Britain is leaving the European Union

Would you (or did you) vote for Britain to leave the EU?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brovo

Ferret Dad
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. One post per week
  3. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
Afternoons and evenings, some weekends.
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Prestige
  5. Douche
  6. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Male
  4. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Fantasy, Science Fiction, Post Apocalypse, Horror, Romance, Survival...
It's happening. Leave won.

So, here is the arbitrary discussion thread for it. Keep it civil, talk about it here if y'all would like.

I for one have many mixed feelings about this. I was and still am pro-leave, but I have a terrible, unsettling feeling in my gut that the far right of Europe was watching, and will gladly look at this as a rallying cry.

And, if you live in the UK, and y'all voted (leave or stay), why did you vote the way you did? How do you feel about the results?

EDIT

Also, yes, you can still obviously vote in the poll even if you don't live in the UK. It's a hypothetical question about an ideological choice that actually occurred.

Reactions: Pahndemic
If nothing else, this is a major historical event that we won't know the effects of for years. That's both facinating and kind of scary.

I honestly don't know how I would have voted; both sides who weren't a screaming head had pretty compelling arguments, although I think I lean more towards leave because of the problems with the EU that have been outlined, and people have pointed out Switzerland as a powerhouse economy that has never been in the EU. Maybe there's something to that.

On the other hand, I am worried about my friends who live in Britian who need to travel for their jobs.

If nothing else, this is a major historical event that we won't know the effects of for years. That's both facinating and kind of scary.

I honestly don't know how I would have voted; both sides who weren't a screaming head had pretty compelling arguments, although I think I lean more towards leave because of the problems with the EU that have been outlined, and people have pointed out Switzerland as a powerhouse economy that has never been in the EU. Maybe there's something to that.

On the other hand, I am worried about my friends who live in Britian who need to travel for their jobs.
They're fine for two years from the point at which the government formally declares official separation from the EU through the proper protocols, because EU rules say you can't just instantly peace out. After that they could be screwed over if the UK hasn't arranged shit to go into effect to fix travel issues before then.

I would have voted to stay, but I totally understand their resentment of the EU.

I did't vote as i did not want to spend time researching the EU, listening to both sides when the number one thing in the life of the Dovah is getting a job.

It'll be interesting and we should have plans in place by the time we actually exit. Unless our government decides to be dumb. Which is a real risk.

Some are claiming the country is screwed. That we'll end up going bankrupt etc... but i doubt it.Yes, the Pound is down but the French and German markets went lower. If Scotland wants to leave, that is up to them to vote so. That said, i do hope we won't get Farage as Prime Minister. He is a smug nosed git that is like a british version of Trump. Only, less racist, posher and less failed businesses.

We will have access to more markets and despite what some claim, the EU needed us more then we need it. Some people are hoping we get punished for leaving to prevent the EU from falling apart but if it takes a major member to cause it to collapse, it's not a stable thing.

And no, we won't become an island nation that refuses to reach out to the world. We'll be happy to trade with the EU and do business with them but that's about it. We don't want to be ruled by them and we are rather stubborn once we want something.

That said, our arsehole groups(EDL, BritianFirst) will claim it as their victory, do more protests, disrupting towns and their usual bullshit. They are racist groups and whilst it is very unlikely(as in, no chance but we're a democracy so there is a small chance of it happening), if they were to get into power, we would be in a lot of trouble. Fortunately, one is a bunch of skinheads that like to chant and be racist and occassionally fight each other. The other is a political party with a small following but will never get into power.

We never agreed to be ruled by them back in the 70s. We were lied to and our government did so without asking us.

With luck, we can actually deport criminals(Depending on crime, case and other legal bits) without much issue. Human Rights is a good thing but it is taking the mickey. I mean, they get treated better then some people! They get TV in their cells, other privilleges for free whilst people starve.

Hopefully, we can come to an agreement between the EU and us regarding fishing. Techincally, the channel belongs to us and we have to chuck away fish if we exceed quotas(Which is a waste). Will be interesting.

I do suspect that France will claim that Calais is not their responsiblity regarding border duty and will try to move it to Dover but i don't know that much about borders and how it currently works between the two towns.

It has not gone to shit. It's just a knee jerk reaction and i'm sure once the dust settles, it'll go back to being strong. It's more of a collective "Oh shit, they really are leaving." We've had low pounds before. We'll survive.

Reactions: LunaValentine
I'm still trying to figure out what is going on. As I'm going to be an immigrant.

I'm worried about my girlfriend. I'll most likely be on a student visa. She won't have anything.

One step closer to having Boris Johnson become Prime Minister...
I'm a dirty Yankee by the way. The Brits are pretty cool though.

7dGofNf.gif

Just wait. You'll get Trump and be able to join us in this shitshow soon. :)

I'm probably not going to get the chance to post this anywhere else for a good long wee while, going by the state of social media at the minute, so if you'll permit me to break my 'never take anything seriously' rule for this one occasion I'mma outline just why I put a cross in the Leave box the other day.

Again, I'll aim to make it as concise as I can.

I get the distinct impression that most people extolling the virtues of the European Union and denouncing anyone mad enough to vote against it as bitter xenophobes don't actually understand the full ramifications of the institution they're defending. It is not a bastion of democratic freedom and unity. It is not the Single Economic Market (cos seriously, I think it's pretty cool and I hope we keep it). It's not the purveyor of all the lovely rights we now enjoy.

It's a centralised, technocratic commission that's been actively seeking to strip the freedoms from the nations it has sway over for years now.

Case and point being the European Commission. They're the chaps and chapettes actually pulling the strings within the EU. You don't vote for them. They are not accountable to you, the people they're making decisions for. The people you do actually vote for, the MEPs, have essentially fuck-all influence over them, only existing as an advisory body that can be safely ignored at the Commission's leisure.

In short, these fuckers govern you without ever having to answer to you.

This isn't democracy.

It might be less of an issue if the European Commission didn't wield any serious power over the sovereign laws of the nations the EU is made up of, but it absolutely does and it would like even more. They've been actively seeking to create a Constitution for Europe (trans. "give us all the authority, fuckers") since 2004; though their initial attempts at pushing through this treaty were smacked down by the French and Dutch electorate, the European Commission has since shown its contempt for democratic decisions by re-drafting the Constitution as the Treaty of Lisbon (which was forced through as an "amendment" to previous treaties and thus didn't require the express will of the people of Europe to put through).

The EU is sleep-walking into a Federalist nightmare. What you saw today was a wake-up call.

It definitely wasn't the easy choice Britain's made.

But I reckon it was the right one.

tl;dr – Fuck the European Commission, hurray democracy.

tl;dr – Fuck the European Commission, hurray democracy.
Those who sacrifice freedom for security will have neither freedom or security. Only the people in charge will.

And losing the NHS entirely, since he wanted to privatise it. ;)
Full disclosure: I am a first-generation overseas citizen of the UK, and a citizen of Canada. Hooray UK citizenship law!

The biggest negative about Brexit though is the huge impact it had on the British economy (which Leave dismissed as bollocks, thereby ignoring the people whose job it is to forecast these things. good job on that, by the way!) as well as many, many foreign currencies in addition to the Pound sterling. The Canadian dollar sank two cents, which may not sound like much when compared with the 12-pence crater Brexit left in the Pound sterling, but do remember we've already a far weaker currency than you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mmmm... Yeeesss...

89pDr2F.jpg

Let the Lord of Chaos rule!

Reactions: Legens Legentis
And losing the NHS entirely, since he wanted to privatise it. ;)
Full disclosure: I am a first-generation overseas citizen of the UK, and a citizen of Canada. Hooray UK citizenship law!

The biggest negative about Brexit though is the huge impact it had on the British economy (which Leave dismissed as bollocks, thereby ignoring the people whose job it is to forecast these things. good job on that, by the way!) as well as many, many foreign currencies in addition to the Pound sterling. The Canadian dollar sank two cents, which may not sound like much when compared with the 12-pence crater Brexit left in the Pound sterling, but do remember we've already a far weaker currency than you.
A laissez-faire capitalist such as myself has very few qualms with privatization.
The market will correct itself like it always does. It's nice that a European nation has chosen to value its sovereignty for once.

Status
Not open for further replies.