Blind Hearted

A charming smile touched his lips as she gave him the indecision towards her college majors. "Simple, then. Get the culinary degree and write books about cooking," he told her, only half serious. He knew some people that wrote books about their own careers and made good money that way. There were lots of people who depended on non-fiction writers and cook book authors to continue their series.

Patrick's smile got simpler as she gave him her appearance. Evidently, Rebecca didn't have a lot of confidence in her image. She called herself dull, as well as average, and said that her wardrobe wasn't exciting. "I'm sorry, Rebecca. You'll have to explain to me what an average figure is," he said, making air quotes with one of his hands when he said 'average'. He didn't get to be close with many women, so he had no idea what that meant.

With an inward smirk, he thought to himself 'I know other ways to answer my questions.' Of course, Patrick wasn't the type. He could be surprisingly intimate, but only with people he was comfortable around.

"Short and curly hair... Blond? Brown? ...purple?"

"I guess I could do that...but then I would be busy all the time cook and writing, I'd want some free time as well." Rebecca said as she took his statement seriously into consideration.

She blushed a bit as she realized that her simple discription wouldn't be enough for Patrick to get an idea of what she looked like at all. She looked back down at herself once against as she tried to think of more explanitory words to help him. Her eyes rolled over her long legs, clad in her skinny jeans, her tennis shoes popping out at the bottom in a bright white, as if they were brand new. She giggled a bit as he guessed her hair color and turned to him.

"Well, I have a small waist, i'm thin and sort of lacky I suppose. Some people say I'm a bit on the boney side but I don't mean to be...I just have a high metabolisum. My hair is brown, not purple or any other unnatural hair color in the visible spectrum. My legs are thin I guess I have some decent curves...I'm not huge but I have something...My eyes are also brown and my feet a little smaller than most girls I think..." She said in a sort of mumble, talking about how she looked while sitting in a public park making her a bit nervous.

He was letting her description sink in, some words echoing in his mind as he pieced together all the traits. The image he conjured up was likable; more than likable. Patrick imagined her to be a petite woman that couldn't gain more weight if her life depended on it. "If only I knew what those colours even looked like," he said with a sigh, then caught himself getting depressed. He instantly straightened up and put on a small smile. Those were just hair colours he remembered people telling him about. His family called his blond and when he asked what that meant, they'd say gold or yellow. That... Never helped, at all.

"You sound pretty," he told her, some pink brushing over his cheeks. She might as well have a compliment, even if it didn't mean anything coming from a blind man. It was easy to tell that she didn't have too much confidence in her looks.

"You say you want to be an author. Have you written anything?" he asked, deciding to change the subject. "I ask because, well... I like being read to. I'd love to hear a story."

There was more strength in his voice this time. Whenever he thought about someone reading him a book, it sparked his youth, therefore excited him.

Rebecca felt a little bit of sadness fill her as he mentioned his lack of knowledge on colors, she could never imagine living such a life, completely in darkness, no bright hues of pick or yellow or blue to brighten her attitude or make her feel better. She blushed as he called her pretty, the words still making her feel good even though they came from someone that didn't have the ability to see anything at all.

"Thanks, but the color is pretty dull, not really much to it at all." She said, not wanting him to feel bad about not really knowing about colors.

She smiled as he mentioned him liking stories and being read to, she couldn't help but think that traint about him very endearing, especially since most of the time people prefered to be alon when they read.

"I've writting things here and there...nothing long like a novel, just some simple short stories...I'll make sure to have one on me the next time Rodger pounces on you so I can let you hear it..." She said with a small laugh.

Much as he didn't want to take her word for it, he went ahead and accepted that brown was 'dull'. There was no way he could properly argue! She definitely did not give herself enough credit for her looks. One day, he hoped to help her face the fact that she was good looking. A woman looking down on herself always broke his heart.

"That would be awesome," he replied, chuckling with her at the mention of Rodger jumping on him. "In that case, he can jump on me anytime he wants."

Patrick shook his head so his hood would fall off. He wanted to get a better idea of what the weather was like today. A breeze combed through his short hair and the temperature was fair. "The sun must be out," he said absently, tilting his head towards the sky. Having some light on his face was nice; he even removed the dark glasses on his eyes. His irises were a milky shade of blue, which is why he wore these things. These useless eyes were better off hiding when he was in public.

Rebecca wanted to look back up to the sky with him, to also take in the feel of the warm rays on her face, but she just couldn't stop looking at him. His blonde hair was so sunny, almost like gold to her, and his pale eyes seemed to hold a wisdom she would never have. She couldn't help herself, she just had to look at him, at his face that he had hidden behind pitch black sunglasses and a hood. She never stared like this very often, it was only when things perked her interest that she would gawk so openly, and in a park nonetheless. As soon as he started to speak she was jolted from her observing haze and brought back to the harsh reality...at least he didn't know she was staring.

"Ah, yes it is...you know...you have very pretty eyes..." She said softly, taking a chance and sending him a compliment for once instead of it being the other way around. "I mean, at least I think they are...they seem like they have so much more depth that other eyes..."

She leaned back, her stare going from hazy and almost love struck to critical and serious, In general he was an attractive person, even she had to openly admit that to herself, if it weren't for their awkward greeting she might have even atempted to flirt just for some fun. What she wanted to know was, why did he hide it?

"If you don't mind me asking...why to you wear your hood and glasses, I mean I understand the glasses part but I really don't see the point of the hood, you look just like anyone else..." She mumbled as she finally was able to look back up to the sky.

Patrick blinked his eyes when she complimented them, pink stretching across his face. No one's ever called his eyes, of all things, beautiful. They lacked proper colour, and they were useless. At least, that's what people told him. "Th-Thanks," he said appreciatively, albeit shyly as he went back to just facing straight ahead.

A finger scratched lightly at one of his cheeks when she questioned him about his hood and glasses, though more specifically, the hood. Patrick's neck craned so that he was facing his lap. Even though he couldn't see anything, he made coy gestures just like any normal person. In his mind, he knew that this was part of a bashful person's behaviour. It sometimes made him feel...weird.

"It's a shy habit of mine," he explained, his voice soft. "I've done this every since I was a kid. Some things just can't be outgrown."

Hearing her say that he looked like any regular person was encouraging, though. Words like that were what helped him gain the confidence to show himself in public minus his hood. He felt comfortable around her, and realized that as long as she accepted him, he didn't need to hide. It was a very nice change.

Rebecca couldn't help but smile as she realized that she made him blush, something that she had never gotten out of other people before, it felt like a mini accomplishment to her. She closed her own eyes as her head lulled back, her face getting hit completely by the warm sun rays.

"It's not a problem, I really mean it. Also I guess I can understand that...I still haven't grown up out of collecting stuffed animals yet."
She said absentmindedly, trying to make a realation to what he said.

She opened her eyes again and looked down at her hip, Rodger had nudged her and panted lightly, his tongue hanging out with his mouth wide open. She pet his head and clicked the leash back onto his collar, nudging her like that was his way of saying 'I want to go home...now.'

"Well, sorry to cut my stay at the park short but Rodger want to head home...You're welcome to stay if you want though, and if that's the case i'll say my goodbye here." She said as she stood up and looked at him with a smile.

The bit she told him about stuffed animals made him grin. It made sense, really. A connection she made with animal lovers is they also loved plushies. He recalled having teddy bears as a kid, always clinging to them and claiming they were the only true friends he had. By now, they must have been donated to some place, or packed away forever.

Disappointment struck him when she said she had to leave now. "Awh, why, Rodger?" he asked in a sad voice, but made another smile to indicate his humour. This didn't really surprise him. Any actual conversation he had with someone seemed too good to last, but he was grateful for that little time he was able to spend with her.

"Be safe," he told her, making a wave with his hand when he felt her stand up. "Thank you for guiding me here."

Rebecca smiled as she gave a small giggle, Rodger also barking at Patrick as if to say goodbye to him as well. She started to scratch the back of her head as she spoke, almost nervous at going home and leaving him here to sit completely alone.

"Heh, No problem, it was defiantely fun to hang out with you...Maybe next time I won't bring Rodger, that way we can hang out a little longer...and you won't get pounced again." She said, mumbling the last half as she.

"Anyway, it was really nice meeting you Patrick, I hope I'll see you around the neighbourhood." She said.

"It was nice to meet you too, Rebecca," he responded, while slipping his glasses back over his eyes. "You're welcome to my house anytime. If I'm not taking customer service calls, I can answer for you, and you can wait..."

Patrick's words trailed off and he just smiled apologetically, looking back down at his lap. He had tendencies to ramble, just like she did. It might have been awkward to open his home to her right away and say she could hang around there, even while he worked. Living there alone was painfully lonely. Going home seemed good now, so he could get more situated and look into getting a guide dog.

"Is there a service animal center around?" he asked her, hoping she would know. Patrick intended to call them, not visit, but it helped to know that such a place existed locally.

"Er, s-sorry. Go on and take care of yourself!" he said, stammering.

Rebecca couldn't help but linger as he spoke, not really wanting to leave without hearing everything that he had to ask or say. She smiled a bit more at his invite to come over and to hang out. With her being old enough to basically take care of herself her parents were rarely around anymore. Her mother would always be over at someone elses house, gossiping or knitting or baking with them, she was even taking classes in potery. Her father was also always at work, doing plenty of overtime to keep food on the table and Rebecca in her classes. To be able to come home from learning at school and someone to talk to...would defiantely be nice.

"You know...I'd like that. I'll come by and visit sometime after my classes, oh, and there is a service animal center in town. It's on the edge of town near the neighbourhoods so you won't need to worry about busy streets....Anyway, I'll see you later Patrick, It was great talking to you!" She said cheerfully with a wide smile.

She then turned from him and started to head home, Rodger once more trying to drag her along the ground.

Patrick nodded his head silently when she told him farewell, and sat there as if he was made of stone now that he was alone. A familiar emptiness developed within him, which he often times felt due to loneliness. He sighed and rubbed at the back of his neck, the other hand making a rhythmic tap on his knee. Everything was instantly more quiet now... Next time, he hoped to remember his iPod. That was one of the most cherished gifts he had from his family. They put on as many song as they could fit so he could have music to keep him company.

With his stick in hand, he felt around the sidewalk before getting up from the bench. He began to make his way back home, desperately hoping that he could remember the right directions. If not, someone was sure to help a poor, lost blind man.

Coming to a crosswalk, he stood there and listened for all the cars to stop. There was something... Off, not too far from him. More specifically, above him. It sent a chill up his spine and made him feel threatened. Most people probably didn't notice the developing darkness swirling in the sky. Patrick certainly didn't, but he could sense it.

'I just hope I'm wrong.' he prayed mentally, then went to crossing the road when his time came. Getting home took longer than it should have, but he made it eventually.

Rebecca made her way home clumsily, Rodger nearly making her fall over as he tried to rush home. Usually he didn't act like this but she had to assume he was just being impatient. As she was dragged along she couldn't help but feel bad for leaving Patrick back at the park, she wouldn't have usually done that but Rodger was a stubborn dog, when he wanted to go home he would go home, with or without Rebecca.

A small smile came to her lips however as she thought about seeing Patrick again, it would be quite nice. Her parents had been bothering her to get out and talk to people her age, maybe he would be a good place to start since all her other friends were off a college.

When she finally got home she couldn't help but notice that the sky was getting darker, maybe a possible rain storm just floating overhead, the calm before the storm as they said. Rodger whimpered slightly and scratched at the door, rather egar to get himself inside. Rebecca looked down and smiled while she pat his head and finally opened the door. She'd probably spend the night packing up for her classes tomorrow...maybe she would stop by at Patrick's house as well, her mother was talking about sending a welcome gift over anyway...

After closing the door, Patrick slid off his shoes and made his way to the kitchen for a glass of water. It took a while, since he had yet to memorize what cupboard had his cups, plates and whatever else. The trays of ice cubes probably weren't completely frozen yet, so he dealt with what cold water the tap could offer. It was swallowed in a matter of seconds; he didn't realize just how thirsty he was.

The sleeve of his jacket was ran across his lips after he set the glass down. 'What now?' he wondered, feeling his way back to his living room. It did have a television just like any other living room, since he enjoyed at least listening to programs. What he was after though, was his phone so he could call the service animal center.

There was one problem, though... He didn't know the number.

"Dammit," he muttered, turning the phone off and setting it into his lap after sitting on the couch. For now, he decided just to relax and try to get comfortable in this new house. It was going to be more challenging now that he didn't have a parent or sibling around for assistance. He knew that eventually, he'd have to learn survival on his own, but dearly hoped that time wouldn't sneak up on him.

Time ticked by slowly for Rebecca for the rest of the even, from making dinner to finishing up the last of her homework. She didn't have much to do with herself anymore now that her social life was dead. She eventually changed into her pajamas as it got later in the evening and crawled into her bed, setting her lap top on her sheets and typing away at another short story. As she wrote her mind began to wander to her day with Patrick and sitting in the park with him, the memories slowly flowing into her typing as the scene played out in her words, a dog attacking a man, a woman apologizing many times...She didn't realize it until she was done but she soon had the whole day typed up.

She looked at her laptop for a moment, slightly shocked that her fingers just composed such a soppy and romantic piece, the couple walking off together in the end, unlike Rebecca who had left Patrick to sit alone. She quickly save the story, something she wasn't even sure about doing, and shut it down quickly, she was getting to caught up in her thoughts again and it was starting to show in her work. She set her computer to the side before slipping under the covers and turning out the lights, closing her eyes as she got ready to get some sleep before her classes in the morning...

Patrick managed to acquire the phone number he needed by contacting an operator, and then spent the rest of his time in bed, waiting to fall asleep. He needed to make a habit of sleeping earlier so he could get up in time to work. Since he had a disability, he doubted they'd get too angry of a little lateness. Still... He knew where his responsibilities lie.

He woke to his alarm clock, which he reached over to click off. The digital numbers were useless, but it served its purpose to wake him. While making a grumpy noise, he laid an arm out to the empty side of his bed, wishing there was somebody there. It didn't matter who or what; he just didn't want to be alone. This was going to take more getting used to than he anticipated.

For the next few hours, and the hours after that, he worked, while Rebecca was in school. Patrick was friendly to the customers who called him, either complaining about their broken product or saying they'd like to make a purpose. Surprisingly, he had patience for even the grouchiest of people. It made his job so much easier to tolerate.

By three in the afternoon, he was finished working. He pulled off the headset and then laid back in his chair, making a side as he rubbed his eyes. This work was easy, at least. It kept his mind busy, and this special computer system worked great for somebody like him. This wasn't a career or anything resulting from college success, but it would help keep his mind healthy, and help put food on the table. Well... Extra food, rather, since he could easily live off of his disability checks.

All in all, he just wanted a life like a normal working person, despite that this job could be done while he wore pajamas. 'I wonder if I'll see her again today.'

Rebecca had moved quickly that morning, going from shower to breakfast to the car in under thirty minutes, it was a brand new record. She knew the sooner she finished her classes the better she would feel. After she arrived at the community college her day went by in a blur, her brain catching all the info in her classes and jotting it down in a note book but as soon as a class ended it quickly left her head.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
When classes were done everything seemed to slow down, she wasn't so twitchy any more as she realized that she was free for the afternoon. She blinked a bit in wonder as her morning had just flashed before her eyes, if it had only been a second instead of a few hours. Shaking her head a bit and moving on her way she walked to her car and returned home, thinking about what she could do to fill her afternoon.<o:p></o:p>
She didn't need to walk Rodger, her mother had gone out with him that morning when she had been heading out the door. She didn't need to go shopping because her mother said she would be doing that in the afternoon. She had no homework at all, having finished all during one of her free periods before her last class. Then Patrick popped into her mind, she did say that she might come over and visit sometime, and she really had nothing better to do with herself...<o:p></o:p>
Rebecca drove a little faster as she debated in her head about going or not, listing the pros and cons of just simply walking over for no reason and saying hello. By the time she got home she had lost count on her list and was about to bang her head against the steering wheel in aggravation. She parked and stumbled out of her car, grabbing her bag and heading into her house. She tossed the bag on the couch and wandered into the kitchen for a snack when she say a plate of cookies on a plate, with a note on top.<o:p></o:p>
'Rebecca, take these to the new neighbor and say hello, one of the girls told me it was a man and he looked close to your age, who knows, maybe you'll get lucky! Love, mom'<o:p></o:p>
Rebecca couldn't help but blush as she read her mother’s note, quickly tossing it into the trash. She looked over the plate of cookies for a second before she took a deep breath and tugged on her long sleeve purple shirt that she had put on that morning before grabbing the cookies, her house keys, and slipping out of the house. She headed over the Patrick’s house quickly, remembering which it had been, and headed to the front door, ringing the door bell once and waited...She hoped that he was home.<o:p></o:p>

It came to his attention that during his work, he never got up during his break to get something to eat. So, instead of changing out of his lounge pants and t-shirt, he made his way to the kitchen for a sandwich and something to drink.

Patrick was in his kitchen getting something to eat when he heard the doorbell ring. "That was quick," he said to himself, assuming it was the service animal people delivering his dog to him. He reached out for his white stick, which was leaning against his refrigerator, and then made his way over to his door. On the counter, a sandwich was left unfinished. Both slices of bread had mayonnaise spread on them, but no cold cuts or cheese yet.

Feeling around for the lock on his door, he twisted it and then turned the doorknob, opening his door for whoever was here. "Hello?" he asked, blinking his milky blue eyes. Until he heard a voice, he hadn't a clue who was here. Hopefully they didn't mind his lazy looking attire...

Rebecca smiled as she watched him open the door, dressed in what she assumed to be his pajamas.

"Hey Patrick, It's me Rebecca, from yesterday remember?" She said as she adjusted the plate of cookies in her arms and shifted from one foot to another at the same time. "Anyway, I brought over a house warming gift from my mom, it's a plate of cookies."

She continued to shift from one foot to another, feeling nervous as she waited for him to remember, and slightly worried that me might not.