Bounty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listening to his response, she realized two things; one: that Arid's story sounded somewhat rehearsed, and two: that he definitely was not telling her something. Cheri wasn't all that surprised that the questions were turned back at her, but the tone in the man's voice made her think his own curiosity was not the only thing propelling the questions. Coins shifted in Arid's bag, and Cheri caught her tongue before she could press the issue further. She didn't want to scare him off, and by now she as certain he was hiding something. She didn't answer him right away, not wanting to give away the truth of her travels, but still not wanting to lie. A soft sigh escaped her lips as she ran her hands though her hair.

Her thoughts were a bit scattered. Cheri was multitasking to the peek of her abilities. Watching the road for threats, looking for a place to rest and fill her empty belly, and suspiciously watching Arid. But still, he may panic if she didn't answer. "My job requires me to travel from time to time," Cheri explained, as she put a little bit of distance between them so he wouldn't press her for details she wasn't yet ready to reveal.

The road had been on a steady incline for a while. Cheri's legs were beginning to burn with the strain. She took a couple deep breaths and pushed herself to the top of the hill. Relief flooded through her as she looked down into the valley below her. A quaint inn was nestled into the rock next to the road and the steam rising from the chimney stacks offered the promise of food.

Arid gave a small frown to Cheri's response but wiped it away pretty quickly. She had been particularly vague with her answer, was she hiding something too? Possibly, or maybe he was being too suspicious. He didn't like that kind of mentality, but then again he was now a fugitive. He didn't know what to continue with talking about in response but to his relief Cheri went ahead of him.

Fortunately, the inn had finally come into view and made Arid focus on getting food. Catching up with Cheri Arid gave a smile and said, "Well, seems like we're in luck. Let's hope that not many travelers have stopped by." He meant the last sentence in two ways. One so that no one would recognize him, and two so that they could get a nice comfy seat and table to themselves.

Cheri all but ran down the hill to the little inn. Arid had caught up and remarked on its appearance with hopes of food. She didn't voice it, but she wholeheartedly agreed with everything he said. As they neared the building, Cheri took a moment to take in the details.

The rock rose from three sides, growing out of the ground and towering over the poorly thatched roof. The building was ancient, made from the rocks that surrounded it-- like it had been there since the dawn of time. A tall chimney stretched up out of the roof, puffing pale gray smoke into the sky as the scent of spiced meat and stewed vegetables spewed from the cracks around the ancient and huge wooden door. Yellowed panes of glass were fit into each of the front windows, of which there were three. The largest betrayed a rather raucous and rowdy group of men and women chattering lively amongst themselves and dancing as though nobody was watching. A stray thought ran through Cheri's mind as she gaped in through the window. Where would all these people have come from? They cannot all be traveling.

Cheri cast a side-long glance at Arid before shrugging her pack higher onto her shoulders and pushing her way through the entryway. The inside of the Inn was much like the outside. Ancient tables made of rock, surrounded by weather worn wooden chairs filled half of the room, while the other half was filled with men and women entertaining themselves with dance and merriment. A long wooden bar lined the far wall, creating the image of the dancers being crated, or pinned. The glee that spilled from the crowd was almost contagious, as she wove her way through to the bar to get the attention of a server.

Untying her coin pouch from her belt, Cheri waved to the rather plump middle-aged woman that was busying herself pouring ale and spirits into glasses at the end of the counter and waited for her to waddle over. Cheri smiled as the woman stopped in front of her. "Food smells great," she stated, enthusiasm spilling into her voice. "One house meal, and if you have it some dried meats for the road."

"I'll git ya the meal, and if ya still wanna go after, I'll git ya the meats, yah?" Cheri flinched back, confused and disoriented by the woman's strange speech patterns. The dialect she had used had grown and changed, making her sound like she was not only out of place, but out of time. Stupefied, Cheri nodded her agreement and placed a gold piece on the counter top in payment.

Arid almost went wide-eyed as he saw all the travelers inside the room, not having a clue on how there were so many. The inn must be quite the popular place or just in the perfect location for this many people. He looked over at Cheri to see that she had almost the same reaction as he did. Arid gave a frown but just made a small shrug. Gotta go in there anyway, need to eat something, he figured.

As they entered the room Arid did his best to not catch the eyes of anyone else there, not wanting to draw any attention to himself. He wasn't used to these kind of places, so he just followed Cheri's lead as she went to the counter. After the woman was finished taking Cheri's order Arid just gave a simple nod and said, "Same for me please." The woman just looked at him for a while but finally just gave a nod before walking off.

It didn't take long before the woman returned and set a steaming plate of food down in front of both of them. A weird tingling sensation crept across Cheri's skin, as the aromatic steam lapped at her nostrils. It smelled divine; though, what it smelled like was a mystery. Pork, chicken, beef, duck, venison. It smelled like everything, and nothing all the same.

Cheri poked at the food in front of her with the utensils she'd been provided; her curiosity temporarily overruling her hunger. The food looked normal. Like roasted venison covered in a thick broth and surrounded by stewed vegetables. The display was enough to salivate over, but Cheri couldn't help but to feel like something was off. She looked over her shoulder at the crowd in the room, and none of them seemed to have even noticed their presence. A rumble in her stomach brought Cheri's attention back to the food in front of her, and she finally gave in and took a hearty bite. If the uneasiness she was feeling was magical in nature she would probably be immune, and if it wasn't well... starving wasn't really an option either and she was willing to take her chances.

The meat was beyond tender. It melted in her mouth, and was so good she almost groaned with the pleasure with the first swallow. The same strange tickling sensation now filled her. It was strange, but not uncomfortable; the food was definitely spiked magically. Unfortunately, or rather fortunately, Cheri had no inkling as to what the magic was supposed to do.

She looked at Arid, realizing not everybody would be as immune she leaned in close to warn him. "The food is spiked," she whispered. "Be careful..."

Arid couldn't wait for the food as it came over. As he had become pretty desperate already on the road the food just seemed so wonderful with its tantalizing smell. As soon as the food was delivered Arid didn't even bother to look over at Cheri before he began eating. The food tasted wonderfully magnificent as he ate, each part of it being almost divine. There was no doubt that it tasted good, really good.

It was before long of course when Cheri warned him that it was spiked. He had just finished at least half of the meal. Why wasn't he patient like Cheri? "Oh I think I made a real bad mistake then..." he muttered as he set his fork down. What was the food spiked with? And to further the question why? Arid waited for a few moments, and really he only just wanted to eat more of the food. "Are you sure it's spiked? I don't feel too weird and what about yourself?" He asked, noticing that she ate some food too. "This stuff is real good which is weird for an inn I guess but hey maybe we just stumbled upon the right place!" Arid began eating again, calling for another round of food as soon as he was done. He could all day if he wanted, and he surely had enough for it too!

Reactions: Turtle of the Tired
A strange haze shimmered around Arid as he ate. The magic, whatever it was, was potent enough that she could see it taking hold of him. She watched in horror as he scarfed down his remaining food and ordered another plate. The Inn-Keeper was more than pleased to oblige, as she hurried with a second plate. Cheri, choked down another bite, though the food had lost it's flavor as her immunity to the spell grew stronger from exposure. "Arid, I think you've eaten enough," Cheri shook her head trying to figure out why she cared if he was spelled. Looking to the woman she waved her over. The inn-keep's waddle became a skip as she approached, sure that Cheri was also about to order seconds. "I'll take those meats now. The dried ones. Thank you." Cheri placed another coin on the bar, and looked at the woman's shocked and dismayed expression with indifference.

The woman took the money and turned to fetch Cheri's order; the spring in her step completely vanished, and Cheri turned to watch the rest of the patrons. Most of them were still dancing. All joy and no sorrow was anywhere to be found. Though now that she gave the crowd a more thorough look, she noted that the few who were no longer on the floor moving and swaying were either eating again, or had collapsed from exhaustion. "Arid," she said, this time tugging on his sleeve. "Something is wrong here."

Arid gave Cheri a raised eyebrow as he continued eating his second plate. "You're leaving already? Look I know it's important to go but seriously I don't think you've given the full taste of this food. I don't know what you've been eating but this stuff is pretty amazing." He turned away from Cheri and began eating his food again, this time just wolfing it down. "If you really gotta go then fine, but I think I'll stay here for the night. Got enough gold for it." Arid asked for another plate from the inn-keeper and leaned back satisfied, happy when the next order came.

The tugging on his sleeve made Arid turn quickly, angry that his meal was interrupted. At Cheri saying something was wrong Arid gave a quick look over the place and shrugged. "People are dancing and then some other guys get drunk what's the image that's wrong here?" Arid didn't wait for a response as he continued eating.

Cheri stopped dead in her tracks. Her eyebrows raised in shock. "You've enough gold for it then," She crossed her arms. "You say you're traveling to collect inheritance, and yet, you have enough gold for a room. Sounds like you should have enough for a courier as well then." A sinking feeling grew in the pit of her stomach as she released Arid's sleeve. She had an inclination to begin with that he wasn't what he seemed, but his overly confident boast just cemented the fact.

Cheri opened her mouth to see if the looseness of Arid's tongue would continue under further scrutiny when the innkeeper returned and placed the dried meat on the counter. Her gaze settled on Cheri with something beyond a dangerous curiosity. Cheri's mouth shut with an audible click, and she returned the woman's stare. "Ya 'ardly touched yoor food, miss. Ya shoodna leave on such a empty 'tomach."

Cheri rolled her eyes and shook her head. "No matter how much I eat your spell will have no effect woman, leave me be." With a dismissive flick of her wrist the woman was gone and Cheri was able to turn her attention back onto the magic drunk Arid. Her mouth pressed into a firm line as she closed the distance between the two of them and leaned in. "So, tell me again, traveler. Why is it you're on the road?"

Should Arid had not been intoxicated by the food, alarm bells would have gone blazing off at Cheri's sudden change. Of course though Arid couldn't help but just keep eating and think of Cheri's question like simple bar talk. "Well, you know I'm supposed to be quiet and all about it, can't be too careful you know. Not sure who's listening but..." Arid looked around, as if the people after him were trying to listen. "I...I figure you're good at keeping secrets. You see, I'm running away, out of the nation. Sorry for lying to you but couldn't be too careful...too careful." That phrase stuck in Arid's head and made him think about it. It felt like he wasn't obeying that rule right now for some reason. After taking another bite Arid continued. "See I'm running from whoever may be after me. Could be no one or everyone for all I know, though I have this feeling like someone's been after me for a while. I'll confide in you I killed someone, several people actually. I never meant it...didn't think it would end like this you know?" Arid stopped his talk and began eating again, looking like he was choking back tears. "Four...four of 'em." He muttered as he continued eating.

Her jaw dropped. If it were possible for her jaw to hit the floor, in that moment Cheri's would have. She'd been with her mark since the night before. He very well could have killed her in her sleep. Her fear of what was could have happened faded quickly, giving way to anger. Cheri's face heated as her anger rose, though she was more angry with herself for dropping her guard, but Arid was about to feel the force of her wrath. It needed release, and it was his crime he was running from after all.

Cheri's mind flitted to the conversation she'd had with the Magister before departing on this bounty, and her promise to call in reinforcements whenever she had pinpointed the culprit, but at the moment her pride refused to make that concession with everything. Before another thought had a chance to move across her brain, Arid's sleeve was in her grasp, and she yanked him backwards. "How in the hell do you accidentally kill four people?" The time was well past for her to be calm. Her body was acting on mixture of rage and pride.

Reactions: Doctor Hi
Arid gave a small glare at the interruption Cheri had made from departing him from his meal. At her question the magician gave a small sigh of having to remember all that had happened to him. His mind had become no clearer to sense and reasoning to the manner that these questions were asked. A guilty look was given to Cheri before he began to speak his defense.

"Well, I suppose only three were accidental, and the fourth was...murder? Self defense? I'm not a high judge. The accidents caused were my fault and my stupidity I suppose, at least the first. The second and third I was in the rush of things and didn't even realize my decision in my defensive gestures was the cause of a fatal blow to themselves. To say that a sword right through someone's throat is a horrifying sight is only scratching the surface," he summed up, not wanting to go into details. "It pains me to think back to those moments. Stupid...stupid. You know I bet they have someone after me too. Probably someone big and scary to ring me in. Do me a favor and just don't say anything. I just want to leave OK? It's all I want."

Cheri growled, and her cheeks flushed as her anger rose. Expecting him to fight her, she grabbed Arid's arm and tugged him towards the door. "This is not the place for this conversation," she told him, her voice calm regardless of raging storm that was building just beneath her skin. She wanted to get him out of the influence of the magic that had steeped itself into the very fabric of the Inn's reality.

Arid was quite surprised when he was suddenly pulled away from his food. "Hey, I wasn't finished!" He yelled, sounding like a small child. "You didn't even let me bring it with me!" Arid attempted to get out of Cheri's grasp, his only thought of getting back to the food. "I'll talk out there after I'm done eating OK?" More food, and then maybe Cheri could try eating again, then maybe she'd relax.

Status
Not open for further replies.