October Knight

Hi-def
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
Genres
Fantasy, Horror and Sci-fi. I'll try basically anything though. I also love strange and unusual RP genre concepts. Different is good!
What is the best book(s) you have ever read? Anything you want to recommend?

Two of my favorite books of all time are

East of Eden by John Steinbeck AND Brave new world by Aldous Huxley

I haven't read any books in a long time, and am wondering what Iwaku's favorite books are.

The Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson. Fantastic writing, great characters, doesn't have typical fantasy races, the whole world is rich and the cultures are fleshed out in a lot of detail, and the fight and battle sequences are amazing. It's also fairly dark at times. The series is at nine books and will be finished when book ten comes out early next year.

Brave New World and 1984 were both amazing as well. I also really enjoyed The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas.

I HAVE A LOT!

For military lovers or for action junkies: I love books by Stephen Coonts. My favorites by him are Liars & Theives and Deep Black: Jihad and my favorite by far is The Intruders

A good book for tweens that I used to love like hell, and I still flip through the pages is the Wolf Star series by Tanith Lee My favorite book out of that series is Wolf Queen, which I believe is the third installment. it's shorter than Twilight series books, but I think they've got much more substance to them.

For animal lovers, I'd recommend two books: The Loop by Nicholas Evans and Wesley the Owl by Stacey O'Brien. The first one is kinda a modern "Day in the life of" type story, and it centers around the lifes of a ranching town and the wolves that they think are coming much too close to their cattle. It gets a little saddening at times, but overall it's a great, great book. The second one is a real-life biography about the relationship between an owl and it's care taker.

For Scifi/fantasy lovers: The Lake House BY JAMES PATTERSON. I don't have any idea what any other book or movie by that name is, this is the only one that matters to me. IT INVOLVES MUTANT HUMANS WITH WINGS. ALL I'M GONNA SAY. READ IT. Another is Neverwhere by Neil Gaimen. It's kinda a modern "Alice and Wonderland" that takes place in London. It's kinda dark and has adult tones in it in some places, so by warned. Also, I love the book Snow Crash by Neal Stephen, which is kinda a futuristic, cyberworld. It's wonderfully written, and it's one I read when I can't sleep. A good fantasy book is The Looking Glass Wars, by Frank Beddor. It's a take on the Alice in Wonderland story, but it seems a little more realistic in my opinion.

For modern, I suggest Cobra Event, by Richard Preston, which is an awesome, AWESOME book that will attack your brain like a virus and make you want more! Also I suggest The Last Time They Met, by Anita Shreve. It's an interesting tale, and it's one of the few books that made me cry.

I also suggest Stephen Kings' Tommyknockers. Which literally scared the fuck out of me when I was done reading it. It's a good, haunting book.

For those who liked the book Kite Runner, the author, Khaled Hosseini has another book called A Thousand Splendid Suns.

And I'm going to end this on an odd note, I don't understand Christians very well. But I started reading a book called Moral Choices by Scott B. Rae. It's helping me understand a lot of their views, which, before I read it, I just outright was confused on. It's a christian viewpoint on many of the daily issues, like medical care, same sex relationships, money, guns, the death penalty, genetics and science, radiation, and animals. One of the things I learned the most about from this book was the christian viewpoint on Abortion.

Don't get me wrong, I still disagree with a lot of their views, but now I understand them a little better. It's an interesting read.

*Pants for breath*

The Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson. Fantastic writing, great characters, doesn't have typical fantasy races, the whole world is rich and the cultures are fleshed out in a lot of detail, and the fight and battle sequences are amazing. It's also fairly dark at times. The series is at nine books and will be finished when book ten comes out early next year.[/COLOR]

this. fucking great book series.

I also enjoy the Ciaphas Cain series by Sandy Mitchell. think "flashman" in 40k. hilarity ensues.

the Eisenhorn, Ravenor and Gaunts Ghosts series by Dan Abnett are also good.

'Salem's Lot.

Anything by King, Howard, or Lovecraft.

Hm, I have to start mine off with the Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. It's one of my all time favorite series, and it's the type of series that you either hate or love.

Another good series would have to be Dragonlance, by Margaret Weis and Tracey Hickman. A great series, which can be very funny at times, yet also depressingly sad. Also, by the same authors, is the DeathGate Cycle, which mainly revolves around two Demi-god races, the Patryns and the Sartans.

Mistborn by Bradon Sanderson (who is completing the Wheel of Time) is also a wonderful read. It's a trilogy and each book deals with a rebellion and it's post rebellion effects.

And finally (for this list), the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. It's also one of my favorites, despite the fact that I found it's ending... Lacking.

I second Count of Monte Cristo.

I add Le Morte de Arthur.

I slam Wheel of Time. Used to be a huge fan, and then it kept going, and going, and GOING. Actually, got a new Robert Jordan joke. "You know how Jordan paid for his funeral? By the word." Ba-bang, tish.

...Yeah, burn me, I'm gonna go to hell.

Cool, I will definitely check some of these out. Anyone else>?