Books that made you cry

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LeVen

Original poster
Everyone has that piece of literature that made them cry.
Personally Mercedes Lackey and Karen Miller's books made me cry more than once. What books made you cry?

350.jpg

FOR REASONS.

Dead-Men-Walking.jpg
Cause human reasons.

Yes, its huge. Iwaku doesn't work with resizing.

The last three Harry Potters...No explanation needed.

Lissey's Story, when Lissey has to say goodbye to Scott for good in Boo'ya Moon.

The Dark Tower, Jake's Death.

Ascend by Amanda Hocking when Wendy fucks up and dumps Finn.

Scarlett by Alexandra Ripley, when Rhett leaves Scarlett after saving her from drowning.

I almost forgot! The Green Mile!

That's the only ones I can think of at the moment. I'm sure there's more in my head somewhere. lol

n5196.jpg

Toth's death and Cyradis' reäction. It was excellently set up so that Toth was the last person you expected to die, and the tension the Seeress' distraught added to the scene, along with Zandramas' last few tricks, made it all the more satisfying when the Sardion exploded and the Dark Prophecy "fled wailing into the void."

Only book that's had that effect on me, though. I've gotten emotional over other books, but this one is the only one that made me cry.

The only thing that comes to mind is The Dresden Files. Read the whole series through recently, and a few points later on got me. They're all major spoiler things though, so I won't bother giving specifics. :P

Reactions: Old Man Seiji
- A Child Called "It" by Dave Pelzer.
- Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck.
- Flowers for Algernon (I know u.u) by Daniel Keyes.
- Prey by Lurlene McDaniel.

I was going to say I've never cried whilst reading, but @Jorick above mentioned Dresden Files and I went, "Oh, yeah. I have!"

Books don't make me cry too often. Those that do must be famously sad, or happen to strike me in a weak spot. Bridge to Terabithia, The Notebook, The Velveteen Rabbit... The only ones that come to mind.

The only book to have ever made me cry was The Fault In Our Stars...yes I am a guy and have read it and love it and had his heart fucked with by reading it.

Reactions: Qimbra
  • Bridge to Terabithia by Kathleen Paterson
  • Out of the Darkness: The Story of Mary Ellen Wilson by Eric A. Shelman
  • The High Lord by Trudi Cavanan

I don't normally cry when I read, though I do get really attached to the characters. Out of the Darkness had me bawling the whole time though, I won't read it again, but I do not regret reading it.

Reactions: Fox of Spades
Bridge to Terabithia </3

%7B33F66687-DA7B-4B2F-9D62-0439F4A03FFA%7DImg400.jpg

Code Name Verity

9781423152880_p0_v7_s260x420.JPG

This flipping book ripped out my heart then stomped down on the already shattered pieces D8<

Bridge to Terabithia.

The only one so far.

Surprising as it may seem, 1984 got me crying and crying at the end of it. I was young and the ending cracked my mind to pieces. I could not believe what had happened to Winston and the loss that he suffered over himself, besides, the reflection over the real world, the whole thing hit me in an emotional level that I never quite managed to understand.

"He gazed up at the enormous face. Forty years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the dark moustache. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother"

9780767902892_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

I don't remember actually crying when I read this book, but I was an emotional wreck.

I rarely cry over things in books. But amusingly enough, I got super emotional at the treatment of goblins in Terry Pratchets "Snub"

The scene with the goblin playing the harp was amazingly written.

Kafka's The Metamorphosis.
You cried? I felt emotional, but it was never... emotive enough in its language to force me to tears.

Anyway, yeah, I read Michael Morpurgo's "Private Peaceful" when I was 10 and that fucked me up pretty good inside.

So we can all agree that Bridge To Teraibithia made everyone cry.

You cried? I felt emotional, but it was never... emotive enough in its language to force me to tears.
I didn't cry, but I felt sad and devoid of hope for a good while afterwards. That's as close to crying a book has ever made me.

Status
Not open for further replies.