C r o s s o v e r ' s C a r d s ( A l w a y s O p e n )

"No way am i riding that, nope not even a slight chance!" Man she was really beginning to annoy him. Her high and mighty crap was grating to his ears. He wanted to tune her out, but he would've missed it if she said something actually important--or if she went for his balls. So he stood there...and waited. One arm on the top of the posh sports car that everyone envied, and one on the window that was rolled all the way up by the hand crank. If she said something about that He might just wreak them both on purpose.

"You're gonna get in, you're gonna go to the hospital and get that leg checked out--then you're gonna tell me who gave me a playing card and why." He mumbled, fishing through his pockets for his pack of cigarettes. He found the nearly crumpled box tucked away on the inside of his jean jacket. Innocently out of sight and out of mind for the teachers.

Once she had actually taken a seat, he shut the car door and stepped around and fumbled his keys from his pocket and opened th driver side door. He sat down on the posh black leather seats that had been taken well care of. In sliding the key into the ignition he paused only to hear the girl whine some more.

"Just hurry up before i'll regret this." She muttered.

"Yeah, damn shame someones being nice and giving a damn for once." He held onto his cigarette with his lips before starting the massive engine. It didn't just start up--it roared. With every subtle foot motion he gave it, the car broke the peace with thunderous applause. He grabbed the shifter, slid it back into Drive quickly and without warning the car rumbled and vibrated all over from the simplest form of power. He let the car crawl to the exit of the parking lot, and in looking both ways and finding no oncoming traffic stepped on it.

The back wheel screamed as they through up smoke from burning, melting rubber. The whole front end of the car shot up and he rushed it to the far stop sign where it bounced heavily back down.

"Oh yeah, you should probably put your seat belt on."

Surprisingly she obeyed and put on her seat belt, of course it annoyed her but it was for her own good right. Rayne got her bag then got the card which was under her books and notebooks, " You mean you don't know? " she asked softly then rose her card above her staring at it, it was pitch black, at first she would ignore it but the more she did the more it's attention started to rise. " There are 11 cards in total, each of them.. consist a secret. People don't choose the card and get it for their own, the cards choose their own people " she said in a wistful voice, of course she hated it. But that's the only thing she knew, she found it in a book in the library, but once she checked it again, it was already gone, lost, or maybe the book didn't even exist.

The card chooses the people they like, who they think is responsible and would act mighty, she would understand why the card chose her but still she didn't believe it. What was the cards purpose? Why do they pick their owners? Each cards holds a meaning, but she never found out hers. She let out a sigh then kept the card down her bag again, her expression was plain blank once she asked, " You have a card too don't you? " she saw some smoke in front of her then waved it off, great his smoking she thought.

Reactions: Everlasting
" You mean you don't know? " She asked him as they started making headway towards the nearest emergency room. "Not a damn clue. If I did, I'd be asking for some instruction manuals or something." He puffed still keeping the cig precariously between his lips; absentminded that he was 'bouncing' it almost humorously. He drove the fast paced car with a certain debonair that one could only read about. with one outstretched muscled arm, hand clinging to the hard rubber of the steering wheels undulate design, and the perched back on the shifter which rested in second gear. That was all that was really needed for streets this compacted. He looked careless or carefree, it was her choice to take him as he was and what exactly kind of person he was. But she would definitely get a sense that he felt freer than a bird in-flight when driving.

" There are 11 cards in total, each of them.. consists of a secret. People don't choose the card and get it for their own, the cards choose their own people " This statement put up a red flag of course. How would she know that?

"So...these cards have a name to refer to them by or something? No government agent is gonna like come bust the door it, or run us off the road, right? Because if you know something--being late to class may be on your list of things that you should be least worried about. That kinda stuff if like radioactive, and I don't mean the kind that you get super powers from. You know, the kind that just brings more trouble than it may be worth." Xander answered keeping his eyes on the road. But the wheels in his brain were more than spinning.

What did I get myself into now? He thought.

" You have a card too don't you? " She asked before waving her hand to try and clear the billowing smoke.

"Yep," He answered nonchalantly. He opened the window and all the smoke was sucked out almost immediately. "Red as blood; its a damn pain in my ass. Have to know where it is and if its okay at all times. I seriously don't know why. I tried locking it in a safe box and burying it because I thought I was going damn near crazy obsessing over it." Xander held up his right hand, two of the last finger nails were still regrowing.

"Dug the the box out after two day and pried it open when I couldn't find the key. Tore off two finger nails. Dunno why but when I saw it safe, I felt a whole lot better It hurt of course but the idea of losing it was far more important."

" That's because the card IS a part of you, " she said while looking outside, of course she knew that. But she wouldn't believe it a bit. The card always caused her trouble, wherever she goes she had to take care of it, this card just slows her down. No matter how much she wants to throw it away she couldn't, and she knew that. So he's color was red? Would be a perfect exploitation why he annoyed her. But why was it, hers was black? This was no ordinary card, whoever holds this card would be at stake. The last holders did a mistake and got killed, that's why new ones were chosen, that was written on the book. New ones would be chosen soon as the others died or the card chooses to leave it's owner.

" So.. These cards have a name to refer to them by or something? " she remembered him say, of course it did, she read this part. Once she was gonna say it out loud, she had forgotten, it was just there a minute ago, but then lost. What was the name again?

Rayne crossed her arms and closed her eyes, " They used to have a name, but no one knows it, it was kept secret. " she said. Also there used to be a government chasing for this cards, that's what she needed to tell him. Instead she waited for him to know the answer for himself. That's the other reason why she didn't want to leave the Academy, because it's protected there. The cards shouldn't cross the boundaries alone without a witness. That's why she didn't want to leave too, it was there in the book.

' Danger crosses different ways, ' it had said, there was someone chasing after the cards. They must have made their move now. Hopefully they didn't yet.

" That's because the card IS a part of you, " She told him in a rather abrupt way, or so he felt. She was pushing him away, keeping him at bay. What was it for? Did she have a reason?

"A part of me? Like an extra finger?" He jokingly asked her. He knew full well the scorn she'd probably give him, but it was like pulling teeth with her. She wasn't exactly forthcoming with what she knew about the cards--which evidently more than he did. One question he knew she wouldn't e able to answer was why. She seemed about in the dark about it as he was, probably others too.

"So, these cards have a name to refer them by or something?" He continued on, he would let her answer the other question at her discretion. He had thought that she might not know either.

" They used to have a name, but no one knows it, it was kept secret." She told him. But something told him there was more than what she was telling him. however, for now he had to wait. For the had pulled into the lot of the hospital closest to the Academy.

Xander exited his car stepping around to the other side. He opened the passenger door and wrapped Rayne's arm around his neck. He eased her very carefully out of the seat and into a standing posture with most of her weight slacked on his shoulders which carried her easily. He stayed on her bad side letting her hop with her good leg while leaving the rest of the work up to him. He'd have carried her again, but felt he ad embarrassed her enough for one day.

It was her own fault though. Being to full of hot air between her ears--she wouldn't let the nurse at the academy look at it, oh no. Had to be difficult even though she could obviously barely stand on that one leg. He helped her to the reception desk, where a woman sat with a friendly smile.

"Hello, what is the nature of your visit?" She asked in a mellow tone.

"Uh, yeah...my friend here had an accident and she can barely stand on two legs." Xander would answer looking over at Rayne who was probably thoroughly displeased.

"Alright, I need you to fill a couple things out and the doctor will see you shortly."

"I'll see to them." A voice called out from behind the receptionist. His voice, although it had a soothing entrancing quality-came as a surprise to the receptionist he squeaked.

"I'm sorry for scaring you Margret. Although now the secrets out that you squeak." The man chuckled. He sure didn't look like a doctor or or a resident--where were his scrubs? He was in jean pants and a denim jacket. Even so, he waved them on back into a room, flipping the switch to illuminate the room with incandescence. Rayne and Xander followed suit and as they entered Xander decided to ope his mouth again...

"Hey, look. I'm sure you're qualified to do something here...but you don't exactly scream "doctor"." Xander spoke his mind often, and for better or worse outcomes.

"That seems quite paradoxical. To be sure yet...unsure." The young resident let the latex glove snap to his hand, forming a malleable barrier. He then turned around. an maneuvered towards Xander and Rayne with his hands held at bay. When Xander rested Rayne on the table the resident took her leg quite carefully.

"What were you doing to cause the injury?" He inquired running his fingers slowly but lightly up and down her leg for superficial breaks.

Rayne stared at the doctor feeling a bit suspicious and kind of terrified at the same time, he was the one who was going to check her up? " It's nothing, i fell down the stairs so what. " she said coldly, all she wanted was to go home. Plus the answer that she gave was utterly embarrassing. How can someone get injured from falling down the stairs and couldn't actually walk by herself, now she just feel pathetic. But still. Even is she tells the doctor she wants to go home Xander was just gonna block the door yet again.

This wasn't what she planned for today, she was supposed to be in class looking at the window enjoying the view, eating the lunch special and draw other peoples attention by trying to amuse and help them. Then walk home alone waiting for her parents to come which they rarely does and watch a movie that would please her entire afternoon.

Not breaking her leg because of some student accidentally bumping into her and make her fall down with him then leave her alone which she was grateful then gave the papers to the teachers seeing some seniors saw her card and an annoying guy who happens to help her carry her to a hospital that she never goes to.

She knew she had to be at least a little bit thankful but that wasn't her style. Rayne stared at Xander, most likelly glared at him while she was deep in thought.

(I don't know why it keeps not posting my responses..)

" It's nothing, I fell down the stairs so what. " She responded to the med student's question.

"Ooh, feisty." The student replied in response, chuckling. That's when he leaned forwards and in his front chest pocket was a card uncannily resembling hers except--this one was white.

"I take it you're embarrassed by falling? There's really no need to be." He clicked his pin and drew a tiny, minuscule x on her leg. He then took an ace bandage wrap and set her bare foot against his shoulder. He delicately wrapped her ankle and the lower portion of her heel.

"Good news, you didn't break anything. Bad news, I'm afraid your boyfriend will have to help you around for a couple days. It looks like you taken to a nasty sprain."

"Wha-?1 Boyfriend?!" Xander blurted out. His face immediately becoming flushed.

"Aww, come now. You attraction to this girl is evident. " The man continued to goad Xander all the while maintaining a serene smile about him. " Look there, your face is even showing it."

"Now you listen here! I just met this girl!" Xander argued but he was suddenly cut off.

"And you carry her around--taking her from a nurses station to an ER? " The man question Xander, his face becoming even more pink. "Yeah, I'd say that was infatuation..." The med student then laughed, waving Xander on.

"I kid, I kid. You really need to relax some." "Well you two, I've got other business to attend--remember young lady, stay off that foot." He looked over at her strong willed determination giving her an ominous glance that was strictly foreboding before he then smiled kindly. " I'm off!"

( Ah, maybe some error or sumthing? > _ < )

" Ooh fiesty, " she heard him say, Rayne then clenched her fist resisting to hurt anyone around her, but obviously it wouldn't work since she couldn't even move with her foot. She saw the card a bit but then ignored it, for her it felt like it wasn't important, what if it was an average playing card? She'd just blow her cover of having a weird colored card that basically does nothing but glow whenever she was upset. How useless. " I take it you're embarrassed by falling? There's really no need to be. "

" Good news, you didn't break anything. Bad news, i'm afraid your boyfriend will have to help you around for a couple days. It looks like you taken to a nasty sprain. " now that crossed her line, she would have yelled but she noticed Xander did it for her, well for once she could agree with him.

" And you carry her around-- taking her from a nurses station to an ER? Yeah, i'd say that was infatuation. " the man did make a point but still, he got the wrong idea!

" I kid, I kid. You really need to relax some. Well you two, I've got other business to attend-- remember young lady, stay off that foot. I'm off! " he saw the man about to leave, she gave him a stare that could actually tell that she would do anything to kill that guy in a matter of seconds. Then she had a determine smile, " Well thank you for taking care of me, may i ask what's your name perhaps? I just want to know who helped me. " she said, but basically she wanted to write down his name, burn it in fire and maybe stick some needles at the paper. Or curse it until something bad happens to him. " By the way do you play cards? " she asked remembering the card from his pocket.

" Well thank you for taking care of me, may I ask what's your name perhaps? I just want to know who helped me." Rayne had asked the young resident. " By the way do you play cards? "

"Oh?" He stopped mid stride, smiling somewhat. " Are you sure its not write my name down and perform some kind of sacrament?" Xander was puzzled, what the hell was this guy on? There was a long pause but then he began to laugh and wave her on..

"Kidding, kidding. You pair are quite uptight. You make a good match. My name is Amaris." He added, still smiling friendly as can be. "What makes you say that? You wouldn't have gone looking into my pockets now would you? Tsk, tsk, tsk. Quite the invasive thing you are.I bet your boyfriend there didn't even notice it."

Amaris... she thought over and over again never to forget that name who she really hate and will seek vengeance once.

" Actually i was planning to perform one, wow, it's as if you're reading my own mind. Thanks for supporting me into performing you into some sort of curse. " she said while smiling childishly, obviously she had holding the urge to really choke this guy. " And my so called boyfriend here is an idiot when it comes to noticing things, right Xander-kun? " she said with a bright smile, it was also pay back for forcing her to go back at the nurse's office and ended up here.

Rayne stared at Xander for a while then stared at the student, he should have noticed the card earlier, if he hadn't he was a bigger idiot than she thought. Or maybe she should just stop judging people before hand.

Last edited: