Bunch of random suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

[Q]

Original poster
This comes from being used to phpBB, so maybe I'm just picky since this is... What type of board is this? Invision? Anyways.

- have the ability to see the ACTUAL date/time a post was made (rather than the whole "one day ago" deal)
- Ability to set a time/date for daily email subscriptions
- have dates in user comments (on profile pages) in a font color other than the background color (right now it's black on black).
- Ability to subscribe to organization/group threads in some manner.

- have forum stubs/jump at the BOTTOM of the thread
^-- THIS RIGHT HERE is my major beef right now.

The whole "Forum -> Community -> Feedback and Ideas -> (thread title)" is (I believe; could be wrong) known as bread crumbs or a stub or something.
Anyway, I use these to navigate back/forth between forums/categories/etc. They're nice and easy.
Right now, they're only at the top of the page. So in order to go from a thread back to the forum that thread is in, I have to scroll back up the (normally very long) page. THIS MAKES ME SADFACE.
Alternatively/also you could just add the forum dropdown box at the bottom of each page.
But I prefer bread crumbs.

- auto-generate tags, or get rid of the tag form.
It's kind of pointless, really. Especially when it seems like I always enter in the wrong amount of tags. ]:<

- Get rid of post icons or add ones that don't suck
(personal preference on that one, really).

[blink]THESE TAGS RIGHT HERE ONLY EXIST TO ANNOY PEOPLE AND HONESTLY I CANNOT EVER SEEING IT BEING USED IN A WAY THAT DOES NOT INDUCE MASSIVE FRUSTRATION[/blink]
But then again I haven't been to the insanity forum, so maybe that's okay over there.

This is also pointless since it's black on black. [Edit: OIC THEY DON'T WORK AT ALL! Maybe you should take them out of the editor, then?]
This doesn't work either.

[o]WTF IS THIS SHIT?[/o]
DO WE REALLY NEED THAT?

And basically all these needless tags. Maybe make them only applicable to the insanity forum if you really want to keep them?

Also, I suggest better images for these actions. These right now are kinda... Meh.

Anyway, thanks for the consideration, and I am not pissed. That is my "trying to be mockingly funny" voice. :TT:

I want to hit you. c__c But only for the things you're complaining about out of personal opinion on whether or not they're useful.

Lemme do the quote thing. D:

This comes from being used to phpBB, so maybe I'm just picky since this is... What type of board is this? Invision? Anyways.
It's vBulletin. I've used phpBB, Invision, XMB, and SMF forums in the past. vBulletin is the best for features, community, and support.

- have the ability to see the ACTUAL date/time a post was made (rather than the whole "one day ago" deal)
I will see if I can find a modification for this that allows members to set their own date/time display settings.

- Ability to set a time/date for daily email subscriptions
I will see if I can find a mod or request this. At the moment I don't think one exists.

- have dates in user comments (on profile pages) in a font color other than the background color (right now it's black on black).
Whoops. o____o;; I'll fix that when I wake up.

- Ability to subscribe to organization/group threads in some manner.
When viewing a group thread click Discussion Tools -> Subscribe To This Discussion

- have forum stubs/jump at the BOTTOM of the thread
I will look for a fix for this and have it implemented as soon as I do.

The whole "Forum -> Community -> Feedback and Ideas -> (thread title)" is (I believe; could be wrong) known as bread crumbs or a stub or something.
Anyway, I use these to navigate back/forth between forums/categories/etc. They're nice and easy.
Right now, they're only at the top of the page. So in order to go from a thread back to the forum that thread is in, I have to scroll back up the (normally very long) page. THIS MAKES ME SADFACE.
Alternatively/also you could just add the forum dropdown box at the bottom of each page.
But I prefer bread crumbs.
I will look for a fix for this and have it implemented as soon as I can.

- auto-generate tags, or get rid of the tag form.
Auto tagging tends to add a lot of stupid tags that don't really describe the content of the thread. The feature itself isn't pointless as it's good for Search Engine keywords. (Good Keywords = Good Search Rankings.) I WILL see if I can fix the tag limit numbers so it doesn't keep acting like a retard when attempting to add tags.

- Get rid of post icons or add ones that don't suck
MY opinion is that smilies and emoticons are stupid to have for icons, especially for roleplay posts. The color orbs make a nice subtle way to differentiate between threads, and I like to give members options that can make their threads unique and stand out. Don't like it, don't use it. D:

[blink]THESE TAGS RIGHT HERE ONLY EXIST TO ANNOY PEOPLE AND HONESTLY I CANNOT EVER SEEING IT BEING USED IN A WAY THAT DOES NOT INDUCE MASSIVE FRUSTRATION[/blink]
But then again I haven't been to the insanity forum, so maybe that's okay over there.

This is also pointless since it's black on black. [Edit: OIC THEY DON'T WORK AT ALL! Maybe you should take them out of the editor, then?]
This doesn't work either.

[o]WTF IS THIS SHIT?[/o]
DO WE REALLY NEED THAT?

And basically all these needless tags. Maybe make them only applicable to the insanity forum if you really want to keep them?
These tags exist for people to have fun with customizing the text in their posts. (The ones you can't see are only working in IE.) YOU don't like them, but there's people who do. And since our dear members are kind individuals that don't run around using crazy bbcodes just to be annoying, there's no reason not to allow people the fun of having them. :D

Also, I suggest better images for these actions. These right now are kinda... Meh.
Well thank you. D:< If I get around with it, I'll nitpick about them and try to make them less... meh?

Anyway, thanks for the consideration, and I am not pissed. That is my "trying to be mockingly funny" voice. :TT:
*Hits with a newspaper.* ><

For the record, I am always happy to get suggestions for useful features or fixes, (adding the jump links, for instance, is a good idea) but not so happy to get complaints about stuff that is easily ignored and not used if you don't like it. o___o It's like walking in to a restaurant bathroom and telling the owners that they need to redecorate cause you hate their bathroom tiles. Does something that small REALLY matter? If it's not hindering members usability of the site, then there's no reason to complain about it. Especially if you can just ignore it.

If you're not sure what might be considered a hindrance, here is example!

Not liking the size of the Prefixes: Allowable complaint. The size was a problem on many browsers for several members, so we fixed it.

Not liking color orb icons: Crazy complaint. Seriously. >>;

Not liking blinky rainbow text: Understandable. That can suck when people are being dumb with it. Dun hurt anyone most of the time though.

Thank you, come again. XD

Thank you. Sorry for sounding brash. D;

As for the glow and shadow, they're not working in IE8.

Huh... D:< Well... IE sucks anyway! <<; >>; should be assassinated.

Glow and shadow not working in Firefox 3.6 either. :(

I heartily second the requests for a "real date/time" option to replace relative dating of posts. I spent like an hour looking for that in the settings, before realizing I was stuck with relative dates.

Also, YES to breadcrumb trails at bottom of pages, I hate having to drag the scroll bar

Finally, I LOVE IWAKU! AND EVERY PRECIOUS SNOWFLAKE THAT MAKES UP THE BEAUTIFUL BLIZZARD OF POSTS ON IT! *snuggle buggle ruggle juggle*

See, I think that's how you have to do it around here. >_>

Also, it might be nice to change the intro text on the front page:
IwakuRoleplay.com

Welcome to IwakuRoleplay.com your place for relaxed and frivolous roleplay!
to something wittier. Maybe have a forum competition/poll to determine Iwaku's subtitle? That might be fun~

Thanks for all the hard work, Diana and the other mods.

*notices the intro text*

>:{

*kicks Diana in the shins*

I hate having to drag the scroll bar
Kids.

In my day we had to type "/lrud" then use the arrow keys to manouver the browser window into place, then hit print screen with our nose before the window crashed, then reboot the system, use auto-recover to get the screencap, paste it into Microsoft Works as a b-peg and then print it out and put it in developing fluid while sacrificing a turkey.

FOR EVERY PAGE.

And the "WTFISTHISSHIT?" tabs are useful when doing Sakura-style happy announcements or making comic-style roleplays. It's best to keep these features, because a situation WILL inevitably arise when we need them.

*kicks Diana in the shins again*

Finally, I LOVE IWAKU! AND EVERY PRECIOUS SNOWFLAKE THAT MAKES UP THE BEAUTIFUL BLIZZARD OF POSTS ON IT! *snuggle buggle ruggle juggle*
/HUGGLESQUEEZE/

Me too! <3 I LOVE EVERY INCH OF EVERY PRECIOUS SNOWFLAKE <3

And the "WTFISTHISSHIT?" tabs are useful when doing Sakura-style happy announcements or making comic-style roleplays. It's best to keep these features, because a situation WILL inevitably arise when we need them.

YUSH~ <3 Those are my fun thingymabobbers ;D I love them!

You can hate on IE all you want I'm still using it. *Poses Masterfully like he just tamed a beast*

Diana... another thing about the black on black.

The other skins than just the green one, or at least the red one had that issue for Notifications as well. I swapped back to green because it was annoying me. And I'm on IE and I can't see the glow or shadow. Doubt its version 8 though, seems to new for the government.

ADDED:
- Footer Breadcrumbs

FIXED:
- time color on the Profile Thingers.

Still working on everything else. o___o

Thank you Dananachan :)
You always work so hard <3 We love you :D

Guh.. as much as i love the breadcrumbs at the bottom.. something I kept subconsciously wanting but never payed enough attention to realise, it's gonne take some time to retrain myself to em.. I keep scrolling up >>

When using the post a video function, the text area is white and the text you paste there is also white.

I have the same issue when posting a Picture > From URL. (Firefox 3.6)

I'll try to hunt down those style issues later. D:<

FOR NOW:

There is now a [top] link at the right bottom of every post. It'll take you to the top of the thread!

Nice, yeah? >:D MORE CAKES AND BOOZE! FEED MY MONSTER!

Status
Not open for further replies.