Break Me Up Inside

The Cult of Thieves

Information is power, and power is easily acquired. It can be bought, inherited, or even sold for the right price.

To that, money is the catalyst for power. It is the universal tangibility to denote status.
Weapons are the tools that power uses be it inanimate or living. Evidence riddles the land in more ways than darkness.

All of these things are visible. Tangible.
But there is something far more valuable: invisibility.
A count may fall prey to the sifting of grain slipping from their grasp, their power lost.

A duke may find his purse featherlight with the disappearance of coin.
A dull blade in the hands of the oppressors cannot cut through flesh nor uprising.

We are the stick that stirs the pot; the whispers that form cohesion. We are the shift in the peripheral and the unsolved upon the mind.
We are The Cult of Thieves.

Plot

Faledrin has always been cast to the wayside. It was a sorry pock upon the glittering face of the Allied Kingdoms. Were it not for their expert whalers, they would have very little importance. Fallenites look to their king with quiet disdain as the gap between the rich and the poor broadens. What little farmland they had was picked dry each harvest with far too little in return for the labor. The people had to choose between suffering or rising up in retort.

The capital of Windfeld rested upon the crest of the Glassy Sea; a port town that expanded to house the nobility among the royal house. They separate themselves from the common miscreants that poured through the ports by a guarded wall. And while the common citizen toiled through their work and drank away their sorrows, whispers grew within the city's underbelly. The Cult of Thieves had finally heard the cries of Faledren.

Known for more than just common criminality, the Cult of Thieves is more rumored to be for the people. Their activity rises during Faledren's darkest days, often working against the rich to provide for the poor. While no one knows of its members, they are revered as heroes, at least among the commoners. They are the bane of nobility and the saviors of the common citizen. No one often witnesses them at work, for most of it is expertly performed without the slightest hint until the morning when tables have turned.

Those within the Cult of Thieves are few, but they know their anonymity is critical. An uprising is in order as the rich grow fat on the spoils of the poor. And perhaps it is time to focus efforts on the greater concern: he who wears the crown.

OOC

This roleplay takes place in a fantasy setting having themes of espionage, assassinations, and criminality. The setting is within my current expansive world of the Ascender Chronicles, but no prior knowledge is required to join this roleplay. While their title suggests petty theft, their thievery is in more than just lining their pockets. They can take gold or lives or livestock. Whatever the job may be in the realm of their expertise. Please see the below details on what's new for the coming recruitment phase as this is an ongoing roleplay.

The Coming Recruitment

The Cabal, an organization of powerful Shadow Casters located in Edros, is rumored to have taken over Dradmida, an essential ally to Faledrin hailing from Edros. This organization was once regarded as a helping hand to those in need granting riches to help Kingdoms in their endeavors. Not many know they have taken over Dradmida, holding the royal house hostage as they operate from behind the veil of the king.

Those who do know are essential in protecting Faledrin. A war is brewing, further stirred by Prince Jerian of Faledrin the night of Lady North's Masque. For years the kingdom's nobility had been funded by the Cabal to create an army of Tainted to which they could turn on command. They were successful, and while they anticipated revealing their efforts to a Cabal representative the night of the masque, Prince Jerian informed them of the traitorous turn of their benefactors who had a similar deal with Dradmida before it was taken over.

And so they sought to send a message to the Cabal by executing who they thought was the Cabal representative that was actually a member of the Cult of Thieves under cover. The execution would also be a demonstration of their achievements with the Tainted thereby showing the Cabal that they would not be so easily taken.

With this, the Cult of Thieves will need to bolster their ranks for the coming tribulations. Not only are their own corrupt, but war threatens the kingdom that struggles to survive on its own. Members and allies of all different assets and professions would be of great value. Some will be individuals the Cult has actively been watching for some time, and others may be ones to approach the Cult of Thieves to form an alliance.

Available Roles

All new CS submissions must adhere to the following roles. More than one player is allowed to make a CS for one role, and out of those CSs the best one will be chosen. Questions regarding lore or help are welcome, but does not guarantee a spot in the roleplay. I currently have a very dedicated group of roleplayers that understand this story can take us a year to complete as we all keep our real lives priority.

To note: these roles are meant only as guidelines and to be used as a foundation you build upon. Personality, appearance, and background details are left up to you.

Please choose from the following roles:
The Whisper

Hailing from the Edrosi kingdom of Krei, The Whisper is also a formal title for this character. They are experts at being unseen; the fly on the wall that not only gathers intelligence with ease, but moves in for a kill without ever being noticed as an assassin.

The Whispers are a small order, much like Faledrin's Cult of Thieves. Though where the Cult of Thieves has their focus only on Faledrin and its betterment, The Whispers are designed by the noble house of Kalset to gain power both in blackmail and in quiet assassinations of Krei opposers. Since it is only speculation they exist (as they do their jobs well), no one can rightly blame Krei for any strange deaths both in and outside the kingdom.

Suggestions:

This character will need to be a chameleon of sorts, and possibly charismatic. I likely won't accept any who are too edgy and unrealistic.

They do not have to become a part of the Cult, but they will need to ally with them. To that I would suggest (after acceptance) we collaborate as to your character's ulterior motives and if you'd like for them to be known.

You do not have to have previous knowledge of anything in this universe, but I highly encourage questions even in your development so that you can build a strong character you will enough.

Requirements:
  • Must hail from Krei
  • Must be human
The Tainted

A human afflicted by Shadow from the hands of Faledrin's nobility, this character will have been a servant under one of the noble houses. The Tainted are this universe's equivalent to the werewolves in supernatural lore, only their transformations are triggered by something specific to them.

Suggestions:
It's highly recommended that interested players read the most recent chapter of the roleplay.

Requirements:
  • Must be human
  • Must have been a servant within Faledrin under a noble house
The Scavenger

This individual is an adventurer of sorts who procures artifacts around the world for profit. They're very knowledgeable in old things, and it is evident they would have had some sort of education at some point as they can read a fair many languages.

Suggestions:
They could really come from any background and would likely be a driven and intelligent person.

I highly recommend they are looking for the tome known as Ambrose as it could tie them in nicely with current events.

Requirements:
  • Must be a traveler/adventurer
The Fading Light

Inner Light is a form of unnatural magic by which relies on a morally good soul to be wielded. The Maldviri are commonly known to practice such magic, and in recent years have come to the Allied Kingdoms to trade and form alliances.

They are also known for having fought against Shadow Magic for centuries, and is the best defense against it. Those with Inner Light are taught how to combat Shadow and protect the innocent.

Suggestions:
This character could be an ambassador, vindicator, or just a regular Maldviri in Faledrin for purposes of trade and learning of their new allies.

They cannot be evil, but since the role is "The Fading Light" you are more than welcome to explore a "gray area" Inner Light practitioner, or perhaps one who is struggling with the concept of morality, or perhaps an individual who has lost their way but still carries the knowledge to combat the Shadow.

Requirements:
  • Must be human
  • Must be Maldviri
  • Cannot be evil
The Defector

A warrior, soldier, magi, or fighter from either foreign or domestic, this individual will be someone who was once on the side of the Cabal and the growing Shadow Army. They will have valuable knowledge in the coming stages leading up to a possible war and will have the abilities to help combat it on the front.

Suggestions:
If you choose a warrior or a soldier, I recommend choosing an origin either in Faledrin, Dradmida, Bastillos, or Krei. Not much is public knowledge about the latter three, so feel free to contact me for any questions regarding Edrosi kingdoms.

I do not recommend them having been part of the Cabal. It would make things a little complicated as it would require a lot more lore knowledge and I want you to be able to jump into the roleplay without breaking a sweat.

They can be a Shadow Caster, though! Perhaps someone recruited by the Cabal to join their army and do their bidding. For more information on Shadow Magic, I highly recommend reading about it in the Encyclopedia section under "Magic."

Understand that this role will come with the Cult of Thieves HEAVILY skeptical of your character. Trust will have to be earned through roleplay.

Double crossing in mind is allowed and must be disclosed to me as the GM or in the CS before character approval.

Requirements:
  • Must have been on the "bad guy" side before defecting
The Outcast

This would be an individual who perhaps does not fit in, or perhaps they were exiled by their people for their beliefs or lifestyle. They would have valuable knowledge, skills that would be of interest to the Cult of Thieves, and will have been under their radar for some time. Faledrin is their home, whether they were born in it or came to it having no other place to go, and from this their skills were honed.

Suggestions:
The nobles, at this point in the story, are split between those completely unaware of what is happening and those who have sided with the Cabal to raise and army. It could be in the realm of possibility to create a noble character who disagrees with this, but they will have to have been disagreeing for months in order for the Cult to take interest in them. If the nobility route is chosen, they will need to be clever, cunning, and have found their way into the upper echelon to gather information about them and what they're up to. They may have even been at the secret viewing played out in Chapter 2 of the plot.

Another suggestion could be an outcast from a foreign land. Elves and half-elves are not welcome in Faledrin, but not unheard of as Quinn's brothel has an elf under his employ and the Cult of Thieves has their own half-elves in recruit. If this option is taken, their backstory needs to be run by me and you will need to read about magic and choose a natural form of magic.

They could also be a regular Fallenite cast out by their family for a reason of your choosing.

There could be an orc outcast as well. The nature of why they were ostracized or exiled is up to you.

A Maldviri outcast can be one who practices Shadow Magic or even one who chooses to reject magic and become a nomad.

Requirements:
  • Must be exiled or ostracized
  • Must live in Faledrin
  • Must have a reason in skills for the Cult to take interest in them
The Fugitive

On the run from their oppressors or the law, this person will have skills such as slight-of-hand, understanding of combat, and a record that put them in their predicament they are now running from. This person is a Fallenite who was caught and imprisoned, perhaps even serving time in a foreign land, but once was on the Cult's radar as a person of interest. Having escaped their imprisonment, they are back on the table as a possible recruit, though with some hesitancy.

Suggestions:
You can have them escape a Fallenite prison if you'd like, but don't feel like that's what you have to do! There is also the option of serving time in an Edrosi prison or one of the Allied Kingdoms. They could have also been a slave in Baladur as Baladuri would often capture and enslave foreigners who wronged them.

What they were in for is up to you, but bear in mind they would have conformed to what would be of interest to the Cult of Thieves. They wouldn't be entirely sloppy! Perhaps they were even framed?

Requirements:
  • Must be on the run
  • Must have skills of interest to the Cult

Current Players

Current players will be allowed to make a second character after I close CS submissions to newcomers and choose the new recruits. Any roles not filled will be up for grabs at that point.

New recruits will all be given someone currently a member of the Cult as a mentor to not only provide the new characters with someone they can turn to, but for the new players to have someone they can go to for easy collab roleplay to implement into the story should they choose.

CS Requirements

CSs can be coded how you like, but all CSs should include the following along with a realistic face claim (please no anime):

Name:

Race:

Magic: (must be pre approved by me via PM)

Appearance: (describe in detail as well as provide a face claim. Photos and realistic artwork only. No anime! Due to lore reasons, no red heads are allowed.)

History: (Please be detailed. 3+ paragraphs)

Weapon(s) of choice: (be realistic please)

Specialization for the Cult of Thieves (espionage, information, assassination, acquisitions. Choose one and describe how your character has this as a specialization as this will help define how they became one of the Thieves)

A writing sample (3+ paragraphs of your character)

no-lightbox
Just Testing Nothing To See

Is it worth it, let me work it
I put my thing down, flip it and reverse it
Ti esrever dna ti pilf nwod gniht ym tup I
If you got a big, let me search it
And find out how hard I gotta work ya
(Come on)

Bradley Henderson

asijdfoijawe
as;odijwer
a;woerjhwoier
aser;oawher
awer;oaweuirjwer
awe;rohwaerjno;wefn;owaeuir
waerouhwa;eori

xSKvDxV.png

Greetings, Starfighter...

You have been recruited by the StarLeague to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan armada.

J5kNzbX.jpg

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Donec a porta magna, nec auctor massa. Pellentesque egestas iaculis vehicula. Sed id dui eu mauris condimentum molestie sed eget urna. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Praesent vestibulum maximus lacus, et sollicitudin erat auctor aliquam. In sed elit sit amet lectus aliquet fermentum at vel magna. Etiam consequat ex quis diam imperdiet rhoncus. Quisque vitae erat enim.

Fusce accumsan mattis ligula eu scelerisque. Cras scelerisque vitae augue non malesuada. Suspendisse ullamcorper ipsum vel odio tristique, id auctor nibh ullamcorper. Aliquam eu sollicitudin risus, quis pretium ante. Maecenas non ipsum nec est fringilla rhoncus. Vivamus in eleifend dui. Cras varius purus non nisi vulputate, sed pretium sapien efficitur. Mauris sit amet massa in ex egestas semper. Nullam sed quam et quam scelerisque ornare id quis lacus. Proin rutrum nec libero eu facilisis. Sed auctor purus ac suscipit commodo.

Duis efficitur, velit sed cursus cursus, lorem massa fermentum velit, quis sodales risus ipsum in justo. Quisque tempor massa quis nisl laoreet vestibulum. Quisque commodo euismod arcu non consectetur. Sed pulvinar euismod purus, non tristique orci tempus ornare. Ut id est egestas, eleifend turpis eget, accumsan ipsum. Nulla vulputate tincidunt neque ut ullamcorper. Quisque vulputate nisi eget diam malesuada consequat. Proin convallis, dui sit amet sagittis euismod, elit felis blandit elit, vitae efficitur libero leo sit amet justo. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos himenaeos. Nullam convallis metus sem, sed luctus est egestas a. Maecenas ut sollicitudin velit. Praesent tempus aliquet est ac lobortis. Etiam hendrerit non lacus sit amet scelerisque. Aliquam erat volutpat. In libero ante, rhoncus at auctor in, condimentum vel purus.

A3VvyOR.gif

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Donec a porta magna, nec auctor massa. Pellentesque egestas iaculis vehicula. Sed id dui eu mauris condimentum molestie sed eget urna. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Praesent vestibulum maximus lacus, et sollicitudin erat auctor aliquam. In sed elit sit amet lectus aliquet fermentum at vel magna. Etiam consequat ex quis diam imperdiet rhoncus. Quisque vitae erat enim.

Fusce accumsan mattis ligula eu scelerisque. Cras scelerisque vitae augue non malesuada. Suspendisse ullamcorper ipsum vel odio tristique, id auctor nibh ullamcorper. Aliquam eu sollicitudin risus, quis pretium ante. Maecenas non ipsum nec est fringilla rhoncus. Vivamus in eleifend dui. Cras varius purus non nisi vulputate, sed pretium sapien efficitur. Mauris sit amet massa in ex egestas semper. Nullam sed quam et quam scelerisque ornare id quis lacus. Proin rutrum nec libero eu facilisis. Sed auctor purus ac suscipit commodo.

Duis efficitur, velit sed cursus cursus, lorem massa fermentum velit, quis sodales risus ipsum in justo. Quisque tempor massa quis nisl laoreet vestibulum. Quisque commodo euismod arcu non consectetur. Sed pulvinar euismod purus, non tristique orci tempus ornare. Ut id est egestas, eleifend turpis eget, accumsan ipsum. Nulla vulputate tincidunt neque ut ullamcorper. Quisque vulputate nisi eget diam malesuada consequat. Proin convallis, dui sit amet sagittis euismod, elit felis blandit elit, vitae efficitur libero leo sit amet justo. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos himenaeos. Nullam convallis metus sem, sed luctus est egestas a. Maecenas ut sollicitudin velit. Praesent tempus aliquet est ac lobortis. Etiam hendrerit non lacus sit amet scelerisque. Aliquam erat volutpat. In libero ante, rhoncus at auctor in, condimentum vel purus.

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: rissa