Bucking Brontos- A Prehistoric Western

What sort of dinosaurs should be allowed? (Examples shown by each choice)

• Hell Creek Only (Tyrannosaurus yes, Tarbosaurus no, Stegosaurus no)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Late Cretaceous Only (Tyrannosaurus yes, Tarbosaurus yes, Stegosaurus no)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Western North America Only (Tyrannosaurus yes, Tarbosaurus no, Stegosaurus yes)

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Full Jurassic Park-style mayhem! (All dinosaur species yes)

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters
D

daird

Original poster
E1qh1N80BeA5yNJG8NHlC-qHwyn9mevYS7UiSEBUaq7Hr7Dp2jhJccwi_eWbr4bZFMrObzBNRKjyTrMPNR45xsNFQUzCIJOBZQh_tk-f2gXZbyf8p9fLz9QIfQMTiSoEX36pxzGO

mUCwuQqW8RDCKGmD6bjmLNOEkEW46xlZpJnaMINycHI1JYRqBMRJ4BD8-Eg6nHN3tP8o330i4z7bqPqwJEZfCcOzD32Obyd7fVARz6PNodZHDS2c5Qmos8KTIg0vVfKkkzWMWfcG

You ride into the little town of Hornbrook, Montana, the wind kicking up dust in your face. You pay it no mind, though- after a day on the trail, you need civilization's comforts desperately. A sign off to your left proclaims the building it's on to be the Red Frill Saloon, and you head inside for a drink. A rough-looking man in a hat made of a strange, scaly blue leather motions you to join him.

"New in town, I take it? Well, Hornbrook's not like other towns in Montana. To understand her, you need to understand her history, and to understand her history, you need to go back well before she was founded." The stranger takes a slow sip of his whiskey. "Back around… oh, 1790 or so, some Frenchie got this strange idea that there were animals in the distant past that weren't around today. Most people, honestly, didn't pay it much mind. If they were extinct, well, we'd never see them. Weren't really relevant. But as we pushed back the boundaries of our knowledge and filled in the blank spots in the map, a funny thing happened. Turns out, extinct is a relative term."

"It was like the ultimate gold rush, as everyone wanted to get their hands on a living, breathing dinosaur. And not just individuals, either- governments tamed great numbers for their armies. The British took full advantage of the vast herds of Alberta, while the Spanish focused their efforts on the giants of Argentina. And when the Civil War started, Yankees and Rebs alike rode to war on mountains of fangs and scales. Heck, I saw the charge of Lee's Tyrannosaur Corps at Gettysburg with my own eyes." You note that the speaker doesn't say which side he fought on.

"After the war, things settled down, for the most part. There's been some arguments between Uncle Sam and John Bull over the boundary line, which leaves some folks nervous, given how close we are to it. But mostly, things are pretty peaceful. We tame dinosaurs and send some back East, use most of 'em here. Which reminds me- if you're hungry, old George back there makes a mean Triceratops steak."​

So, obviously, this is going to be a Western set RP with dinosaurs. However, there's a bit of a catch- you can play as a human, or a dinosaur. Now, these are not talking Dinotopia/Land Before Time dinosaurs, though a little bit of anthropomorphizing is okay. I've got a poll up to see what sort of dinosaurs we're going to have available. With that said, I welcome your comments and ideas.​

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-21_23-13-49.jpeg
    upload_2018-8-21_23-13-49.jpeg
    17.3 KB · Views: 1
Ok, I haven't a clue how this hasn't garnered interest. I probably shouldn't sign up for more RPs, tbh, but if this thing gets more interest, consider me interested also!

Well you had my curiosity with dinosaurs but you have my attention with a western.

Reactions: Red Thunder
Potential interest.

Lol. Apparently there's all kinds of this stuff on Pinterest.
7E7A5E70-4835-4B91-B73A-7EDC981D14FD.jpeg

So! Doing a bit of research, and the term "dinosaur" is reported to have been coined in 1842 by paleontologist Richard Owen.

The question, then: when does the RP take place, and how much influence does real history relevant to dinosaur discovery and classification have on the RP?

Also, are we good for both a person and a dino? Because I'm picturing a bounty hunter / US Marshal with a Utahraptor partner, a la a police K9.

Last edited:
Takes place in the 1870s, and the history of dinosaur discovery is not really relevant in this RP, to make it easier. You can have more recently discovered stuff like T. rex and Utahraptor (That's my favorite dino, by the way. Excellent choice!) You can also have a human-dino partnership, like you're suggesting.

Takes place in the 1870s, and the history of dinosaur discovery is not really relevant in this RP, to make it easier. You can have more recently discovered stuff like T. rex and Utahraptor (That's my favorite dino, by the way. Excellent choice!) You can also have a human-dino partnership, like you're suggesting.
Awesome! Thanks for the quick reply!

My characters will be up Thursday or Friday- I'm going with a dinosaur rancher and a wild Albertosaurus.

Hello, is this still open because i'm gonna be honest this sounds amazing!