Blind Hearted

Lothar was turning into absolutely nothing, more and more as she ripped out the pages. Piece by piece of him fell and disintegrated. As a foreign creature from a different realm, it was obvious that he did not die naturally. Along with his disappearance, he blurted out a string of endless curse words until he was completely gone. The thieving librarian was no more.

A relieved sigh passed through Patrick's lips when the deed was done. Immediately, he fell to his butt so he could catch his breath. He was incredibly red in the face and panting. Playing that song took a lot of air out of him, but he'd recover from it in no time. They needed to sit a moment so their hearing could be regained, too.

"Are... You... Okay?" he asked in between breaths, anxious for Rebecca to walk over and assure him she was indeed okay.

As soon as Lothar disappeared Rebecca dropped the empty shell of a book, the ripped pages scattered around her feet. She made her way over to Patrick who was sitting on the ground and was quick to wrap her arms around him in a tight back breaking hug. She though she had acted brave there she was shaking slightly with fear. She had been so scared, even as she ripped the book and fought with Lothar, he could have hurt her and Patrick if she had not won the fight.

"I-I'm fine...I pray that the ba-" Rebecca stop mid-word. She had never told Patrick about the baby! She had been interrupted by that strange knight before she could tell him and she was certain that he had caught her little stumble there. She quickly changed the subject, now was no the time to mention babies. "What about you? Are you alright?" She asked as hse started to check over him quickly, taking his face in her hands as she checked for wounds and such.

A huge breath of air was forced out of Patrick when she hugged him with a surprising amount of strength. Dramatically, he gasped for more air and then made a relieved sigh when her grip loosened. His pace of breathing still needed to be steadied. He felt lightheaded and worn out, but after a while of sitting down, he knew he'd be back on his feet.

"I'm alright," he assured her quietly, noticing that she was inspecting him for injuries. There was nothing fatal this time. Some scratches and bruises, that was all. Patrick somehow managed to go untouched during the whole ordeal on the roof.

"Let's find Lucifer and then go home. I'm tired," Patrick suggested, already getting up to his feet. The instrument was pocketed as he stood, his balance wobbly at first. With Rebecca nearby, he avoided falling over. Once they found his seeing eye dog, they could get back to safety. He remembered there was something she wanted to tell him, too. Hopefully she still would; he felt bad that her words went interrupted.

"Yeah...Let's get home.." She said softly as she helped him stand once again and walked him toward the door.

It didn't take long to find Lucifer, he was currently holding his post as Patrick had instructed while the police tried to tempt him away from the spot. After that everything was a bit of a blur. The police were quick to corner and question her and Patrick as they helped them down the stairs. Rebecca just said that there were being held hostage on a higher floor so that they wouldn't assume that they might know something. It took a bit of time but they eventually made it down and without having the police call her parents and worry them, she would definately leaving the story out of her growing list of things to do.

When they arrived at her car she let out a small sigh of relief, at least that had survived the horror of the day. She helped Patrick sit down before slipping into the drivers seat...Soon she wouldn't be able to drive anymore once her stomach was big enough...She needed to tell Patrick soon, and now that they were sitting down once again and calm.

"It feels nice to sit..." She started out with a light laugh, trying to think of some way to tell him what was on her mind.

"It is," he mumbled when he was brought to his seat. Lucifer sat quietly in the back seat with Patrick's white cane in his mouth, waiting for the appropriate time to hand it to his owner. Patrick's head thudded against the headrest part of the seat and he shut his eyes, taking the moment to relax himself. All that went on took so much energy out of him and needless to say, he was still baffled. Lothar was gone; he was completely free. There was no reason to hide, be paranoid of unwanted invasions or worry if Rebecca would be put in danger.

A hand then went to his head, his fingers combing through his blond hair. He noticed he was in need of a trim. The tips of his bangs were going to be in his eyes. Which was no problem for a blind man, but he didn't want to look shaggy either.

"Drive whenever you feel like you can. I'll make everything better when we get to my house. I know you must be scared still," he told her in a gentle voice, his tone very apologetic and somber. Patrick felt horrible for what happened to her and was mentally kicking himself for not comforting her beforehand.

Rebecca smiled a bit when he said she could drive when ever she felt like it, and in all honestly and really didn't want to drive at all. She had far to much on her mind to focus on driving. With Lothar gone all she had to worry about was the baby and Patrick's reaction. The two of them would be perfectly safe now it seemed, at least from magic related enemies, she could not promise that her father wouldn't go after Patrick for his own reasons. She started the car finally and started to head back to Patrick's house, her mind to bubbling on how she would tell him. Her nerves started to get shaky as her mind thought more and more about tell Patrick about the baby and she started to question if she even should.

They stopped at the stop light more a moment and Rebecca suddenly got a bit of courage. If she couldn't tell Patrick about the baby then what could she tell him? She needed to get over her fears and just do it then and there, the sooner the better as they say...Besides, she could easily escape after she dropped him off at his house if he rejected her. She took ina deep breath as she waited for the light to change and started to speak softly.

"Patrick...Remember when I was trying to tell you something earlier?" She asked, looked ot him out of the corner of her eye as she bit her lip nervously.

Patrick stayed laying back in the seat when she drove, just happy to be resting. There was noticeable fatigue in his milky blue eyes. There and then, he could fall asleep if he wanted to. He resisted, though. Falling asleep on poor Rebecca was not ideal, plus she wanted to tell him something. Just when he was going to ask about it, she brought it up again during a pause at a stoplight.

"Yeah, what is it?" he asked curiously.

Rebecca started to drive as the light turned green, continuing on their way home where they could both relax for a bit. She had a feeling that they wouldn't be relaxing much at all once she told him what was on her mind. She let out a small shaky breath as she looked at the road, not wanting to see his reaction as she told him the news.

"I...well, since we've started being together...we've done a lot, and I love you so much and...and I'm pregnant..." She finally said, keeping her eyes on the road as she held her breath, waiting for Patrick's reply.

"Um..."

Rebecca's words didn't sink in until they repeated in his mind. Perhaps because he was fatigued and not expecting something so shocking, he didn't hear the statement right. An overflow of emotion suddenly replaced all else in his thoughts. A mix of fear, anxiety, surprise... At the same time, happiness. Children made adults feel jubilant, from what he heard. His own Mother and Father would always tell him cheerful stories about his and his siblings' childhood. Since his mid-teen years, he wondered what it would be like to be a dad.

A coy smile touched his lips while he scratched at his temple, trying to find the right words to say. This was a delicate situation; he needed to treat it like one.

"You will be a wonderful Mother," he decided on. "You're such a sweetheart and you have good cooking. And, you're...Beautiful."

The last bit was hesitant, which he felt stupid for. She knew he thought she was beautiful, but it was difficult for him to say sometimes, since he could not actually see her. With his other senses, though... He could confirm she was indeed a lovely woman.

One hand reached from his lap to find her own. The movement was clumsy at first, moving around the middle area of the car until he felt her leg. Her thigh was given an affectionate squeeze and during the entire ride, he kept it that way.

"Everything will be okay," Patrick whispered.

Patrick's comforting words and gentle squeezing of his hand on her leg was all Rebecca needed to hear to know that he was not going anywhere anytime soon. She let out the breath she had been holding and smiled widely, so widely that she swore she was about to split her face in half. Her chest started to shake a bit as she began to cry, not because she was upset though, but because she was happy. She had been worrying herself left and right with what he might say and now that it was all over and he was going to stay she felt such a relief.

She pulled up at his house as she atempted to wipe her eyes dry, a mix of a sob and a laugh escaping her mouth as she put tha tcar in park. She probably sounded silly at the moment but she didn't care, and she was certain that Patrick didn't care either. As soon as the car was off she scooted across the seat and wrapped her arms around Patrick's neck, nuzzling into his lonvingly as she laughed and cried at the same time.

"Thank God...I was so worried." She said as she kissed his cheek and clung to him needily.

The moment the car stopped, Rebecca climbed right over to him to deliver affection. Thinking that leaning over the seat was uncomfortable, he helped her to his lap, his arms tightly embracing her. His head rested atop of hers while a hand made comfort strokes over one of her arms. Minutes before this, he could hear her beginning to sob. Much more than he would have expected. Sympathy sparkled in his faded eyes; did she half expect him to react negatively? That made him feel bad. But he could understand. Many women endured that sort of fear and pain. 'Poor girl'

As they sat there, he hummed a gentle song. It was a tune that he created himself a few years ago. An impressive talent of his, considering he couldn't properly write sheet music. Rebecca was getting drowned by her tears, but there was laughter mixed with that emotion. He could sense she was more happy and relieved than anything else. That put a smile on his face. His own eyes were moistening, but he was doing his best to blink them back. Even in his home-realm, he was raised being told a man shouldn't cry.

"I love you."

Rebecca smiled and cuddled into Patrick as he pulled her into his lap, her arms tightening around his neck as felt his head rest upon hers. She wiped her eyes quietly as he hummed to her and leaned into him the whole time as they sat there smiling and holding each other close. When he said she loved her she could only smile and place another sweet kiss upon his cheeks.

"I love you too, Patrick. I love you too...Also, there is something you should know." She said to him as she glanced up at him from her place in his lap.

"And that would be?" He asked with a gentle smile on his face.

"My family has this thing where every other generation has a set of twins so...we might want to be prepared." She admited softly. Patrick just smiled and shook his head a bit before holding her a bit tighter.

"I'm sure we'll handle it just fine..."

5 months later.

"Patrick! Lunch is ready!" Rebecca called as she finished making some sandwiches and grabbed a bag of potato chips.

She set them on the kitchen table and took a seat, letting out a small sigh of relief as she sat down. She leaned back in her chair and placed a hand on her stomach, it rather round at that point. She had luckily finished her current semester at the community college before she started showing and had switched to internet classes for convience and so she could still learn and take of the babies once they came...Yes, she had twins at the moment but that was alright, Patrick was at home as well with his job so she could easily get a tiny bit of help from if she was desperate.

She was also living with Patrick now, having moved out of her parents home after telling them the big news. Though they had been rather upset with her and angry with Patrick, they seemed to go easy on him after they learned he was blind and was willing to take responcibility. The sound of a tapping stick let her know that her boy was coming and turned and smiled a bit at him as he wandered in.

"So what's for lunch?" He asked as she wandered over to the table, feeling around to make sure he took a seat next to Rebecca.

"Sandwiches and chips, I need to go to the store later today so I can get more stuff for this week. Are you free from work? I could use a person to lean on." She said sweetly as she handed her man a plate with a sandwich and chips. Patrick smiled and felt around for his sandwich, grabbing it and taking a bite. He hummed contently and swallowed his food before speaking.

"Not yet, I've got a few more hours so if you can wait I'll go with you." He said as he took another bite. "Hmm, why are you so good to me?" He asked jokingly as he ate more of his lunch. Rebecca just smiled and took a bite of her own lunch before.

"Well...I suppose you could say that before I met you, I was a little blind hearted..." She said to him softly. leaning over and placing a small kiss on her boys cheek...

THE END~