Burning Away OOC/Signup (Always Open)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I'd like to join, but I have a question that I usually ask before joining RPs that don't explicitly answer it. Does magic exist in this world? If so, what laws regulate it? How is it used? How is it viewed in the eyes of the public?

Hi. Generally I like to keep magic and the paranormal as underlying elements rather than things things that are at the forefront of the thread, which is why I've never really wanted to beef its importance by giving it a systems section or anything like that. Magic does exist in pretty standard form, but its practice is incredibly rare and growing even more scarce with the passage of time. To the public, it's pretty much completely unheard of other than the usual folklore stories that aren't necessarily taken seriously. Magic and its practitioners would probably be seeking to hide themselves more than anything else, as their art is more or less the occult. As far as magic that has actually come up in this thread and previous ones, it's usually less about throwing fireballs and more about utilitarian applications, along the lines of alchemy. I guess it's pretty standard in terms of low-magic settings, so there's a lot of room in terms of how it can be incorporated into a character.

Fair enough. Magic is something near and dear to my roleplayers' heart, so I gotta get at least a feeling for how it works before making a character, even if that character ends up not having anything to do with magic. Thank you for the explanation, I'll get to work on a profile!

I'm always happy to answer any other questions as well. Thank you for your interest, and I look forward to seeing it!

I don't mean to be a tease, but I actually need to get some sleep first. When you're sick your body tends to throw your sleep schedule out of whack. Rest assured I am very much interested in this RP and will be making a character.

Hey, no problems there. I'm actually about to head to class at the moment so I'm perfectly fine with waiting to get a CS whenever it's convenient for the writer.

Also, you might want to link the new characters in the OP whenever it's convenient for you.

That's a good idea. There's a few people I'm just going to give bios because of ease of reading/they stick around but I'll have to do that for any NPC left out.

Alright, I have my character sheet! Let me know if anything conflicts with your view of the world and its history or anything like that and I'll change it.

Geralt.jpg

Name: Geralt Riley Sinclair
Appearance: An average height with a slim body, Geralt wasn't built for heavy armor and massive weaponry. Instead, he mainly wears a brown coat over a white shirt and light grey pants, ending in flexible boots and simple leather gloves. A brown tweed cap covers a head of cropped brown hair and an angular face. Geralt's dark brown eyes seem to constantly have rings around them, making him constantly look tired. He can sometimes be seen with a toothpick or other small stick hanging out of his mouth, and he tends to chew on it a bit when in thought.
Personality: Geralt tends to be somewhat friendly, if a little reserved at first. He won't go out of his way to give someone special treatment, regardless of social status; he's gotten into more than a few scraps because of this. His carefully balanced demeanor of equal parts laid-back, cautious, and amicable ties together to give him a bit of a weary, if kind personality. He can make himself scarce if need be, learned from a life of careful thievery and mercenary work, and he knows all the best hiding spots. He has no feelings on the impending war, only noting that where there's war, there's work to be had.
Equipment: Geralt has a single dagger that's primarily sheathed so as to not cause problems, and a lockpick stored in a hidden flap on the inside of his boot.
Biography: Born during one of the many wars in the northwest, Geralt was fated to never know his parents. As a child, he was sent off into the empire of Arcartus. His parents hoped that he could spare himself the grim fate that had befallen them by joining the grand empire. The man he was sent away with, his uncle Riley, was the closest thing to a father he had. Though, Riley was impoverished and couldn't hold down a job, so Geralt had to learn how to fend for himself on the streets. He took to street thievery to try and make ends meet, but he knew he couldn't avoid the law for long. When he was a young teen, Geralt left the town to try and find a means of earning a living. He traveled across the countryside, but there was no work for a street hood whose only skills were being fast, stealing, and picking locks. No honest work, at least. Geralt had gotten a few contracts over the years to steal some family heirloom or other priceless trinket for careless nobility, but it wasn't until the League and Edict of Tovasel were formed that true crime began to run throughout the empire. The capital's slums became a bit of a cesspool for organized crime, and with no real job in mind, Geralt made his way south to the port city of Lieda.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: Sightles
Accepted, welcome aboard. I think it fits perfectly, actually.

Neat! I'll get to work on a post then!

Are supernatural creatures allowed? I would like to be a vampire (with a lot of huge restrictions such as sunlight and water and such) but I want to know uf that is allowed.

There are a lot of ways to do vampires, some less magical and fantastic than others, which are the ways I would suggest if you really wanted to take a shot at it. Unfortunately, this probably isn't the thread for that sort of thing. It's not particularly high fantasy and everything so far is gearing towards a more urban, down to earth kind of story. Killers who feed on blood? Creepy, potentially antagonistic, great. Immortals that transform into bats? Probably a little jarring. Thank you for your interest but I do feel obliged to say that this might not be exactly what you're looking for, if you're looking for a good thread to play a vampire in.

I normally do not play female characters, but noticing the deficit I threw one in. I hope she works with this world, and I didn't take too many liberties with her. Let me know if I need to alter anything.
Name:
➥ Astoria De'Marconias

Appearance:
➥ Astoria is the sort that is cut from stone, but do not get the idea that she is some marble masterpiece. She is as hard and unforgiving as a rock at ocean side. Sometimes she smiles, but it is a rare and witchy thing. She stands of average height, and average build. There may be a curvaceousness there, but it is hidden underneath utilitarian dresses. Her skin is darker than most coastal dwellers, and shines with a hint of mahogany in the glaring sun. Black, untamed curls are pulled away from her face with little fruition as she attempts to keep them at bay with golden clips and circlets. Astoria is the owner of a hawkish nose. One might be inclined to say that is pronounced because she enjoys nosing around in the affairs of others. She has full lips which are offset by a strong chin, and stronger cheekbones. Her eyes might be the kindest thing about her--a pale brown, bordering on honey, that twinkle at the prospect of scholarly endeavors.

Clothing:
➥ Many speculate that Astoria wears pants under her dresses, and they would be correct. Not a woman of sedentary lazing about, Astoria is constantly moving. She is garbed in fashions that are deemed 'in season,' but only just. Most of her choices involve high collars, long sleeves, and the hem of her dress mere inches from the ground. The color pallet she takes to is compromised of dark reds and purples, all accessorized with a hint of gold. Astoria dresses like she is important, but no one can decide on the 'why'

Personality:
➥ Astoria knows more than you, or at least she thinks so. Not to say the she is ignorant to others' opinions, but she does have a nasty habit of arguing. Sometimes she will let you win, if only because she has deemed you incapable of intelligent thought. That aside, Astoria can be more personable. If you wish to learn something, she is more than happy to unfold her thoughts and numerous books for you. If you just wish to have a conversation with her, that doesn't involving debating the validity of a topic, Astoria will be downright curt. She is not easily flabbergasted or sent to coy prattling by the interest of others. Astoria is assured that no one would find her charming, because people always want something. And while others might think that is a bleak outlook in life, Astoria does not. It is the way the world functions. If you romanticize something, then it will surely not be to your expectations, and you will live in a state of constant disappointment. And Astoria does not have the time for that.

Weapons:
A Boot Knife- Handy for cutting off lose strings, opening letters, tending to cheese wheels, and threatening assailants. Astoria has meager knowledge on how to defend herself this way. Her brothers gave her rough tutorials when they were younger.
Her Cutting Wit- Only dangerous to those that are self-assured.

Belongings:
➥ Family Crest-
Hangs on a necklace around her neck. It is gold, like the many other pieces of jewelry she owns.
A Key Ring- How else is she to get in and out of all those locked doors?
Small Red Notebook- Astoria has written notes from cover to cover. All in her special code. Which really isn't special once you realize it is the alphabet backwards.
Riding Gloves- A lady cannot have calloused hands. Though, numerous paper cuts are an entirely different matter.
A Small Blue Stone- Astoria is assured that it is magical. Though she has yet to figure out what kind of magic it possess and how to harness it. So, it may not be magical at all.

History:
Astoria is the daughter of a noble house. That known, she is the middle child in a sea of far more attractive and charming siblings. Her elder brothers have staked their claim to being head of the house. While her younger sisters have mostly been married off to cement the De'Marconias as people of importance. She escaped this fate by being downright pragmatic and stoic in all forms of courting. It was apparent, at a young age, that Astoria's life would not be that of a typical De'Marconias heir. She took to memorizing every book in the house as soon as she taught herself to read. From there she ignored sewing lessons and musical training, and instead bothered each of her father's well traveled guests for stories about their lands. When that no longer suited her she made her way to the Lieda library where she made her mission to spend every waking hour learning all she could learn.

As she aged any hope of her settling down and taking a more traditional path fizzled out. Astoria became enrapt with history, war, and even magic. Knowledge turned into practice, and before she knew it she was testing theories and debating practicalities with other nobles and scholars of Lieda. Still, she dare not travel for the news of battle and its depravity. Her cloistered life both helped and hinder her. While she lacked the world-weary knowledge of travelers, she became an fount of knowledge about Lieda. It is fair to say that there are many secrets that rattle about in Astoria's head.

Inevitably she became a court advisor and researcher. A woman of importance, though not too much importance to be dangerous--or so they think. Astoria has strings she could pluck, and knowledge she could put to use. Instead, though, she keeps her lips sealed and the seat of her station warm.

That character sheet made me smile. I like her. Praise the end of the sausage fest.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
Accepted, welcome aboard. I appreciate the diversity and she seems like a character whose execution will do interesting things for the thread. I don't have any issues with it, although all the stuff said about magic's scarcity earlier still stands, just in case I've misunderstood something.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.