BS Game Overs/Deaths

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SacredWarrior

Original poster
Whenever we die or get a Game Over, we automatically assume it's because we suck at the game right? Well that's not always the case. There are times when developers (or fellow gamers) will be assholes to you and say "Fuck you and everything you stand for!"

What are some bullshit Game Overs and deaths that you've suffered?

Pretty much the QTEs in this game and the climax with Jubelius. Do I look like an astronaut to you Platinum?!!

Most of us died because of the damn countdown! It's even worse when you're fighting Data Demyx!

All of the PS2 remake of Shinobi.

All of it.

• Love
Reactions: Darog
The inevitable YOU DIED where the Anor Londo archers chill.

That's BS if I ever saw it.

Its happened in multiple games, but the worst for me would be The Evil Within. By nature it's kind of designed as a trial, and error game. I can admit when I did something stupid like ran right at Laura ( 4-armed, spider lady ) and got killed that was my fault. About 90% of my deaths though were just like "Oh there just happened to be a trip wire, only as thick as a strand of hair, at ankle height, covered by shadows."

Its happened in multiple games, but the worst for me would be The Evil Within. By nature it's kind of designed as a trial, and error game. I can admit when I did something stupid like ran right at Laura ( 4-armed, spider lady ) and got killed that was my fault. About 90% of my deaths though were just like "Oh there just happened to be a trip wire, only as thick as a strand of hair, at ankle height, covered by shadows."
OH MY GOD FUCKING LAURA.

FUCK THAT BOSS.

DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY TIMES I DIED BEFORE I FIGURED OUT THAT THERE WERE FOUR LEVERS YOU HAD TO TURN BEFORE YOU COULD PROCEED? LIKE YOU COULDN'T MAKE THAT MORE OBVIOUS, GAME DEVS??? YOU COULDN'T LIKE, GIVE ME A HINT OR SOMETHING?? 2 WERE EASY ENOUGH TO FIND BUT THE OTHER TWO WERE LIKE, WOW I DIDN'T EVEN REALIZE THAT HAD TO DO WITH THIS BOSS FIGHT.

AND THEN THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN IN ONE BOSS BATTLE, BUT TWO DIFFERENT BOSS BATTLES, BECAUSE IF PULLING LEVERS YOU DIDN'T KNOW EXISTED WHILE FIGHTING A HARD AS FUCK BOSS WASN'T HARD ENOUGH, LET'S ADD A MAZE ELEMENT TOO!!!

FUCK THE EVIL WITHIN.

That being said, my contribution to this thread is OUTLAST. I forget all the details, but once the main evil dude turns into a black fog/mist, if that black fog touches you it's game over. But the game doesn't say it's game over. It just fades to black. And it stays there. And you have to slowly come to the realization that you dun fucked up, and you have to completely restart the game to get back to wherever your last autosave was.

Speaking of autosaves, The Evil Within had some of the most random/worst timing of them... Oh my god, the ending to that game was not NEARLY as good as it needed to be to put up with that bullshit gameplay. AND I WAS ON EASY MODE

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Legens Legentis
In a PS2 games I have, Neopets the darkest faerie.... A North America exclusive, apparently.

SOME OF THE PITS ARE AUTO GAME OVER. SOME AREN'T.

Doesn't help that if you die you have to reload at the most recent save... And don't know if they are insta-death until you fall in..

ARK. Oy. Note to all game developers: if you really want to turn people off PvP, make sure they have no protection when logged off.

There's a boss in DreadOut where, before it dies, you must stop pressing buttons in order to play dead to make the boss drop you rather than crush you as its final act before it dies. Nothing tells you this and if you've been aware of trends in video games since... almost ever you'd naturally assume this is a moment where you have to mash the controls and break out of the boss' grip. Which gets you killed.

I mean I love DreadOut but all the boss fights were terrible.

Vanitas! D8 His last fight is so dumb. I don't even know what triggered the quicktime for him. I think I got it through a fluke. It took me like 10 continue screens to get there.

Oh shit, I completely forgot about the Armadillo boss in Ninja Gaiden II. Upon dying it detonates in a massive nuclear blast, and you're supposed to simply block the explosion or you instantly die.

Also, any time a new enemy is introduced in Bayonetta, if you're low on health and don't immediately dodge when the enemy's intro cutscene is over, you're dead.

• Love
Reactions: SacredWarrior
Quick Time Events that require constant hands on the controller and god help you if you dare to watch the cutscene. I hate qtes that spell death if you don't press it quick enough. Resident Evil 4 is the most infamous game I can think of for it. That Krauser cutscene can go fornicate itself!

Instant kills if the enemy grabs you despite the character having a way to fight back and the enemy does not look like it can instant kill you. Same with arenas that have BS barriers. I'll accept my death if I am kicked into spikes or a barrier of energy that is explained. Some light that is there because erm..... cheapness? No.

Teleporation spam that can stunlock you. FUCK. YOU.

Stunlocking. COME ON! How the heck is one meant to fight if stunlock spam is applied to one?

Dying because you went past the no-go zone but the game doesn't explain it and just kills you.

Dark Soul's Manus. FUCK. YOU! YOU CHEAP BOSS! You're not challenging because of your moves. You are challenging because of spamming attacks! BED OF CHAOS IS EASILY THE BIGGEST FUCK YOU AND YOUR BUILD BOSS in the entire genre. It's dumb luck most of the time. Easy to be firestormed if you are near the end. Or swiped in mid air or both. Oh and did i mention that the arena crumbles thus adding the gaps?

Unblockable attacks that look blockable but will kill you in one hit. That's just cheap.

Skyrim's finishers on the PC. If I have health left, I do not expet to get killed via a finishing move that is unblockable.

Spam. I hate AI that spam moves that can stunlock you, barely give you time to recover before stunlocking you, stunlocking you repeatly, spamming stuff that can be blocked by an item that can then leave you open to more stunlocking.

Trial and Error deaths. Dying because I went down the path that had no indication of any danger and then getting spiked is annoying.

Reactions: Kitti
I am not sure if these should count- but the Gigyas fight in Earthbound and Mother. The way you beat them is through singing and pray, abilities that usually don't have any good effect when fighting the enemy. Oh, and the mew dungeon in Explorers Red/ Blue Rescue Team ( the whole deleveling and Mew being hidden as a normal enemies ( and don't get me started on the random Monster House that appears that are insta-deaths since 9/10 you are two pokemon fighting an onslaught of enemies... this goes especially true when the monster house appears right by the stairs... and monster houses are a constant thing to worry about throughout the mystery dungeon series)

Ah, yes. Deleveling. DELEVELING MY ASSHOLE! ...

I may have tried to conjor the spirit of AVGN and failed hard. Deleveling is a really crap mechanic and can turn a well built character into "Huzzah! I, Garland shall knock thee down!" *is curbstomped because attacks do nothing*

A BS game-over/death is needing a certain weapon to do proper damage and it runs on ammo. Naturally, most of the time, one will not know this thus having a "OH COME ON!" moment before turning into a raging player.

Sudden invinciblity that is not explained in the game. Ok, so i'm kicking your arse. I'm winning and this has been a challenging fight. You turn invincible and I can't do shit against you. It turns into dodge the attacks until it wears off and is never explained. Only, the attacks are one hit kills. You dare to counter it, one hit kill. Ok, this may not exist but if it did, it would piss me off.

Hidden long range enemies that can shoot you but if you have the same weapon as them, suddenly, it is ineffective range. BULL.

SHIT.

Jinpachi Mishima

Shao Kahn

And finally, This Xenoverse 1 bullshit

These are total, grade A, unadulterated, concentrated, prime cut bullshit.

• Love
Reactions: SacredWarrior
Status
Not open for further replies.