Bullying - The causes and how to prevent it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate, and I repeat, I absolutely hate that mindset. For one, you're making assumptions, don't make blood assumptions. The whole "a bully comes from a broken home" is just totally bullcrap that parents spew to children to make them feel better. You don't know why they're a bully, and you won't unless you ask (and they likely won't even give you a proper answer). It could be any number of reasons; social pressure is one, superiority complex is another. Sometimes they're just a heartless bastard. Regardless of the cause, coming from a broken home should NOT be the go to reason for why a bully's a bully. Even IF it is the main cause, that doesn't mean it holds true in every case, so you still shouldn't assume. Honestly, I can't stress it enough, making assumptions like that is just a bad idea in general.

Read my previous post. I was suggesting a broken home was one of many reasons a kid might bully, not the definitive one.

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Read my previous post. I was suggesting a broken home was one of many reasons a kid might bully, not the definitive one.
Don't get me wrong, I'm well aware of that. But far too many times have I've seen people attribute bullying to a broken home without any definitive proof and without even considering other possible causes. Your statement merely reminded me of that fact, so I wanted to say something.

Don't get me wrong, I'm well aware of that. But far too many times have I've seen people attribute bullying to a broken home without any definitive proof and without even considering other possible causes. Your statement merely reminded me of that fact, so I wanted to say something.

And that's fair, I have a few things I commented on before to express my displeasure at something.

In my own personal bullying experience, I'm pretty sure I was victimized because I wasn't a cool or popular kid by jackasses who were trying to impress their friends. Having run into individuals from that group later in life, I don't even think some of them remember doing it.

And that's fair, I have a few things I commented on before to express my displeasure at something.

In my own personal bullying experience, I'm pretty sure I was victimized because I wasn't a cool or popular kid by jackasses who were trying to impress their friends. Having run into individuals from that group later in life, I don't even think some of them remember doing it.
I was lucky enough to grow up in a community with very few bullies in it. I was teased a little bit in my earlier years and in Jr. High there's was this issue with this one guy holding a grudge over me, but that's a long story. In general, though, getting bullied at school wasn't really a problem for me. Cyberbullying, however, I experience plenty of, and none of it is all that pleasant.

My main experiences with bullies was during Grades 3-5. Those years having had a number of factors involved.

1. It was a brand new school. As in every student was the new kid, which as a result led to a lot of scared and desperate children frantically trying to climb the social ladder and establish dominance and superiority.

2. My Autism Therapy was a little less than half way through at this point in my life, so there were still a lot of social skills I lacked which were being worked on. Which had me easily painted as an outsider.

3. My Grade 3 Teacher outright hated me.

To explain more clearly, like #2 highlighted my Autism was still a big thing at the time and required more specialized therapy and teaching techniques in the classroom.
This led to my Principal (who was why I changed schools. He was the only principal willing to help with the therapy rather than ban it from school premises) having my teacher sit down with my main therapist at the time to brief him on my current situation, need's I had at the time etc. My teacher hated this because he saw it as someone else coming in telling him how to do his job. Which instantly put me in his bad books before we even met so he would take every opportunity he could to talk down to me, punish me for the smallest or circumstances or call me out with stuff like "You don't deserve what the rest of the class is getting so you should be grateful". Essentially giving the entire student body the unconscious message of "It's ok to pick on this kid, because even the teacher is doing it".

This eventually led to me being Home Schooled in Grade 6 because by the end of Grade 5 my self confidence was completely and utterly destroyed. Where I was instantly hostile to anyone who I didn't already know and have a history with. Now, my Grade 5 teacher however was a complete and utter saint. The total opposite from my 3rd Grade teacher and did everything in his power to make me feel special, valued etc (and to this day he remains my favourite teacher as a result) but he came a bit too late, where the combined crap I took from the school for 2 years earlier had it so being pulled out at the time was still what my parents, therapists and teachers felt was in my best interest for the following year.

3. My Grade 3 Teacher outright hated me.

I had a cruel, cruel Grade 3 teacher. She would pretty much treat some of the children in that class like rubbish. One prime example being this. I had a friend who had ADHD and ADD. He was fidgety, he didn't listen and learned slowly. When he was asked what the one number was, he said it as "One Furd". He had speech problem as well. As snide as that teacher was, she went.

"So the answer is "One Furd!"

There were times where she would grab someone by the arm or pinch them. She made some students cry as well. I use to think some words were funny and she bullied me over it.

Another case was somewhat recent. It happened in 2011. Started around 2008/09 era. I had a so called friend who pretty much started to treat me like trash and make fun of me what I did. Mocked me and so on. Which was seriously hurtful and painful. They would make fun of me, copy my Ask.Fms (Which I deleted) and even sabotage something to make fun of me. Of course, no one did a fuckin' thing. They sent their troll friends after me around 2010/11 era and nearly drove me into suicide.

Things went quiet when I took a break from a few places. I received an apology sometime around 2013 from that person. I accepted it and we parted our ways. They learned from their mistakes and admitted they were insanely mean to me, my likes and my opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.