Brothers in Arms: The story of one tank crew in the face of extreme adversity

Status
Not open for further replies.
He slowly followed uptop, groaning as he looked at Samantha with... Distrust. Or curiosity? Samantha was a rather... American name as opposed to the German names... Belmar as well. But he did not argue, entering the tank after her as he went to the back in the engine room. "You are the?..."
@Sam

@ResistingTheEnlightened

She slid down the hatch and into the tank, crouching down in the cramped interior. She slid her way down into the driver's position, getting a feel for it. "Driver" she answered Johan. She gripped the controls and nodded at the way they felt, satisfied.

@ResistingTheEnlightened

She slid down the hatch and into the tank, crouching down in the cramped interior. She slid her way down into the driver's position, getting a feel for it. "Driver" she answered Johan. She gripped the controls and nodded at the way they felt, satisfied.

Johan gave a surprised "Ah", hesitating for a moment as he began counting each HE and Anti-Armor rounds available in the Panzer. "Do you know who the radio operator is?"

"Hey, you said your name was Johan right? My name is Leon. Looks like we will be working together. I'm the gunner." Leon said as he extended his hand too the loader. "The radio operator is still outside the tank with the commander."

"Hey, you said your name was Johan right? My name is Leon. Looks like we will be working together. I'm the gunner." Leon said as he extended his hand too the loader. "The radio operator is still outside the tank with the commander."

Johan gave a pleasant smile, extending his hand as he held onto Leons firmly, shaking it as he looked at the turret. "Then it is a pleasure working with all of you! Just hope this tank can support us..."

Johan clapped his hands, smiling profoundly. "Well then Commander Katz!

Mind we take it for a spin?"

"I hope you don't bruise easily, Frouline. The driver gets the roughest treatment from what I've heard." Leon said "Hey Johan, how quickly can you load a shell?" He asked as far as Leon was concerned, he had one of the top three toughest jobs in the tank. The first being the commander followed by the driver and he was dead last with the loader and radio operator having the easiest jobs in the crew.

"I hope you don't bruise easily, Frouline. The driver gets the roughest treatment from what I've heard." Leon said "Hey Johan, how quickly can you load a shell?" He asked as far as Leon was concerned, he had one of the top three toughest jobs in the tank. The first being the commander followed by the driver and he was dead last with the loader and radio operator having the easiest jobs in the crew.
Sam laughed slightly. "I think I'm more than capable." she said as she opened up the driver's hatch, popping her head through it so she could see better outside. She turned her head, looking at the commander smiling. "Oh, hello there sir."

He held up five fingers, still counting the ammunition rounds "In five seconds or less. If more then... Well, you can figure that out." He kept counting and finished 52 HE rounds and 24 Anti-Armor rounds. I could make do with this."

"Yes, why don't we fire her up. I did get us permission to go to the range and even fire a few test shots." He climbed his way on top of the tank and leaned against the turret, "Now, Fraulein Balmer. Take us there!" he said with a smile and a chuckle. Katz was already liking his crew. They seemed to be getting along, and there was very little issue with Sam being part of the crew. If it came down to it though, another issue might come with her. He didn't want the other crew members dying to save her anymore than they would the other male members. He kept these thoughts private and tried not to think about it too hard.

Leon sat in his seat, pulled out his knife and a smooth stone and began to hone the edge to be razor sharp edge while he waited for them to get to the range. The rhythmic scratch of the stone sliding along the steel edge could be heard before the tank was fired up, but Soldat Jaëger didn't stop sharpening the knife until the tank came to a stop. He had gotten the top spot in the hand to hand training he took part in, but was slightly surprised when he was assigned to be a tank crew.

Johan smiled, looking at the engine as it turns on "Now we show victory!" He yelled out in a fluent German, having one HE round ready for practice. "Lets us take our Black Pearl to practice!"

"Lets go! We do not have the whole day to stay in the same place, move the tank!" He yelled out in a pleasant voice, his fingers gently rubbing the HE round. "We shall be the best tankers than even the ShutzStaffel!"

((Fuck it, I'm rolling with it.)

Sam smiles and begins flipping switches, turning the fuel injection and such on, before pressing a small red button on the control panel. The tank's engine comes to life, purring like a tiger. She grins and pushes the control's forward. The tank lurches, moving forward like a lumbering giant. She stops and turns it towards the practice field, eventually bringing the beast to a lurching stop when they reach their destination.

She looks up to Katz and does a salute. "We're in firing position, sir!"

Johan sat there, his smile turning into a low frown. "Well, come on, show happiness! Let us get this tank moving!" He smiled again and laughed nervously "This Panzer will surely be the best of the best!"

((Fuck it, I'm rolling with it.)

Sam smiles and begins flipping switches, turning the fuel injection and such on, before pressing a small red button on the control panel. The tank's engine comes to life, purring like a tiger. She grins and pushes the control's forward. The tank lurches, moving forward like a lumbering giant. She stops and turns it towards the practice field, eventually bringing the beast to a lurching stop when they reach their destination.

She looks up to Katz and does a salute. "We're in firing position, sir!"
The Unteroffizier had a wicked smile, finally able to fire a real Heavy Explosive round. He looked through the small aiming hole, turning and moving the turret head "Ready..." He raised the barrel to the target. "Steady..." He accounted for the wind and it's movements. "Ready to fire sire!"

Katz had made his way into the commander's hatch and was standing on his seat looking out of the hatch. "Fire!" He shouted with a smile on his face. He had pulled in a favor so that the crew could fire a few rounds of proper High Explosive ammo before having to switch to target rounds. He thought it would not only be fin, but give the gunner a bit of experience with the ballistic properties of the shells.

H
Katz had made his way into the commander's hatch and was standing on his seat looking out of the hatch. "Fire!" He shouted with a smile on his face. He had pulled in a favor so that the crew could fire a few rounds of proper High Explosive ammo before having to switch to target rounds. He thought it would not only be fin, but give the gunner a bit of experience with the ballistic properties of the shells.
Johan quickly put the HE round inside the barrel, closing the hatch, and finally firing the cannon! He held his ears as he laughed from the sound breaking "BOOM!" He laughed and looked at the captain, giving two thumbs up.

"Hey, that's my job, Johan!" Leon snapped, clearly annoyed that someone did his share of the work. "Last time I checked, you were only supposed to put a shell into the canon and close the breach while I get the canon lined up with the target and send the projectile down range. Stick to your job and yours alone. When I die then you can get in my seat and fire the round. Next time you try doing my job before I'm dead, I'll make sure you get my point in a very painful way. Understand?" He finished as he held the Bowie knife in front of the other man's face with flames of anger burning in his eyes.

Leon soon found the barrel of a Luger pressed against the back of his head. "If you threaten any of my crew, I will respond with as much fervor as you do. Do you understand?" Katz's tone was suddenly much more serious than it had been.

Status
Not open for further replies.