Status
Not open for further replies.
Through the peripherals of her vision, Selene noticed the police captain's habitual fidgeting, but chose not to comment on it. Despite how easy going he seemed at one moment and very much like the police captain he was supposed to be the next, Tiger must have had a subconscious habit of always keeping in motion. It was a problem very similar to how Phynex had acted early in their time together, and even then the fire demon was the restless one between them. If Selene was ever vigilant and watchful, but only showed it in the movements of her eyes and how she constantly watched a room, she never found the need for unnecessary movement.

She followed after Crow, quickly making her way to make a pot of tea for their guest. Since Tiger hadn't asked for coffee, one was to assume he would be like most Easterners and choose green tea by default. Luckily, she was able to snatch what looked like a tin of green tea leaves from the cupboard and nodded to Crow to go ahead and prepare the rice. Between the two of them, she could assist the tengu as he needed, but now they had to steep the tea before serving it to Tiger.

Amusingly, Easterners seemed to dislike turning down a host's invitation to stay. If Tiger was itching to go back to his office, one look at Selene and hearing the tone she used had caused any contradictions from him to die down - was he weak to women, or did he think he was being polite? She didn't think herself particularly intimidating when she was inviting him to stay, but then this man already saw her dealing with Seishin. Though an invitation for tea and conversation was the furthest thing from interrogation by the huntress, it looked like people still found her a little intimidating.

"Phynex and his fellow contract demons are usually quite different compared to the demons we are fighting against," the huntress explained this all in a frank tone, looking over her shoulder momentarily. "The cruel and brutal demons you have heard of are probably the ones we are at war with, and even then they have grown quite civilized instead of brutish." Their ideologies and greed were certainly marks of a brute, but the way they now moved and fought inside the cities showed htey were able to somewhat adapt. Not all of them, since most were arrogant and prideful about their race and abilities and thought they could take down humans armed only with those.

After setting the tea to steep, she shrugged. "My partner is as you see him. I thought him how to fight hand-to-hand in our early years, and he has proven adept at it. I do admit that we are close to each other as more than just mere partners."

• Love
Reactions: Mu
"But was Phynex not a normal demon before forming a contract?" Tiger pushed on, curious to learn about these foreigners who would be working with him. "What makes him and the others of his kind different? Does the contract cast some sort of spell on him?" the man leaned forward, blinking at the fire demon with abnormally bright eyes. They gleamed like some sort of otherworldly stone, a blue so bright it was unnatural. "Are you being held against your will?"

The fire demon laughed in response, shaking his head. "I assure you I'm aware of what I'm doing," the demon smiled a little. It was amusing how other parties wondered at how this sort of ancient magic worked. In some ways, not even he knew what it was really all about, the inner working - the true inner workings - behind contract magic was beyond his and Selene's understanding.

"How does it work, then? What do you get, apart from your partnership?" his eyes twinkled.

Phynex indulged in his thirst for knowledge. "It's a mutual contract, we demons get to ask for one thing in exchange for compliance and to work together with a hunter. It can be anything, from crude to harmless... we've heard some horror stories before. Not everyone wants to form a contract."

"I see," Tiger hummed, leaning back into his chair "And what was that earlier, more than just partners?" The police captain was more of a gossiper than Phynex had first thought. The white-haired man chuckled at what the huntress had just said, spurring his curiosity even more. "Are you two... a couple?" He said it in a way as if he was asking the obvious. When his gaze flickered to Selene and Phynex, his smile seemed to widen a little more. "A biracial couple... huh. Interesting, are they...the West, loose on that?"

Phynex understood the hesitation in that question. Although the East seemed like such a haven compared to Nora, their racism had not completely died down... especially for romantic couples. It was always humans with humans, youkai and youkai. Mingling was looked down upon but not forbidden, and Kimyotake had told him that couples were generally alright in the eyes of others up until they wanted to have children. Even across the sea, half-breed children - or halflings - were considered second-rate citizens. No matter how high their occupational ranking was, whether or not they were ministers that worked in the government... they were still oppressed.

• Love
Reactions: Hana
"Uhn, can you help me with grilling the salmon?" She nodded at the tengu's request, grabbing the nonstick pan hanging on the wall above the counter. Her eyes flickered at the police captain's question as she started heating the coal under the grill. "Phynex, listen closely to Crow." Turning slightly, she stared at the two men. "I suppose you can say we are, Tiger-san, but I would prefer if you do not mention it to others." Her tone was polite, but her eyes told the man she expected him to be discreet. "Our relationship is private. As we are going to work with you, I suppose it is alright if you know." She looked towards the fire demon expectantly afterwards. "The others will either learn of this by themselves or through asking us." At least, that was what the huntress preferred to do. Keep their relationship as private as it could without being secretive, which meant keeping quiet about it.

Crow appeared over her shoulder. "I'll direct you two how to make salmon with mirin and soy sauce." He held up a clear bag filled with a light caramel-colored liquid, shrugging and looking at it with a dubious expression. The bag had a label indicating it was store-bought instead of homemade, the slices of salmon already mixed in with the marinade. "It says here it was made and refrigerated yesterday, so it should be fresh." Still premade. Not a thing that Crow, who was ever so traditional like his master, usually did. "The grocery sells these, dunno how well it would turn out. But Crane-shishou always makes the best marinades and salmon." He shook his head wistfully. "If Tiger-san and Dragon-san come over another time, I will make it with her recipe."

Taking the pack from him, Selene took out the slices of salmon and placed it on a container. The usual coral pink color of the salmon was tinted with the brown of the marinade after being soaked in it for so long. And clearing his throat, the tengu finally started. "First start the stove. Yes, medium heat - then add two tablespoons of oil." Following his instructions, Selene heard the clatter of objects as Crow also started preparing the ingredients for the rice balls. "Place the salmon skin side down, let it cook for... Uh, two to three minutes until the skin is crispy."

Three minutes later

The tengu had enough confidence in Selene to only repeat a few reminders, the oil crackling even when the pan was taken off the stove. "You can reuse the marinade from the bag - pour it on the flesh side, yes yes like that - and now you can cook that side for two minutes for a medium-rare salmon. You two don't mind medium-rare, right?"

He sniffed the air. "Not bad, but not as nice as my master's." Selene was slightly amused that Crow was inevitably comparing this to Crane's cooking, even when the seals mistress was away in Nora. He must really miss that woman's guidance. After placing the now cooked salmon on three plates, she eyed the rice that was still being cooked on the stove. It wasn't long until it finished cooking, since it looked like... Crow was drawing what looked like a seal on the container. He must have wanted it to finish quick enough so he could send off Tiger with enough food, hospitality pressuring the tengu. He even looked the part of a housewife with the apron on him now....

"Ah - Selene, can you help me make the rice balls after the rice finishes? You just have to wash your hands in salt water to keep the rice from sticking to your hands. I'll even do something to keep the hot rice from burning you - er, wait, you don't really need that..." He glanced at Phynex, remembering just who the huntress's partner was. Sometimes, one forgot that the contract helped her tolerate heat better... Shaking her head, she helped him around the kitchen preparing anything needed as Phynex continued entertaining their guest.

"And now - pickled plum and some of the salmon, since we have three big slices for ourselves we can use the rest." The rice was oddly lukewarm to Selene's hands instead of freshly cooked and still steaming hot - which was probably Phynex's doing. She nodded to Crow as he demonstrated how to mold the rice with their hands, making a small indent in the middle to place their fillings - which were pickled plums and salmon, though usually the filling was tuna or salted salmon. "Phynex-san, I hope salmon and rice, along with riceballs would be alright for dinner. I mean, I can heat up some miso soup, if you want? We're mostly done."

• Love
The man laughed politely. "I understand. If we are going to work together we need each other's trust." Shaking his wrist, he unbuttoned the tight cuff around it, opening it to reveal a beautiful band of stone. It was quite plain and simple, but it was a very important piece of jewelry, Phynex could tell from the way the stones were embedded into it, not in a way that was meant to be worn entirely for decoration... "Actually, me and Dragon are married. Happily married, too." He chuckled, the bracelet winking up at the three of them. Crow didn't seemed as surprised as the fire demon and the huntress, so he assumed the tengu had known all along. "But..." he buttoned up his cuff again, hiding the jewelry under his business shit. "We're not the most ordinary couple out here, it has nothing to do with our job, of course." With that, the man fell silent.

When he had shown that bracelet - he had been told that they were one of the Eastern equivalents to a wedding ring - Phynex could have sworn his stomach had dropped. His chest felt tight, a little heavier than it was a few seconds ago. He had thought about marrying Selene many times, almost done it as well, if not for the chaotic distractions that had separated them. Knowing how hard it must have been for her when she had found out her father had been hospitalized, he thought it would have been inconsiderate to propose to her. Coupled with the fact he could no longer find the engagement ring, lost in the battle of Nora, Phynex had not had the heart to bring it up to her. Speaking with Asher what seemed like years ago now, he had sounded open to the idea of them marrying. It was a surprise, a welcomed one, since he wasn't... well, a man.

Selene had been surprised as well. He recalled her reaction when her father had mentioned having previously talking about the subject with the demon without her knowledge. It was a rather cute response to marriage. Phynex liked it. But now... he wanted to follow through, but how? If Tiger had the answers, he should go and ask...

"But enough about me," Tiger said. "I wish the two of you great happiness, it's wonderful to see two races come together when it comes to love."

The demon blushed a little. "Thank you." There was no better feeling than having someone else grant their blessings. It was like an approval, a boost to his confidence. Demons normally never chose humans as mates, but Phynex didn't think he picked wrong.

As the aroma of food filled the kitchen, the two men stopped conversing and moved towards the kitchen counter, the two watching with rapt expressions. "I suggest going to the fish market for fresher meals next time," the policeman commented, blinking at the bag, before shaking his head. "Oh, not that I'm complaining. I'm actually glad we don't have to worry about dinner tonight."

Phynex looked just as hungry beside the white haired man. He listened carefully and nodded along to his instructions, watching Selene's every move like a prey watching a predator. "I don't mind," the fire demon murmured. "Anything will do." Watching them work, he was reminded of Kimyotake and her stews. Except they were made fresh, the Old One getting up hours earlier than usual to start on stock. "I should learn how to make some Eastern dishes," he said off-handedly, almost as if he was talking to himself. There was a twinge of guilt not being inside the kitchen helping the other two out. He was immediately responded to by his new companion, offering to deliver some cookbooks that he had lying around with no use other than being paperweights.

• Love
The rice balls looked round and perfect on the plates after the huntress and Crow were through with molding and wrapping nori around them. The half-tengu looked over them once more, before nodding in satisfaction and procuring a round bento container from the kitchen cabinet. Selene looked on with vague interest as the young man carefully put in the onigiri into the box, and noted with amusement that he even added some of the extra rice left over in the lowest compartment. Since they had made more salmon than was fit for three people, some salmon was placed right on top of the rice to keep it warm, before he covered the first compartment with the next that contained the rice balls.

"Since we bought chilled barley tea, you should take two bottles with you," Crow announced, wrapping the bento up in a checkered cloth and tying it up neatly into a loop for easy handling. He handed the bento to Tiger. "And I'm going to the fish market tomorrow. The refrigerated and premade stuff isn't as good as the real thing," he muttered, shrugging. "By that time you and Dragon-san should visit so I can make a traditional dinner for everyone." He clearly didn't mind cooking for a group, even if when asked about it directly he would look more than just a little embarrassed. "Miso, seasonal fish and vegetables, maybe fresh sashimi and soup. Crane-shishou mentioned that Dragon-san enjoys kaiseki, and while I'm not my master, she wanted to give her regards to you two."

So Crane knew the married couple from the police agency, or did she just know a lot of people? Tiger had mentioned meeting Crow before, so maybe the Old One did know the police agency officers. She remembered that the seals mistress took care of the barrier for Neo-Edo, so it likely had something to do with that. Selene glanced at Tiger, before moving on to Phynex. It was interesting how Tiger and Dragon were married, but it was the fire demon's reaction earlier upon seeing the band of stone around the police officer's wrist that caught her curiosity. The slight widening of the eyes and the almost flustered expression on the fire demon's face... What was he thinking about?

"If you would like to try Western cuisine as well, I would be able to create Western-style soups and stews once I get the ingredients, as well as steak if you are interested." This was the first venture remotely even close to friendship that the huntress extended to the police couple, Selene's violet eyes unreadable. If Phynex had warmed up to Tiger, maybe it wouldn't be too bad to try and warm up to them as well. Especially since Tiger didn't look negatively upon knowing of her and the fire demon's true relationship. "Phynex is hankering for some Rayochi beef that I can make into a steak, perhaps you would like to try it as well?"

• Love
He moved to take the bento from Crow, murmuring his thanks, the other hand reaching for the chilled tea he had been offered as well. "I can't thank you enough," Tiger said, smiling at the trio and particularly Selene and Crow, who had made the meal for him and his partner. At the huntress' offer, the policeman laughed. It was a friendly and light, not guarded and cautious like the strangers they had met in the far East. To them, it was another showcase of how open the man seemed to be, displaying most of his personality for them as their partner and ally here in Neo-Edo. "I'll take you up on your offer," he agreed. "We only have what we think you Westerners have, and it tastes alright. Can't wait for authentic flavors~"

Phynex assumed he meant what the fire demon and Selene knew as fast 'Eastern' food in Nora. Sushi, snacks, random assortment of dishes and foods that were said to originate from the East. They said it came about to the West when trading ports were still open, and they brought their cuisine over until the demons slowly invaded human populated cities. Compared to what they actually had during their welcoming feasts and the days spent in Rayochi and the capital, it was true the flavors were different though the food looked similar. "Selene's cooking is pretty good," his eyes sparkled at the thought of having a filling Western meal. "It's to die for." An honest compliment.

"Really? Well, I'll bring Dragon next time as well. We don't have steak a lot, and definitely not Rayochi beef." He reached for his keys, fumbling for them in his pocket. "That's quality beef right there, you're lucky to have had it already." Nodding and thanking the cooks once more with a short bow, the policeman made his way out of the apartment juggling the tea and the bento, disappearing down the hallway of the building, leaving the apartment all to the three of them.

• Love
"An eventful day, all in all, isn't it?" Selene quipped with a less guarded tone once the policeman left the apartment, the three resuming their activities to set up their new home. She was somewhat gladdened that Tiger had accepted her offer, aware that she hadn't sounded entirely as friendly as her partner could have been. Setting a hand on Crow's shoulder, she mumbled, "Sit down with Phynex at the table. I'll set up." With a raised brow, she ushered the two men from the small kitchen to the small yet extendable dining table pressed up against one wall at the lounge room. Since it was an apartment, the dining table was stood on four table legs. Western-style. But it looked like the table could be transformed into a traditional one. Tonight, she didn't bother to have it changed, taking out the bowls of rice, covered with small plates with chopsticks on top, arranged on two trays - two on one for her and her partner, and one for Crow.

Like a maitre'd, not a grain or a bowl slipped or moved out of place as she balanced the trays, walking towards the table and setting it up. Crow looked a bit bemused at being the one served food by someone else, immediately rising to help her and she shot him a look, only letting him help her take the bowls of food from the trays. "Almost done." It wasn't as if she wasn't the one who served guests they had over at their apartment when she lived with Phynex. He was better at the socializing part than she was, and she did her part making and serving the food. Since this was supposed to be their living area here, she was going to take to it as she had back then.

A rather casual dinner considering all the ones they had prior to coming here, she noted about the situation as she took the small plates of onigiri to the table, setting it down beside the respective bowls. She took one last quick trip to retrieve the cups of tea to take with the serving pot, the tea finished and ready to serve. Once everything was neatly and meticulously arranged, she sat down in between the two men's sides of the table. "What are our plans for tomorrow?" Directing the question to Phynex, she nodded at him to begin eating.

• Love
After the food had been served, Phynex took his place and waited for the others to join him before even considering picking up his chopsticks. When his cooks finally sat down, Selene beside him and Crow on the other side of the table, they all said the customary words before eating to thank for the food - to the chefs and to the plant or animal that had helped to provide for them. Bowl of rice, a side of the onigiri they had just made and leftover salmon, not a lot of variety but it was filling enough. The promise of Western dishes in the future pleased the fire demon, and he wondered if he would be allowed in the kitchen to make meals for both his lover and Crow one day.

He dug in with vigor, eating a little faster than one normally would but not scoffing his meal down like usual. He wanted to savor the flavors this time, this new food that wasn't prepared by the palace cooks. There was still that peculiar and unique flavor to all the food the East had, whether it was in the Far East or in Neo-Edo and other provinces and cities. He took a bite of the onigiri until he reached the contents within, sharing it with the bowl of rice. Phynex ensured he was eating away as quietly as possible, but it was obvious he was enjoying the meal.

His tongue flicked over his fingers to catch loose grains of rice after handling the onigiri. "Didn't they say to come back to the headquarters and see if they've accepted our job application?" Phynex replied, eyes flickering from his food to Selene. "They were probably written in such a way that would be an offer they can't refuse, I've seen them being made before. Realistic and a resume full of credit. Easy way to lure them in." The fire demon frowned, remembering that youkai that had looked at them earlier with an odd expression. At least he will not recognize them if he met the group again. "That youkai worries me a little..."

Phynex heaved a sigh, "Want to go out for a stroll after dinner? Oh, if you don't mind, Crow."

• Love
"He's one of the small-time leaders for that particular hub," Selene murmured, her eyelids fluttering closed as she lifted the cup of tea to her lips and sipped at the hot drink in a delicate movement. Her throat rippled lightly at the movement as the silky liquid soothed the day's strains away, but her thoughts weren't at rest just yet. Phynex wasn't saying something, and she knew what. That okuri inu worried Phynex for more personal reasons than he was saying out loud, but with Crow here, he probably didn't want to let the tengu know of that harrowing experience. It was emasculating for any lover to know they weren't able to protect their own against a hated enemy, yet one that they had once been able to fend off. "Likely, he only visits to check if the drug is coming in and reaching its destination. Or to partake in the teahouse's services... As one may put it."

Setting the teacup down, she quietly brought more salmon and rice to her lips with the chopsticks. Unlike the fire demon, she and Crow ate at a more sedate pace, their bowls of rice and salmon emptying slower and their rice balls picked at one by one. "That means that he will only come on certain days and times, which means that there will be chances to either avoid encountering him... Or to follow his movements." It would likely still grate on Phynex's protective and possessive nature, but she wasn't proposing what he dreaded earlier. "My specialty is not in disguise and reconnaissance, if you remember. It's stealth and stalking."

"Ah, it is quite alright. I will clean up after you, but I'm retiring to my room afterwards." Crow nodded in agreement to the fire demon's suggestion, tucking into his meal a bit faster. "I remembered I still have some stuff to study."

The salmon did taste quite refreshing after the heavier meals in the palace and at the Old One's. It was one of the heavier-flavored fish, making it enough to accompany the fluffy white rice. The mirin and soy sauce that was the marinade for it gave it a distinctly Far Eastern feeling. How much of this would Phynex enjoy until he started yearning for more familiar Western food? Apparently, only a little more. "Dragon-san and I would work something out," and finishing the rest of the salmon and rice, Selene tilted her head and locked gazes with the fire demon.

Plucking one onigiri from her plate, knowing it was one of those with picked plum in it, she sighed. So many things worried him now. A walk after this sounded good for both of them, if only to find a place more discreet than an apartment where Crow would have to listen to them if they talked there. "Would you like the rest?" Waving one hand carelessly to her plate, she pushed it towards Phynex and bit into the one in her hand.

"Still. A small-time leader or not, we don't know what he's capable of." His voice was a low growl, just the thought of a wolf demon was unpleasant, reminding him of a certain somebody. He didn't know all the abilities of the youkai in this vast world, and especially not an okuri inu. He made a mental note to go look up the sub species later in the library... the fire demon turned around to see a small booshelf stacked with novels and leather bound books. He scanned and eyed the titles, but he would have to go and take a closer look later and see if they had been provided with anything interesting. "I might take some time to research what he is."

He took an onigiri from her place, shaped perfectly and wrapped at the bottom with nori seaweed to make it less messy to hold. "Thanks," he murmured as he took a generous bite. It had a ball of crunchy seaweed salad hidden inside that was tangy and salty, with a nice mouthfeel. Quietly, he worked his way through the ball of rice, licking away any grains stuck to his finger before he finished off the remains Selene had offered to him. By the end of dinner, Phynex was left full and satisfied, standing up to stretch. He had been taught that sitting down wasn't good right after eating, and he took health advice somewhat seriously. At least if it was from Selene. "Let's go when you finish, so we can walk off our dinner."

• Love
Polishing off the onigiri in her hand, Selene refrained from licking at her fingers, instead taking out a handkerchief from her pocket to clean her fingers. "Let's go." She stood up to approach Phynex, but not before stacking the bowls on the table for Crow to clean up. The fire demon was more or less agitated at the thought of the okuri inu; and wasn't that new? New but unsurprising, though she mused privately to herself that at least it let him be more careful and cautious about the mission ahead. It was almost as if there was a role reversal in how the huntress was the one willing to step into dangerous waters while he would rather stay away.

She nodded at Crow, who had also stood up and gathered the bowls into his arms. "We'll see you tomorrow then. Have a pleasant night." The pair left from the apartment's front door, and the moment they stepped outside the threshold of the door, she slipped her arm around the fire demon's. The walk towards the outside was quiet, neither of them yet having the inclination to talk until the normal noises of the street - car engines purring, people talking and stores opening and closing greeted them the moment they stepped out of the building's entrance.

Neo-Edo was a lively city at night, and in a much different way compared to Nora, where humans would be cautious and wary about having fun in the evening. Here, the buildings were aglow with advertisements splayed across large screens. Neon signs blinked at some shops, and the sidewalks were full of both youkai and humans, who in turn lit up the place with their phones and devices. It wasn't out of place for a young couple, a demon with dark brown hair and eyes, and a white-haired lady to walk among them. Their modernistic clothes weren't out of place, and displays of affection weren't too bad as they reached a park where several young couples sat and chatted together.

• Love
Waiting for her, he stood by the door, wondering what might happen on their stroll. This would be a moment they were going to spend alone aside from the bedroom, but even then lately they had been too tired to even consider doing much after the vigorous training they went through. He allowed her to slip his arm around hers, and with a bidding farewell to Crow, they left the apartment complex, letting his feet lead the way. Making sure they did not head off too far from the apartment, the couple admired their bright surroundings. It was very reminiscent of home, the city they had grown up together in, rising buildings and the familiar smell of a bustling city, the sounds that echoed from all around them...

Thought of Nora also reminded him of unfulfilled promises he had left behind in that city. Some he may never be able to revisit or follow through. He thought about his friends, wondering what they were all doing. Golem, Belinda, Orion and Jared... "What do you think is happening back home?" he quizzed, a sad expression on his face. "I wonder if they know what happened, or if they miss us." Even without telling her the context, Phynex knew she would understand what he meant.

Soon, the couple stumbled across the quiet park with only the sounds of crickets and running water to be heard. Benches surrounded a running fountain, the moonlight making the water glisten. The fire demon directed them inside, indulging in the quiet beauty of the park. Peace and quiet was rare these days. "... Selene, what do you think about our future?"

To compare this park to the gardens of the imperial palace would be to compare the colors of the rainbow reflected in murky water. It was beautiful, but it would never attain the same brilliance as the real thing - even if the look of well-maintained and tended beauty was prominent in the fountains of the park and it's even, soft green grass. Stone paths led people around to seats under trees with hanging branches that dangled long and flowing leaves and flowers, as well as vines. Paper lanterns decorated the branches, casting lights to guide the passers-by, though the stone lanterns where small lights made from burning sticks also provided enough light around the paths.

Selene stared at the fountain for a moment, noting the presence of coins that shined in the bottom from what light could break through the water. Wishes of couples, wishes of children, wishes of families that stayed and played together in this place. "Nothing is always for certain, but I'm working on it." He was thinking of the future again, but it was always true that no future would be set in stone. The ability to foretell futures was always a phony trick, or something that was aided by intuition and investigation. It was impossible magic, even among the Celestials and the demons. And it wasn't something that would answer Phynex's questions, yet she couldn't help but remember the people who frantically scrambled for such things, fools they were.

She turned to him, tightening her arm around his. "What's on your mind?"

• Love
He stared down at the contents in the water, the light and movement of the water making the bottom of the fountain shine like shimmering scales. It was mesmerizing to watch how the coins seemed to bend and warp in the water. The fire demon released her arm and sat down on the edge of the fountain, sighing as he turned back to look at her with a warm expression.

"Well, what do you want to happen in the future?" he asked her, tilting his head at the huntress. Settle down and live a peaceful life and live out those days of her life, continue her occupation as a demon hunter? Change her job to suit the changing environment of Nora when they returned... if they ever did? What about making a living for themselves here in the East if they were no longer welcome back to the cities of the West? This place was bearable and in some ways more accepting than those in the West... but if they were to ever get too serious, there would be only be judgement from the prying eyes of youkai and humans here...

Phynex sighed, "I'm just not too sure on what will happen. To us, to our lives. It's just a little confusing," he chuckled lightly, trying to lighten up the slowly dampening mood. "But you know, I'll follow you anywhere, if you want me to."

• Love
A smile graced her lips at his words, the huntress's gaze softening yet still burning with the quiet intensity of her affections for him. For only one man, one demon. "My love." Beginning it with those two words only seemed appropriate after what he told her... "There is no future but the one we are going to carve out for ourselves together. I love you more than I fear even the darkest of possible consequences - or the demon king himself." That was a large leap to make, though he could hear the conviction in her words. Selene was never one to state anything unrealistic to her own views, so she was stating the simple truth, like the way the sun would rise without fail during the dawn every morning, or how the skies were always blue behind the veils of clouds. Unrelenting and unyielding.

She reached out to run her fingers through the dark waves of his hair, running through it once and then twice, before brushing her nails along his scalp. The park was dark enough, with couples that sought out privacy more than to stare at others who shared in intimacy for them to worry about anyone just yet. "Any life is possible as long as you make it with me." She continued on methodically running her fingers through his hair, her free hand resting along his shoulder and pulling him towards her, his head pressed against her stomach.

They should revel in moments like this. The warmth, the comfort even in the silence, and the deep intimacy. Even if she normally wouldn't do it in such a place.

Her fingers wandered to the nape of his neck, massaging along his neck, working out any stress and aches that may have built up there. A silent apology for earlier. Once she heard the telltale sigh and groan, his body relaxing against her, her hand traveled further down. At this, she pulled back, following the trail of her hands downwards where the path only diverged as she instead placed a kiss on his lips. It was short; chaste and reverential, though she longed to kiss him. "What do you say?"

• Love
Phynex's heart jumped in his chest at her words. He knew Selene to be a brave woman, braver than any human he had ever met or read about. Even the greatest demons cowered in the name of the one who ruled his home domain. His father, someone who was incredibly powerful, trembled in the presence of his king. Her words seemed to testify her strength and how much she felt for him, and that warmed the fire demon's heart. It filled him with such warmth that did not come naturally to dwellers of fire such as himself, it was a sensation that he was grateful for.

He rested his head against her stomach, humming and pleased, reveling in the sensation of such simple movements and actions from the huntress. The way she ran her fingers through his hair, or how they brushed past his warm skin, moving from the top of his head to his neck. Phynex almost purred as she lightly rubbed out the tight knots that he didn't even realize were there, pushing away the stress and pain he had been carrying around with him ever since he had arrived.

When the huntress leaned down to kiss him, he sighed when she pulled back so quickly. A finger reached up to touch his lips, a cool sensation the only sign she left. A small smile appeared on his face, his features becoming softer. "That sounds wonderful," he murmured, bringing her back for a hug, burying his face into her shirt. Behind her, his fingers quickly worked away at something. There was something he wanted to do, something that would surprise his lover and the person he held so dearly. Pulling away after a few peaceful and quiet moments, having relished in their intimacy, he reached out for one of her slender hands with his. Phynex brushed over the back of her hand with a thumb, just looking at their hands together made the demon's smile widen a little.

As he brought her hand to his lips, he calmly slipped what looked like a golden band onto her ring finger - he wasn't about to propose an engagement just yet - still glowing and slightly heated after having being fashioned out of the fire that burned so passionately within him. "This ring comes with a pledge that I will always be faithful to you," he whispered. His brown eyes seemed to burn with more than just the bright energetic spark Selene always saw in him. "I want you to wear this as a symbol of our commitment to our relationship... and our future, wherever that may be."

• Love
She chuckled as he ducked, hugging her and pushing his face into her shirt once more. Selene found she wanted to be yet even closer to him, tucking him close to her chest. A deep sigh moved through her, as she let her hands play with the hair close to the nape of his neck. Just appreciating and admiring, even if she wanted to do something more. It was a normal thing to be affected by his nearness, his closeness, and she would never tire of it. Blinking as he pulled away, she instinctively turned her hand in his, fingers intertwining with the fire demon's in a natural, reflexive movement. Her eyes followed his thumb as it brushed the back of her hand, then flickered to watch his face once more, deepening in their intensity as he drew her hand towards his lips.

Something warm and heavy - in more ways than one - slipped onto her ring finger, then. Selene's breath hitched, and then left her altogether as she hanged on to his words. "Yes. I will." He caused her mind to lose entire trains of thought, until the only urge that remained was the one to kiss him. "I'm going to kiss you, now." It was the only defense she could come up with. His eyes burned into hers, and the rest of him was going to be the death of her rational thoughts if she wasn't careful. His skin with its olive tone and smoothness. His brown hair that fell into his eyes and lent him a boyish charm that made her blush more than once in the past. His face that would always be overtaking her thoughts and making them spin in circles with his words and his touch.

And his lips, which were smoother than they looked, soft and kissable. Before the fire demon could quickly react, her hand fisted in the front of his shirt and pulled him upwards with a surprising strength. She pulled him towards her, mouth on his. It was a ravaging kiss at first, a collision of lips and teeth, as if she wanted to take all his breath away from him, before it softened.

She kissed him slowly, passionately, as if this would be the last kiss she would have. As if she was trying to memorize the taste and feel of him through sheer will. She kissed him until he returned it with fervor, swallowing his sighs greedily. And she'd kiss him until he trembled, until he felt her feelings and everything that he made her feel.

The demon beamed at her reaction, laughing at her words. It was a breathless, pleased laugh, one that shuddered through his entire being. "I'd like that," he whispered, before he found himself being pulled up by the huntress, a look of mild surprise on his face. His breathing hitched at first, the demon gasping against her until the two relaxed and allowed him to stand somewhat more comfortably. The background sounds of flowing and running water, and the sounds of crickets chirping seemed to melt away into nothingness. All he could hear was Selene, all he could see and feel was Selene. All he could taste and smell was Selene. There was something about doing all of this out in the open, public space that was really starting to turn Phynex on. It may be dark and empty, but that adrenaline and joy building up inside of him was real.

He couldn't get enough of her. The shape of her lips, soft and sweet, the way her tongue grazed across his own. He could not help but sigh and growl against her, arms curling around her waist lovingly and protectively. Why did she feel so warm against him, and why was his skin so flushed with warmth? Tongue against tongue, lips upon lips, their breathing was becoming more and more mingled, and their cheeks became flushed.

With a chuckle, he lifted the huntress up, twirling her like he would in a dance. The demon was so happy his heart was beating like a drum, louder than even thunder. Looking up at her violet-blue eyes, he could see the happy glimmer in them as clear as day. And she would see the clouded desire and the joy in his. "Promise me you'll wear it as much as you can?" he asked, taking her hand to press against his cheek. "Promise me," his voice was but a low whisper now, thick with emotions he could feel oozing out of him.

• Love
They were both panting and flushed when they pulled back; cheeks red and eyes bright. Selene was struck with the urge to just lean down and kiss him again, the world around her spinning as his hands were warm around her waist and under her legs - that spark in his eyes and his kiss-bitten lips made it hard not to. She looked down from the higher vantage point, resting her hands lightly on his shoulders. And she, bending low so that her hair tickled his face, hands on him for support, pressed her lips against his ear. "I was..." Nipping at the sensitive skin of his earlobe, she took a few seconds to play with that sensitive part of him. "Under the impression..." Her fingers pressed under his chin, as she moved from kissing his ear to running her lips on his nose - his cheeks, under his eyes, on his forehead... "That I will do that without your asking."

She tightened her grip on his shoulder, trailing her other hand from his face, across his lips, and down to his throat where his adam's apple bobbed. Trailing an invisible path that scorched his skin as much as it did her fingers. "And now you promise me you kiss me like that. Again." Her grin came unexpected to both of them, wide and genuine. More devious than she had shown him in a while. "We've neglected each other, my love." There was something about doing something like this in this public place, a park, that was making a part of her feel up to a rare kind of mischief. She wriggled in his grip, pressing against him until he let her down.

Facing him, she leaned close, pulling him towards her to whisper in his ear. Her breath wafted across his already heated skin, making it feel even warmer. "I want you to kiss me." It was more like a plea and not a command, if it weren't for the teasing note in her voice. "I want you to pull me closer..." A kiss underneath his ear, before she abruptly placed a hot kiss right over his pulse in his neck, sucking on it twice in a way that would have him pulling her against him for more. "I want to hear you moan." Dragging her teeth lightly across the mark she made, she blew across it. Her fingers were tangled in the mess of his hair by then, pulling his head back. "And I want to feel you shiver. Do it all for me."

The demon seemed mildly surprised that Selene was suddenly showing so much emotion. She seemed to be literally bursting with it. He was used to seeing a woman who knew how to keep composure, and even if she was fazed with something she rarely showed it. Phynex had to admit that whenever she smiled, she looked incredibly beautiful. Breathtaking. He wished she smiled more like this often, so her face would light up. The demon was beginning to wonder what he could do during their stay here to see that grin on her again.

He leaned down to kiss her fervently once more. He could feel Selene all around him, like her fingers were always tracing his skin and leaving invisible trails and lines all over his body. The fire demon shivered despite not being cold, and let the huntress down so he could hold her deeper into the kiss. Her breath was hot and irregular, washing over his face when they pulled back for the briefest moment to breathe. He was ecstatic, happy, the happiest he had ever been for a long while. His teeth grazed against her bottom lip, encouraging him to lightly bite it, humming and sighing as he did so. Whenever he felt her mouth and tongue on him, he would sign and moan lightly, not even bothering to obscure the sounds that were coming from him.

He growled in surprise when she began to tease him, his finger moving to where his pulse was, and where Selene had just kissed him. Phynex blinked at her flushed face, chuckling lightly with his eyes hazy and thick with passion. "Godammit, Selene." He curled a lock of hair around his finger, feeling his skin burn even hotter than before. "I want to fucking mess you up so bad." The demon's voice was a low, velvety soft. He must have been feeling something alright, if he didn't even notice he had just said a profanity. "I want you to crave for me."

Phynex pulled his lover closer to him, until she could feel how hot his skin was, and the beating of his heart. "But I don't think Crow would like that if we took it home."

Last edited:
  • Love
Status
Not open for further replies.