Blind Hearted

"It's me, Rebecca."

That's all that Patrick needed to hear. He contained his enthusiasm so she could finish her words and could hear shuffling from where she stood. They were sheepish movements, no doubt. A friendly smile touched his lips and he stood aside for her to enter his home.

"That's so nice. Come on inside," he offered, inhaling the sweet aroma of the cookies. That would go perfectly with his late lunch.

Once she was inside, Patrick shut and locked the door, then made his way back to the kitchen. "I was just making something to eat. Did you want anything?" He opened the fridge again to feel around for cold cuts and cheese to put on each slice of bread. There was a lot of noise, including the thud of something tipping over. Ignoring it, Patrick pulled out the packages of meat and cheese to set them on the counter by his condiment smothered bread slices.

"What kind of cookies are they?" he asked curiously.

Rebecca smiled and entered his house, looking around curiously as she followed him to his kitchen. As he shuffled in his fridge for his food she started to unwrap the plastic that was on the plate, keeping to cookies safe.

"I'm good, thanks...I ate lunch at the college." She said to his offer, glancing around for a garbage can before finding it sitting next to a counter. She set the plate near his food and leaned on the counter as she watched him put together his sandwich.

"I believe they are chocolate chip cookies. Just so you know, my mom happens to maek the best." She said in a cocky tone as she looked at him, obviously proud of her mothers great culinary skills.

Patrick nodded silently when she said she wouldn't need any lunch. Ham, turkey and a slice of pepper jack cheese was piled on his sandwich before he put everything away. It wasn't crafted too nicely since he couldn't see, but at least it was done well enough to not fall apart. After putting each slice together, he instantly took a bite, resisting the urge to groan because of how good it felt to be eating.

"I'm lucky to have such a talented neighbour, then," he told her, after swallowing a bite. He felt bad to be eating in front of her and hoped she wouldn't mind. One of these days, she'd have to visit with an empty stomach. Patrick didn't trust himself to cook, so this is mainly what he lived off of. He already missed his Mother's cooking.

The sandwich was already half gone, yet he still wanted to make some conversation. "How was your day, then?" he asked.

Rebecca giggled a bit as she watched him devour his sandwich, obviously enjoying the food he was eating. She didn't mind if he was eating, everyone needed to eat at some point or another. She watched him with a smile as she leaned on his counter, her mails clicking on it gently as she thought about her day.

"It was rather plain...I mean, I'm only really taking my basics right now so it honestly feels just like another day of highschool. I go in, I sit, I listen, I get up, and I leave. The only real difference if that the teachers don't give a damn if you have a cell or miss a class, they just had you work and give you a day to turn it in. But what about you? How was your day?" She asked as she pointed the plate of cookies absentmindedly.

Patrick listened to Rebecca with much interest. He himself has never attended a college, and the high school he attended were doubtlessly different from hers. They were taught more than math and sciences... Half of every day was dedicated to practicing magic, therefore his years in school lasted a lot longer. From there, he just lived with his parents and survived off of their appreciated care.

"It will get more fun later on, right?" he pointed out. He could remember hearing that students were often bored the first couple of years in college because of the ridiculous prerequisites.

Now that he finished his sandwich, he felt more comfortable socializing. He smiled wryly before he answered her, "It was... Alright. First day on the job, but it's nothing exciting."

One of his hands felt around the counter, searching for the plate of cookies. Accidentally, his hand fell over hers, stopping the clicking of her fingernails. Patrick blushed and bit his bottom lip, hoping she didn't misinterpret this. "I-I'm sorry, I.. I couldn't see. I'm looking for the cookies!"

Rebecca shrugged her shoulder as he asked if it got better, then remembered that he couldn't see her doing it. "Well I'm not to sure. I mean...It is a community college, there really isn't a lot to do other than basics...."

She smiled as she listened to his small comment about his day, knowing that there probably wasn't much for him to say to begin with. When she felt his hand on top of her's she blushed slightly before giggling and raising her hand, guiding his to the plate and letting it rest there.

"No problem, cookies are a hard thing to resist."

With a sheepish look, he ran his fingers along the plate, taking in the design. Patrick appreciated art if he could absorb its message with his other senses. When his fingertips found a cookie, he picked it up and took a single bite. His tongue licked up crumbs that collected at his lips, his lips curving into a smile of satisfaction.

"Very good," he commented, although he felt like that was an understatement.

The cookie was finished off rather quickly, so he could give the rest of his attention to Rebecca. He felt sort of bad because there wasn't anything fun to do here. Whenever he was bored, he'd just sit outside or listen to some music. Did regular people do that, too? Patrick wondered...

Something then came to mind, "Has part of the sky been getting... Unusually dark?"

Rebecca smiled as he complimented the cookies, glad that he was enjoying them. She'd have to remember to bring him more then next time she came to visit him, maybe she'd even make them herself if she could shake the recipie out of her mother. She blinked a bit as he asked about the sky getting darker, and in truth it had been since yesterday. It was also getting cooler so she only assumed that it was going to rain soon.

"Yeah, it is getting darker, I think it's gonna rain though, I watched it on the weather channle this morning....If you plan a trip to the park I'd bring a rain coat. Why do you ask? Can you feel it in the air or something?" She said, her tone honestly curious about how he could have guessed.

It was reliving to hear that everyone suspected this oncoming darkness to be rain. Not many people believed in the supernatural, magic, or mystical creatures. In truth, it was better off that way. Humans were always so afraid of whatever is different from them; different races of people even treated each other that way. Patrick felt it best to avoid more racial conflict.

"Yeah, I could feel the temperature drop and the air was getting moist," he answered, hating that he had to lie. Maybe it really would rain, though. Not that he'd mind; Patrick enjoyed rainy days.

The subject needed to be changed, he felt. Patrick wasn't acting nervous, or like he was keeping secrets. Actually, he was very calm. "Was there something you'd like to do? Or do you need to head back home?"

"Well, I actually don't have anything to do for the rest of the evening, and my parents won't be home. My dad's office is having a party so my mom left early to meet him there...Anyway, I don't need to be home for anything...maybe dinner, if I feel like making something, I'll probably just go out and eat tonight." Rebecca mumbled as she went back to clicking her nails on the counter.

Her eyes drifted around the kitchen, noticing how bare it actually was there. She could understand why though, what was the point of decorating if you couldn't see it? She looked back at him and tilted her head to the side, sligtly tired now that she didn't feel as nervous anymore.

"I'm not keeping you from anything am I? I can go if you need me too..." She said with a small yawn.

For reasons he couldn't explain, his heart beat faster when she told him that she didn't have plans for the evening. It was as if he was happy to hear that... Well, he was. Instead of leaving him alone, she could spend some more time with him. Patrick wanted to get to know this girl, despite how boring she claimed to be. She was the only friend he had in this entire city so far, and it would probably stay that way.

"Nope. My shift is over," he answered. Before moving from the counter, he felt around the floor with his stick to be certain he wouldn't step on her. Patrick straightened himself up and walked out of the kitchen to his living room.

"I'd give ya a tour, but... Heh. I'm a terrible guide," he told her with some humour in his voice. "It's also nothing pretty, I know. You're welcome to spiff up my home if it ever bothers you. My home, is your home."

A smile drifted up to Rebecca's lips as she was told she could spiff up the place. She'd definately take advantage of that offer, nothing crazy, just some accents really. What was the point of painting if he wouldn't be able to enjoy it? She followed him out of the kitchen and to his living room, glancing around curiously as she spoke.

"Well, you better watch what you say...I might take you up on that offer and flip this place upside down." She said with a small giggle.

She continued to stand, looking around and pacing a bit as she pictured the things she could do with the place.

Patrick chuckled, and felt a little surprised that she actually considered his words. This house was a good one; that's what he was told. It might as well be cherished in every way possible. As far as he knew, this is where he'd live for the rest of his days. That was, at least, until he was of old age. He'd have to retire to a place that someone could take care of him. Blind men were so much more needy once they were elderly. Patrick hoped to be independent for as long as possible.

"As long as it's still livable, I'm okay with it," he told her with a smile. "What wouldja like to do? I'm sorry that I don't have much to do around here... I'm also not much fun, since I need help with going places."

Rebecca smiled as she looked to him and crossed her arms over her chest. She honestly didn't have any plans, and she'd feel bad if she tried to make Patrick entertain her...though in truth that was what she was already doing. She then thought that she could show him around more, he'd still hadn't been to town yet...or at least she hoped he hadn't.

"Well....If it's not a problem for you, why don't you come into town with me? I mean, I could take you around and give you an idea of where everything is...You can't avoid the city forever right? I'd drive there, park, and then we could walk around." She suggested, slightly nervous.

A grin plastered to his face when she offered to take him on a tour of the city. There would be nothing for him to see, but he could at least get properly acquainted with smells and sounds. He hoped, dearly, that nothing would interrupt them. That 'storm' in the sky was not going to bring any rain that he knew of. That was a warning, a sign that a portal was opening there. Somehow, power hunger creatures knew of his whereabouts. Endangering Rebecca did not sit right with him, but he had confidence in his capabilities to defend her.

"That sounds cool," he told her, and then touched a hand to his chest, a shy chuckle escaping him. "I should put on some actual clothes. Sorry about that."

Patrick ventured away from her, searching for his bedroom so he could do just that. In under a minute, his outreached hand managed to find the trim to his room's door. Without a word, he walked in, without even bothering to close his door. It was a habit of his, to not worry about privacy in his own home. Visitors who accidentally saw him without clothes on never had a complaint, since his body was nowhere near unattractive.

Once he found his closet, he pushed the sliding door aside and felt around for a clean pair of jeans and a t-shirt. His white stick was set up against the wall so he could use both hands to strip off his pajamas and get himself dressed.

Rebecca smiled and giggled along with him, moving over to a nearby couch to sit an wait.

"It's no problem, I do the same thing when I'm at home on the weekends sometimes. I mean, what's the point of changing if I have nowhere to go?" She said as she watched him walk off.

Her eyes followed him down the hall, curious as to where his room might have been. She watched him enter and was able to catch a slim glimps of him going through his closet at the angle she was at and even saw him start to strip. She quickly looked away though, her face going red as she realized she was staring a little to intently to be polite...not that watching someone change was polite.

As she waited for him she started to think of the places she could take him to. She could show him the grocery store and the library, since maybe he could make use of them. She could also show him her school, and the shops around it. They were all family run and each did their own things. She could probably take him out to dinner even, if he felt like it. There was a good number of restaurants to go to, some nice and quiet while others were more like sports bars. She continued to wonder and think, trying to put together a list of places he would like, or that would be helpful to him.

Having on these clean clothes made Patrick feel more awake, therefore less lazy. He had on a red t-shirt with the Adidas logo on the front, in black, along with a pair of washed out denim jeans. With a pair of socks in one hand and the stick in the other, he made his way out of his room so he could finish getting ready. The hand with the socks felt around for his sofa, making contact with the top of Rebecca's head as he did so. Patrick let out a laugh before muttering an apology, then took the cushion beside her.

His reliable white stick was set down on the couch's arm so he could lean over to pull on his plain, black socks. When he was finished, he made a gentle sigh and sat back against the plush sofa. One of his hands ran over the top of his head, combing through his beach blond hair so he could assure himself he looked decent. That same hand dropped down to seek out one of Rebecca's hands. When he found it, he wrapped his strong fingers around it and said, "When you're ready, just give my arm a tug."

Patrick did that out of habit, to all women, men and even children he depended on for guidance. It wasn't until it sank in that he was holding the hand of a girl who he imagined to be very pretty. He felt bashful sitting this close to her, but didn't regret it. She had a very nice fragrance that was either perfume or shampoo. Whatever it was, he liked it. Rebecca's hand was also very soft, which indicated she took good care of her skin. There was no doubt now that she was beautiful, which had him wondering why she was single.

At least until then, he could enjoy her company...

Rebecca was brought out of her thoughts as he came back into the room, looking rather nice in his clean clothing. When he tried to find the couch, and found her head instead, she souldn't help but laugh along with him, not minding the feel of his large hand petting her, it was rather comforting. She watched him put on his socks and ran a hand through his hair, wanting to do that herself since she found it to be like such a lovely color.

When he grabbed her hand though she couldn't help but blush, it was much bigger and warmer than her own, making her feel small. They were soft but slightly rough, giving away that he took care of his skin but not as much as she did. She could also feel the gentleness they had as he held on tightly but without hurting her. She couldn't help but like this strong hold around her fingers and quickly returned the gentle grasp as she stood up, tugging on his arm gently.

"We'll have to walk to my house first so I can get my stuff and car, but after that we'll go right into town." She said as she waited for him to come along.

As Rebecca tugged him, he used his other hand to snatch up his stick, and stood up with her. He couldn't help but laugh when she said they'd be going to her house first. "I'll have to watch out for your doggy," he said with a grin.

Letting the strap of his white stick hang around his elbow, he reached into the pocket of his jeans where he slipped in his house key. He prepared it so he could lock his house while she led him to the door. It took some time to get the key in properly, but not as long as he anticipated. Once the key turned and clicked to tell him it was locked, the key was pocketed again.

"All set," he told her, then walked to her home hand in hand. Patrick was excited about the coming hours he was going to spend with this woman. They would, doubtlessly, be memorable.

Rebecca giggled as he mentioned her dog and waited for him quietly as he locked his front door. She was rather excited to get to hang out with someone and not be locked away in her home for once....It also didn't hurt that he was attractive in his own way, if he wasn't blind he would certainly be catching girls like they were flies caught on fly paper. As they walked hand in hand to her house she realized that this sort of felt like a date, not that she had ever been on one before, but they were just like the couples you'd see on magizines, walking and smiling, holding hands happily and they enjoyed each other's company. She blushed deeply before shaking off the thought and clearing her throat slightly.

"Well, I was thinking that I could take you around and show you the basics...I mean, let you get used to the area and such, like the store or library....then I could take you by my school, they usually lock up for a bit until the evening classes so we won't be able to go inside. There are some interesting shops near the school though so if you were interested we could wander around there...Then if you felt up to eat we could grab a bite or something, there a plenty of places to go in town." She said as she started to pull him up her driveway and to her front door.

With her free hand she unlocked it quickly and pushed open the door, quickly being greeted by a happy bark from Rodger, followed by an rough licking of her hand as she tried to pet his head.

"Heh...If you could tell, we're at my house."