Broken Rose

Chrys nodded her head in understanding as she turn her head toward him, her pale eyes staring into space as she listened to him quietly. She smiled a little shook her head at his question, after living in the dark all her life there was no reason for her to be frightened, she was also lucky enough to have the trees warn her about things that she could no see so why there was something always watching out for her she felt safe.

"It's nice to meet you Adam, and no I'm not frightened at all. I came out here because it was night." She said to him as she turned her head to look forward again, her hands resting on the log as she leaned back a bit and closed her eyes. "I came out to enjoy nature before the snow shut me away...I really can't leave when it gets to the usual 3 feet of snow around here. What about you? Why are you out this evening?" She asked him kindly.

"I'm. . . not sure actually. I just kind of wanted to walk around in the snow."

Never before had the entity been questioned or even considered thinking about why it always wandered about. Adam had never thought deeply about why he was often wandering the woods or the town of Rosalin in his dreams. Perhaps it was his brain's way of coping with how he kept himself imprisoned within the mansion. At least in his dreams he could explore the world without fear of rejection. Sitting here with this strange but sweet blind girl proved that much. No one in the real world would ever treat him like this even if they were blind.

". . .I don't really even get out that much."

[size=+2]Ivan[/size]

Glass in hand, Ivan rose from the booth, and lifted his glass to his friends who'd gathered out this night in celebration of his success. "My good friends, I cannot find the words to express how happy I am that you could all come out, and celebrate this night with me." A strange phrase from a man who always knew what to say. Buying himself a moment, by taking a drink of his Scotch on the rocks, Ivan then sat down, sliding an arm around Allura. If anything, he was glad to see his friend out, and about for once, as she was most reclusive. The neon lights, loud music, and alcohol would do her some good, or at the least, let her loosen up, and relax some. "Aren't you glad that you decided to come out now? If it weren't for my induction, I think everyone would still be getting just as drunk." He finished with a laugh, as he talked to Allura.

"BLUUUGHAAAH!"

Turning his eyes towards a table, Ivan saw Reece sprinting for the bathroom, holding his mouth. "Oh hell..." He mumbled, and lightly rubbed his forehead. He'd invited Reece out as a means to get some life into the young man, and it seemed that the life wasn't sitting well in his stomach. "Excuse me everyone, I'll be right back... I'll be right back Allura." Ivan said softly to Allura, as he rose from the booth, and made his way after Reece, and another man who trailed after the boy. Smelling at the air, his eyes narrowed slightly, but he left his thoughts be. Assumptions were never a good thing. Pushing the door open, Ivan stuck his head in to see Reece hunched over the sink. "Reece, are you alright? I think we should be getting you a glass of water, if you've had too much to drink."

Chrys nodded her head a bit as she listened to him, wanting him to know she was paying attention since she couldn't look him in the eye. She frowned a but as he said he didn't get out much, it was never healthy to stay inside for long periods of time whether you were human or a nymph.

"You shouidn't stay inside so much, it's not good for you. I mean, I'm blind and I try to get out every day even in winter. If you can't get out then you should bring nature to you. Maybe start gowing some indoor plants or getting some flowers. I do that when winter comes around." She said kindly, her intentions kind.

More than before she brought up the basic truth about being a recluse. Yet these suggested ways of approaching life were instantly resisted and rejected. The sound of a sigh came at the end of all her suggestions. Not that the entity or the will behind it resented her for trying to be kind but it felt that it was utterly hopeless to find happiness anymore. Especially out in a world that had taken everything dear to Adam away. Wealth honestly meant nothing to him, despite how desperately he fought to protect what was left of his adoptive parent's finances from those who would try to steal it away. Just memories and material possessions remained now.

Only someone who cannot see could be so optimistic toward me. . .

"No. I can't really go outside. Anytime at all. You're too kind. You don't understand Chrysanthemum. No one should have to see what I look like."

Looking directly at the phantasm, one could see the handsome features of a face that once gained love and attention. Only now one could also see through those features into the blackness of night behind the apparition. Whether by chance or fate sudden breeze rustled the ghostly bandages until the ones closest to Chrysanthemum nearly touched the girl. Perhaps none of this mattered nearly as much as the fact he seemed to have opened up a touch to the blind girl.

But then again the will behind the phantasm believed this was all a dream.

Chrys smiled sadly at him, his words only making her feel bad. Whatever had happened to him really brought him down, it would not be easy for him to move on from whatever it was. She closed her eye for a moment in silence before opening then and looking in the direction of his voice. She smiled a little before reaching out with oone of her hands, moving closer to his shoulder.

"I know this may not mean much coming from someone like me but I think you are a beautiful person...Even though you may not be beautiful by some peoples standards you are by mine. I feel something kind about you, I think it is in you voice. You speak with such a lovely voice that I can't imagine calling you anything else. It think that your fear of judgement is holding you back. Don't let the world get to you, be strong and you can conquer anything." She said, finishing with a small smile and a pat on his shoulder if she had touched him.

She then laughed a bit. More at herself than anything else.

" Sorry about that, didn't mean to give you a speech. I just hate to hear sad people, I feel the need to make everyone happy." She said as she gave another small laugh.

The music was loud and the people were loud all around in this place. Allura felt small and slightly intimidated here, especially looking like a girl. As fulcanelli, she'd been to grand balls but this was different on every level. A small twinge of worry at her garments caused her to look down and smooth the gauzy cream skirts. Ivan was gone to check on Reece, leaving her amongst a few other people that she'd never really talked with before. Allura smiled nervously to each of them and took a drink from the cocktail she held in her hand.

Allura was trying not to make herself a burden to have around, especially since she wasn't putting aside the possibility that she'd been invited out of pity to this affair. As it was, she was caught between being happy that she was here and worrying that everyone here was lying entirely. She tried to keep her hopes open for the best, though. After all, these were people that she'd lived around for years. Surely she'd have known if they were bad people, right?

It seemed a bad omen, though, if not for her but for poor Reece, that he would start off the night being ill. She bit her lip, considering following him to check on him but Ivan and another guy had already taken off after him. Allura sat at her lonely table, kicking her feet around a bit, before she finished her drink and decided to get another. It was embarrassing to drink alone but she had little else to do. When her drink was handed to her over the counter, she passed over the money to the bartender and debated whetehr to go back to the table or wait here instead.

Chrysanthemum's words were continuously full of an undeserved kindness. The will behind the phantasm could not fathom why this dream was so dead set on trying to comfort him. Perhaps it was to make up for the horror of the night before? Nearly half a decade had gone by since dream or reality had reached out to him in such a way. The way she spoke about his voice felt genuine enough but he could not believe that his own voice could really sound so pleasant. It couldn't be that great. But then again he had never really focused on it before.

Is she. . . she's actually trying to touch me?

Despite how drunk a certain somebody had been when they fell asleep, this was indeed rather sobering to witness. Never in his dreams or even in real life had he willing let someone touch him. Physicians examining his condition were the only ones who had the permission to touch his badly burned body since the incident. Everything else was an accident. But as Chrysanthemum tried to touch it's shoulder, the world around the entity almost felt as if it slowed down. Revulsion at the thought of this kind blind girl making the mistake of touching it, the phantasm jerked it's shoulder back instinctively.

"You can't be real."

It was both compliment and condemnation.

"You shouldn't waste your time on me. Nothing can help what's happened to me. Nothing will fix it. No one would want anything to do with me unless there was money in it for them. That's the only reason anyone would put up with me."

As the phantasm spoke it rose up from standing beside her and started to circle the log in an agitated pacing. The voice started out simply sounding sorry for himself, but as he ranted it grew angry and resentful. Something deep inside the entity had a chip on it's shoulder.But perhaps more than anything he resented that his subconscious had sent a beautiful blind girl to him tonight. Adam couldn't enjoy it. The combination was too perfect to accept, with that kind personality on top if it.

"If you could see me you would understand. There's no hope for me. None."

A clenched fist made the winds around him briefly swirl in a way different than nature. Snowflakes circled around the entity as though pulled into orbit. Miles away, a rich recluse's hand balled into a fist due to something he must have been dreaming about. Whatever it was had the disfigured youth terribly worked up. Conflicting emotions were competing with one another inside a somewhat unstable mind. Part of that mind was lonely. . . it wanted to let the girl help. But the other part couldn't accept love from some dream girl. . . because that just meant it was part of his subconscious. And that meant only he could love himself. That no one else would ever love him. Which was pathetic.

"Do you really feel the need to make everyone happy? Is it so generalized? I hope not if you truly want to make someone happy. Could you actually just want one person to be happy? Someone beside yourself?"

The glow in the entity's eyes had intensified somewhat. More than that, the features which once displayed the face of a handsome youth now turned more ghastly. Like someone who had survived the flames of hell. Now the entity before Chrysanthemum resembled some type of mummified monster that had focused itself on the harshness of it's own dark honesty. It seemed that the will behind this potential poltergeist believed he was interrogating some deeper part of himself. Obviously the will behind it had no idea of his own powers. What the blind girl replied with next could have drastic consequences considering that will thought this entire thing was just a dream.

It could lash out without fear of any repercussions in the real world.

Chrys didn't truely understand what he was talking about, had she unintentionally hit a sore spot for her current companion. She felt herself fron a bit as his tone when from sad and depressed to angry and upset. She had only meant to make him feel better about himself, not to bring him down further. She turned her hand as he moved about her, following his voice as she listened to him. She took in his words and listened, thinking about what he was saying and wnder what could have possibly brought him to such a state. When he was done questioning her, leaving the two of the in the silence of the night, she justsat there in thought. She smiled sadly at him before letting her head hang a bit as she spoke.

"To be honest, It's more selfish that general. When people are happy, they tell me stories about their day or their family. They try to bring me into their world and share their joy with me. I mean, I'm blind! I can't see anything but a dark abyss in front of my eyes. When people are happy, I feel like I'm apart of that color filled world that I wasn't lucky enough to see. I feel...Like I belong, you know. That I'm not some weak blind girl that can't take care of herself and lives with her parents because no one would want to put in the work it takes to be with someone like me..." She said, her happy tone slipping into a bit of sadness before suddenly changing once more into the happy tone she had started with.

"However, I also want people to understand that its not as bad as it could be. So what if you aren't beautiful? You are blessed with the ability to look upon the forests in spring and to see the beloved faces of the people you care for, when they die, you will be able to picture the times you shared together and remember that happiness all over again, All I'll have is their voices and even then I might not even remember what they said exactly...So yes, I could want just one person to be happy even if they aren't me. Because when they are happy then I am one person closer to showing them that they are blessed and bringing a smile to their faces makes me feel the joy of not being so weak and useless!" She ended on a loud note and her voice echoed slightly throughout the empty forest.

She sat there on the log quietly for a moment, her head still hung and her hands in her lap. For the slightest moment it seemed that she was crying, her shoulders moving up and down a bit as she moved her hand to her eyes. As she got louder though it turned into laughter before finally stopping.

"I'm sorry...I ranted, I usually don't do that..You must think I'm pathetic or something. It's just when someone acts so depressed, I just want to show them that it can't be all bad...That they aren't alone like they think and that there is someone who is wiling to listen, no matter how big or small the problems....Heh, wow not I just sound stupid..." She said as she made a move to grab her stick and stand up.

Eyes briefly narrowed in anger during the beginning of her little speech.

"So it is from a selfish desire then. . . not true kindness."

What the entity had heard confirmed the suspicions the will had of this young girl. Despite her beauty and her seemingly sweet intentions, underneath still laid the selfish desire all humans possessed. Even in dreams they were apparently no different. More and more the snowflakes swirled around the phantasm as it neared the intensity of a weak poltergiest. But after a certain phrase she spoke it suddenly started to defuse itself.

She had never seen the world before. Ever.

Perhaps that little difference between her and those who had blindness later on mattered to the entity. That meant she wasn't like Adam at all. At least he had possessed sight his entire life before the accident and still could see things. Even if what he saw in the mirror now tortured one who obviously had issues with vanity. Quite the drama king if one truly examined just how harshly he had taken the aftermath of the accident.

Sounds of sadness that came from her seemed to break the entity's anger even further. It was now clear her outer personality was not invincible. Rather it was believable now that such a person could exist. Pathetic didn't even enter into the mind of Adam until she brought up the word. Even still the whole thing was just a dream to the will behind it all. What was the point of this dream anyway? Just what was his subconscious trying to do to him?!

". . .You've never. . . you've never seen anything?"

Chrysanthemum shook her head slowly, a sad smile on her face as she opened her eyes and looked in his general direction, of course seeing nothing but black as she did.

"I have never seen anything at all...Not my parents faces, not the trees in the winter...not even my own reflection...I have no idea of colors or how a house is suppose to look. I can only feel and hear and smell, but those senses can not make up for my eyes completely, they only give me a vague idea of what something might appear to be, but even then I can not try to picture it myself for I have no preferance to go by." She said softly as she stood up from her long and started to walk forward, her stick running over the ground slowly as her feet crunched through the snow.

She approached the strange will before her, before stopping just a few feet from him, her senses picking up on him once more as he seemed to calm a bit after her rant. She smiled a little more and hung her head once more a bit, this time a happier smile on her face as she began to speak once again.

"Now the world isn't that bad now is it? I'm sure there are a lot of things that you like about it right? Don't you have memories that happened in this world that you find precious? Something that you could never bring yourself to forget because it makes you so happy? If the world is as bad as you think then it would have never allowed for such happy memories to happen so don't be upset with it please, nothing is perfect after all." She said kindly to him once again as she made a move to go past him. "Well, I should get home...It is getting late and my parents will worry if they find my bed empty...It was nice meeting you Adam and I hope that you can get out a litle more often soon, we only have one life after all. Oh, And I do hope you take my advice on the plants, they really can do wonders."

Memories which belonged to days long since past flowed into the mind of Adam, ones which had often haunted him rather than help. Even as he lay there in his bed they replayed without terrible pain for just a few moments. But as he remembered them the entity returned to the handsome visage it had once been earlier with an untarnished face. Why could this girl from his subconscious get him to do something he never had before? And why did it have to take so long?! More than anything. . . why did she have to leave all the sudden?!

The entity stood there in silence listening to every word she said as it sunk in. It was still hard to fathom a life where one had been blind since birth. Everything in the life Adam knew seemed to have been shaped by things that were seen. Every other sense had always felt secondary or unimportant when compared with vision. Yet she had managed to live life for so long without seeing anything the world had to offer. Despite the fact Adam still believed this was a dream. . . it still managed to touch the heart of the recluse even when it was so far away right now.

I have to do something. . .

". . . Chrysanthemum, I would like to walk you home. If that's alright."

Noiseless as the entity's progress was, it now stood beside the blind girl in the snow and left no footprints. Part of the young man's mind believed it was perfectly alright to do this right now. After all it was a dream that no one would never know about unless he told them. So it was safe to try. . . to at least try to do something nice for someone else.

Chrys blinked in surprise for a moment before smiling widely at the stranger who had stumbled upon her in the dark forest that evening.

"I would like that...Thank you, Adam." She said sweetly as she started to walk back the way she came slowly.

It took awhile to get back into Rosalin but it did not seem that long since she had a companion to pass the time with. The smow crunched under her feet as they walked down the empty streets and crossed that barren roads. If anyone else had been watching they would probably be wondering why a blind girl of all people was leading the way of a stranger, she much to the surprise of many Chrys knew exactly where she was going all the time.

She stopped infront of a small shop, it being attacted to the small home she lived in with her dear parents. She suffled around in her sweater pocked for a moment and pulled out a set of keys to unlock the door. She fumbled with them for a moment, feeling them to see which one she needed to use, before finally slipping them into the lock and opening her door without much issue. Before she entered she turned a bit and smiled at the man beside her, or at least tried since she wasn't sure of where he was standing.

"Thank you for walking me home again, Adam. I hope that you make it back to your own home safely....Um, if you ever feel the need to vent I spend much of my time here, at the shop. Business is pretty slow this time of the year so you could come by...That is if you ever find yourself stepping out for a moment." She said, pausing for a moment to listen if he replied.

Reactions: 1 person
From every step they took in the snow together, only those taken by the girl actually left any footprints behind in the snow. If the weather did not cover up the little journey before the dawn anyone she told about tonight would probably not believe her. However should anyone have seen the entity walking right beside the girl home they might have freaked out. Either they would believe it was a hallucination or if they were superstitious . . . some type of ghost which wandered the earth.

Once they stopped out front of the girl's home the will behind the entity realized he was in fact standing inside the town of Rosalin. Very strange that he would dream of a town that he hardly visited these days. Perhaps he had hoped it would be somewhere else much farther away. But oh well.

"I. . .I don't think I could."

A sigh of despair escaped as the recluse in Adam won out before a secret offer was whispered in her ear. Ghostly lips hung in the air just a few inches from her ear before the entity made a different offer. One that felt more possible to dreamer who did not realize this was something beyond a dream.

". . . But I would like to see you again tomorrow night. In the woods by that log we sat on. If the weather's good. In a winter's dream. . . I'll be there for you."

Chrys froze as she felt him whisper into her ear, her cheeks turning a bit red from the closeness that they shared. She smiled a little and nodded her head at his request knowing that the weather would hold out for a little while longer, the first major storm would not be for at least a couple weeks.

"Certainly, I shall see you tomorrow night then, Adam...Now good night, I'll talk to you later." She said kindly to him before wandering into the shop.

She closed the door behind herself and locked it before making her way into the shop and toward her own room. She felt a little better about herself after that talk. Even though it had been with a complete stranger she felt that she had done something write, or at least she tried. She hoped that he would start to come out more, it was never healthy to stay inside for such long periods of time. She slipped into her room and changed into her pajamas before slipping into her bed with a smile on her face, slipping into a peaceful and dreamless sleep.

"Hello? Is someone there?"

"Gnnnghrr!!" Timaeus dropped from the tree and buried himself in the undergrowth.

"Ah, Snow...I guess I made a mistake...How silly of me."

Timaeus peeked out between the bushes, narrowing eyes on the blind girl in the clearing.

". . . Do I know you?"

"Gaagh!!" Timaeus ducked down again as the apparition of Adam Eastriver came into the clearing.

"Oh! There is someone! Well, I'm not sure if you know me...Do I possibly know you?"

"Ruined it!" Timaeus muttered. From his hiding place he stuck out his tongue at the apparition who had interrupted his stalking.

"You can come closer if you like, I don't bite."

Timaeus sniggered to himself as he crawled through the undergrowth. It was a high and burbling giggle mixed with wheezing as he got to a better spot.

"I don't think we've ever met before. Could I sit with you, perhaps?"

No! Timaeus banged his fist on the ground, furious at the woman for being so kind to this stranger. No, no no!!

"Ah, in that case it is a pleasure to meet you, my name is Chrysanthemum. What is yours? And yes, you can sit with me. I'm just enjoying the nature."

"Chris Anf the Mum!" he repeated the name in an odd, childlike repetition and licked his lips as he watched the blind girl.

"It's. . .it's Adam."

Timaeus's eyes widened and he became very still, ducking as low as he could amidst the thorns and bushes. EEEEASTRIVERRRr?! he hissed as his yellow skin turned paler.

". . . Aren't you frightened to be out alone this late?"

"Mhmm." Timaeus nodded, then realised that Adam wasn't talking to him.

"It's nice to meet you Adam, and no I'm not frightened at all. I came out here because it was night. I came out to enjoy nature before the snow shut me away...I really can't leave when it gets to the usual 3 feet of snow around here. What about you? Why are you out this evening?"

Yes, Timaeus thought, Why are you out, Eastriver? Ruining everything, like you always did! Bastard!

"I'm. . . not sure actually. I just kind of wanted to walk around in the snow."

Timaeus snatched a squirrel as it skittered past and gobbled it up in a single, terrible mouthful, venting his anger as he crunched the animal's bones.

". . .I don't really even get out that much."

Timaeus giggled again, the laughter mixed with his munching.

"You shouidn't stay inside so much, it's not good for you. I mean, I'm blind and I try to get out every day even in winter. If you can't get out then you should bring nature to you. Maybe start gowing some indoor plants or getting some flowers. I do that when winter comes around."

"Yes, flowers. Pretty, pretty flowers!"

"No. I can't really go outside. Anytime at all. You're too kind. You don't understand Chrysanthemum. No one should have to see what I look like."

Timaeus spat out the squirrel's tale and pulled a face at the distant apparition.

"I know this may not mean much coming from someone like me but I think you are a beautiful person...Even though you may not be beautiful by some people's standards you are by mine. I feel something kind about you, I think it is in your voice. You speak with such a lovely voice that I can't imagine calling you anything else. It think that your fear of judgement is holding you back. Don't let the world get to you, be strong and you can conquer anything."

Timaeus stopped eating and stared at Chrysanthemum's back, his sickly eyes going a little sad for a moment. His lip trembled. Then the girl laughed and Timaeus resumed his glare.

"Sorry about that, didn't mean to give you a speech. I just hate to hear sad people, I feel the need to make everyone happy."

"Bleeegh! Timaeus stuck out his tongue again, no longer entranced by the girl's words but merely sickened. He had changed his mind quickly.

"You can't be real. You shouldn't waste your time on me. Nothing can help what's happened to me. Nothing will fix it. No one would want anything to do with me unless there was money in it for them. That's the only reason anyone would put up with me."

Timaeus cackled and licked the blood from the squirrel's spine, happy that Eastriver was suffering so much. He deserved it, after all.

"If you could see me you would understand. There's no hope for me. None."

"Yip!" Timaeus agreed, before giving another yelp as Adam stood up. Timaeus buried himself in the snow again and put his hands over his head, as if that might keep him invisible as the entity got angrier and angrier.

"Do you really feel the need to make everyone happy? Is it so generalized? I hope not if you truly want to make someone happy. Could you actually just want one person to be happy? Someone beside yourself?"

"To be honest, It's more selfish than general. When people are happy, they tell me stories about their day or their family. They try to bring me into their world and share their joy with me. I mean, I'm blind! I can't see anything but a dark abyss in front of my eyes. When people are happy, I feel like I'm a part of that color-filled world that I wasn't lucky enough to see. I feel...like I belong, you know? That I'm not some weak blind girl that can't take care of herself and lives with her parents because no one would want to put in the work it takes to be with someone like me..."

Timaeus peeked out from behind his hands and listened to the girl again. She was nice. She spoke nice words. She reminded him of someone.

"However, I also want people to understand that it's not as bad as it could be. So what if you aren't beautiful? You are blessed with the ability to look upon the forests in spring and to see the beloved faces of the people you care for, when they die, you will be able to picture the times you shared together and remember that happiness all over again."

Timaeus found himself nodding along. The pretty girl had a point.

"All I'll have is their voices and even then I might not even remember what they said exactly...So yes, I could want just one person to be happy even if they aren't me. Because when they are happy then I am one person closer to showing them that they are blessed and bringing a smile to their faces makes me feel the joy of not being so weak and useless!"

Timaeus watched them in the ensuing silence, eyes wide and teary as Chrysanthemum's sadness turned into laughter.

"I'm sorry...I ranted, I usually don't do that..You must think I'm pathetic or something. It's just when someone acts so depressed, I just want to show them that it can't be all bad...That they aren't alone like they think and that there is someone who is wiling to listen, no matter how big or small the problems....Heh, wow not I just sound stupid..."

Bah! Timaeus wiped at his eyes and stuck his tongue out at the girl. She didn't know what she was talking about. Of course people were alone. Timaeus was alone. And no one was willing to listen to him.

". . .You've never. . . you've never seen anything?"

"I have never seen anything at all...Not my parents' faces, not the trees in the winter...not even my own reflection...I have no idea of colors or how a house is suppose to look. I can only feel and hear and smell, but those senses can not make up for my eyes completely, they only give me a vague idea of what something might appear to be, but even then I can not try to picture it myself for I have no reference to go by."

Timaeus ducked again as the girl got up and walked towards the apparition.

"Now the world isn't that bad now is it?"

"Yes!" Timaeus sneered from his hiding place in the bushes.

"I'm sure there are a lot of things that you like about it right?"

"No!"

"Don't you have memories that happened in this world that you find precious?"

"No!"

"Something that you could never bring yourself to forget because it makes you so happy?"

"NO!" Timaeus snapped, before clapping both hands over his mouth. He had almost broken his spell and revealed himself. Ducking back down, he stayed quiet and continued spying on the two.

"If the world is as bad as you think then it would have never allowed for such happy memories to happen so don't be upset with it please, nothing is perfect after all. Well, I should get home...It is getting late and my parents will worry if they find my bed empty...It was nice meeting you Adam and I hope that you can get out a litle more often soon, we only have one life after all. Oh, And I do hope you take my advice on the plants, they really can do wonders."

"Plants, yes. Lovely plants."

". . . Chrysanthemum, I would like to walk you home. If that's alright."

"Noooo!!" Timaeus rolled around in the snow, beating his hands and feet on the ground as he whined. Eastriver was determined to ruin his night.

"I would like that...Thank you, Adam."

As the two walked off together, Timaeus stood up and dusted himself off. The trees were looking at him, staying silent as he scowled.

"WHY DIDN'T YOU STOP HER?!" he snarled at the nearest pine tree.

The tree rustled in the wind.

Timaeus kicked it, then yelped and hopped away, clutching his foot.

* * * * * * *​

"NO!" Reece dashed away from the sink, where Theodore was holding out the next suspicious glass of liquid. And as Ivan entered the restroom, Reece hid behind him and glared back at Theodore.

Escaping one vampire by hiding behind another... if only he knew...

"He tried to poison me!" Reece shouted, looking at Ivan and pointing at Theodore. "Mrs Butterworth was right. He's on drugs!"

Leaving Ivan in the restroom with Theodore, Reece turned and hurried back into the main club, stumbling a little until his back came to rest against the bar. He gave a nervous look to the restroom, wiped his mouth, then turned.

"Aaagh!"

"Aaagh!"

Allura was standing next to him at the bar, startled by his yelp and almost dropping her freshly brought drink.

Reece composed himself. "Er... hi."

"Hahahahahaha!"

Theodore jerked the glass upwards, the viscous sugar water flowing up into the air, gelatin like, soupy, unwilling to deform from its initial stream into a spherical blob as it ascended. He spun around once, and brought the cup down low, catch the stream of water as it fell down, deformed into a tear drop shape by gravity. Except for a few drops that popped out onto the floor, he managed to catch all of it.

He was about to give chase to the boy, and had started to give chase before he was stopped by a rather imposing, blond-haired, Anglo-Saxon man. His sudden stop nearly caused the glass to fall out of his hands due to the inertia, but he managed to catch the glass just in time, grasping the cup at the bottom with his fingertips. A rapid twirl caused the glass to spin, the liquid inside refusing to climb the walls, balancing precariously on a fingertip from gyroscopic force.

There he stood, leaning on one leg, hips cocked and hand on waste, the glass on the fingertip of the other, and as he stared at the man a small smirk pushed its way across his face.

After her initial shock had worn off from Reece's rather unconventional greeting, Allura took a deep breath and smiled at Reece standing next to her. She had no expected to be snuck up on while she was looking at the table in, what she would admit, was a perhaps forlorn fashion. Allura turned slightly to the side to face Reece, trying to be as friendly as possible.

"Uhm, hi! It's good to see you here. You were sick just now, right? Are you ok?" Allura was trying to make conversation with Reece but in hindsight, she thought that perhaps it was unkind to bring up that Reece had just been ill. Desperately, she looked around for another topic and settled on taking a large drink from her glass.

Allura didn't know where Ivan had gone but he seemed so much better at dealing with people than she was and she wished that he were around to talk to people and make things cheery again. As it was, she chuckled nervously at Reece.

It really sucked being the new kid in a small town. Most people just didn't know what to do. Illiana really didn't approach people, most people thought that she was weird because of the gloves. She mostly accepted it because sometimes it was not worth it. She didn't like seeing some of the things that she did, of what people have done.

Fidgeting in her chair she just watched the people interact they seemed friendly, provided you were one of them. She was almost finished with her second drink when she had ordered a third. She could feel its effects starting to take place as she started swaying with the music in her little chair. It must have been a good thing that she had learned how to be self entertained. This was just like any other city, she had no idea why she had decided to come here. Perhaps she made the wrong choice, it did not seem like something special was here waiting for her.

Starting her third drink Illiana wondered what she would do with her time here. From what she saw that library alone was going to take almost a year. its not that they were in bad condition it's that there were so many that needed tending too. From what she knew those pieces had to have been donated from a very generous benefactor.

Illiana had been so lost in thought that she did not notice she had almost fallen out of her seat from swaying to the music. She blushed and laughed nervously hoping that nobody had seen it. Perhaps she should leave soon. She would get her bill the next time the waitress came back.

"I wasn't sick!" Reece shouted above the music, which seemed to be getting louder as the night wore on. "It's just thatguy, y'know the weird one, he gave me salt water and yeah..."

Reece screamed an order over the bar. The barmaid cupped her ear. Reece leant further forward and screamed again. The barmaid leant further forward. Reece hoisted himself over the bar and roared in the barmaid's ear. Finally, the woman understood.

Then suddenly the music stopped.

"COKE!" Reece stopped and looked around. Everyone had turned towards the stage, where the next act was coming on. There was a ripple of silent curiosity as a new band set up, complete with keyboard and violins, before a woman stepped up and took the microphone. In the neon lights of the club she was striking, her slender form illuminated.

There was no greeting to the audience. She simply stood and waited as her band prepared and the intro began. Then she closed her eyes and swayed with the microphone gripped, letting the moment take her.

The cigarette smoke seemed to clear around her, letting her hair shine all the whiter, and when she sung the words were carried to every corner of the club, as if by her will her alone she perfected the harmonics of the room.

white-hair1.jpg

Silence settled once more and the woman remained there, eyes closed, head upturned, as if held on the precipice of ecstasy. The barmaid, staring at the singer, handed Reece his drink, and Reece took it, whilst also staring at the singer.

It was safe to say, the performance had gripped the room.