2. Slow As Molasses
Writing Levels
  1. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Euphoria Script; IM Fell Great Primer; Fjord One;
x
Adelaide Rosier
Eight galleons. That was apparently all Adelaide had been worth to her so called friend Chris. When the female had accidentally overheard the Hufflepuff she had retreated quickly, not wanting to confront him and his friends at once as she returned to the Potions classroom where she had remained longer to finish her brew.

Felix Felicis, the irony of it seemed gut wrenching disgusting now as she heard the word 'lucky' echo through her mind once more rolling out of Chris's mouth. A lucky score, he called her, and an easy win.

Gripping her hands together the Ravenclaw calmed herself down as she heard the door open, the familiar spring of his step nearing in on her. Too near, now, the heat of his body sending an awful prickling sensation down her skin that she could only describe as a trail of disgust.

"Adelale," he called her by that sarcastic nickname. Because her name was too fancy and too hard to remember. It had annoyed her from the beginning, now it set off a blazing anger within her that she had to rear in lest she was to hex the Hufflepuff on the spot. He was not worth a suspension, or worse, an expulsion.

"Adelale?" Chris repeated when she didn't respond, and Addy knew that she had to act now to keep the upper hand, her hand reaching out for her bag without sparing the other a look.

"I have ten galleons. Is that enough?" The coins in her purse had been carefully saved, meant to be splurged over some extra reading that she wanted to do for the upcoming holidays. A shame, truly, but Adelaide found that there was more importance in getting rid of pests rather than entertaining herself.

Chris eyed her, first bewildered and confused and then annoyed, anger setting in as a frown set on his face.

"What's the meaning of this?" The question came out harshly, in a hiss and Adelaide knew she had hit him where it hurt. A common reaction she had seen with many adults from her circle when she tended to speak too much.

"The bet was eight galleons, right? I'm offering you a better deal," she calmly explained, but Adelaide knew she was anything but calm within. Something was trembling, shaking, and perhaps it was aching as well. But she was paying it no heed now, forcing herself to focus on the present scene where Chris's head was slowly turning redder, the humiliation clear on his face, but nothing that compared to her own pride and confidence that had been shattered by a mere laugh.

"It will be on the table, should you want it. Consider yourself done with me," the female had continued as she closed her bag once more, the purse safely returned as Adelaide prepared to leave.

But nothing was ever easy and while for Adelaide the pain and turmoil was safely contained within, to be ignored and to be dismissed, Chris had different plans with his own.

"Not so fast," he called, a hand painfully clasping around her wrist as he pulled her back, the anger still burning and demanding her attention. "Don't act innocent. You wanted this. Why bother?"

The words were spoken so spitefully that the female had no clue how to respond, her throat thick as she pulled her wrist back with a glare.

"Little-miss-perfect, who could ever be good enough?" Chris had scoffed the words and Adelaide had no answer, not to the familiar whispers now turned into insults thrown straight at her.

"You know why no one wants you?" The question was met with disdain as Adelaide wanted to retort that she had plenty of friends. But that would turn it into a childish argument of is and isn't to which she didn't want to indulge.

"You are a bore, Adelaide. A bore with nothing else to offer than your own arrogance."

To this Adelaide sucked in a breath as she wondered if she had ever hated the sound of her own name so much as she did now. Exhaling she shut her eyes instead, allowing the silence to remain before she faced Chris again.

"Eleven galleons. And never speak to me again," the female offered, her hand reaching out for her purse again as she pulled out the last golden coin. Caia would have to treat her on their next trip to Hogsmeade. Or maybe Adelaide could fall ill, for she did feel sick, terribly sick.

@Ritual Lobotomy

Text colour: #B4AAB6

• Sympathy & Compassion
Reactions: Ritual Lobotomy
cc3eacd9029a302f41f22fcb94d30d29.jpgVIRGILIUS HILDEGARD

Interaction: Adelaide Rosier - @Nemopedia

Not all students in his way managed to move aside in time for Virgilius to have a clear path through the middle, but it did not seem to bother him nor distract him from the pile of papers he read. His peripheral vision helped with great hearing did wonders helping him navigate between the students. There was an apology, then a greeting, then another. And professor Hildegard did not miss a single one. Hand laid against his chin was a typical subconscious gesture indicating that, regardless of acknowledging those around him, his mind was mainly occupied with the content of the parchment.

The Center for Alchemical Studies has been blooming this time of the year. Perhaps he could visit once the finals had been concluded. Meeting up with so many great minds of alchemy was a rather tempting offer - aside from the main point of the letter that Mosi Omran so generously forwarded him hours after had excitedly announced his discovery to professor Hildegard via the fireplace in his office. It always brought him great joy hearing from his colleagues and dear friends back in Egypt.

As he descended into the Dungeon area, fewer people were lingering around, and, quite frankly, it was one of several reasons why professor Hildegard was perfectly content with his little nooks. They were relatively private even in the middle of a workday. For that reason, the rustle and voices coming from the inside of Potions Classroom managed to rip his attention off the line he was currently reading.

"And it is with great excitement that I can announce this. We've successfully produced a prototype that-"

"The bet was eight galleons, right? I'm offering you a better deal,"

That what? It escaped him with the recognition of the voice. But the Potions Club was not until Thursday. For a moment, a silent panic of a multi-tasking perfectionist failing to remember proper dates of his obligations has set in. Did he? Was he already growing old, senile, and way over his depth in things to do?

No. Highly improbable. The more he had contemplated it, the more unlikely it seems. So what was then miss Rosier doing in the classroom outside all scheduled activities and without at least letting him know? It was unlike young Ravenclaw to do anything that would even remotely violate rules and regulations.

"It will be on the table, should you want it. Consider yourself done with me," Adelaide Rosier spoke again behind the partially opened door. And she was not alone.

"Not so fast. Don't act innocent. You wanted this. Why bother?" A level of anger he hadn't expected. Still, he patiently waited just behind the door. He waited for Adelaide Rosier to fight back.

"Little-miss-perfect, who could ever be good enough? You know why no one wants you?" the boy continued spitting hurtful words, but she still said nothing. Did she allow that spoiled child to speak to her in such a fashion? Avoiding being roped into conflicts himself, Virgil would admit he was impressed with her mental endurance if the conflict hadn't already begun and miss Rosier happened to be on the wrong end of it.

"You are a bore, Adelaide. A bore with nothing else to offer than your own arrogance."

Well, that was just absolutely not true. She had to have something to say to that one. Nothing.

Professor Hildegard exhaled lightly through his nose and shook his head. It was slightly disappointing, but at that very moment, addressing Chris Macmillan's aggressive approach was of greater importance. It was unacceptable on his watch, and especially in his classroom.

"Eleven galleons. And never speak to me again."

"Step away this instant, mister Macmillan," Virgil spoke up immediately after entering the classroom. As usual, the tone of his voice did not seem to be following the urgency of his words. Moreso, he sounded relatively indifferent. However, a persistent glare served to the boy was clear enough, stopping any further discussion.

Once separated, professor Hildegard briefly eyed Adelaide Rosier and the brew in front of her. As ambitious as always except, he had wondered whether brewing Felix Felicis under such emotional stress was anything short of ludicrous. He had addressed her with the same tone and indifference as before.

"Eyes on the cauldron, miss Rosier. I would like to see what your plan is to recover this brew from an obvious overcooking."

Giving a straightforward assignment to Adelaide, professor Hildegard finally spared more attention to the offending Hufflepuff.

"Ignorance is not an excuse," the professor spoke up after a brief pause. "Please, leave my classroom as you have no business being here outside of lesson hours," he requested calmly, gesturing towards the door.

"We will discuss this in the meantime. I am confident that your esteemed father would like to know about all of these creative ways you are using your allowance in." Any form of protest was quickly cut off.

"I am deducting fifty points from you for inappropriate conduct with a fellow student and an additional twenty for entering the classroom and disturbing a highly sensitive, time-consuming brewing process." If anything he heard in the class ever got memorized in such a thick, limited head. Virgil could hope.

The door closed lightly behind the boy that seemed to need no additional reasoning to leave, as much as he found it to be something to protest about — a blissful silence.

"That was quite the presentation, miss Rosier," he jested, finally getting a moment to lay down the received letter and a small, flat, paper container that came with it.

"It is also highly unexpected of you to simply barge into my classroom like that. Is everything alright?" He was not a blind nor simple man. He was confident such scenes did not emerge from stability. Regardless, his level of prying depended on his students' will to talk. He gave her a fair chance. "If there is anything you would like to take off your chest before you even come close to any other ingredients or completely ruin your brew, now would be the time to do it."

• OMG
Reactions: Nemopedia
x
Adelaide Rosier
Was professor Hildegard's appearance truly so surprising seeing that the classroom they were standing in was his to begin with?

Adelaide thought not, but she startled all the same when he had appeared, suddenly speaking up as he told Chris to step away from her. The Hufflepuff had an even wilder startle, nearly jumping through the roof as he heard professor Hildegard in that wild and animalistic way of one getting caught doing something bad.

She was already looking down in the cauldron before the professor had told her, but not to pay attention to the brew which was indeed overboiling as she quickly reached out to try to fix it. The shame was high on her cheeks for getting caught into such a humiliating scene of her own naivete.

Ignorance wasn't an excuse, indeed. Adelaide knew that, and yet her ignorance had led her into the arms of the likes of Chris. A male she had thought that she could like outside of her group of friends. Someone who she thought could genuinely like her as well.

It was silly to think that such a thing was meant for her like with her peers. Nothing was ever easy in regards to Adelaide, not from birth and not today. And in there, perhaps, ignorance would have perhaps made her happier instead, for it was breaking her heart right now.

"But, profess--" Chris still managed to protest, but the potions professor wouldn't hear of it as the points were swiftly deducted from Hufflepuff, a fear clamouring around Adelaide's own chest as she wondered if Ravenclaw was to lose any points. How would she explain it to her peers? How would she be able to face professor Hildegard himself, who so recently had become the head of Ravenclaw himself?

Merlin, did she feel like a failure right here and then.

And her eyes were still fixated on the cauldron, even long after that she had put out the fire and it had stopped bubbling. The potion was a mess and the recipe a failure, but Adelaide couldn't focus on that for once as she kept her fists balled, her breath even as she stared and stared into what was supposed to be golden liquid while she heard the man on.

"I had unfinished business," was her response after a short silence, her voice curt and her answer short. "It is done now, I will leave the galleons as compensation for the potion," she continued, swallowing thickly as she tried to muffle away the cropping emotions rising from her throat.

She didn't want those galleons back anymore. Tainted as they were.

Text colour: #B4AAB6

Last edited:
  • Sympathy & Compassion
cc3eacd9029a302f41f22fcb94d30d29.jpgVIRGILIUS HILDEGARD

Interaction:
Adelaide Rosier - @Nemopedia

So peculiarly vague. Virgil's eyes narrowed slightly at her response - a tell-tale sign that he was unhappy with it. Whenever several other side-questions rose from the student's answer, the answer was a failure. But for once, professor Hildegard managed to bite his tongue to the obvious critique he had. Teenage problems were complex ones, and while he had seen a fair share of them already, no two were the same. Dealing with a brand new one felt like he had never done it before.

In those few moments of his silence, miss Rosier gave up on the haggle galleons spread out on the table. Almost rejected them while justifying it with compensation. Nonsense that managed to provoke a well-measured response from the man.

"Plenty more supplies came and went, miss Rosier. I've never been interested in asking for compensation, and I am not planning to begin such practice anytime soon. I trust you know that. If anything, it is quite insulting, I have to admit."

Theoretically, yes. In any other circumstance, Virgilius would consider it an attack on his ethic. But the knowledge that such words would never come from the Ravenclaw on a typical day stamped an extreme redundancy all over his statement. Still, miss Rosier's defense was no better. A proud young witch of her sort would feel the humiliation harder than the rest. He understood as much.

While she still insisted on dwelling on her self-loathe and embarrassment for which, quite frankly, Virgilius believed there was no reason, he approached the table. His hand glided over the tainted cauldron and landed on a pile of coins, spreading them out. There were indeed eleven.

"That being said," he spoke up calmly, seemingly vanishing the galleons into a thing air with the palm, his other arm extended towards the professor's desk.

"An exchange is more appropriate."

With his finger aimed at the desk, he gestured rhythmically eleven times. Immediately, eleven shiny galleons, all forming a perfect line, hovered across the classroom and landed in front of the Ravenclaw.

"Self-appreciation isn't valued with a few pieces of metal, miss Rosier. But if replacing them makes it easier to cope with, then be my guest. But no student from my house will reduce themselves to object's worth. So please, do better for yourself," he requested with polite authoritativeness. "Don't take mister MacMillan's humiliation as your own."

Going through a minefield that was adolescence, kids with guidelines as strict as Adelaide's were, tended to have it the hardest. And while he had better things to do than concern himself with teenage love problems, he was also there to protect his students from each other as well. There was no worse enemy to a teenager than other teenagers, not even when you were a magical one.

"And yes. I will take you on the offer to clean up the mess you've made, please," professor Hildegard spoke up again, seemingly unrelated, turning his back to study the letter further in the meantime. "I might have a project you would like to participate in. To get your mind off things."

Last edited:
  • OMG
x
Adelaide Rosier
'What's there to spill your tears about?' Adelaide could hear her mother's scrutinising voice once more, 'you were the one who allowed this to happen,' the feedback continued and Addy balled her fists as she agreed. She had allowed herself to open up and leave herself vulnerable for hurt.

Thank Merlin that professor Hildegard seemed to be of the same mind, unperturbed as he continued on in the same cold manner as he had addressed Chris before with. 'I am confident that your esteemed father would like to…' The sentence could also apply to her. Adelaide's family was of no small branch either, her name carrying a load and indicative of the wealth of history and money they had. She had gulped at that thought, the thought of how her father would react.

'Be wiser,' she figured he would say, in that distant tone in which he let the rest know that was all he had to say of it and that the rest was to be left to be decided by his wife, her mother.

"My apologies, professor," the female had thus said, knowing that was what adults like to hear when they reprimanded their children. What she didn't expect was to be given eleven new galleons, galleons that hadn't been hers before, but yet could have been once upon a time for a galleon could be exchanged so many times and none would be any wiser.

Adelaide suddenly felt silly for her ill-begotten feelings earlier, her eyes still trained on the grain of the wood the tables were made of, staring beyond the gold that had been returned to her in every amount she had already cast off earlier.

Was this supposed to be comfort? The Ravenclaw blinked a few times fast as she swallowed down the emotions that threatened to well up again. Professor Hildegard was by no means warm, not at the moment, or even close, yet it felt like the best comfort to have right now. A polite distance so that she could maintain her own emotions without feeling the need to make her feel worse, or to even blame her for what happened.

"I wasn't, professor," Adelaide managed to speak, her voice still clipped as she tethered the line between firm and steadfast and the mumbling demurity her mother despised so much. "I was merely teaching myself a lesson," she followed up, wincing at how much worse that sounded. Self-punishment, really? But the words had been let out and she couldn't take them back from the still air in the classroom when professor Hildegard offered her a distraction.

Perfect. She needed something good to occupy her mind with. Something that would keep her thoughts from slipping away. Even if she hadn't offered to clean. Even if she hadn't offered to stay. It was better than allowing herself to wallow in solitude, or worse, face anyone else that could be considered a friend.

"What is the project, professor?" she thus inquired, slipping back into that usual demeanour of hers that earned admiration as ire in so many of her peers.[/div]

Last edited:
VIRGILIUS HILDEGARD

cc3eacd9029a302f41f22fcb94d30d29.jpgInteraction: Adelaide Rosier - @Nemopedia

Miss Rosier's response hadn't escaped his ear nor his attention, and neither did the choice of words she used to justify the situation. While initially nudged to respond, he decided against it right after. The girl needed no more challenging time for one day than she was already forced to endure, regardless of her ability to cope with it. All things aside, she was still a being - an emotionally shaken one at that.

As expected, his not-so-subtle nudge in the right direction seemed to have given the young Ravenclaw a boost she needed to, at least seemingly, get her head out of the sand and retrieve a portion of her focus. Enough of it to inquire about the project mention, in the way she usually would. It was an expected behavioral change and, therefore, nothing that Virgilius felt the need to praise. However, he felt relieved that the atmosphere cleared out if only enough to be workable.

"Well, miss Rosier," professor Hildegard started with his back still turned towards the professor's desk, studying the parchment with a list for a moment more before he lifted it along with other pieces of the letter, and carried them back to Adelaide's desk. "I have recently gotten an exciting assignment myself. An excellent opportunity to contribute to a new potion," he proceeded to explain further while he hovered the necessary equipment over to the desk.

"Language barrier may be a bit of an issue, as you can see," Virgil alluded to the letter in Arabic. Beautifully and flawlessly written, but likely unknown to the girl nevertheless, "But translating it for your knowledge won't be an issue. I will be happy to do so."

He fell quiet for a moment, assessing the selected equipment. "And we seem to have everything here. Right! Wonderful."

There were hardly many things that pushed professor Hildegard to show a trace of genuine excitement, but an opportunity to create certainly did the trick. While still mild, regarding Virgilius Hildegard, it was a significant improvement.

"We are going to attempt to create a Scoping Potion," Virgil announced halfway to the blackboard. "That, of course, is not necessarily its name. Merely a way of distinction for the time being," he proceeded to clarify as he reached for the chalk, meticulously writing out the current name of the concoction.

"You will find a wrap on your desk. It contains carefully selected runespoor eggs. You may carefully place them out. If you will, please," professor Hildegard instructed, proceeding to add more notes on the blackboard, seemingly having no issue in talking and writing at the same time.

"The idea is to use specific runespoor eggs that were laid only from the far right of the creature and use them to turn the individual that drinks a potion temporarily into something of a sneakoscope," he suggested pausing to assess the written points.

"Theoretically, when paired with a correct plant combination and a proper brewing process, it could make us able to temporarily detect lies, deception, and disguises without any previous knowledge. Seems like a handy idea, doesn't it, miss Rosier?" Naturally, it was a light jab in the light of the recent events, and it was remarkable how the moment was perfect for introducing such a concept.

"That being said," he proceeded after a short pause, "Easier said than done." Trial and error was a large part of the process, for professor Hildegard perhaps the most intriguing one.

"A very talented bunch of brewers worked on it for years, and I do not expect us to be any more successful immediately, but at the very least, we have the honor to learn from their attempts and make our own."

Temporarily completing the writing, Virgilius laid down the chalk, dusted off his hands, and made his way back to Ravenclaw carrying his notebook stuffed with writings, formulas, and seemingly random scribbles, all in unusually sensible chaos.

"Two heads are better than one, miss Rosier, so tell me. Which plants do you suggest we try out based on your current knowledge of their effects?" he asked casually, going through the notes.

It seemed like a question that would unnerve many students as it required; well. Creative thinking. But unlike what appeared to be a popular opinion in her peer group, Adelaide had more than what it took to think outside the box whenever she would allow herself to do so.

• OMG
x
Adelaide Rosier
In all of her fanciful flights of studies Adelaide realised that she had made an important oversight. To learn, but not to understand, and this was pronounced as the letter was shown, though briefly, with its foreign script taunting her that she couldn't understand it.

It briefly made her forget about her own lamentations, her sadness replaced by a curiosity as she eyed the letter and then the professor who offered to translate.

She wanted to ask the man where he had learnt the Arabic language, and how, but held herself back as the man proceeded without much ceremony, introducing the runespoor eggs and the concept of the Scoping potion, a vaguely named potion with its implication mostly being in the main ingredient. But even that was swiftly explained as professor Hildegard turned towards her, the lightest stab towards her that just stung ever so lightly.

Of course the professor had seen through her. There was nothing else to be expected from the man. Averting her eyes Adelaide had thus not dared to meet his gaze, her fingers catching each other as she rubbed the top of her thumb over the nails.

"It sounds invasive," she responded, and those were her feelings in truth. It reminded her of the art of legilimency, but made more accessible for the common crowd who were unable to pierce through minds. Nonetheless, the thought excited her, to be allowed to be part of such a project.

A thousand-and-one obvious ingredients came up within her mind, dragon claw amongst the many, but professor Hildegard had asked for plants specifically and so Adelaide remained quiet for a bit longer as she sorted through her mind and recalled the plants with properties useful that could help. Known potions such as the truth serum and the wit-sharpening potion came to mind first, their ingredients recalled as she also tried to reach further.

"For a scoping potion I'd imagine that the mind of the user needs to be opened first, taking away any barriers and forcing intuition to prevail over the reliance of senses," Adelaide started to muse as she wondered why exactly the professor had asked her for plants specifically. Had that been the only part of the research that they hadn't delved into yet?

"Mandrake root might be a nice starting point, for its versatile usage and its use in the Oculus potion, which we can use as a base to open the mind of the user," Adelaide started, thinking in the traditional direction first of her western education. One look over at the foreign letter reminded her of something else instead as she drew in a breath.

"The ginger root is used in the wit-sharpening potion, but doesn't the east prefer the properties of the rare ginseng?" she mused before returning home once more as she recalls that it would be easiest to work with ingredients from the homebase.

"Considering my earlier speculation of opening the mind and sharpening intuition perhaps the stimulation of the third eye might be useful, which flowers such as the primrose and cyclamen are said to help with."

To this Adelaide opened her own notebook, flicking through her own notes before landing on one particular word she had written down, a finger tapping on top of it.

"Since the runespoor eggs stimulates mental agility, what remains is the stimulation of a third vision rather than our regular vision. Poppy seeds might be interesting to use."

"And of course the common snowdrop flower and sage, stabilised with powdered unicorn horn to enhance the properties and make the mixture safe to use…"

By now Adelaide may have forgotten the original quest of plants, as her mind wandered off towards other magical creatures that were said to harbour truth and see through lies. The sphinx, the xielin, there were so many. Perhaps the hair of a few, or a crushed horn, or a nail could help. Alternatively, and to the last resort of many, blood would be the strongest property, provided that it wasn't going to curse the ingester.

Turning her eyes back towards professor Hildegard, Adelaide kept that thought in front of her. It would be an obvious angle to look into, especially as a being who relied on blood, she figured. There was no need for her to interfere and possibly offend by her own ignorance and carelessness.

Text: #B4AAB6 [/div]

• Love
VIRGILIUS HILDEGARD

cc3eacd9029a302f41f22fcb94d30d29.jpg

For as long as Adelaide took to think about her answer, the room was quiet. While she thought about the question asked, Virgil, contemplated a simple argument that she had brought up. Yes. It was inevitably invasive. But concerns that the Egyptian Ministry had with it weren't medical. For one such progressive and influential scientific facility, the wizarding society of Africa had hundreds of inhibiting currents, political and social. Transferring research at the peak of tension was a daring but rewarding attempt. For the sake of science, Hildegard did not think twice. Even though many reckoned he should have.

He packed his hands into pockets while wordlessly engaging with miss Rosier's suggestions. He wasn't at all surprised by her initial idea. Among other things, miss Rosier seemed like an excellent candidate for more than just the standard Potions program. While she had everything the education could offer her on the tips of her fingers, she could have used a trip outside of the box.

"Versatile to an extend," Virgil nodded respectfully. It was an excellent first attempt. "Mandrake root is known to restore, but it doesn't bode well with upgrading the unaltered state of one's body and mind. It would be a waste."

Adelaide's sudden realization was a cue to listen once again. For the first time since he had walked in, miss Rosier seemed to be focusing. Virgilius had once again approved of Ravenclaw's suggestion, her eager engagement having professor Hildegard squint his eyes in an almost mouthless smile.

"We do know that ginger can clear one's mind," he agreed, making his way back to the board. "But perhaps a ginseng root could have more divinatory-like properties. Specifically, at a certain stage of maturity," Virgil mused on, noting down the two plants adjacent to each other on the board. Seeing how the girl gained the momentum of thought, Virgilius fell silent, letting her take the lead while he diligently sorted named plants in two columns, adding a few more along the way:

Ginger (root) | Ginseng (root)
Primrose (seed oil) | Cyclamen (seed)
Althea (flowers) | Poppy (seed)
Rue (leaves) | Mugwort (leaves)
Elecampane (root) | Yarrow (leaves)
Sage (leaves) | Ground Ivy (leaves)

"Quite right," Virgil exclaimed in response, once more looking over the list and adding the snowdrop flower and the unicorn horn on the side. "It is a good start, miss Rosier. A very good start indeed. Where runespoor eggs contain a needed technical base, we have found quite the options to carry it successfully." As expected, the easy part of the task went well and swiftly.

"We will have to spend some time making several combinations between the physical boosters on the left and the 3rd eye stimuli here on the right," he had instructed, pointing down each column. "And since we have a limited amount of runespoor eggs to experiment with, it would be wise to use the next most appropriate thing."

A gentle wave of hand lifted a smaller apothecary jar off the shelf, hovering it over to the workbench. It had arrived there just a moment before Virgil approached it.

"Projects like these had taught me very early on that the ability to adapt dominates over perfectionism. And adapt we shall," professor Hildegard announced enthusiastically, pushing the jar of powdered dragon claw to the middle.

"It isn't a desirable thing to mix with those alike runespoor eggs. The best concoctions are those that respect the hierarchy of its ingredients." For a moment, he stopped himself, doubting that it even made any sense, but there it was, said and done.

"Alone, however, it is an excellent replacement for the eggs as it will test the balance of herbs against the dominant ingredient just as well. Brewing a proper ratio will take a bit of trial and error, but that's the exciting part."

Few more gestures of the hand, and several other bottles and smaller jars joined them, carrying the ingredients on the list he happened to have available.

"The hard part comes after we stabilize the mixture."

Several attempts were made to stabilize the concoction. The successful recipes were registered and sent to him, but they left much to be desired. Virgilius did not harbor any illusion of superiority against so many other talented scientists. Still, he always had a straightforward request for any handed-down project: he would disregard the progress and start from scratch. His eagerness to explain further was only amplified by the fact that miss Rosier had a lot more on her mind that she'd like to share. He did not have to be convinced further into sharing the premise.

"Any typical potion, as you know, has a fixed brewing process, specific spells to follow, and universal use with ever-so-slightly different effects from person to person. So insignificantly different that it is ignorable. But they, in the great majority, rely on altering and improving the individual's physical status. As you know, miss Rosier, those that do not, require a lot more effort. Much like Felix Felicis," he offered a close-to-home example, opening up his right fist. "And they rarely succeed in comparison. Much like the infamous Baruffio's Brain Elixir," he gestured, opening up his left fist, balancing the two imaginary examples up and down, much like a scale.

"Wonderful, innovative idea, but godawful execution," he criticized with a jest, returning his hands into pockets. Once again, light rhythmic steps echoed across the room as Virgil took another stroll.

"We've concluded that a human mind, much like in any other aspect, cannot be placed into a mold. What works well for me may not work as well for you. And vice versa, of course. In the best-case scenario, you remain disappointed. In the worst case, you're quite possibly ruined for life."

Professor Hildegard paused for a moment, calmly studying miss Rosier as she stood behind the workbench that was now filled with materials. He seemed to be debating briefly on whether to share the following information with the girl. However, her evident curiosity further played in her favor.

"I believe that what universally efficient mental booster requires is a proper medium. Catalyzation, if you will. It needs an ingredient that can effectively adapt to the consumer as it's being consumed. Anything powdered, processed or dried is unable to change its structure. It is why this all hit the wall. They've degraded the project to merely an idea to be archived. And I would like to give it a chance." It was not your-average homework, but Virgil was convinced that miss Rosier was fit for the challenge, at least in theory.

"So, with that information in mind, miss Rosier," he proceeded, making another column on the blackboard. "I would love to hear any ideas you may have regarding the medium that could connect all of this. I understand that such ingredients were not in our curriculum as they are quite advanced and perhaps even a bit controversial. It would do no good to the general student population to dab into the details. By all means, explore this problem freely and give me your best assumptions."

• According to Plan
x
Adelaide Rosier
What works for one doesn't for the other. The explanation was so simple, the basics of that so understandable and so blasé that there was no questioning it other than to be taken as a simple fact of; it just is. Yet, Adelaide found her mind going into another direction, the words of Chris sounding through her mind once more as the spiteful words aimed at her echoed.

'Little-miss-perfect'

The suggestion that she was different from her classmates and as such exclusively chosen for this project haunted her, her heart starting at the thought that even the professor thought such.

'So dull.'

The next snide remark, meant with every letter of the word accompanied with the jesting compliment meant for the potion had her gulp. What if the compliments in her face were the same words used to ridicule her from behind her back?

"I will," she answered plainly, suddenly getting up from her bench as she stuffed her items back into her bag, "professor," she hastily followed after, remembering her manners despite the anguish as she could hear her mother's derogatory remarks if she were to forget herself.

When she did the one, there came criticism from another. If she chose another, she got criticised all the same. The thought whirled, dizzying the female for a moment as she realised that there was no matter in what she did. Criticism was all she would ever receive and she wondered if that was her fault inherently, or just a lack, and if a lacking a lack of what? Character? Talent? Understanding?

It was all becoming quite too much for the young Adelaide whose eyes fixated on the potioneers master, a heavy gulp going down her parched throat before she took in a deep breath.

"I will, another time. Not today, professor," she spoke, but the voice didn't sound her own and Adelaide feared for a moment that it might break if she didn't deliberately spoke in a lower tone and short sentences. "There is still a lot of homework left," she added after as an excuse, which would have been true if she wasn't Adelaide Gisele Rosier, the dull witch that liked her school work.

And before she could give away anything else Adelaide had turned around her heels before the click-clack of her shoes on the stones announced her departure, a mind full of thoughts that weren't on the task.

The day after wasn't much better. Almost in a daze it had passed. Almost, for she was quite present in her classes and focussed just enough to execute all that was asked. Just not more and Adelaide found herself soon in the Potions classroom once more when the day was almost over, her mind still whirring, but better suited to focus than it had been the day before.

A routine perhaps, for it happened the next day as well and the day after and so it went on where Adelaide kept herself busy with school work of her own, the extra she asked for, and whatever she had been loaded off with in secret from her fellow classmates because she had to occupy her thoughts somehow.

"Someone mentioned stabilising potions into candied forms. To make them easier to carry," Adelaide announced one day as she had entered the classroom, seeming a bit more like herself, though still feeling a little out of it emotionally that she didn't dare to address. "He mentioned that the muggle bakers use vinegar in baking, or the use of cream of tartar." The sudden mention of muggle baking wasn't something new. The way she had thrown herself into it was.

"Perhaps what we need is a base recipe, from which a person can adjust its quality as it needs from there?" she worked towards her conclusion, "instead of forcing the potion to adapt, why not have it be adapted?"

Somehow, unknowingly and unwittingly Adelaide had carried something personal into the project, projecting her feelings and how she felt into her hypothesis when she presented it.

Text: #B4AAB6

• Sympathy & Compassion
VIRGILIUS HILDEGARD

1643143419795.png

The silence was a thing of fancy for professor Hildegard, and he respected it in any shape or form or preceding any event or emotion. A simple lack of sound. But a mind never drew as many different meanings and conclusions from any other sound. It took a lack of thereof to give them relevance. To fully occupy attention.

A struggling breath. Heightened heartbeat. Tension. It all intertwined with the tidy cursives forming another uninterrupted line on the blackboard as the sound of chalk against the rough surface flew through the room until the Ravenclaw gathered what little composition she seemed to have left and responded. A cold response, merely honoring her reputation as a respectful student. There was nothing in miss Rosier's reaction that made Hildegard proud. While being respected was a staple of authority, taking pride in courtesy for the sake of the norm felt - for the lack of a better word - pathetic.

With an understanding nod, professor Hildegard accepted Adelaide's defiant gaze. He could assist with many issues, but the emotional turmoil of a teenager that wouldn't acknowledge it for what it was, wasn't one of them. He allowed for a moment to pass without saying a word, leaving her some room to handle her struggle as she saw fit.

"Very well," he briefly acknowledged her desire to be dismissed. Far from being indifferent to the insecurity and sadness that he could identify in the girl's voice, Virgil lifted his hand as if she was a startled doe. "You do not have to justify yourself, miss Rosier," Hildegard proceeded in a softer tone, full of unsaid compassion. "I understand."

"There is still a lot of homework left."

A simple excuse. It was given as a last resort, again honoring the ritual of excusing oneself to the end. But it was enough to breach through Virgil's resting face, if only briefly. A warm smirk danced across his lips as he offered another understanding nod as the Ravenclaw rushed out. "Of course. Take care, miss Rosier."

He exhaled audibly with the shut of the door. Humans were fascinating creatures. It wasn't by accident that he had learned to manage emotional response with the help of one. It was unimaginable for any vampire to rid yourself of drives that fuel the instinctual response. For many, Virgil's opting to do so remained a matter of bitter disbelief. There was a fun moment in his mind - perhaps slightly out of place - of imagining just how fascinating a tiny human with such ability would be. Her peers were no different from young vampiric offspring, while Adelaide controlled her emotional drives as well as any adult would expect to. Perhaps a bit too well.

------------

The tobacco taste in his mouth made a long-awaited break from the full classroom more tangible. Days of quizzes were not fun for the class, but they were perhaps even less fun for the professor, having to go through the answers afterward, wondering what he had done wrong to go through such torture.

By the time his cigarette burned almost completely, all of the ridiculously wrong answers had begun blending into what Hildegard had privately referred to as Perditio Tempus - a vile creature, mental disruptor emerging from the teacher's futile attempt to make something out of an unruly bunch. Unlike the common misconception of him living and breathing students' pain and failure through his strictness, professor Hildegard just wanted to be able to get rid of all of them and move on. Alas.

Being the Nth ones that evening, hasty steps passing along the corridor did not alert him until the direction led them straight towards the classroom door. Always having such possibility in the back of his head, Virgil reacted instantly, barely interrupting the line he was reading. With a wave of a finger, ashes suspended in the air flew up, mixing with the remains of smoke and cigarette's body and then a subtle snap of fingers. By the time the Ravenclaw marched into the classroom, no trace of his violation had remained.

"Miss Rosier," he greeted warmly, lifting his head from the papers. "Good evening."

The fact that Adelaide marched in without a previous greeting felt like a breath of fresh air. If nothing else, being amused by it was a good enough reason not to point it out. He didn't condone the breaking of rules, but some exceptions were welcome. He instead listened, leaning against the table.

"Theoretically possible. Albeit difficult," professor Hildegard nodded at the mention of stabilizing the potion. The comparison was interesting and had him perk up at the statement - as much as deviating from his usual expression went. "It is a generally accepted theory. Professor Slughorn has left quite a bit of material on it to Hogwarts. Generous, considering the potential."

Or consequences.

Miss Rosier's interest in the subject would be expected if there wasn't for the way she had left it to fizzle out last time. A quick-paced, sharp enthusiasm was distracting enough to put the thought of it behind. The amount of energy lost to the mundanity has been retrieved. Virgil welcomed her idea with a newly-found drive for his interests.

"It would make things much more interesting and easier to control, indeed," he mused into the space between them, assembling a few pieces of the puzzle inside his head. "And who knows? Perhaps we would find that we can extract more than one beneficial effect from the concoction, depending on its content," he suggested but quickly waved it off.

"But, I am getting ahead of myself, as per usual," he jested, getting up. "One step at a time. There are several essential things to consider before we can discuss such a thing."

With another simple hand movement, the content of the blackboard completely changed, revealing a detailed study on the topic, filled in further since their previous meeting.

"The base," he pointed. "Something simple and stable enough to be tampered with. Funnily enough, I believe looking into the simplest of potions would yield better results on this. Then," he proceeded, pointing to the list of seemingly random herbal ingredients, "the variables. We would have to select those that would theoretically give us desired results in specific cases. Only then can we consider the constants that would be the initiator and those that would be a preservative or rather stallers regardless of the variable selected."

A pause to an elaborate rambling as he turned back to the Ravenclaw.

"But, first and foremost, I am pleased you are still interested. Possibly the most important part of the equation." It took a specific sort to return voluntarily for some heavy mental workout even without life's difficulties. Success or failure, it did not quite matter as much in comparison.

• According to Plan