Bushido - The Path of Honor (Sign up/OOC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't read up on that one, I'll do so when I have time. :)

Most of Japanese history is filled with civil wars, honor duels, gangs, and all that good shit you'd see in the average samurai film. You don't need to make some weird faux-modern setting to allow creativity with a character. Technology level issues alone are settled by giving us a year.

Also, Japan's used guns since Portugal introduced them in the late 1500s; why would you ban those?
It's awesome how you know so much about Japanase history, but I think you're kinda missing the point here, this is supposed to be like a middle age Japanese city that is kinda isolated from the rest of the world evolution, so kinda that is available today would be available them but they live like 500 years ago or something, not because tech does not exist but because they want.
I imagine the last samurai movie, if the samurai's had won and gun weapons would be decreed illegal in Japan but tech keeps evolving...

Olissa feel free to correct me if I am wrong :)

Basically that's the gist of it. It's not the only town that way, but it definitely is the main point of the roleplay

Glad I kinda nailed it XD

It's awesome how you know so much about Japanase history, but I think you're kinda missing the point here, this is supposed to be like a middle age Japanese city that is kinda isolated from the rest of the world evolution, so kinda that is available today would be available them but they live like 500 years ago or something, not because tech does not exist but because they want.
I imagine the last samurai movie, if the samurai's had won and gun weapons would be decreed illegal in Japan but tech keeps evolving...

Olissa feel free to correct me if I am wrong :)
If the tech from today is available, then they're not living 500 years ago, now are they? Or they're some kinda weird Jap-Amish.

Also, modern Japanese gun laws are pretty strict. Just owning a rifle is a pain compared to parts of America, and I'm pretty certain only active-duty police officers can carry handguns.

Lastly, the Last Samurai was inaccurate in that sense. Samurai loved guns. Nobunaga Oda, one of the most famous warlords in history, was notable for how much he loved guns, and he damn near conquered Japan because of it. Even in the Boshin War, the war the Last Samurai depicted, the samurai loyal to the Shogunate still used guns. Their not using them in the movie was an artistic decision. Said war wasn't about guns, either; it was largely about foreign policy, Japan's rapid modernization, and a power struggle between the Emperor, previously largely a figurehead, and the Shogunate, who normally had authority over every samurai lord in Japan.

Jap-Amish XD you said it!
Well then this would be "IF" the last samurai movie was accurate and the war was about guns and "IF" the gunless samurais had won and Japan decided to be Jap-Amish and don't use tech that is available to them.
Kind Off

*headdesk*
Okay people I understand that some love the history very dearly, but this is intended as a roleplay strongly INSPIRED by certain periods.
I am not throwing the guns out completely, just don't want them the full main focus. And if people keep tripping over it then I'll deal with that, just let it go and don't obsess over it.
The town does use technology, the town does have access to whatever the modern world provides, there just are people still upholding the beliefs of Bushido. That is the entire point. They don't go about shunning everything that isn't of the old ages, they embrace it as how every individual might do.

Jap-Amish XD you said it!
Well then this would be "IF" the last samurai movie was accurate and the war was about guns and "IF" the gunless samurais had won and Japan decided to be Jap-Amish and don't use tech that is available to them.
Kind Off
Well if that was the case they'd be helpless if a foreign power attacked, which was pretty likely because people could be imperialists back then. Hence, why they were so eager to modernize.

No magic, even for Shinto priests. Having a ghost roam around as stated in the first post is not an option.

*headdesk*
Okay people I understand that some love the history very dearly, but this is intended as a roleplay strongly INSPIRED by certain periods.
I am not throwing the guns out completely, just don't want them the full main focus. And if people keep tripping over it then I'll deal with that, just let it go and don't obsess over it.
The town does use technology, the town does have access to whatever the modern world provides, there just are people still upholding the beliefs of Bushido. That is the entire point. They don't go about shunning everything that isn't of the old ages, they embrace it as how every individual might do.
You do know following bushido means being legit crazy, right? It'd probably end with half the players ripping their guts out and the other half getting violently murdered.

Shame your family?Hara-kiri. Be crap at war? Hara-kiri. Late for dinner? Your brother kills you for such a shameful display.

Okay thanks.
I've done this roleplay many a times in a successful manner.
I am very close to the point of just closing this for good on this site.
It is INSPIRED BY not a correct representation!
Don't like it, get out and start your own.

I had no intentions of getting worked up over this, and if it causes me more grief because people are basically requiring me to reform my roleplay to their wishes, then I will simply give up, and remove it as a whole.

No magic, even for Shinto priests. Having a ghost roam around as stated in the first post is not an option.
I don't think Shinto priests or even shrine maidens are traditionally depicted with magic in the first place. They're just priests.

You're getting really worked up about people calmly discussing Japanese history in the thread. No one's even being rude or anything. It's not like prospective players questioning the setting is an unusual thing either. It both lets people know if the game would be right for them or not and helps the GM flesh out parts of the setting that may be important to the players.

I don't think Shinto priests or even shrine maidens are traditionally depicted with magic in the first place. They're just priests.
I am aware, but I have seen many a person who thought otherwise, hence why I mentioned it specifically.

Yes, you can sell electronics

How about people from overseas?

Foreigners are just as common in this RP as they would be in Japan in this day and age.

We'll I'm going reserve my spot here. I probably could do the character right now but may take some time sine I'm using a tablet... That's a long story. But wanted to let you know I'm still in this role play :)

Status
Not open for further replies.