Bloody Anthros: Food Chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rethought about that as well. When it comes to animals in the wild, that may be true. But anthros should be more intelligent than that. Hyenes and lions and wolves, althought are from different breed of animals, they eat the same thing. One could hunt and sell the meat they acquire for money and buy things such as clothing and weapons or even more meat. There may be problems with discrimination of race and such, but they would still have to work together to live.
Technically, we humans eat the same things as well and should be more intelligent about working together than we are, so there's no real need for sapient animals to get along well. Actually, I'd probably think it would give an interesting dynamic to play off of. As opposed to having the only conflict be the main one of predator needing to kill prey, you'd get a natural variety of opinions about this necessity based off the differing cultures each animal might adhere to.

You could play off the different methods they each use to kill their prey. Presumably anthros might benefit from made weapons as well as their natural ones, but you could still have that cats, being quick ambush predators, seem to have more respect for their food than wolves and hyenas, who tend to run their prey down and tire them out through chase and injuries. Most hunted animals would see both as terrifying, I'm sure, with the pros and cons of both. Can't escape the cats unless you notice them before they attack, can escape from wolves and hyenas, but not without injury... And if the anthros aren't supposed to be altogether happy about having to commit murder to survive, then lions would surely look down on wolves and hyenas for being cruel. While to hyenas it is proof of each of their warriors' strengths that they can provide for their tribe without flinching from the task.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

As for the place where the anthros belong. I do agree that different anthros breeds come from different places of the world, but we have to take count of player's interests. Restricting the choice of anthros to choose from is a bit dispiriting. Perhaps the anthros migrated and became immigrants in the lands.

Migration's alright. They could adapt, I suppose. lol Of course they would if they want to keep living there. But if you're keeping them around to be open to players' interests, there are other canine options in Africa that would fit a little better and not require immigration. I'm not trying to say no wolves, that's not in my power, I'm just suggesting it, to make the whole a little more coherent.

Reactions: Shade_XY
I know it's merely your opinion, but how is a lion any less cruel than a wolf or a hyena?

I know it's merely your opinion, but how is a lion any less cruel than a wolf or a hyena?
Strictly speaking, they often aren't, it just depends on the luck of the hunt. That aspect of my remarks was meant more to run along the lines of how the lion anthros might see themselves versus the wolves or hyenas as regards their methods of hunting, if they do hunt differently in this world, rather than the animals themselves.

My reasoning for why I might choose lions as 'less cruel' over wolves or hyenas, mainly wolves though, is that lions can and will use brute force to subdue an animal and suffocate it, while wolves don't have that option, so the chase is prolonged. Whether or not either method is, in actual fact, any less cruel than the other, I couldn't say, having thankfully experienced neither, nor done much research into the matter.

Honestly, my remark may be more in keeping with the cats that hunt alone, and therefore, might have no bearing. :\

Technically, we humans eat the same things as well and should be more intelligent about working together than we are, so there's no real need for sapient animals to get along well.

But we humans can animals and plants and fruits. Carnivorous anthros can only eat meat. In the world I am to create, there will be no animals and carnivorous anthros' body cannot injest plants. Just like Tokyo Ghouls. :P

Other than the need of food, you have to take count of their desires as well. Like us humans, anthros will want beautiful things and eat exotic races, cooked with spice and seasonings. To have what they want, they are forced to cooperate with each other. They have to trade with other breeds of anthros for the sake of fulfiling their desires.

But I do agree that creating conflict between breeds and races in the story will add much interesting elements. I like it.

In all honesty, I can't imagine many would see anything wrong with the killing of something they need to survive. I mean, if they're a different species of anthro that doesn't live in the same communities, they'd become, to most of those that don't actively go hunting, nothing but a slab of meat. And even some of the hunters, if they use distant hunting techniques or never allow their prey the chance to speak(admittedly hard to manage) might not realise that the 'creatures' they are killing for food have the same sapient abilities that they do.

Unless it is widely discussed, in which case, I'd assume that at least some few of those predators enjoy that power it gives them over other intelligent life forms.

Either way, there's still conflict and a bunch of branching troubles for predator and prey both, and different methods of honouring the sacrifice of the hunter's mental security and the prey's life, or feeling surprerior to the prey, or just everyone feeling horrible about it on all sides, could be fun to explore. As things are right now, there's rather more paths to take and choose than might be easily settled into one single area of Afukira's map(if the rp is only going to take place in one area, anyway). I mean, not that a million ideas is ever a bad thing, but it can bog down the process of narrowing things into a coherent whole.

So, if I may presumptuously offer yet another suggestion, sorry, I'm full of them. :\ Maybe pick one or two methods that are widely spread among the carnivores for dealing with this issue, and another one or two that the herbivores use(I've got a few ideas there too, lordy, don't I just *hides away*), and that way interested parties can see what their characters would have to support them or that they might have to fight against as they struggle with the problem of survival.

But we humans can animals and plants and fruits. Carnivorous anthros can only eat meat. In the world I am to create, there will be no animals and carnivorous anthros' body cannot injest plants. Just like Tokyo Ghouls. :P

Other than the need of food, you have to take count of their desires as well. Like us humans, anthros will want beautiful things and eat exotic races, cooked with spice and seasonings. To have what they want, they are forced to cooperate with each other. They have to trade with other breeds of anthros for the sake of fulfiling their desires.

But I do agree that creating conflict between breeds and races in the story will add much interesting elements. I like it.
umm guys, are we going to start this anytime soon *-*

I clearly talk to much and then forget half of what I was going to say. Forgot to mention that I really like this partfor the trading reasons. Eating exotic creatures. Though that brings up the question of whether or not the exotic races are killed and prepared far away and require specific methods of curing or freezing the meats, or whether they are captured and sold alive at market. Whole other implication there.

If we have interests, the roleplay will be played in Afukira. Lets start with a short roleplay of a predator running into a prey in the middle of a plain. How things turn out will be decided by the players. Conversations may occur. Fights may happen. Blood might spill. I'll set the stage for you.

Okay?

ungh...tomorrow, I just conducted three posts today...I'm tired :(

I clearly talk to much and then forget half of what I was going to say. Forgot to mention that I really like this partfor the trading reasons. Eating exotic creatures. Though that brings up the question of whether or not the exotic races are killed and prepared far away and require specific methods of curing or freezing the meats, or whether they are captured and sold alive at market. Whole other implication there.

They can't freeze meat since their technology haven't reach as far.

Poor salamanders, caged and strapped to the walls so that their limbs can be cut off. It'll grow again in a month or so, but then it'll be chopped off again...

So long as you can reach ice, you can freeze meat for a time. And ice can be found and saved in cellars and under sawdust for a short time during summer, or cut from glaciers if there are any. I'm guessing there's not a lot near where lions live, unless they're asiatic lions... But traders could make use of it from wherever they're coming from. Although that'd definitely raise the price of the meat.

Also, yeesh, not fun to be a salamander.

I'll happily play either a herbivore or a carnivore. Probably a hyena or some type of antelope. That's all I've got so far. And I need to head to bed.

So long as you can reach ice, you can freeze meat for a time. And ice can be found and saved in cellars and under sawdust for a short time during summer, or cut from glaciers if there are any. I'm guessing there's not a lot near where lions live, unless they're asiatic lions... But traders could make use of it from wherever they're coming from. Although that'd definitely raise the price of the meat.

Also, yeesh, not fun to be a salamander.

I'll happily play either a herbivore or a carnivore. Probably a hyena or some type of antelope. That's all I've got so far. And I need to head to bed.

Pick one that you really like and create.

I know I said every kind of anthros speak different language. But perhaps some still could learn to speak other's languages. So it's still possible for the predators and prey to talk to each other and work something out.

In the roleplay, although they don't speak english, please translate their words into english so that all of us could understand XD

Probably hyena then. I'll go with spotted, since they're the most carnivorous.

Akkrin
Smaller male, friendly enough, if a bit prone to big smiles and laughing at the wrong moment, it's how he tests younger folks' mettle, and gets rid of his own jitters before a pre-hunt. Bit older, equivalent of ~30(dunno if they age differently)? Good endurance and strength, also good at making items valued for benefiting a hunting group. Spears with stone tips or weighted nets or bolas.

Could potentially have learned some herbivore's language to try luring them closer to make killing them easier.
Probably has a habit of squabbling and biting.

Dunno if that's good or not, I can add or change around as needed. :)

I forgot to emphasis that there will be magic in the world. So frozen food will be available. :P Hopefully, players will not overpower these magics.

fd8002720465028224f1a1f7cdc59d73.jpg

Name: Karsh Aldaalfi
Species: Wolf (I think it looks like one at least)
Personality: persuasive, Passive, and WItty. A real backstabber, he can be your best friend, and just go along with what you say, and the next minute, he's stabbing you for food. He puts killing and food above anything else, but he always makes sure to point out their weaknesses before he goes in for the kill. Or he can just stab you. Really really fast.
Magic: none
Special abilities?: Very swift. does his moves insanely fast
Equipment? supplies to last a week, that sword along with dual iron daggers, and some smoke bombs (just in case of fail)

The Sons And Daughters Of The King.

On that day, they decided that they would train just slightly far from the outskirts of the city. These youngsters have learned to hunt, but haven't been in one truly just yet. They are the sons and daughters of the king. No one would dare harm them. Food is brought to them by their mothers in the castle. They live luxurious and easy life.

In the plain of Jahamn, the sons and daughters of the king of lions raced, competiting against each other in a game of speed. As they ran, dust collects in the air behind them. They were muscular and tall bunch, as lion anthros should be. On their backs were light weight steel armors, crafted by the royal smith. Fastened to their belts were all sort of weapons such as swords, daggers, and spears, carried for protection. The rays of the sun shining on them is reflected by their armors, creating mesmerizing hue.

One young male lion was fast running in the lead. For a young lion, he was handsome but his mane is underdeveloped. His fur is soft, clean, and golden. His name was Antheon.

A sneer creased Antheon's lips when he glanced back to his three siblings who were falling behind him.

"Do catch up!" he teased them.

"Oh shut up!" said one of the girls named Tahra.

Tahra's muscles was sturdy and jutting out, but her figure was still slim.

Tahra began to sprint. Seconds later, she was side by side with Antheon. She returned the mocking sneer. The male young lion chuckled at her. He began increasing his pace, leaving the girl to eat the dust he left behind.

"You fu... argh!" The girl wanted to cuss at him, but decided that it wasn't appropriate and screamed instead.

The male lion replied to her by laughing out loud, amused that his sibling was iffed by him. Suddenly, he stopped dead in his tracks, halting everyone. His hands on the handle of his sword, feeling playful.

"Defend yourself!" he exclaimed.

In one motion, he unsheated the sword and lunged at the woman with his sword drawn.

The woman was quick to respond to parry his sword with her dagger. She quickly ran at him while he was staggered. Putting herself in the space between him and his sword. She used his chest as a leaping stone, summersaulting up while clutching his arms, and positioning herself behind him. Her dagger was placed close to his neck.

"You may be fast and strong," she said, "but I am profound in martial arts, brother."

He froze, fearing the blade would slice his throat. "Well played, sister."

She released him and grinned, revealing her sharp pearly white teeth. They all then laughed, amused of their day in the wild.

They weren't the only anthros in the plains. An unfamiliar smell passed through their senses. An odour of another lion but not of their tribe. All of them turned to the source.

In the distant, in their line of sight, an adult lion with darker blonde fur and dark brown mane stood in place. He wore an eyepatch but the scar hidden behind the black leather was too obvious.

To be continued.

Status
Not open for further replies.