1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Prestige
  5. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
Genres
I enjoy modern fantasy, fantasy, scifi, romance, yuri, romance,adventure, action, all that good stuff. I tend to stay farther away from horror and the like, but thrillers maybe? I guess? I've never really tried so I'd be open to it.
27a39e23172240157f1bc304c0cb2f44.jpg

Violet
Being a wanderer wasn't always ideal. You never really had a home and you could never truly get to know people, but there were up sides too. Like your enemies never knew where to look for you, and you got to see a vast amount of destinations you'd probably never see otherwise. But the one thing that kept Violet Donovan traveling, was the adventure. She never knew what was going to happen to her each day and she loved the unpredictability. Granted she also seemed to be drawn to trouble, but such was the life of a sell-sword.

On this particular day, Violet found herself in the kingdom of Olarus, wandering around the capital city looking for work. Normally, Violet never stayed in one place longer than two or three days to resupply and get some well cooked food, but today would mark a week in the city. The coronation of a new queen was supposed to be happening the next day and she wanted to be around for the festivities. It wasn't common that she'd wander into a city and get to witness a grand event such as a coronation. So she took on some extra odd jobs to pay for the room she had at the local inn and relaxed.

That's how she found herself in a shady deal between the inn keeper and a merchant. Of course, since the man who owned the inn knew she needed extra coin, he convinced her to be somewhat of a body guard for him when he went to meet with a grain merchant. These types of jobs she didn't normally take, but she was running low on currency and was almost desperate for some sort of work. She was only going to be here for one more night anyway, so she might as well get what she could in the form of money. And how troublesome could a grain merchant be?

"I hope you know how to use that sword of yours, wanderer."
The inn keeper muttered as Violet glanced up at the middle-aged man and rolled her eyes. She tended to get some doubt from the men that hired her, of course. "If somethings happens to me you can bet you'll have to pay me double."

"Calm down, Ivan." Violet replied coolly as she waved her hand to dismiss his worry. "This is one of the more peaceful cities I've been in, what harm could this grain merchant really cause?"

When they finally reached the meeting place in an abandoned lot near the docks. The grain merchant was already there waiting for them, with three other large men. Violet groaned. There had to be something else going on between Ivan and the merchant. Who brought muscle to a trading deal? The rose haired woman sighed softly as they finally reached the merchant and Violet eyed the three men carefully. They were wielding homemade weapons, one even had a freshly sharpened hoe. So they were amateurs, that was slightly reassuring.

"I thought I told you to come alone, Ivan?" The merchant growled as he glanced at Violet and narrowed his eyes. "I suppose she is just a woman, so you basically are alone." Violet furrowed her brow at the merchant. If she hated anything, it was anyone underestimating her strength, but now was not the time to demonstrate. It would be much more satisfying if those three goons made fools of themselves and tried to attack her. "So where is my money?" There it was, the real reason they were meeting at sunset and in a secluded area.

"You swindled me!" Ivan yelled as he took a step forward and clenched his hands into fists. "The grain you sold me was molded! I couldn't even make a loaf of bread with the bushel you sold me." Violet sighed and rubbed her temples. These were the small town deals that were going on in back alleys, how exciting. The two men bickered for a few moments before the merchant finally seemed to tire of it.

"If you won't pay, then I'll just teach you a lesson about breaking a deal!" The three larger men held their weapons up and started towards Violet and Ivan.

"I guess that's my cue." Violet smirked as she drew her sword from her back.

@Baddamobs

• Love
Reactions: Baddamobs
Siliene.jpg
Far from the back alleys and empty lots, the dock's wharf was far less 'occupied,' at least by people. Indeed, the entire dock was actually heaving with ships: everything from grand galleons to tiny merchant vessels were all crammed into whatever available space that could be found, all bobbing along to the waves that washed in below them. While the capital's docks were always busy and rarely unoccupied, this kind of activity was unprecedented, though it did make sense. The crowning of a new monarch was auspicious occasion, one that no self-respecting well-to-do individual would miss. While many an entrepreneur had arrived by land in gilded carriages, many more had floated into the city by sea, both as passengers and masters of their vessels.

Both passengers and masters were nowhere to be found, however; barring the occasional group of sailors coming and going to one ship or another, the dock was nearly completely unpopulated. Almost.

"-But the sign clearly states that you 'are available for rent or transport at all times!'" A young woman all but yelled at the unaffected sailor, throwing an arm out in an impotent display of frustration. She struck quite a curious figure, being covered head to toe by an all-encompassing mantel of the deepest shade of blue, with her hood drawn up. While the garment was not especially flashy, it was of remarkably well-crafted and was clearly made using some fairly expensive materials. It appeared to be something that a noble or a member of the court might wear while travelling on particularly chilly nights. She cut quite the contrast standing before the sailor, who clothes looked like they had been patched a thousand times (in addition to looking like they could do with a thorough wash). Said sailor looked unimpressed with the girl's outburst, and simply pointed back to the sign.

"Yea, and it also says that you have to 'ask for times and prices.'" The sailor, his tired expression doing a good job of showing his annoyance, grunted. "Not 'come and go whenever you damn so well please.'"

"I-di-" The girl spluttered for a second, before pointing a perfectly manicured finger at the man. "Are you saying you would really turn away my offer!?"

"No, I'm saying I'm gonna make twice as much when my passengers pay to get back home." The sailor gestured to his boat with a nod of his head. "So unless you can match the price of a thirteen men, you can wait until after the coronation, like everyone else."

The girl lowered her finger, looking skeptically at the beat up, partially rotting boat that she was arguing for. The thing looked like it could barely stay afloat, let alone carry thirteen men anywhere. Just as she was thinking whether this choice of boat was really her best option, the sailor's eyes narrowed, causing her to stiffen under his now suspicious gaze.

"…Why do ya want leave before the coronation, anyway? Hell, why did you come knocking to my boat, demanding to leave right away, at this ungodly hour? Anyone else might think you got something to hide…"

"Err, I-I am needed elsewhere."
Taking several quick steps back, the girl inclined her head just slightly. "G-good night to you, sir."

Turning on her heel, the girl began to walk away at a speed that was just too fast to be leisurely or natural. The girl could feel the sailor's eyes digging into her back, like the weight of his gaze was leaving the imprint of a target on her flesh. Beneath the heavy material of her mantel, her hands rose up her chest and started wringing each other. Just as she was convinced she was actually going to have to run, she heard a bark of laughter ring out across the wharf.

"Aye, good night to you, girl. Careful on your way with all that gold ya carrying."

The girl tensed to a standstill as every sailor, dock worker, and any other waking soul within earshot, turned to look in her direction.

Suddenly, the only sounds to be heard were the creaking of the ships, and the crashing of waves against the shore.

The girl faltered for a second longer, before she finally managed to draw on some hitherto unknown source of courage. Admittedly, it was only enough to force herself to put one foot in front of the other, but at least she was moving. Not that walking did much to alleviate the searing feeling of at least a dozen eyes watching her movements, nor the feeling that her coin purse was all at once too heavy. Her breath sounded too loud, and her heart hammered against her ribs like it was trying to escape.

After what felt like the longest minute in the girl's life, she was finally clear of the wharf, and out of range of the rabble that had watched her leave. Feeling the hand of fear finally relinquish the grip on her lungs, the girl allowed herself a few breaths, before she resumed her walking. This time, though, she wasn't sure of her destination.

Her plan would have benefited from…nay, needed a passage via sea. To exit the city by land invited all sorts of complications, not the least that it might not be possible. But if not even a gold hungry seadog like that sailor would bite at her lure of wealth, what were the odds any would accept her offer? Until the coronation was over, not a boat would budge and she needed to leave tonight, let alone after the coronation.

The girl, in her aimless wandering, mindlessly turned down into a tight space between two buildings, one hand running along the rough brick as her thoughts continued to spin and drift.

For one, even if she did make it out of the city, what then? Her supply of gold, while substantial, would not last forever. Once these precious coins were spent, all of her contingences would fall apart, putting her into some real danger. Hell, her gold might actually put her into danger. While not one of those ruffians had made a move, just the sheer mention of gold had drawn their eyes. She wasn't naïve: outside of the city, bandits and brigands would have no qualms about robbing an innocent, if they didn't kill her first.

Slowly, slowly, the girl came to a halt. The hand that had been idly running along the wall shifted, moving to support her weight as she leant into the cool shadow of the wall.

…Maybe this whole idea had been ill conceived. There was still time to go back…

…No.

The girl shook her head. She couldn't just give up at the first hurdle. For every problem, there was a solution. She just needed to figure out what solution she needed right now.

Looking into the night sky past the cowl of her hood, the young woman cast a net into the swirling pool of her ideas. Without conscious effort, she began to fidget with a silver ring wrapped around her right index finger, her left fingers tracing it's warn surface.

…Really, what she needed more than anything, was someone who could protect her against physical threats. Everything else she could deal with, but just having someone could do all of the heavy lifting would make life much-

"You swindled me!"

"Huh!?" The girl jumped in place, turning left and right. For one fearful second, she was certain one of the sailors from the dock had cornered her, but she realized the voice was coming from a little ways away.

"The grain you sold me was molded! I couldn't even make a loaf of bread with the bushel you sold me."

Grain? Bread? Who was –loudly- arguing about bread at this time of night?

The girl briefly considered heading in the opposite direction of the voice, but decided to indulge her curiosity. It was just grain and bread, how dangerous could the situation be?

After ducking and passing though a few more twists and alleys, the girl had her answer- and it turned out grain and bread must have been a pretty serious matter in this part of town, judging by the fact everybody was armed.

The girl rapidly backed up around the corner she had nearly turned, letting out a strangled gasp as she did. A dread filled second passed before she finally resolved to peek around the corner, her pupils shrinking as she confirmed her fears that nearly every soul present was armed. Some of the weapons might have been crude, but the girl never the less felt a shiver of fear slink through her. The two men who were directly arguing were growing more furious by the second, and the girl had seen enough negations go south to know that it was going to reach the point where only bloodshed would satisfy both parties.

Just as she about to sneak away, however, the girl's eyes came to rest on one of the armed individuals. It was not their fine sword that had arrested her gaze, even though it was the only actual weapon in play, but rather the wielder.

"…Is that…a woman?"

A woman with rose coloured hair, armed with a sword, going up against three men? The observing girl had never heard of such a thing, and yet the swordswoman seemed to be barely phased by the odds.

Despite every sensible part of her screaming that she should just flee, the girl stayed rooted to the spot, eyes widening as rose-haired woman reached for her blade.

"I guess that's my cue."

• Love
Reactions: Saber
The three men that were slowly, and confidently, walking towards Violet were large in stature, but a bit lacking in physique. She wasn't really concerned about her well being with these three. They were very obviously not fighters, but she still wasn't going to completely underestimate them. The woman held her sword out in front of her as one man with a butcher's cleaver made the first move. Violet waited until he swung the cleaver down and she deflected it easily, tripping him in the process and he fell forward into a puddle behind her. When he got up again, his senses must've returned because he quickly made his escape from the situation. The two remaining decided to attack together after seeing their friend so easily dispatched.

"Don't let her get the better of you!" The merchant shouted, clearly getting frustrated with his "hired help". "She's just a woman!" Violet narrowed her eyes at the merchant, she was getting a bit tired of his sexist remarks. She made a mental note to thoroughly threaten him when this was over.

The two men rushed her and Violet blocked the one with the hoe, making another quick slash to cut the metal portion of the tool off. To add insult to injury, she kneed the man hard in the stomach which sent him to his knees, groaning in pain. The remaining man had an old long sword, but he was having some trouble wielding it. He took a swing at her and Violet ducked, bringing her own sword up. She knocked the blade from the man's hand and he stared down at her with a mix of shock and terror.

"Really now," Violet sighed as she rested her broadsword on one shoulder before punching the man hard in the face. He fell to the ground with a heavy thud and Violet rushed forward, bringing her blade to rest against the merchant's neck. "I expected a bit more of a fight since I was outnumbered, but I suppose a grain merchant who sells rotted goods must not have much coin." Her eyes turned hard as the merchant began to shake.

"I-I'm sorry!" He shuddered as he held his hands up in defense. "Ivan d-doesn't have to pay me!"

"And you'll stop selling molded grain?" The merchant nodded fervently as he swallowed hard. "And give Ivan the bushel he needs for free?"

"Yes, yes!" The merchant cried out as he brought his hands together in front of him and closed his eyes. "I promise!"

"Good." Violet smiled as she removed her sword and sheathed it behind her back. Her carefree demeanor returned as she turned back towards Ivan, who looked equally shocked. She walked over to him and folded her hands behind her head nonchalantly. "There you go, Ivan. A whole bushel of grain for free. Quite the deal, hm? So how about a discount on that room, eh?"

"After what you did for me, the room is on the house, and of course you'll get paid the money I owed him." Ivan smiled widely as he clapped a hand down on Violet's shoulder. The woman smiled and nodded, that turned out better than she expected. "Now, let's go back to the inn and have an ale to celebrate!"

"Well, I'm never going to turn down a free drink." Violet grinned as they headed back towards the streets. As they did, she noticed a shadowed figure peeking around a wall and she put her hand out in front of Ivan to stop him. She retrieved her sword once more and pointed it in the direction of the figure. "I know you're there, you might as well come out so we can figure out what to do with you."

• Love
The girl's felt her mouth fall slightly agape as the brawl played out. Well, calling it a brawl would be grossly underselling the display of skill from the swordswoman in its centre. It felt like some kind of fairy tale was coming to life before her very eyes, and it starred some kind of rose haired knight. She moved with a kind of practiced focus: her movements were not always graceful, but they were always made with a natural precision. And despite the sheer size of her sword, the woman was swinging the blade around with a speed and accuracy that the girl had seldom seen by utilised by knights.

Faster than she could follow, the fight was quickly concluded; the three untrained and undisciplined ruffians hadn't been able to land a single blow on the swordswoman, and she had managed to pacify all of them. The watching girl (who by this point was completely captivated) felt her heart seize when the swordswoman then turned her attention to the man who had been in command of those three hooligans. The girl was worried she was about to become a witness to a murder when merchant had a blade put against his throat, though thankfully the rose haired fighter seemed to be just interested in giving out some hard orders. The girl let out a sigh as the merchant was let free, and then stifled a laugh when the man fled like a chastised dog, yelping as he ran down of the alleys that surrounded them.

"There you go, Ivan. A whole bushel of grain for free. Quite the deal, hm? So how about a discount on that room, eh?" The woman turned to the only man remaining, flashing a cocksure smile as placed her hands behind her head.

"After what you did for me, the room is on the house, and of course you'll get paid the money I owed him." Ivan (who must have been the swordswoman's employer) laughed, looking overjoyed with this outcome. "Now, let's go back to the inn and have an ale to celebrate!"

"Well, I'm never going to turn down a free drink." The swordswoman grinned, falling into step with the man as they aligned themselves to one of the exits to the lot. Before they made it very far, however, something seemed to catch swordswoman's attention, since she halted her employer while scrutinizing the shadows. Indeed, if the observing girl was honest, it almost looked like…the woman's gaze was falling onto her…

"I know you're there, you might as well come out so we can figure out what to do with you." Reaching for the sheath on her back, the swordswoman lifted it to point-

"Wha-" The girl choked on her own breath when she realised she had been spotted. Ducking back behind the corner she had been peeking out of, the girl frantically shot her gaze around, desperately looking for some kind of safe escape route. Just as she was ready to bolt back down the alley she had initially travelled through, the girl just about managed to hear something through her panicky breathes. Or rather, what she didn't hear.

Despite being called out for her snooping, the girl couldn't hear the tell-tale footfalls of a purser. Despite the somewhat intimidating tone of her command, the swordswoman was actually giving her a chance to come out peacefully.

Showing a certain level of trust in the other party: the first rule of negotiations.

Running away from some kind of dangerous female mercenary was something the girl had no experience of (and hopefully never would). However, negotiations were a little bit more familiar. True, this could be some kind of ploy the rougher part of society used to get their victims to lower their guard, but the girl doubted she could outrun this particular pursuer anyway. At least trying to talk it out gave her something of a chance. Taking a deep breath, the girl adjusted her hood to ensure it covered her face, and stepped out from her hiding spot.

"H-haha, n-no need for alarm." The girl pushed her arms out from beneath her mantel, showing her empty palms. Through the now split middle of the clothing, one could just about spy an ankle length dress under the girl's expansive outer layer: the dress was fairly mundane in design, though was clearly just as expensive as her mantel. "I am afraid to confess that I am lost, and was drawn by the sound of your…confrontation."

The girl stalled out, realizing that even she wouldn't believe the truth if it was told by some cloaked figure that had just been caught spying. Reaching for what was hopefully a more convincing lie, she blurted out.

"I-I was actually seeking an inn to lodge at for the night. I believe I heard you mention something to that effect?"

• Love
Violet watched closely as a hooded figure emerged from the shadows. Her eyes narrowed slightly. it was easy to see the attire and build of the woman underneath, though she tried hard to conceal herself with her cloak. When the woman gave some excuse about being lost, Violet didn't believe her, but she could be telling the truth. Either way, she didn't think a confused woman was going to pose much of a threat to her, or Ivan even if he had been alone. Though it was odd the shrouded figure was traveling alone at this hour. Maybe she had just gotten lost on her way to an inn.

"Well you're in luck, miss." Violet sheathed her sword and clapped Ivan on the back. "This man here is the owner of the finest inn in Olarus. I'm sure he wouldn't mind giving a young lady a room for the night. Right, Ivan?"

"Why not?" Ivan beamed as he smiled at the cloaked figure. "I'll even give her a discount."

"Well aren't you being generous." Violet chuckled as she followed the man back towards the inn. "Follow us, ma'am, it's not a far walk and the streets are a bit shifty at night."

The walk back to the White Stag wasn't long at all, and it felt a little better to be back on a main street where the lamps lit up the darkness. When they entered the inn, Violet didn't waste time heading over to the bar for her free drink. She glanced back at the woman in the cloak, still a bit confused as to why she was really out after dark by herself, covered from head to toe, nonetheless. Maybe she was running away from somewhere, or maybe she was a criminal. Either way, Violet was going to keep her eye on the woman. She was more than a little bit suspicious.

"An ale, please." Violet said to the bar keeper as she removed the sheath and sword from her back and resting it against the bar. When the woman behind the bar handed her a mug of ale, Violet smiled and nodded at her before glancing back at Ivan who was looking for the guest book. "Do I have a limit on how many drinks I can have, Ivan?"

"Just don't drink me dry, Donovan."
Ivan shouted as he pulled the book out and set it on bar top. "What's your name, miss? So I can sign you in?"

• Love
For a few seconds, the only sound in that isolated lot that the girl could even hear was her own unsteady breathing. Only now that the blade was being pointed at her did the girl realize just how sharp and deadly the thing looked. If push came to shove, that thing could probably cleave her in two with very little effort. Thankfully, after a few moments of deliberation, the swordswoman sheathed her sword.

"Well you're in luck, miss." With an easy going clap on the back, the swordswoman gestured to her companion. "This man here is the owner of the finest inn in Olarus. I'm sure he wouldn't mind giving a young lady a room for the night. Right, Ivan?"

"Why not? I'll even give her a discount."

To the girl's great surprise, it appeared the man was actually being sincere.

"Well aren't you being generous." The rose haired woman turned to follow Ivan, briefly gesturing over her shoulder. "Follow us, ma'am, it's not a far walk and the streets are a bit shifty at night."

The girl's eyebrows rose slightly. She hadn't expected to be offered an escort, especially by a stranger who she had, officially, been spying on. Still, she wasn't going to turn down the offer.

"Thank you: I wasn't looking forward to wandering these streets alone, I must confess."

After that, the walk was made in silence. Well, silence from the girl, at least. She tried to reach for some questions or conversation starters in her head, but not only were most of her usual tactics completely useless for this audience, the venue of empty and shadowed streets didn't make for a pleasant conversation. She instead tried to enjoy the walk, although she had quite enough of the brisk night air for a tonight. When the inn finally rose up around the next corner, the girl was more than welcome for its offering of shelter from the chilly night air.

While her temporary escort quickly retreated to the bar at the back of the establishment, loudly asking about how many drinks she was allotted (how vulgar), the girl lingered on the threshold a moment longer. She briefly toyed with the hem of her hood, almost instinctively pushing the cloth off her head. She eventually thought better of it, and indeed pulled the hood closer around her. When she spotted a waitress giving her a curious look, the girl let out a nervous yelp of laughter.

"H-haha, I am afraid I'm suffering from a horrendous head cold. The doctors said I should try and keep my ears warm, I'm sure you understand."

The mention of doctors only seemed to cause the waitress more confusion, but thankfully she moved on with her tasks. The girl had barely sighed with relief when a voice addressed her.

"What's your name, miss? So I can sign you in?"

The girl nearly admitted that she didn't actually want to rent a room, before common sense reminded her that telling such a thing wouldn't be very healthy for her cover story. Clearing her throat, the girl replied,

"Selie, of the Asher family. Your smallest room will do, thank you sir." Selie's eyes drifted across the book Ivan was leaning over, noting that the payments from each other client seemed to have been made in silver. Silver…

…That could prove problematic. Although, it did offer up a particular opportunity.

Clearing her throat again, Selie put forth her best and brightest smile (not that one could see much of it with her hood up).

"I should pay upfront, correct? Well, let me just check my coin purse…"

After some ruffling and searching under her mantel, Selie put forth her hand across Ivan's table, the appendage closed into a fist. As discretely as possible, the cloaked girl let the single, shining gold coin drop onto the page of Ivan's ledger. The coin was immaculate, appearing as fresh as if it had been minted that very morning, and the lights of the inn danced across its surface.

Ensuring just enough time had passed for the man to realize what lay before him, Selie quickly but quietly placed her hand over the coin, looking directly into Ivan's eyes. With a low and careful voice, Selie spoke.

"Oh dear, it appears that, in addition to the silver I just paid you, I have misplaced a few other coins. It's funny how easy things are lost, don't you think? Money, the names in a ledger..." Selie gave the man a pointed look. "The memory of what a particular visitor to your inn looked like. Most funny."

With a deliberate and slow movement, Selie withdrew her hand, leaving the shinning gold coin sat in the middle of the book. With a final nod, the girl stepped around the innkeeper, and made her way towards the other end of the bar.

It's a good thing that she was still wearing her hood, because her mysterious and cool aura would have been ruined if anyone had seen how giddy her smile became.

Her first bribery! Her heart was thumping a mile a minute, but the pure adrenaline running through her was exhilarating. She had never experienced this kind of rush in her previous lot in life. She could honestly get used to this feeling, if it was always this easy to attain.

It was only after she was standing at the bottom end of the bar that she realized she didn't know why she had headed in this direction. It was mostly because it would make an appropriately stylish exit to her first illicit action. Now she was standing here, she was stuck in a limbo of not wanting to ruin her mysterious image, and the fact she didn't actually want a drink.

That was when her eyes alighted upon the rose-haired swordswoman from before.

The woman, true to the request from earlier, was indeed drinking from a nearly overflowing mug of ale. She looked perfectly at ease, like it was the most natural thing in the world for her to down a pint of ale after a night's work done, her blade always within arm's reach. Selie stood for a few seconds, simply observing the woman, when something clicked in her head.

Of course. This was the very picture of opportunity, sitting right before her.

With a measured stride, Selie stepped up to the bar, choosing the seat directly to the woman's side (out of respect, choosing the side farthest from the woman's blade). Daintily dusting the seat off before sitting down, Selie waited a few moments just to make sure her presence was at least felt.

"…Miss Donovan, was it? I just wanted to thank you, for taking the time to escort me to this inn." Without changing the tone of her voice an iota, Selie continued, "And offer you a proposition, one that I ensure will be worth your while."

• Love
After Violet's third ale, she finally felt her body starting to actually relax. Not that she didn't know how to on her own, but it was often hard for her to turn off her adrenaline after a fight, especially one that was so...disappointing. She'd barely gotten a work out from the three would-be fighters, and Violet really only appreciated the look of fear on the merchant's face when he'd seen his goons defeated. Still, the ale was helping ease her disappointment and she wasn't paying attention to much of anything, except when the hooded young woman came to stand by the bar.

Though she was shrouded behind her hood, Violet could tell this woman wasn't used to life on the streets or maybe even out of her home. She had dusted off a seat, which was more than unusual if she was used to traveling. And not to mention the fact that she was being overly formal. Miss Donovan? Violet smirked as the woman addressed her and finished the ale in her mug before setting it down, motioning to the bar maid to fill her up again. She wasn't really used to being addressed in such a polite way and Violet glanced over her shoulder at the woman before turning towards her fully.

"I'm sorry, miss," Violet cleared her throat as the bar maid filled up her mug again. "Bring me another mug of ale, Sophie, for the young lass here. She looks a bit green around the gullet." Sophie just nodded as she retrieved another mug, wiped it out and filled it up with amber liquid. She brought it back over to Violet, and the rose haired woman slid it towards the mysterious woman. "So, a proposition, hm? That you can ensure will be worth my while?" Violet grabbed her own mug and took a long swig before setting it back down. "May I ask your name first, miss? If you're going to offer me a proposition, I'd like to know who I'm dealing with."

Violet wasn't usually picky about her employers, but this woman was different. She wasn't the normal merchant or criminal who was looking to get out of a shifty deal or fight off a group of bandits. This hooded woman had a different air about her. Though she wasn't the usual customer, Violet wasn't one to turn away money. And by the looks of her clothes, this woman had the means to employ her. She would keep an open mind, for now, at least until she figured out how much money this woman was offering.

Last edited:
  • Love
"Bring me another mug of ale, Sophie, for the young lass here. She looks a bit green around the gullet."

"Oh, that won't be-" Before Selie could finish, a mug was pushed before her. The girl cautiously peered over its top, looking sceptically through the froth that foamed up from the drink. The ale was of a deep amber colour, and sat perfectly still in the plain mug it was situated in. Selie could get a whiff of the drink's strength, even from here.

If Selie was being completely honest the last thing in the world she wanted to do was to take even a sip out of this 'ale.' Unfortunately it is quite offensive to turn away an offered drink, and the last thing she wanted to do was offend a potential asset. Besides, wasn't the whole point of this little excursion to see and try new things? Maybe it tasted better than it looked. Or smelled.

Just as she was tentatively reaching out for the drink before her, Donovan spoke again.

"So, a proposition, hm? That you can ensure will be worth my while?" The swordswoman slammed back another hearty drink from her own ale, before turning her attention back to Selie. "May I ask your name first, miss? If you're going to offer me a proposition, I'd like to know who I'm dealing with."

"My name is Selie Asher, of the Asher line. At your service, of course." Selie inclined her head. That might have been a bit formal for a meeting that was taking place at a dingy bar, but Selie was always taught that politeness pays for itself in matters of negotiations. "The Asher family is a simple trading company: our name is not well known in the city, but I can assure you that our coin is as good as any others."

While she was speaking, Selie eyed up the drink was still sat resting before her. She had better actually take a sip or two, least she seem impolite. Wrapping both hands around the mug, Selie carefully lifted it up to her lips. The foam of the drink warped and shuddered as her movements disturbed the still surface of the alcohol, the amber liquid shifting as she slowly tilted the mug. Selie flinched slightly as the powerful odour of the alcohol hit her nose, but she pushed through and finally tilted the drink into her mouth. The alcohol had barely touched her tongue before she had lurched forward, slamming the mug down onto the counter with enough force to send part of the liquid spilling up and out of the mug, as she violently coughed.

"G-gods above, are you trying to poison me!?" Selie coughed at the shocked barmaid before thumping a hand against her chest, trying to dislodge the burning sensation out of the back of her throat.

That was, without a doubt, the single most vile tasting thing Selie had been unfortunate enough to ingest.

• Love
"Asher, hm?" Violet wasn't from the area, so she didn't know whose name was tied to what, so she just took Selie's word for it. "Well as long as your coin is good." She glanced at Selie as the young woman eyed the ale before finally taking a sip. The reaction from the woman was comical, and it would be obvious to anyone that Selie had never had an ale before. Possibly never had alcohol at all. Still, Violet couldn't stop the chuckle that vibrated from her throat as she finished what was left in her own mug and turned fully on her seat to look at Selie.

It was clear to the rose haired woman that Selie seemed to be somewhat...sheltered. So whatever proposition she was going to offer Violet wasn't going to involve beating someone up that had wronged her. Whatever she was going to offer was going to be interesting, or at least she hoped it would be. It would have to be at least interesting to pique Violet's interest. She waved her hand again to signal the barmaid, who already had a mug as she came over to replace the empty one. Violet smiled at the woman as she took the mug and smirked at Selie.

"Well, Selie," Violet sighed as she swirled her ale in her mug. "Where I come from, a deal is made with a drink. So we drink and you tell me about your proposition. If you finish the ale, I will take it." She raised her mug and smiled. "Cheers."

• Love
"I…Pardon me?" Selie shot a suspicious look at the swordswoman, after her coughing fit subsided.

She was going to have to finish the entire mug of ale? As in, she was going to have to drink the rest of this foul brew? She had barely been able to stomach that small sip from before, and now the only way to secure Donovan's assistance was to struggle through the rest of it? Selie wasn't sure if the rose-haired woman was being serious about deals being made over drinks, or if this was some kind of cruel jest.

Selie, briefly, considering calling the whole matter off and just leaving to find a new sword for hire. But she knew that would be childish; she would be rejecting some potentially potent help purely because she didn't want drink some common ale. That would be a bad decision through and through. With that in mind, there was really only one answer.

"…Very well, I will respect your customs. But you have to at least listen until the end of my proposition before you make a decision, agreed?" Selie nodded resolutely. She sure as hell wasn't going to down this rancid drink without at least some guarantees.

With that resolved, she turned back to the mug of ale before her. The barmaid had 'helpfully' refilled it to compensate for the amount she had spilled out earlier (she had looked most pleased with herself, to boot). So this was, without a doubt, an entirely full pint of ale. The thought somehow did little to make Selie feel any better about the situation.

With a barely audible gulp, Selie once again reached out for the drink, once again wrapping both hands around it.

Honestly, she questioned the whole logic behind this custom: surely drinking alcohol only made it more difficult to make critical decisions? If one was inebriated, they were more likely to act rashly or to not think a matter all the way through. Wouldn't it have made more sense to have drinks after the deal had struck, rather than during? Although she supposed it made a certain amount of sense when one considered what kind of people miss Donovan likely made arrangements with, in this rough line of work.

…Selie was going to have to accept that she couldn't stall for time forever.

Taking a large breath of air, Selie decided to just try and get as much down her in as few attempts as possible. Lifting the mug sharply, Selie's whole body cringed when the ale drained into her mouth, but she was more prepared for it this time. The hooded girl managed to hold the mug there for two respectful mouthfuls, but she couldn't hold her own after that. Slamming the mug down, Selie coughed when her mouth was finally free of that vile drink. Much to her despair, however, she realized that the total amount of the drink was not that much lower.

The girl shot an irate glare at the pink hair swordswoman. This was going to be a long night.

"…So, that proposition." Selie cleared her throat, trying to at least appear diplomatic. While speaking was only going to offer minor breaks between forcing this ale down her, it was the best she could hope for. "I am in need of an escort. I am asking you to become, for lack of a better word, my bodyguard for a somewhat extended period of time. I'm afraid that I don't - hang on…ulp…gods that's foul. I'm afraid that I don't have any idea how long I will need your services for, but I can assure you that I can meet whatever price you require.
"If you accept, I expect you to fulfil your role by both guarding my life against physical dangers, but to also assist me in circumventing any problems that would otherwise bar my progress. You will be free to leave at any time you wish, but-" Selie took a moment to continue her progress on conquering the ale mug. She had built up to three whole mouthfuls, and the mug was quickly draining to the halfway point. Selie felt a little proud, despite herself. "-but your rewards will be greater for your persistence."

…Hmm. While the taste remained as foul as ever, the ale was starting to create a warm 'glow' in the pit of Selie's stomach. It was somewhat similar to the feeling one felt after taking a few sips of wine, though it had a different intensity. Maybe this was the appeal of these otherwise poor drinks? Regardless, Selie turned her mind back to the matter at hand. After glancing around once to confirm that they weren't being spied on (not that she would actually be able to tell, considering her hood cut off most of her peripheral vision), Selie leaned towards Donovan.

"There is only one true condition to this proposition, namely that I need to leave the city immediately. I lament to inform you that I lack the means myself, and thus I shall be relaying on your efforts to spirit us beyond the city's walls. I have a rough plan for after that fact, but until that point, I will be relaying on you." Selie ceased her leaning, giving the swordswoman a nod. "Consider it your first test, if you accept."

The hooded girl allowed herself a moment to consider her mug. It still sat about halfway full. While the odd glow that was growing in strength in the pit of her stomach was helping somewhat, she was loath to bear swallowing this muck for another half. Selie decided that the best course of action would be to just finish this whole charade off quickly.

Screwing up her face, Selie lifted the mug up and began to guzzle down the drink as quickly as possible. Even when she felt hot tears begin to prick at the edge of her eyes as a result of the wave of ale that was sliding down her throat, Selie pushed on. It was with a colossal sigh of relief that the girl finally slammed the empty mug down, though she also felt curiously lightheaded. Thinking about it, it probably hadn't been a good idea to hold her breath the entire time she had been chugging the ale down.

"W-well, I have satisfied your little ritual, c-correct?" Selie pointed an accusatory finger at Donovan. "What say you to my proposition?"

• Love
Violet chuckled as she watched Selie drink the ale. She listened silently, drinking her own ale and listening carefully to the hooded woman's words. A body guard. That made more sense to Violet, but the the thing that caught her attention, and kept it, was the undetermined amount of time. That small fact meant that Selie not only needed to leave immediately, but she needed Violet to stay with her for an extended period of time. Now, Violet would usually do anything for coin, but she never stayed with one employer for longer than forty-eight hours, that's how long it usually took to finish a job.

The rose haired woman hummed to herself as Selie continued, and continued getting a bit drunk, before the woman finally finished the ale. Violet smiled at Selie before waving her hand at the bar maid once more. The woman brought two more mugs and Violet nodded at her. She had to hand it to Selie, she'd managed to finish her ale and now Violet was contemplating on whether or not to take her up on her offer. On one hand, she could definitely use the coin, if Selie was good for it. Though on the other hand, could she take a mysterious woman's word for it? Would traveling with Selie keep her from making coin elsewhere?

"Very interesting indeed." Violet hummed as she swirled the ale in her mug, feeling the effects of the alcohol and if she was to be quite honest, she was finding herself wondering why Selie needed to leave the city so soon. And unfortunately, her slightly drunken curiosity was over powering every other reason to decline the offer. "All right, Selie, I'll take the job. Now," She pushed the other mug to Selie and smiled. "Let's celebrate with a drink." A soft chuckle escaped Violet's throat as she took a long drink, already thinking of how to get out of the city quickly and quietly. Especially since they wouldn't be able to leave until dawn in her condition. "Don't worry, you don't have to finish this drink."

Violet usually traveled on foot, since she was never in a hurry to be at one place in a certain amount of time, but now seemed to be the reason needed to justify buying a horse. She finished the ale with a large sigh and slammed the mug down on the bar top. Her hand moved down to her belt to feel the full coin purse that was secured there. She knew that she had more than enough for two horses with some left over. Though, unless she could haggle, she would need to take another job to make up for the horses. Even with Selie paying her.

"I'll leave first thing in the morning to buy some horses." Violet muttered as she pulled a silver coin from her pouch and handed it to the bar maid with a wink. "Just be ready to leave as soon as the sky lights up and I promise I'll have you out of this city before the rooster crows."

• Love
Selie's face had quickly switched through several expressions: her slightly wobbly expression of determination light up with relief when the swordswoman had said she would accept the job, though slowly soured with apprehension when it became clear they wouldn't be leaving the city until first light. (Of course, that latter expression might have also been a reaction to the new mug of ale that was placed in front of her.)

The plan that Donovan offered made sense, of course. Travelling any significant length of the country without a horse to carry you the distance would be a fool's tactic, and thus securing a few mounts before they set off would be a wise investment. However, the fact that securing the horses would require the pair to stay put until morning was causing Selie no small amount of anxiety. The strict time limit that the girl was trying to keep track of in her head would allow for such an approach, but it would be really pushing things close; in her head, she should have already been half-way to the next town by now, and sitting here waiting for dawn wasn't going to make things better.

Admittedly, Selie didn't exactly have a better plan. The only course of action she could see from here was to march immediately to the nearest stable, bang on the door until someone woke up, and hope that a generous offering of gold would tide things over. Considering that 'brilliant' plan hadn't even worked on that sailor on the docks, Selie doubted that she would find much more success in this situation. Still, she couldn't abide sitting here for much longer.

There was nothing for it; she was just going to have to request that they make an early departure. Selie half considered demanding it, since she was the employer in the situation. But this was hardly one of her family's workers she was talking to. While she would ultimately be the one providing payment, she supposed what she had entered into with Donovan was more of a partnership. To that end, it would probably more proper to treat the matter with a little more tact in the negotiations.

"…I understand your reasoning, and under most circumstances, I am sure it is the correct one. However, may I request we leave even earlier than that? The sooner we are beyond the city's walls, the better."

• Love
Even though Violet was drunk, she was aware enough to see the slight flash of panic that crossed Selie's face. The woman started to fidget and frowned when she saw the new mug of ale. When Selie asked if there was any way they could leave sooner than what Violet had planned, the swords woman lifted an eyebrow slightly, taking a slow drink from her mug. At this hour, she was sure no merchant would be awake, or willing to sell her a horse, let alone two. Violet finished the alcohol in her mug and sighed. She did enjoy a challenge, and really, what was this but another challenge?

"Hm, I don't know if I could buy a horse this late." Violet hummed, tapping her chin with her finger as she glanced up at the ceiling in thought. Though she assumed in a city this large, that there had to be some black market dealings. "But if you're so eager, I don't see why I can't try and figure something out. For extra coin, of course. For short notice, you understand."

Violet stood up and stretched her arms over her head. She felt the woozy, off balance feeling that came with being drunk, but other than that she wasn't seeing double or lightheaded. She walked over to where Ivan was counting some coin behind the counter and clapped the man on the shoulder. "Ivan, if you don't mind, I'd like my coin now. The young lady is in need of a horse."

"Of course," Ivan smiled as he knelt down and brought up a medium sized coin purse. "Though I'm not sure where you'll find someone willing to see you a horse this late at night." Violet just shrugged as she took the purse and weighed it in her hand, a small smirk growing on her lips. She secured the pouch on her belt and then turned back to Selie.

"Let's get going, Miss Mystery," Violet called as she moved towards the door. "Maybe having another woman with me will make someone feel sorry for us and sell us their horse."

• Love
"Hm, I don't know if I could buy a horse this late…But if you're so eager, I don't see why I can't try and figure something out. For extra coin, of course. For short notice, you understand."

"Yes, absolutely! Believe me, money is no object." Selie nodded eagerly, quickly jumping to her feet as her rose haired companion climbed out of her seat. As Donovan was stretching and shaking her limbs back into function, Selie none too subtly pushed her mug of ale back towards the bar maid, silently asking her to dispose of it. While getting out of the city quickly was her primary concern, if making a swift exit also meant she didn't have to take another sip of that damnable brew, all the better.

Donovan moseyed over to the innkeeper, Ivan, and retrieved her payment for the night's previous work. Selie took some interest in the exchange: the air of practiced ease did certainly give the impression that the swordswoman was comfortably in her element. Maybe you simply got used to these kinds of exchanges when you work as a mercenary for long enough. Although, she had been drunk quite a bit of ale before Selie had started speaking to her…

"Let's get going, Miss Mystery," Donovan's voice cut through to Selie, who looked up in time to see the swordswoman making her way to the inn's door. "Maybe having another woman with me will make someone feel sorry for us and sell us their horse."

"Ah, yes, of course." Selie double checked she still had all of her items on her person (coin purse, check, satchel with travelling supplies, check, and of course her travel log book). After making sure everything was in its proper place, Selie quickly moved to follow behind her bodyguard. Just before she followed after Donovan, however, Selie took a second to bow to the innkeeper.

"Thank you very much for the hospitality. Please, keep the payment for the room as thanks." Selie lifted her head, and gave the innkeeper a pointed look. "And as a reminder to what we talked about before, yes?"

Following that master class of subterfuge, Selie quickly moved to follow Donovan out of the inn's door. The blast of cold night air slammed into the girl like a physical attack as she stepped out into the pale moonlight. Turns out she had grossly underestimated how warm the insides of the inn had been compared to this cold night. Selie hoped that the chill that passed through her had been purely based on the cold and not at the nervousness at being exposed and in the open again.

"Right, where to first, Miss Donovan?"

Last edited:
  • Love
Violet inhaled deeply before exhaling again. The night air was always calming to her, not to mention that there were less people around and in her current, slightly inebriated state, she needed space to lose her footing now and again. She glanced at Selie when the woman asked where to go first, and the rose haired woman rubbed her chin in though before surveying the area. The best place to start would be to find the nearest gathering of people. Anyone out this late would know the goings-on of the city at night, they would have some useful information, surely.

"Let's just walk around and see what the night brings, hm?" Violet wasn't really worried about much at the moment. If they couldn't find horses, there was no reason they couldn't haggle with a traveling merchant and hitch a ride on their wagon. Or even just start walking out of the city, though that would take a bit more time, of course. "If you see anyone, let me know and we'll inquire on where to purchase a horse. Hopefully they will be cooperative."

Violet guided Selie down the darkened street and it didn't take them long to see a small group of men crowded around a street lamp. There was a young man standing in front of an overturned barrel with a three cards and he was shuffling them around quickly. Violet knew of this street trick and she knew that the young man was scamming those men out of their coin. Who was she to say anything though? So she moved to stand off to the side and watched the boy play his game.

"Oh, so sorry, sir." The lad said in a disappointed, yet upbeat tone. "I'm afraid you picked the wrong card." The man who had lost grumbled to himself before digging into his pocket and slammed four silver pieces onto the barrel. "Better luck next time, chap." The boy gathered the coin and swiped the cards before he noticed Violet. "Would you like to play a round, miss? You may have better luck than that guy."

"Not tonight." Violet cleared her throat and took a step closer to the boy. "I was wondering if you knew anyone that would be getting rid of a steed or two. My friend and I need to buy one as soon as possible." The swords woman nodded her head towards the hooded figure shadowing her and the boy leaned over to glance at Selie.

"I do know a bloke."
The boy fiddled with the cards in his hands and tapped them on the barrel. "Goes by the name of Goffrey. He's got a bit of livestock on the outskirts of the city, just a bit past the western gates where the guards tend to ignore all the commotion. He usually has a few horses with him and he'd sell anything for a bit of gold."

"Perfect." The woman turned towards Selie and grinned. "To the west gate then." Violet waved to the young man before tossing him a gold piece and then started towards the gate. "So, are you going to tell me exactly why you need to leave the city so soon? I don't usually pry, but you're an odd one. You've got fancy garments, your speech is very eloquent. You don't seem like you come from a 'simple trading company', Miss Selie. So tell me a bit more about yourself."

It wasn't a request. Normally Violet could care less about a job, but being a body guard, she needed to know exactly who she was guarding. Or at least know why said person needed to be guarded. The more information, the more efficiently she could do her job. With all this mystery around Selie, there was no telling who would be coming after her or why. Surely the woman couldn't have gotten herself into that much trouble, but who knew for sure?

• Love
Selie had looked with some fascination at the card game being played on the barrel, thoroughly mystified at its mechanics. She herself knew of a few card games, but nothing that was executed like what she was witnessing. Not to mention, did people really play these kinds of things in the dead of night on dusty street corners? This was a thoroughly enlightening experience.

Selie took a moment to whip out her travel log, and jotted down a few notes (card games more common on streets? New card game; three cards) and a reminder to sketch something out when she had the time. Unfortunately, by the time she was finished with that, Donovan had already finished her conversation with the boy presiding over the barrel card game, and the mercenary was already moving on. Stuffing her log back into the dress pocket, the girl hurried to catch up with her escort.

Just as Selie was about to fish around for some awkward conversation starter, Donovan beat her to the punch.

"So, are you going to tell me exactly why you need to leave the city so soon? I don't usually pry, but you're an odd one. You've got fancy garments, your speech is very eloquent. You don't seem like you come from a 'simple trading company', Miss Selie. So tell me a bit more about yourself."

Selie's breath caught slightly, and one of her steps nearly faltered. She had been expecting some questions, certainly: even she knew that her getup was hardly inconspicuous, and that Donovan was likely to ask some probing questions before too long. Despite that, Selie had held onto the miniscule hope that maybe the allure of coin would throw the swordswoman off the scent. No chance of that now, it seems, so Selie would have to simply sate the other woman's curiosity.

Selie idly fidgeted with the silver ring wrapped around her right index finger, using the therapeutic results of the action to calm her nerves before she spoke. After perhaps a few seconds of uncomfortable silence, the young woman finally gathered her breath. Here goes nothing…

"You are correct, Miss Donovan. I was not being wholly honest when I told you I hailed from a middling trading company. The truth of the matter," Selie turn her gaze to lock onto Donovan's eyes directly, even risking pushing back her hood an inch to show her face the slightest amount clearer. "Is that we used to be much more prominent. The Asher family's coffers used to swell with coin, and our name used to be the envy of every trader in the land. But…we have recently fallen on hard times."

Selie sighed, her entire body deflating with the action. Her already encompassing mantle seemed to almost swallow the girl up in its velvety folds.

"My father passed away not long ago, finally leaving us to find mother in the heavens. Unfortunately, that left us Asher children under the care of our aunt, who never had the head for business that our father had. Too many poor investments have set us back considerably, and we were forced to sell many of our assets to cover our loans. Worst of all, my family now lacks the means to recuperate our losses, actually lacking the money necessary to make money. At our rope's end, we have resorted to…alternative means." At this, Selie's face fell into a grim countenance, and her eyes moved off to stare into space. The girl's mouth opened, but she hesitated, and her mouth closed shut. The girl maintained this hesitating silence for a few moments, simply putting one foot in front of the other. She finally nodded to herself, and turned back to her armed companion.

"I've been-" Selie suddenly chocked on her words, and she floundered in place as her gaze snapped to focus further down the street.

There, just turning the corner several metres ahead, two armed and armoured guardsmen stepped into view. Both were covered head to toe in chainmail, with the royal family's insignia stitched onto their tabards. One of the men was carrying a flickering lantern, while the other was content to simply lean against his spear as he walked. They seemed to be quietly conversing, and one even barely stifled a chortle as they continued to patrol right in the direction of the two women.

Despite the lackadaisical air of the guards slowly pacing towards them, Selie rather frantically yanked her hood back down. Stranger still, the girl moved to place Donovan between her and guards, and even made the effort to twist her face away from their general direction. As the space between each twosome grew shorter, Selie started to cringe into a half bowing position, as if hoping she would just fuse with Donovan's shadow.

"Please keep walking by…"

Despite seemingly whispering to Donovan, it came out more like prayer.

Violet listened quietly as she continued to walk down the dark street with Selie. The woman's story was unfortunate, but that was the way of life. Hard times seemed to be falling on everyone but the royals these days. Taxes were going up and the poorer people in the cities could hardly afford grain. For a very brief moment, Violet though of her own past but she pushed the thought from her head when she heard Selie falter while she was speaking. She glanced over and watched the woman yank her hood farther down, if possible, and moved to Violet's other side.

Blue eyes narrowed in confusion before she noticed the guards walking towards them. They were speaking idly and patrolling before they neared, one glancing at the women as they neared. "You ladies are out a bit late." Violet looked up at the armored guard and shrugged her shoulders. "That's quite a big sword you're carrying, miss. What would you be needing that for?" Violet rolled her eyes before stopped and turning towards the guards.

"That's quite a flimsy spear." She said, inspecting the weapon. "Surely that can't be of any use in any situation." She turned her back towards the guards and put her hand on Selie's back to move her along. "I can see why you would be admiring my sword." The other guard laughed as the one holding the spear stumbled over a retort. The guards continued on their way as Violet chuckled and sighed contentedly. "I wonder if they even know how to do their job."

The women took a right turn down a larger street and could see the west gate in the distance. Just as the young man had said, there was a small building that was lit up and a few people gathered around. That must've been where Goffrey set up shop. Violet took the lead, cracking her neck and straightening her shoulders as she approached the building. There were a few goats tied to a post and a cage that was full of poultry. As they got closer, Violet could see that the building was a small stable with a cow and a donkey, but nothing else that she could see.

"What can I help you ladies, with?" A large man with a full black beard, but no hair, greeted Violet and Selie. "The name is Goffrey, I've got some chickens for three coppers cheaper than the other vendors are selling for. Or perhaps a goat? She's a great milker."

"We're actually in the market for some horses, two, exactly." Violet looked around the rotund man and frowned. "But I see you don't have any."

Goffrey looked around the area before putting his giant arm around Violet's shoulders and ushering her towards the alley between the buildings. Every fiber in Violet's body was telling her to resist, but she knew that if she needed to, it wouldn't be hard to overpower Goffrey. The alley opened up to a small, open area and blue eyes widened when she saw four horses tied up along the side of the building.

"Just...procured them this morning. All in great shape and strong as an ox." Goffrey released Violet and planted his hands on his hips. "Go ahead and take your pick." Violet nodded as she went and inspected the steeds. There was a grey stallion, a black mare, and two sorrel mares. They were all in good formation, strong, though the sorrels were a bit lankier than the other two. Of course Violet saw the cliche in the colors, but the grey and black horses were the best choices.

"I'll take these two." Violet turned back to Goffrey and he clapped his hands together.

"That'll be three gold crowns." He said and Violet dug into her pouch to give him his coin. "Give me a few moments and I'll get them tacked up for you." Violet nodded as she moved towards Selie with a grin on her face.

"What luck." The rose haired woman sighed as she tied her coin purse shut once more. "You take your pick, Miss Asher."

Selie was silent as the guards grew closer, her hidden hands fidgeting and gripping under her mantle. She could feel her heart thumping out a rapid beat in her chest, and her breath suddenly felt far too shallow. The clack of her shoes and Donovan's boots were slowly drowned out by the gentle chime of the guard's rustling chainmail. Even though she was turning her gaze, and the deep shadows of the evening hide her features, Selie felt all at once like her face was far too exposed.

Please just keep walking, please just keep walking…

"You ladies are out a bit late."

Selie felt her feet come to a stop. Her fidgeting ceased as her entire body locked up with nerves. Her heart rate was starting to become comparable to a rabbit's. She could just about vaguely hear Donovan making some sort of reply or comment, though her ears had too much blood rushing through them to hear it.

She tried to cut through her panic and concoct a plan. Maybe she could just talk her way out, in a way that kept her face hidden? Or maybe she should just bolt now, leaving Donovan to buy her time? Anything was comparable to having to explain why she-

Selie nearly jumped in place a hand gentle pressed against her back. It was too gentle and guiding to be a guard making an attempt at grabbing her, however. Selie craned her neck slightly, and saw to her relief that it was simply Donovan carefully encouraging her room. Hell, the mercenary had somehow managed to talk their way past the two guards while she was at. Selie allowed herself a breath of relief as the two slowly made their way down the street, the distance between them and the guards growing considerable.

After that point, the rest of the walk was made in silence. The hooded girl was thankful for the opportunity to let her heart rate slowdown, and the time to gather her nerve. Donovan even showed the mercy of not asking any questions about Selie's botched explanation of her background. The sells sword was evidently more understanding than her hooded employer had imagined.

…Selie honestly felt a little bit bad for her temptation to abandon the rose haired woman, honestly.

It wasn't long before the pair polled up at their destination. The half-baked animal stable was well lit, though looking a little bit worn down by the elements. Before noticing that little detail, the first thing that hit Selie was the god-awful smell. The hooded girl let out a small cough, and tried to subtly cover her nose by faking a need to scratch it. While the place was clearly well looked after, there was no getting around the fact that the entire area smell strongly of animal waste. Selie had been to stables before, several in fact, but they had the variety or strength of smells that this place had. Curiously, Donovan seemed unaffected by it: maybe the mercenary lifestyle meant you just got used to such minor hardships?

Donovan herself quickly set about inquiring after horses, and just as quickly found that the equine were kept in an out-of-the-way space to the back of the building. Selie half wondered after this; maybe it was to keep them out of the way, so they wouldn't be spooked by the other animals? The only other explanation for keeping them out of the way was that they were…stolen horses…

…Was Selie about to buy stolen horses?

The thought made the girl oddly giddy. Her first bribery, and now her first acquisition of stolen property. This was certainly turning into an interesting night. She made a mental note to write all this down, and to maybe look into if she should be worried about the thrill she was finding about the whole thing.

In any case, she and Donovan were led to the horses by the owner, Goffrey. Donovan took the time to inspect their potential steeds, before settling on one gray horse and one black one. After paying the proprietor of the stable (Selie made a mental reminder to reimburse the costs), the rose haired swordswoman turned to Selie,

"You take your pick, Miss Asher."

"Ah, right." Selie nodded, before carefully approaching the horses. She first approached the gray - Selie took a second to glance under the horse, slightly embarrassed by the action – stallion. The horse gave her a curious look as she carefully walked up to him, but remained happily still when she carefully petted along his withers.

"Aww, you're a friendly little horsey, aren't you?" Selie cooed as she continued to stroke, giggle slightly when the horse gently poked and prodded his nose at her. "Hey, I think he likes me! I'll take this sweetheart. Does he have a name?"

That last question was directed at Goffrey, though Selie continued to fuss over her chosen horse even as she asked that.

• Love
Goffrey had just reappeared with some saddles when Selie had asked if the stallion had a name. He glanced at Violet who just shrugged. It was clear that Selie was not very keen on the goings on in this sort of deal. The horses, if they had names, were not known by Goffrey. Violet rubbed the back of her head as she moved towards the black mare and untied her as Goffrey set one of the saddles down for her.

"Oh, well," Goffrey scratched his chin as he began to saddle up Selie's horse. "You could probably rename him. Since he's yours now." The man offered a large smile as Violet began saddling her own steed. The black mare was tall and thick, not built for speed, but could carry some weight. That was good, not that Violet was heavy by any means, but sometimes she would acquire things that she wanted to bring with her that would be too heavy for her to carry alone.

It didn't take long for the horses to get tacked before they were ready to leave. Violet led her horse back out of the small area and towards the western gate. "It seems like we're going to get moving before dawn, just like you wanted." Violet glanced back at Selie before wrapping the reins around her horse's neck and stuck her left foot in the stirrup. She swung her other leg up and over into the saddle before grabbing the reins, her horse taking a few steps forward in anticipation.

"So any particular direction you're headed in, Miss Asher?" Before Violet got an answer, a few guards came from around the corner and pointed their weapons at them. "Looks like your business has been found out." Violet looked at Selie and smirked. "We'd best be going, in case they want their horses back." She dug her heels into the mare's sides and urged her forward. The horse snorted before launching forward into a gallop and racing past the guards at the gate. They needed to keep moving if they wanted to lose the guards, since they were on foot, they'd have a harder time even if they did get on their horses.

Violet followed the road for a few minutes, taking a side road in case the guards were actually trying to follow them. When Violet was sure that they were far enough away, she slowed her horse to a walk and turned around to see if anyone had actually followed them. The dim lights of the city in the distance through the darkness and Violet sighed softly as she kept her horse walking forward.

"I hope they didn't catch the big man." She commented quietly as they moved towards a heavily wooded area. "Once we get through these woods, we could probably stop for the night. Or we could camp in the woods off the road, if they were looking for us they'd have a hard time with how dark it is tonight. It's up to you, really."

• Love
"You could probably rename him. Since he's yours now."

"Hmm. In that case…" Selie tapped a finger against her chin. After a moment or two, her eyes lit up, and she turned to the grey stallion. "How is 'Alexander?' A nice, strong name for a nice and strong horse?"

Alexander, as horses are wont to do, didn't really react to the suggestion.

"Eh, it will grow on you." Selie assured, petting along the stallion's withers.

Before long, both horses were saddled and ready to move out. Selie followed Donovan's lead and gently guided her horse out to the front of Goffrey's establishment. She was just double checking the saddle when Donovan's voice reached her.

"It seems like we're going to get moving before dawn, just like you wanted."

"And thank goodness for that…" Selie muttered under her breath, before turning to nod at the mercenary. The sooner they could put some distance between them and the city, the better, though caution and care would be needed.

Donovan herself wasted no time in mounting up, pulling herself atop her mare. Selie followed suit, climbing up onto Alexander's back in one smooth motion-

-Selie yipped slightly as her footing in the stirrup slipped slightly, and she wobbled during her ascent up Alexander's side. The horse whinnied a protest as her faulty climbed caused her scramble against the equine, Alexander leaning to one side thanks to her uneven weight on his body. After some panicky flailing, the girl managed to scramble up the saddle, sighing with relief when she finally sat secure atop the horse. After another a moment, a shamed pink managed to sneak onto her ears.

"…It has, uh, been a while since I last had the chance to ride. I may be out of practice." Selie sheepishly coughed out. Thankfully, Donovan either hadn't noticed, or else decided to show some mercy, simply asking.

"So any particular direction you're headed in, Miss Asher?"

"Yes. A small farming village rests to the south not far from here, it's-" Selie's explanation was quickly drowned out by the click and clack of metal. Selie twisted around just in time to see an entire squad of city guards come barrelling around the corner. Judging by the shouting and weapon brandishing, they certainly weren't a farewell party.

"Oh Gods." Selie's eyes shrank to pinpricks as the squad sprinted towards them.

"Looks like your business has been found out. We'd best be going, in case they want their horses back." Donovan, meanwhile, sounded perfectly amused by the turn of events, not the least when she kicked her horse into a sprint.

Selie didn't need any guidance to do the same. The girl kick desperately kicked Alexander forward, trying her best to keep her eyes forward and not think about the half a dozen men catching up behind them. The echo of the two horse's hooves against the cobblestone overtook the sound of guard's rushing footsteps, but did little to distract Selie from the fact they were going to have to rush past the guards currently on watch at the city's gate.

Selie's heartbeat thundered in time with Alexander's gallop. Grasping the reins in a vicelike grip, Selie guided her horse to follow as closely as she could behind Donovan's mare. The mercenary seemed unperturbed, even as the gate's sentries stood to block their escape. Selie fully expected the woman to change direction or to at least pull to a stop, but the swordswoman only seemed to increase her speed.

Hands shaking, eyeballs shaking in her skull, Selie didn't even notice at first when her hood when flying back due to the speed of her horse's gallop. By the time she did, they were almost at the gate. Selie's gasping breath halted in her throat as all at once they were right before the gate. Donovan continued her relentless charge, closer and closer and-

-the guard's nerve shook first! The gate sentry dived out of the way at the least second, and Donovan barrelled past him. Selie followed through the opening her escort had created, and letting out a shaky but relieved breath when they finally cleared the city's gates. The shouts of the guards soon faded into the wind, and the lights of the city walls were soon simply spots of lights growing ever smaller.

For a few minutes, they continued their gallop, putting a respectable distance between them and the city. After cutting through the side roads, soon they were well and truly into the countryside. With the wilderness growing more and more with every metre they flew, it wasn't long before the woodlands that surrounded the capital were looming over them.

Selie felt her heart calming down just as Donovan slowed her horse down to a more reasonable walking pace, and the younger girl joined the swordswoman in turning to check behind them.

The city's walls already looked so much smaller. It was a thought that actually shook Selie slightly. They had only been riding for a short while, and the walls of the capital already looked much less imposing from this distance.

…She was actually out, wasn't she?

Selie let out a breathless snort of a laugh, her expression a mixture of disbelief and amazement. She was actually out in the world, after actually galloping from the city like some kind of fugitive. She had imagined this scenario so many times in her head that the reality of it seemed unreal, like she was in some kind of dream. But the night wind on her face, the panting of her horse, and the still rapid beating of her heart told her that she wasn't dreaming. She had actually made it out.

"…we could probably stop for the night. Or we could camp in the woods off the road, if they were looking for us they'd have a hard time with how dark it is tonight. It's up to you, really."

"Pardon?" Selie shook herself awake, and turned to her companion. The movement of her head caused a strand of hair to fall into her vision, which she absently brushed to…one…side…

All at once Selie remembered that her hood had fallen during the chase. And, more importantly, he face was completely exposed.

Yelping, Selie grabbed her hood with both hands flipped it forward, trying to bundle her head into the cloth as much as she possibly could. After a moment or two of silence, Selie finally sat up properly in her saddle, clearing her throat.

"Well, I propose that we make as much distance as we can before we stop, so clearing the woods before we rest sounds like a plan. You are the more travelled of the two of us, however, so I shall submit to your choice." A second of hesitating, and the girl couldn't help but ask. "You don't think that they got a good look at my face, do you?"

• Love