Cadets

Arksas took a seat. At first he was wondering what was going on. Until the hands reached his neck. He felt like he was join to melt away. He had never truly experienced a massage Before. He felt relaxed. The massage was probably the best thing he had ever felt. He was in ecstasy. Why had he never gotten one of these before? They were amazing.

He heard her speak. "We're free..., but are we safe? What are we going to do with ourselves now?" He shrugged. "No one in this world are safe. Except for the people who have created the danger and took every precaution against it. We are free so what we do with ourselves now is completely up to us. AS for me. When I find A nice place. I am going to settle down. Find a good girl to marry. Have kids and then get a job... Yeah that is the life. Nice and peaceful...." He was lost in thought. "What about you Gia? what do you want to do now that you are free?" He looked back at her. Such a nice massage....

Gia's hands slowed down a little when Arksas spoke. It is good he had an idea for his future, she thought. In the back of her mind, she wondered if there was any kind of future she cared to have out there.

"Uh, oh... I've never considered anything but the military. I think that's because my father never allowed me to have second thoughts about it, or to consider any other life apart from it."

Lost in her thoughts, she stopped massaging Arksas's neck as sat back down beside him, now having more movement in her legs and even seeing her skin returning to its normal state. That's when she'd realized what would keep her apart from having a real, normal life. "I don't believe I'll have a chance at anything remotely normal in my life anyways...so, I might as well just forget the idea of a white picket fence and all."

Stepping through the cockpit door, Greg walked in and froze for a second, "Oh, hey Gia. Good to see you up. How ya feeling?"

"Better, thanks."

He pointed towards the front of the plane, "You got this then? I'm needing a little break and to check up on Sandra."

"Sure." She automatically connected to the plane and the navigation, flying the plane like an automatic co-pilot. Greg stepped to the back to search for Sandra.

"just because you are different does not make you unable to be normal. if you want to be in the military, then that is your normal life...." He sighed. He pouted a little as well, He really did like those massages. "Gia. You are amazing.... I don't even know how to express it. You are a living wonder. Amazing down to every little detail. Yet you find yourself unable to have a normal life because you are different. I want to settle down. But where would I go? I would basically be tracked down through virtually anything I use." He put an arm on her shoulder. "Your life is still lively. It's like you goals are not yet done. I am now just an ex experiment. And... I have done the worst thing. And It could top anything you have ever done. That I can promise you." He said with a smile.

When Arksas tried to pep her up, a typical task he's probably use to by now, Gia only sighed at the thought. "Yea...I'm a living wonder who probably can't have..." she stopped, not wishing to bring up old wounds and nightmares. When he draped his arm over her shoulders, she blushed brightly, but ignored other emotions to avoid them getting in the way.

Arksas continued to talk, expressing another thought on his mind that had her giving him one of her confused smirks, "What in the world are you talking about? I've never known you to do anything bad, or make a mistake, intentionally or otherwise; unless you were being influenced by that crazy Doctor Bombay..."

He smiled weakly. He knew what he did. He was actually aware that he had done it. And felt horrible about it. "If I told you what I did yo might never look at me the same. I doubt you would even believe me." He continued. "We're free. But I will soon have to live with the blood of thousands on my shoulders. And my shoulders alone...." He looked down Even if Bombay made him do it he still had done it. And that was something he could not forgive himself for. He looked back up at her. In that moment he looked weak. Fragile. Like a thin sheet of glass. So delicate someones breath could shatter it. He had never let himself look weak in front of others. But right now. He was weak. He couldn't hide it behind his physical strength. He was still weak.

Gia turned around to face him, now far more worried about what he was saying than before. Arksas was not himself, that was obvious with the overly giddy smile he's been displaying so far. But this... For all her years of knowing him, through the tough times and the good, she's never seen him look so helpless.

She patted him on the leg, "Arksas, what are you talking about? Is this why you've been acting so strange?" She brushed her bangs out of her eyes to be able to get a good look at him, to really read him. Something in her mind clicked. "Did Bombay do something to you?" The Scientist was able to manipulate her without her knowing, planted some crazy egotistical thoughts into Lacy's head; would she had done something to Arksas? Was it even possible?

"Gia.... I started the next world war. months maybe years of violence, all started in only a few moments..." He looked p at her. He was pouring himself out to her. But why? He kept racking his brain and could not find the answer. He sighed. "I would not be surprised if I was wanted dead. I mean starting a war that no one wanted. That is a pretty horrible crime..... I will never be able to live in piece Gia. This is the reason why. I don't now what to do.... I can't take it back. Everything is wrong..... I don't know how to fix it either...... there is now way I can pick up the pieces of what I just shattered..." He looked up to her. He was shedding a few tears. and he knew it.

Her mind automatically pulled out the random pictures of faces from hours past from her photographic memory. She recalled before their simulation the faces of high-class men dressed in suits with facial constructions from various nations...and Dr. Bombay - she was chipper during the simulation, until things went sour with Lacy. Gia don't think she'll ever forget that moment, the look on Arksas's face - when Bombay suddenly attacked her and Sandra...

"Bombay's behind this, isn't she? And it has something to do with all those men that were watching the simulation this morning?" Arksas was losing his grip. Gia grabbed his shoulders to give him some stability. She couldn't stand to see him like that. He's always been the strength and stability in their group... Now, it seems, she needed to switch roles to keep him steady.

"Arksas, you're not alone on this... Please, tell me what happened... What did she make you do?"

"She threatened to kill all of you off if I didn't do it..... Starting with you." He looked up. "She made me use my abilities to command them to do exactly what she wanted them to. attack army encampments.. She watched me do all this. I have done this horrible thing Gia. But, in all honesty I don't know how to deal with it...." He sat up straight taking a deep breath. "I was conscious. I knew what I was doing. But.. I couldn't stop... I couldn't stop.."

He took a while but he regained his composure. He looked at her. "Thank you, Gia, For taking your time to hear me out. I am sorry for causing you to worry." He was backed to having that blank face mask with only his eyes showing the emotions. "I owe you more than you realize..., So thank you."

Gia was breathing fast, too shocked and scared to take in all that Arksas said. "You knew...but she was controlling you all along...I know exactly how that feels."

When Arksas regained his control, it was like someone flipped a switch on his emotions. He was back to his serious, business-like self. Gia wasn't sure which side of him she favored, but all the same she was concern. When he thanked her for listening, she shook her head as she dropped her hands, sandwiching his hands in hers.

"No...no, you don't need to thank me. It's the other way around...you saved me and Sandra from that..., and bearing the price for our lives..." she couldn't fathom the tremendous guilt he was feeling right now; more than what she felt earlier for causing his injuries and Lacy's life.

Gia's eyes watered at the thought... they all shared some sort of guilt, but many of it was not there's to hold. "Thank you...for everything... just...everything."

She sighed, "I'm going to try to find the video footage from that time period when they took you away from the simulation. I should have most of it stored..." Gia tapped the side of her head with her finger and gave a flat smile. "If I can find it, maybe Sandra and I can find some clues about the men and what happened... Maybe, we can stop all of this from happening before..."

When Gia took is hands in-between her his face turned slightly red. He looked up at her, he looked so shy When he blushed. Which was rare. His face only turned redder with embarrassment. He hated when he blushed. He looked at her. "but I do need to thank you... I needed to than k\you for listening... I know I am a bit aggravating sometime... But I just want to protect all of you. I promise..."

He looked at her still slightly blushing. Then She looked at him her eyes watering. "Thank you...for everything... just...everything." He looked at her and put on hand on her face, Wiping away the tear that was about to be let out from both of her eyes. "Hey, Hey.... No crying for me.... I don't deserve such kindness..." He paused. Then slowly he wrapped his arms around her in a warm embrace. "No more crying for me. Ok?

They embraced, and at first Gia couldn't do anything but sit there. Arksas's was definitely different. This horrid event that shook him within had changed him for better and for worse. She was stunned, but quickly it all melted away, and very delicately her hands wrapped around his shoulders to avoid touching his back. She tried to hold back her tears, but it seemed that everything they've gone through since the first day they were thrown into the secret project just broke the flood gates. They were free from that place, yes; but not free from the consequences of their forced actions there. They were still prisoners...

Gia buried her head in his shoulder, trying so hard to stop crying, but they all knew she was a big crybaby, always been. She considered it just another flaw in her DNA that those stupid nanos couldn't fix.

"Sorry, I can't help it... I want us to be free, but we're not free of them, not with stuff like that hovering over us. I want us all to be free..."

"Sorry, I can't help it... I want us to be free, but we're not free of them, not with stuff like that hovering over us. I want us all to be free..."

Arksas, he let her cry on his shoulder. He still had his normal blank mask. But he needed to stay strong. He was always leaned on back at the base but now people needed him to be strong. Just like he needed everyone else to be strong. He listened to what she said. "I understand. You just want everyone o be safe from the harm. But you know we are trapped by our abilities. You feel helpless.... Is this true?" He looked at her. He felt different. He was aware of how much he had changed in such a short time. But he had to. He changed so everyone else didn't have to. He waited until she had finished crying to speak again. Once she was done he spoke.

"Be strong, Gia. You are capable of more than you think. I have no doubt that we will be free of this burden. And that you will lead all of us along in this. I maybe strong. But I am no leader. If I were to go right now. I would have faith that you would Lead Sandra and Greg through it all. In my eyes. Gia. You are a hero." He held her gently in his embrace for a moment before finally letting go. "So be strong. I know you are capable of this." He leaned against the wall. For now. He was done talking.

Gia calmed down, like she normally did during his pep talks, but what he spoke to her about this time did not settle her nerves. When Arksas stepped away, she wrapped her arms around her knees and dried her tears... Again, there was a feeling of loss... Shaking her head, she looked up frazzled, "You can't be serious...you can't leave!"

She would had stood up to confront him about whatever crazy thoughts he had in his head about leaving, but she didn't trust her legs at the moment. Instead, she sat up taller. "I'll do what I have to do...of course, but there's no way we're going to be able to help you through this mess Bombay forced you into, unless you're here with us!"

The plane dipped down slightly, losing altitude for a second before Gia realized she'd worked herself up enough to forget that she was flying the plane. Straightening it up quickly, she calmed herself a bit and reconnected her concentration. Rarely did she loose focus, but the tables were switching again, and she felt the need to get Arksas to think clearly. Her anger wasn't from just the idea of Arksas even considering the idea of leaving them, but...Gia feared it more than anything... He was doing that shut down thing - that's the side of him she didn't favor.

Greg and Sandra had their moment of peace, a chance to quietly celebrate their freedom. But, Sandra's distractions were beginning to bother Greg. He knew she was eavesdropping on the others, but the look on her face turned hard and then suddenly he heard Gia's voice raise.

He gave her a look before delicately taking her chin and turning her eyes back to his, "What's going on?"

Sandra blinked to register him before shaking her head, "I just have to show you." She touched his forehead with two fingers and relayed all she'd seen from the passenger area. Their personal celebrations just died down. They weren't out of the fire just yet.

Greg stepped away, heading towards the front, "I'll go talk to him. Maybe we can get a few things figured out..."

Sandra grabbed his arm before he could take another step. "Give it till tomorrow. We all need to rest now before we get to Alaska. Then, when we're off this plane, and have some decent food in our system, we will all have a clear mind and hash this out." She shook her head in regret, "There's a lot of things that even I don't know about Arksas... His burdens are heavy and hidden. This might be something we're incapable of helping him with... he may not be able to handle it either..."

"You can't be serious...you can't leave!"

He knew this was going to happen. "Gia, Calm down... I am not leaving anytime soon. You are getting to worried. I am still here. I will still be here tomorrow. And the next day. And the day after that. I will be here. So don't worry. Just Now that I will leave, I put you guys in more danger than you know. So I will leave. Just not anytime soon."

"I'll do what I have to do...of course, but there's no way we're going to be able to help you through this mess Bombay forced you into, unless you're here with us!"

That was enough. He looked at her. "That is enough Gia!" He shouted. He was not ready to talk about what happened with Bombay. He stopped realizing what he just did. He looked away. Keeping his blank face on. "I apologize..." He knew what he was getting into. But he was not about to endanger the others because of himself. He was leaving. Just not anytime soon. He looked at her tenderly. "I don't want to talk about this anymore Gia. I bid you good night." He walked up and walked away. Going to his cot he sighed. he felt a little bad. He laid down o the cot and let himself fall asleep.

Gia's eyes widened when he yelled at her and she held her breath until he spoke again. She was silent...not knowing what to do next. Arksas's never barked at her before. Lacy, yes...she was the one to bark at because she'd always bark back. But not her... Gia dropped here eyes and just let him go.

Upset, confused, strangely displaced, she felt uncomfortable in her skin. Ignoring the discomfort in her legs, she carefully stood up and made her way cautiously to the door of the cockpit. She paused for a second, wanting to glance over her shoulder at him, but stopped herself. He was at a darkened place where she obviously didn't belong. Turning the knob, she entered the cockpit and closed the door shut; taking the controls manually to continue flying the plane to their destination. That's what she was going to do...just concentrate of getting them to Alaska safely; let the others rest. Though, in the back of her mind, she couldn't get over all Arksas's had said, the pains he showed her...

"How far out are they?"

"Several hours out, Ma'am. We didn't get a drop on the signal until three hours ago. Then we had to break down all the encryption Dr. Kooper..."

"I know all of that! Just tell me where they are now?"

"Over Canada... Looks like they're heading to Alaska - about two hours before they cross over."

Bombay nodded as she took all the information in. "Have you found Dr. Kooper yet?" she asked another officer sitting at another computer. He shook his head, "It's like his grid's been washed out the entire system, Dr. He's no where to be found."

Bombay growled under her breath. She needed her prototypes back and now! She's already lost one of her stronger ones for good. What she had left, she had to work with, but that's no good if they're not there. She will be leaving for Europe in two weeks... She grabbed her briefcase, "Is the jet ready?"

"Yes."

"Tell them we have a change in flight plans."

Auto-piloting the plane, Gia had fallen asleep hours ago. When the navigation alerted their destination reached, she woke up with a start and sat up quickly to check on the progress. Out before her was a powdery white spray of land... with landing lights, a clear black-top runway that seemed to split the white background in two, and several buildings and planes to indicate that they'd reached the small private airport.

Sandra was instantly walking in the cockpit before Gia could contact her. "Wonderful!" she exclaimed. "We made it without a hitch."

Gia would protest to that, but she left it alone and continued to work with the controls to prepare for landing. Sandra told the others they were getting ready to land as she strapped herself into the co-pilot's chair. Once they had landed, they stepped out to find a thick, tall man wearing a thick parka and holding several other long parkas in his arms.

"Manny!" Sandra helped the man distribute the parkas until he was clear of them, then she wrapped her arms around him for a warm embrace. Turning to the others while she threw on her parka, Sandra introduced the others. "Everyone this is Retired Marine Major Maniitok Kunayak, a dear family friend of mine for years."

"When Sandra contacted me," tapping his head, "It left me speechless, but she informed me of a few of the things you've all gone through. I know the project you guys were forced into...thought it been disbanded years ago. Funny how you come about the truth, after the fact. Anyway, I'm happy to use my resources to help you guys...and keep you safe."

A black hummer rolled up, and Manny gave them the go ahead to get it. Gia didn't waste any time getting into the parka and jumping into the warm vehicle. Cold climates were not her thing. It only caused her metal joints pain and frazzled her system. Once everyone was in and they headed off to...where ever they were going, Gia kept her eyes out the window to avoid the conversation that was going on between Manny, Sandra, and Greg. She wasn't paying attention to see if Arksas was talking... After splitting her mind in two to fly the plane and do a bit of research in her mental archives, Gia was still tired even after her odd nap. The white landscape passing quickly by soon had her snoozing again. At least, the thick furry parka kept her toasty.

Arksas sighed. His shirt was in ribbons. So he walked out in the cold shirtless.. Which definitely was not comfortable. He was freezing. Bu he refused to show it. As soon as the Parka was put on him He was in bliss. So warm. How could fur store up so much warmth? When he sat in the back of the Hummer it was like paradise. He looked outside. He wasn't one to usually start up a conversation anyway. He looked at Gia, he still felt a little guilty about shouting at her. He was about to apologize but realized she was snoozing. He wanted to laugh. He continued to look outside. He had to make it up to her somehow...

~~~~~~~~~

A man floated in the darkness. Where was he? He was cold. But he felt like he had just woken up after a long sleep. His hair was over his eyes. He was actually tan. Though he hadn't been out in the sun for a very long time. He felt like he had been disturbed from his sleep. But, He couldn't move. He was starting to think back. My name.... Is Anders... I work for a group of scientists. I am the first project to be created, that was effective in the line of duty. I have dark brown hair, and dark brown eyes. I am a soldier. I signed up for the military, then joined a special group. I have ben put to sleep because I was no longer needed. I await my next set of orders... This man was well built. He was still frozen but somehow, he awoke. What caused him to wake up? And why did he feel like something went bad while he was asleep? He sat in the chamber. And went back to sleep.

Sitting comfortably in an overstuffed lounger, and dressed in a devilish red dress to match her lips, Dr. Bombay watched Anders wake up slightly. His mind, toiling with what he could recall and what he needed to know from it, made the corner of her lips rise. Awaiting his next set of orders, just like the good soldier she made him to be. Oh, how she missed such...loyalty, such obedience...such devotion.

She stood up and stepped to the form sitting in the restraint chair - the binding no longer present. Slowly, her finger traced the contours of his bare chest, and she whispered sweetly, "Time to wake up, my dear Anders. Mama's home."

Sandra had to tap Gia on the shoulder several times to get her to squirm. The girl was exhausted, which was understandable, but she behaved as if she had completely shut her system off-line. That was odd. Eventually, Gia's eyes flickered in a sign of life, and she opened them to find an amazing sight sitting behind her friend.

"This is his house?" She sat up slowly, a little dizzy and still fighting for more sleep.

Sandra smiled, "Part of it, the rest is underground."

The two story home was beautiful, to say the least, like a snow mansion sitting on the edge of a snow-covered cliff. Snow, and more snow, Gia shivered even under the parka, but the place was stunning.

Manny showed them the two floors upstairs - living room, entertainment center, kitchen, guest rooms and baths, indoor sauna and tennis court, swimming pool; Gia thought she'd died and gone to a snowy heaven. But, down stairs was the more amazing thing yet.

Manny - is an engineer, and works mostly from out of his three-story underground studio at home. Everything from weapons, to super computers; this man was a genius. Gia found a new friend.

"There's extra rooms below and an emergency bunker; never been used. It leads to the lake behind the house, which leads to the ocean...when it's not frozen over. Nice place to get away for some good ice fishing. So, what do you think about it?"

Ander's eyes slowly fluttered open in signs of life. after a moment he sat up straight and his eyes were open. when she told him to wake up he responded. "Yes mam." He was awake now. He looked around. Then looked at her. This woman was familiar. Was this Dr. bombay? Yeah. that was her name. Bombay. He looked up. "What Is your orders mam?" He looked up at her. Dark brown eyes looking at her. he was not even aware that he wasn't wearing much. He was just waiting for his orders.

~~~~~~~

Arksas looked around the home. It was very impressive. He studied the weapons. He found weapons very interesting. Though he never used them. He liked the place. It seemed to fit this man's profile pretty well. When Arksas looked at Gia, he tensed, He saw how impressed she was, Wait. Was he Jealous? he shook his head trying to clear it. "It is a very nice base of operations. I honestly say I am impressed by this place. But... is there anyplace I can train?" He asked. He knew they weren't out of the clear yet. So he wanted to make sure he was still physically prepared.

"Out here, the wilderness is your training base." Manny laughed with a rugged, weathered tone. I've got several boobie traps, sink tanks, and various other gadgets you guys might enjoy dodging. And, the third floor below is an open gym, weight equipment and such; got to keep fit ya know."

Gia started to wonder how old this man was, and what his background intell. He was far too well-endowed and wise in military know how to be just a 'friend from the old days' as Sandra put it. As she was shown a room for her stay, Gia took the time to scan the building, finding the place secured like Fort Knox. Most of the equipment she found was Top Standard, and with no serial numbers to trace. Either the man stole them, or made them himself.

In her search, she found his computer and gasped at its system. Easily breaking his password, she learned more about Manny, all of it legit. Then, she ran into this government secured folders and realized that, even though Manny was retired, he was still working for the military on the side. All in all, he was truly on their side, and had the knowledge and the background to actually help them out with their new problem. She knew, somehow, she was going to have to talk with him.

But first, Gia really wanted to wash up, and find some new clothes. She stepped out of the room to find Sandra, "What are we suppose to do about clothes? We have nothing but what's on our backs, and that's not saying much."

Manny pepped up then, stepping from the kitchen area with a tray of drinks, "In the closets. Sandra had already taken the liberty of sending me your files. I know everything about each of you, all the way down to your shoe size. You'll all set."

Gia gave her friend a smirk, "Dang sista, you're good."

"You know it."

Gia happily returned to her room to find the closets and draws packed full of everything she needed, including toiletries. It was like some fairy knew her every need and provided it when she thought all was lost. She collected what she needed and started out of her room to try to find the bathroom. There were so many rooms in the large house, she'd forgotten the basics.

Bombay smiled, inches from him, "I want you to find them, and bring them to me - alive."

She threw images into his mind of their faces, showed him footage of their fighting tactics, filled his mind with information about each of the lost prototypes. And then, she gave him more. Deeper she placed within him each of their fears, their hopes and dreams, their fantasies and desires; tools to use to get as close as he can to each of them, to gain their trust in order to snag them and safely bring them home.

"I miss them so much, but they've been so bad and must be punished. So, bring them home safely, and make me happy. If mama's happy, then Ander's will be too. But, if they misbehave and refuse to come home, then be a good boy and teach them to respect their mama, like you do..."