Bullying

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had my share of problems with bullies. In elementary it was physical, though back then I was tough, I'd dish it out as well. It did get to the point that I would start hiding in the washrooms rather than go out. When I finally did go out, it was because kids were beating up on my little bro. o.o I kinda went all Rambo on them. Needless to say, it was painful. My parents took me and my bro out of school and we were homeschooled.

Highschool years there was bullying, but this was more the psychological kind. By this time my attitude was mellow and I didn't have much self confidence. It's my own fault, to be sure. My mom's tried to help me with this but... let's just say that it continued way into adulthood. It's probably one of the reasons why I flee at first sight of confrontation. Even on online forums. o.o It's one of the reasons why it took me a bloody year before I decided to participate in this section of the forum.

It's kinda sad but it's why I try to get others to do what's necessary when bullied. And more often than not, the bullies themselves have problems which is causing them to react the way they are.

And more often than not, the bullies themselves have problems which is causing them to react the way they are.
Agreed, and those are also issues that need to be looked at and taken seriously. But I don't think the school's current approach of punishing the victims is helping either side.

I've actually been out of the loop in relation to the current school systems and how they work. What I recall is giving detentions and suspending the students. Neither really helps. Especially suspending a kid. Who's not happy to stay away from school? o.o

I believe the idea with suspension is that they expect the parents to handle discipline from home. But if their parents are the "Not my angel!" kinds of people, or simply too lazy to give out any discipline, it's basically a free vacation. :P

I believe the idea with suspension is that they expect the parents to handle discipline from home. But if their parents are the "Not my angel!" kinds of people, or simply too lazy to give out any discipline, it's basically a free vacation. :P
Exactly! And there's also the fact that some parents who do discipline their children don't do it right either. I'm not talking about corporal punishment for the most part, but mental abuse.

I taught quite a few home-schoolers, mostly little children, ages 5-8. I noticed that the bullies or really pushy ones, their parents pretty much acted the same with their children. Setting up way too high standards, getting upset at the children if they didn't do good enough. I can understand the latter, but not when a six year old child is literally having a panic attack and running away from school because he did bad on a spelling test, that is way more than crossing the line x.x

These same children would end up taking out their frustrations on the other kids, out of jealousy, or maybe just an easy target. I'd honestly feel bad when having to reprimand them, but you can't let them go scott free. I did try positive reinforcement, that seems to help at times. But these are just children. For teens, I don't think that's going to work. At least not so easily.

Bullying pretty much followed me everywhere when I was in primary school. Especially when I just arrived at Australia. And It didn't stop till I was halfway through grade 4.

I was teased meticulously because of my shitty english skills at the time, as well as simply being an outsider since I was one of the only Asians at my school (there was about one per class =_=) People wouldn't play with me, or even talk to me when I tried to be nice and all.

It sucked. It really did.

Crying was normal, losing my temper was normal, loneliness was normal, etc etc.

I guess this was where my life got hit by shit the first time ever.

since I was one of the only Asians at my school (there was about one per class =_=)
It was the same for me when I was in school, me, my brother, and a couple of other students were the only Indians in school. Strangely enough, that wasn't the reason why we were bullied. Our school was pretty racism free.

In the Amanda Todd case, a girl who committed suicide near my community, 4 (or more) teens were convicted of first degree premeditated murder because they instigated her suicide with death threats and I'm glad the British Columbian government actually is taking bullying seriously. (Also Amanda's 40 year old stalker in Holland was sentenced to life in prison)

• Love
Reactions: SacredWarrior
So maybe a bit of a hi-jack, but an important question nonetheless: how have all of you counter-acted bullying? Be that of yourself, a friend or even a stranger?

Conversely, have you ever been a bully? Why do you think that is and what did you do to change your ways?

Or has someone close to you ever bullied? How did you respond to that and why?

So maybe a bit of a hi-jack, but an important question nonetheless: how have all of you counter-acted bullying? Be that of yourself, a friend or even a stranger?

Conversely, have you ever been a bully? Why do you think that is and what did you do to change your ways?

This is actually an interesting question, because it stems back to why I was bullied in the first place. I was new to the school, ten years old. The 'cool' girls were nice to me and so were the guys. Anyway, there was this one girl that they all used to bully, and even on my first day, one of the girls was like "Don't hang out with her, she's a nerd." Being a nerd was a no-no back then. And heck, she was gangly, wore funny clothes, had a stutter and braces. Poor girl was like a prime target and poster child for bullying.

It pissed me off to be honest. Like... who were they to tell me who to befriend. Welp, I decided right then and there that I was going to be her friend. Along with her, I became friends with the youngest and shortest girl in my class, who was also a target of bullies. I was basically putting myself up to be bullied. But now that I think of it, it was satisfying. I didn't conform to what the others wanted. Hopefully they changed as they grew up.

I could never be a bully, but that's mainly due to my personality of being way too emotional, sympathetic and with the self confidence to fill a teaspoon. XD I was tough as a kid, but that faded as I grew up, unfortunately.

I was a major problem kid in elementary school and I definitely contributed to the sufferings of some, but we (those I hung out with) never singled anyone out. If anything, we targeted groups on equal grounds simply to cause drama and altercation. Assholes to everyone, so to speak.

Actually, in retrospect, I did some pretty weird shit; went to school on a holiday simply to shatter a window, scared bypassing kids with firecrackers, whipped each other with those nasty thin branches, had a tooth chipped in half when a friend punched me, stole flashy car valves during PE and pimped our bikes, tossed around ice snowballs, tried to fight some random dude with an aggressive dog because we thought he was a pedo, the list goes on — lots of weird, weird shit.

how have all of you counter-acted bullying? Be that of yourself, a friend or even a stranger?
I honestly can't think of any way I managed to counter-act the bullying that happened to me. After a while, it just sort of... stopped? I just remember that my bullying started to decrease a lot in 7th and 8th grade, and pretty much completely vanished once I got into high school. It might've been because I was getting older and was in a bigger school, and was therefore surrounded by a lot more people who didn't know that I was supposed to be a target. Plus, you know, emotional maturity and all that -- maybe I just stopped noticing the bullies as much? Maybe the bullies started to mature, themselves...?

Before that, though, I can't think of anything I actually managed to do to 'fight back' against them. I cried really easily as a kid (something I loathed about myself, and still do), and I also had some anger issues, as well. This led to pretty much every encounter with a bully going something like this:
  • A bully would make me cry. (Which wasn't difficult -- I used to cry even at the most minor things... It's not like I wanted to, it just sort of... happened.)
  • The fact that I was crying would make me feel a thousand times worse -- because I didn't want to cry, my crying gave the bullies more fuel to make me feel worse, aaaand there were teachers and other school staff who would pretty much roll their eyes in a sort of 'oh, there she goes again' fashion, because I was always the one who got in trouble for losing control and throwing fits.
  • Because, yeah, having the bullies see me cry and having the teachers see me cry was generally enough to throw me over the edge. Like I said, I had anger issues as a kid, and it did sort of get physical... but like... it's not like I had the strength or rage to relentlessly beat on anyone, or anything like that. Pretty sure the worst I ever did was throw a pencil at some kid once. Usually it only ever amounted to pushing and shoving. And bear in mind that I was (and still am) a petite little girl.
POINT IS!!! I had no effective way of combating bullies, because, well, in terms of dealing with them myself... I was a sobbing emotional mess who could in no way solve any of my own problems. And going to a teacher? Hah! It didn't matter how much I tried to explain that they were the ones picking on me first -- I was the only one who got in trouble, even if I didn't do anything physical. And then, even after being scolded, the bullies would whisper things like "crybaby" to me as they walked on past -- but I never got the chance to say anything about it. I recall spending large chunks of time crying in a corner somewhere. >_> At any rate, I was always only seen as the overdramatic one. The bullies were never the problem -- because, I mean, words can't hurt, right???

So yeah, I wasn't able to counter-act my bullies. I just sort of... survived them, I guess.

I was bullied from my last year of primary to the end of my first year in Secondary school. It wasn't a number of people randomly taking potshots at me for my height and weight, but rather just this one particular group of nasty fucks, that were nasty even for kids. They would physically pick on me and pretty much make me feel worthless for two years. did I ever contemplate suicide? probably once, and I can't recall that time since it was a rather dark time and dark place. the physical altercation got to a point that the "ring leader" thwacked me across my head with an iron pipe, school couldn't do anything about it since this was on the weekend. It started from being only school time up and to the point that nearly everyday inside or outside of school was just a nightmare. The only solace I had was either spending time inside playing games, watching shows or playing my guitar. I eventually started to not go to school, my attendance dropped down real fast, the times I did go I was so close to exploding with anger, which I did. I moved school to an Education Center that offered to help me with counselling, and eventually I changed my life around, for the better? well, maybe not at first.

It was a specific time at PE(physical Education, Gym class if you will) Class. We all decided to learn the basics of Rugby to which we even did a mock game. At this point I was one word away from losing it and so the "bully" pretty much had to make a remark of my PE gear(it wasn't the flashiest gear and it was kinda cheap, so I guess they had to make a comment on it? Pretty much "hello" would've set me off. I pretty much wait until he had the ball, I ran towards him, and dropkicked him. Not saying violence is the answer at all, but for me? that pretty much ended the bullying and made the staff actually start listening to me.

And yep, possibly the worst part of my school life I wished didn't happen. My first ever relationship with a girl that I crushed on ended with her pretty much hating me for years since it ended, we only reconciled about 4 years ago(we were around 15 at the time). I actually couldn't tell you why, I was at a strange place at the time and just tried to be the loveable asshole I am today(I'mjokin) and I failed at it? It took my close friends to go "Christ you're an idiot and ass, we don't want to hang with you anymore" for me to really look at myself and want to change.

Bullying is never going to go away. Kids that are bullies now are mostly bullies because either their parents aren't involved in their life, there's some sort of physical or emotional abuse, or the parents are bullies themselves. Holding parents responsible for their kids' actions it the best way to go, but that's only going to work if the parent is actually involved and sees that their child's behavior is a problem. There is also the fact that kids are extremely manipulative, and most of them know how to push their parents' buttons to get them pissed off at someone other than themselves. I know that my own kids will try to get me worked up over something by giving me only part of the facts first (The side that makes them look completely innocent, obviously.) and for a few minutes I'll be upset. Then I remember that there are two sides to every story, and if something did happen while they were at school, or with a neighbor, I would have heard something. I know my kids well enough that if I hear what they've done I can say 'Yeah, that's my kid....' or 'Nope. I know that didn't happen.' A lot of other parents don't even bother getting the other side of the story. They hear 'Mom, some boy hit me today!' without learning that their kid was shoving the boy first, then they go flying off the handle at the school who has probably done shit about the situation anyway.

Nearly all schools (On the East Coast at least) have a zero tolerance for bullying, which from what I've experiences means they have zero tolerance for hearing about the problem. They punish the kids being bullied for standing up for themselves, while the kids that are doing the bullying are made out to be the victims because the bullied kid finally did something about it. That only teaches kids that it's better to be victim then to stand up for yourself, and that's not right at all. I've already told every school that my kids have gone to what I tell my kids; If someone hits them, they hit back as hard as they can and don't stop till the other person's down. Is it right? People have told me it's not, but I'll be damned if I'm going to let my kids be victims. And if they get suspended for it? I'll take it up with the school board and question why my kid had to throw a punch to begin with. Of course I also told them if they throw the first punch they're on their own, because I'm not defending them.

The schools are partially responsible for the bullying problem as well. Most of us aren't with our kids when they're in school, unless you actually work at their school. If there's a problem it's generally up to our kids to tell us about it, and even then, if they haven't talked to their teacher parents are pretty much screwed. I can call up to my kids' schools and complain that something is going on, but they always say the same thing: 'We don't have any complaints about it'. If kids aren't reporting it, there's not a damn thing a parent can do. Now if the kids tell their teachers and nothing is being done, then there's all sorts of options available. However, telling a teacher is just as hazardous to a kid as anything else when it comes to bullying. Bully sees kid tell the teacher, sees teacher do jack shit, decided to up the bullying and really torment the kid until they're either too scared to tell on the bully again, or they see that it's a waste of time.

You can't change parents, but you can hold them responsible for their kids' actions. I've always believed that children who are constantly receiving discipline for bullying should be made to do community service, and the parents should be fined. Of course that's difficult, and there's a lot of problems that arise with the idea, but I honestly think that some steps need to be done to hold parents accountable for their kids behavior. If one of my kids broke a window, I would have to pay to replace the window. Why isn't it that way for bullying? As a parent, it's their job to teach their children that it's not okay to be a little asshole. Yes, there are some kids who no matter what you do are going to continue on, and most likely those kids need psychiatric help of some kind. But there are other kids who know what they're doing is wrong, and simply don't care because they can get away with it.

And answer truthfully. How many of you have been bullied in school, graduated and run into your bully later on? How many of those bullies have changed? Of all the bullies I've dealt with in high school, I can honestly say that not a single one of them changed. Sure, there was one guy who turned to religion, but he used religion to condemn and harass others (Mostly homosexuals). Even if they have appeared to change, chances are they've just found another method to bully people that isn't as appalling as their original.

Bullying is never going to go away. Kids that are bullies now are mostly bullies because either their parents aren't involved in their life, there's some sort of physical or emotional abuse, or the parents are bullies themselves. Holding parents responsible for their kids' actions it the best way to go, but that's only going to work if the parent is actually involved and sees that their child's behavior is a problem. There is also the fact that kids are extremely manipulative, and most of them know how to push their parents' buttons to get them pissed off at someone other than themselves. I know that my own kids will try to get me worked up over something by giving me only part of the facts first (The side that makes them look completely innocent, obviously.) and for a few minutes I'll be upset. Then I remember that there are two sides to every story, and if something did happen while they were at school, or with a neighbor, I would have heard something. I know my kids well enough that if I hear what they've done I can say 'Yeah, that's my kid....' or 'Nope. I know that didn't happen.' A lot of other parents don't even bother getting the other side of the story. They hear 'Mom, some boy hit me today!' without learning that their kid was shoving the boy first, then they go flying off the handle at the school who has probably done shit about the situation anyway.

Nearly all schools (On the East Coast at least) have a zero tolerance for bullying, which from what I've experiences means they have zero tolerance for hearing about the problem. They punish the kids being bullied for standing up for themselves, while the kids that are doing the bullying are made out to be the victims because the bullied kid finally did something about it. That only teaches kids that it's better to be victim then to stand up for yourself, and that's not right at all. I've already told every school that my kids have gone to what I tell my kids; If someone hits them, they hit back as hard as they can and don't stop till the other person's down. Is it right? People have told me it's not, but I'll be damned if I'm going to let my kids be victims. And if they get suspended for it? I'll take it up with the school board and question why my kid had to throw a punch to begin with. Of course I also told them if they throw the first punch they're on their own, because I'm not defending them.

The schools are partially responsible for the bullying problem as well. Most of us aren't with our kids when they're in school, unless you actually work at their school. If there's a problem it's generally up to our kids to tell us about it, and even then, if they haven't talked to their teacher parents are pretty much screwed. I can call up to my kids' schools and complain that something is going on, but they always say the same thing: 'We don't have any complaints about it'. If kids aren't reporting it, there's not a damn thing a parent can do. Now if the kids tell their teachers and nothing is being done, then there's all sorts of options available. However, telling a teacher is just as hazardous to a kid as anything else when it comes to bullying. Bully sees kid tell the teacher, sees teacher do jack shit, decided to up the bullying and really torment the kid until they're either too scared to tell on the bully again, or they see that it's a waste of time.

You can't change parents, but you can hold them responsible for their kids' actions. I've always believed that children who are constantly receiving discipline for bullying should be made to do community service, and the parents should be fined. Of course that's difficult, and there's a lot of problems that arise with the idea, but I honestly think that some steps need to be done to hold parents accountable for their kids behavior. If one of my kids broke a window, I would have to pay to replace the window. Why isn't it that way for bullying? As a parent, it's their job to teach their children that it's not okay to be a little asshole. Yes, there are some kids who no matter what you do are going to continue on, and most likely those kids need psychiatric help of some kind. But there are other kids who know what they're doing is wrong, and simply don't care because they can get away with it.

And answer truthfully. How many of you have been bullied in school, graduated and run into your bully later on? How many of those bullies have changed? Of all the bullies I've dealt with in high school, I can honestly say that not a single one of them changed. Sure, there was one guy who turned to religion, but he used religion to condemn and harass others (Mostly homosexuals). Even if they have appeared to change, chances are they've just found another method to bully people that isn't as appalling as their original.

I agree, and think you've the nail on the head pretty well there.

I've met my "main bully" about 10 years after the incident, and I don't want to say he's a complete angel, but he apologized to me about what he used to do, and we've been friends since, heck we are pretty much in two bands xD. I think it's a big 50/50 on whether bullies will change.

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
I agree, and think you've the nail on the head pretty well there.

I've met my "main bully" about 10 years after the incident, and I don't want to say he's a complete angel, but he apologized to me about what he used to do, and we've been friends since, heck we are pretty much in two bands xD. I think it's a big 50/50 on whether bullies will change.
Oh, I know some of them change. My best friend ran into his bully a year ago and the guy did a complete 180. He graduated, got married and had a daughter who passed away when she was five, and that pretty much changed him. It's sad that it had to take something like that to get him to see the type of person he was, but life works in mysterious ways. My bullies haven't changed though. One of the girls who tormented me the most in high school is still a Grade A bitch who insults and belittles everyone, and her kids are just like her. I actually felt sorry for them because they really didn't stand much of a chance being any other way with how she talked to them. Some people grow up and see their impact on the people around them, some have to get slapped in the face by reality to see it, but others are just a lost cause. =/

I counter-acted my bullying by kicking the guys in the nuts and grabbing the girls' hair and banging their heads against the nearest solid surface. Same goes for anyone who bullied my friends.

No I never have been a bully and will never be one. I kept to myself and was too quiet to be one.

My first response says all.

* aye, bullying is a cruel mistress. jokes are okay, but personal jabs can cross the line. i know we're living in a world wherein making ourselves laugh is a must in order to relieve our stress, but there's no need to make another feel bad about themselves. a'ight?

• Love
Reactions: Greenie

Overwhelming violence. If they kept going after I said stop and nothing was done my response was usually sudden and without warning. It wasn't good in the slightest because it gave me a reputation for having a short temper. The instances I recall are..
  • Hitting a kid with an entire chair after he kept taking things from my backpack, kicking my chair, and finally cutting the straps to my backpack before poking me with them.
  • Hitting another kid in the face with his own drum sticks after he forcefully tried to ram one in my ass when I was bent over. It snapped on his face.
  • Tennis racket to a kids face after he threw the sports equipment in a pond and had his friends say I did it.
  • Book to face after a student twice my size kept kicking my fingers anytime they were near an edge of my desk.
  • Kicked a kid down a set of stairs in front of the deputy after he stole my GBA then had the gall to play it in front of the SRO.
Mind you, I was never disciplined for fighting a single time beyond my two years of middle school.

Been the bully once or twice. You enjoy not being lower on the social food chain once you've been on the bottom for so long (never did anything physical, it was always what I thought as being kidding jabs). Quit being that way through school because more flies with honey than vinegar.

As for the last one.. Can't think of anything at this particular moment.

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: 1 person
Hitting another kid in the face with his own drum sticks after he forcefully tried to ram one in my ass when I was bent over. It snapped on his face.
Now that's a kinky-ass bully.

Status
Not open for further replies.