bc i could totally see him and ness having a little brother/big sister thing going. that, or romance, but he'd respect her relationship with her boyfriend before addressing any crushes if/when he does get one)

((She's got a boyfriend, but I have plans for that later on. I do like the personality conflict! Maybe one personality falls for someone and the other for somebody else? Just an idea XD don't mind me lol))

"I do, Chess..." Ness giggled to herself as they left the building. "But it doesn't hurt to be nice and boost other people's confidence in themselves." She let go and headed for the driver's seat. "And if I don't do it..how do I know someone else will?" Vanessa waited for Chess to toss her the keys so they could get in.

He hands the key to her gingerly, and stumbles a bit on the way in. "People are very odd." Chess says with a bit of a shiver.

Vanessa only laughed at Chess as she got in and started the car. "Sir...I feel like YOU'RE the odd one here." Shaking her head, still chuckling a bit, Ness put her seat belt on and backed out of the parking space. "If you want to sleep on the way back, its fine. I'm really good at remembering how to get places once I've been there." Her eyes were moving from the windshield to the rearview mirror, side mirrors, and back. "I can let you know when we get there, if you'd like."

Status
Not open for further replies.