C# Code?

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lewi

Original poster
so if you've seen any of my other recent threads then you're aware that I'm in the process of making a game for iwaku and its community. :3 here's my issue. I'm using unity 3D and I have a good grasp of how to use it win one exception. Coding. I have no idea about C# code. I'd rather use that as opposed to Java because it seems more thorough. I've looked up internet tutorials and everything but none are very clear to where I can understand it. Even debating dropping fifty bucks on a book on it. (Even though I'd rather not) anyone out here know code and willing to talk about it? Or some good references for a dumb person like me? Lol

Hi! I spent a year working with C# I can help a little. Getting books can help though because it's alllllll about that syntax! And the keywords depending on what you're using. :)

Thank GOD. Still don't know if I wanna drop that much money tho....you wanna be my coder? Or show me how to do some stuff? Lol

so if you've seen any of my other recent threads then you're aware that I'm in the process of making a game for iwaku and its community. :3 here's my issue. I'm using unity 3D and I have a good grasp of how to use it win one exception. Coding. I have no idea about C# code. I'd rather use that as opposed to Java because it seems more thorough. I've looked up internet tutorials and everything but none are very clear to where I can understand it. Even debating dropping fifty bucks on a book on it. (Even though I'd rather not) anyone out here know code and willing to talk about it? Or some good references for a dumb person like me? Lol
Try C++ if C# is difficult to figure our (or find information on) but, I can't guarantee success with google searches x.x I was actually attempting to do that too, but, eventually gave up, and decided to fully invest my time in game development, and get into a program for that sorta thing. (In other words... Sometimes, taking classes/schooling on these things are the only reliable way you'll end up learning them)

Try C++ if C# is difficult to figure our (or find information on) but, I can't guarantee success with google searches x.x I was actually attempting to do that too, but, eventually gave up, and decided to fully invest my time in game development. (In other words... Sometimes, taking classes on these things are the only reliable way you'll end up learning them)

Thank GOD. Still don't know if I wanna drop that much money tho....you wanna be my coder? Or show me how to do some stuff? Lol
Like I said, it's allllll 'bout that syntax! It's actually not super difficult once you know the keywords. I'm more than happy to look over code and explain anything you wanna know. I've still got my own textbook from the class. really all flavors of C are similar. I just learned C# and have a fondness for it. I can help a bit but I'm not entirely sure what you want. I can get a machine set up for coding though. I've got a spare one sitting around that's got space.

I would greatly appreciate the help!
Well I'll do what I can. I'm more than happy to try to answer questions, look over code, and attempt to give you some samples if I've still got any. Javascript's a pain though it IS marketable. C# is marketable as well. so if nothing else, you aren't LOSING anything by learning. Try the "For Dummies" Series. Cheaper than a textbook and SHOULD have the right syntax. If I can't help try Stackoverflow. It's a programming forum that I used a lot when I didn't know how to do stuff. I can even ask my prof. what website he used for our programming class that was centered around solving puzzles so you can try out some exercises once you're comfortable enough.

Is there somewhere I can get a list of what all the syntax and stuff means?

Unity only codes in C# or JavaScript :(
Aww, oh well o-o I could still see what I can do with my limited knowledge on C++ :P I ain't no expert, but, I'll try my best to help o.o

Reactions: Lewi
  • Useful
Reactions: York
@LunaValentine

Example: what does this mean? I'm pretty sure that transform is movement of the object but what is void and all that other stuff? I feel so dumb lol I know that the curly brackets indicate each new line of code and the periods indicate subsections.

using UnityEngine;
using System.Collections;

public class ExampleClass : MonoBehaviour {
void Example() {
foreach (Transform child in transform) {
child.position += Vector3.up * 10.0F;
}
}
}

@LunaValentine

Example: what does this mean? I'm pretty sure that transform is movement of the object but what is void and all that other stuff? I feel so dumb lol I know that the curly brackets indicate each new line of code and the periods indicate subsections.

using UnityEngine;

void Example() {
}
}
}
From what I can gather, this is essentially the basic unity function for picking up an object perhaps o-o (typically, I'm used to people putting comments in these things to make it easier to interpret)

@LunaValentine

using UnityEngine;

void Example() {
}
}
}
lets see.... ExampleClass is the type of class. void means it's not returning anything. Example is the name of the function, foreach(Transform (this is the datatype) child(variable) in transform(probably a list?) I believe it's doing something with its position. so it's moving whatever Vector3.up is by 10.0F times. I'm not certain about the Vector3.up but it's a function of Vector3 whatever that is (or what seems to be providing some sort of matix/list). dunno what F is either.

Ok got another question...if I sent you to the place with the unity specific commands and such and descriptions such as this

http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Transform.html

And asked you to script me something do you think you could?
In honesty? Probably not. I learned to code applications and programs rather than games. While I do know C# and can recognize languages and start to understand, actually doing them is a separate endeavor. I would need to find a way to actually work out the code and test it to play around with it since I have no formal training in scripting whatsoever.

Ok. I gotcha. Just trying to read all this stuff is like Chinese to me. Lol

Ok. I gotcha. Just trying to read all this stuff is like Chinese to me. Lol
I can kinda read it but boy, this is rough. I'm used to processing information and shit like that. I can work with matrices but that's about as deep as it gets. Unfortunately all I can do is attempt to provide some troubleshooting to find syntax errors at this point.

I see. It wouldn't be so bad if I could find a guide in common terms rather than sounding so complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.