Blood: It's in you to give

Have you ever Donated Blood?

• Yes

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • No, I'm not allowed to for medical reasons

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • No, for a reason I'll explain in the comments!

Votes: 8 33.3%

• Total voters
I haven't given blood before because I'm squeamish but I've had several vials drawn for blood testing. To be honest, I can't remember what blood type I am, if my iron levels are even high enough, or if I'll have complications. Would the blood centers need my blood information and iron levels when I get there or can they figure it out for me? I do find it ironic that I saw this thread here when my grandma told me yesterday that she went to the Doctor for blood.

They prick your finger when you get there to test your iron levels. If everything checks out then they will go ahead and take your blood. A few weeks later you'll get a card in the mail (If they still do that?) that tells you what your blood type is.

Personally, I'm O- so you know, liquid gold right here. I used to give blood all throughout High School and a few years beyond. However, I'm a gay male living in the USA so that means I can longer give blood. It sucks, and I hope things change soon but I'm not really holding my breath.

• Thank You
Reactions: Minibit and Zen
My blood is type O, so I've been encouraged to donate since I was in high school. I don't donate as often as I could, due to time, but I have donated. I'm listed as an organ donor as well, so if you kill me, I guess they'll let you have my tasty kidneys.

Reactions: Minibit
I have donated blood many times over the years because my body makes to much of the stuff, so my doctor suggested for me to give blood to stop me from having nose bleeds everyday. But since I have moved I keep getting told that because of some female medical problems I'm no longer allowed to give blood.

But I still try every time there is a blood drive local to me and I will keep trying.

[MENTION=1030]Zen[/MENTION], They can figure out all that very quickly with a prick on your finger. They take a drop of blood and drop it in a copper sulphate solution to check your iron levels, and they can use a drop of blood to check your blood type as well.

I would want to donate blood, since it's needed. But like many others in my family I have a phobia for needles. Some people in my family almost passes out when they are going to get a shot. One person in my family actually tried to donate blood but they couldn't find his blood vein because he were so nervous, and they couldn't get him to calm down. So in the end it was impossible for him to actually donate. For me it's not so serious so I'm about to pass out, but I have a hard time breathing, I can't calm down before it's over, I shake like hell and I feel really sick as if I'm about to vomit. So anything other than a fast shot is pretty much out of the question if it's not really necessary for my health (Which it has been one time when they had to take a blood test, it was horrible T-T. But the nurse was nice and was also afraid of shots so she kept me somewhat calm.)

Reactions: TemoKun and Minibit
I lived in England during the Mad-Cow epidemic so the Red Crossed flagged myself, mom and dad. They won't take us so we can only donate to family when the need occurs.

Reactions: TemoKun and Minibit
I'm a huge believer in donating. Not only do I give blood, but it's something I require of my two kitties as well!

For the last two years I've worked in an emergency veterinary hospital. I've monitored and given blood and plasma transfusions more times than I can count, and have seen results that are nothing short of miracles. As opposed to humans, dogs and cats in an emergency situation do well with 1-2 units of blood depending on the need, and one unit comes from a single animal. This means that the ability to save two lives comes from less than an hour of them having to sit still for the blood drawing process, and they get treats after so they enjoy it! We used a lot of my boys' blood units at work, so I was able to see their contributions in action.

When I donate, I don't get to see where my blood goes, but I know that wherever it ends up it will do good for SOMEONE. And that is why I donate! <3

I have never donated blood, but I want to. A lot of people in my city are still a little wary because of a tainted blood scandal years ago (involving needles and such that weren't cleaned properly. I mean yeah you need your blood, but giving a bit so someone can live is great, I think. Now, I just have to make an appointment XD

You know what's great? When your blood-type is the most needed and you can't donate because of some medicine.
I take ryetalyn to maintain my bipolarity stable, and, since it is a strong medicine, I can't donate blood further in the future. It's sad, since I'm a O-, but I can't stop taking it.
However, I am very supportive in blood donating.

I have not donated blood yet, for two main reasons. One is that blood drives are fairly rare in my country for some reason, especially ones that are out in the public and I do not really want to go to the hospital to donate it, not to mention that I often do not have it on mind. The other is that I am fairly sure I would not qualify for the requirements of a blood donation. And I forgot about the third reason, which is the fact that I can not really stand blood or the sight of injury. My father has a similar condition, but I think he has it worse than me because he actually passed out at a blood test. As for me, maybe one day I will have myself tested to see if I can donate blood. Only time will tell, though.

Back when I was in school, we had a truck come for blood donations. I tried to donate but when they couldn't get my veins so I couldn't. I would, but I haven't donated yet.