Blind Hearted

It impressed Patrick that she had their day all drawn out. All he could do was smile as she listed the places to him, even including that they could sit someplace to eat. He would like that more than she knew... Patrick didn't get to have gourmet meals at his house because of his blindness. His stove and oven would rarely be able to be used, out of fear he might ruin his food, kitchen or burn down the house.

"That sounds great," he commented quietly, stopping when she did so she could unlock the door.

The sound of her dog barking made him chuckle. "Yo, Rodger," he said to his new canine friend. Patiently, he waited in the house for Rebecca to do what he needed to do. While doing so, he took in the smells of this different home and let his hand roam around carefully to get a feel for what objects were around. Picture frames, antiques, sculptures... Patrick loved to trace his fingers on art so he could imagine how it looked.

'I wonder how Rebecca feels...' he thought to himself, a little ashamed for even allowing that to cross his mind. He was a guy... That was a valid excuse, right? Instead, he tried to focus on the rest of the day. It would be the greatest day he's ever had in a long time, no matter how simple these places were.

Rebecca let go of his had slowly as she walked to her stairs. "I'll be right back with my stuff. Rodger, you better not knock him over." She said in a warning tone, obviouly joking.

Rodger just barked back at her before nudging his head into Patrick's leg, demanding that he be pet and paid attention too. As that happened She quickly darted up to her room and opened her door. She was really happy to be spending the day with Patrick. It was definately going to be much more fun that just sitting around in her room. Her mind started to drift as she though about the plans.

"This is going to be fun...It's almost like a date-" She stopped her though and blushed deeply.

She couldn't believe she just thought that! It was not a date! She was just helping Patrick out...She was certain Patrick wasn't thinking that way anyway, they only just met.She shook her head and collecting her purse, stuffing her wallet with extra cash, and grabbed the keys to her car before she stumbled back down the stairs.

"Okay, I've got to feed Rodger real quick before we go." She said as she shuffled around with her purse and headed into the kitchen.

Rodger stayed with Patrick until the sound of food falling into his bowl caused him to dart of and bark egarly beforequetly munching away at his food. Rebecca just laughed as she came back into the room and approched Patrick, grabbing his hand gently again.

The sound of Rodger running off to claim his meal made Patrick smile. He was a friendly dog with valued company, he decided. It must have been nice to have an animal companion. Rebecca seemed to be really close with the hyperactive dog!

"Awesome. All set," he told her, squeezing her hand when she grabbed his. It relieved him that she had the initiative to take it without permission, or leave him to search for it. Patrick always felt safer when holding onto someone, much as he disliked being so dependent. Using her for help felt... Right, though. She didn't seem to mind it, and he liked her helpfulness. Patrick would have to repay her sometime.

He let her lead him back outside so they could travel to their first destination. It would be useful to know the location of the grocery store, for certain. The library would be as well, so as long as he learned where the special section for blind people was. Reading was all the same once he learned how to read Braille.

Rebecca lead him to her car before opening the passenger side door for him.

"Alright, we'll be taking my car, is that okay? Its a little to long of a walk and with the way the sky looks I'd rather not get caught in the rain..." She said as she stooded and leaned into the car door, keeping it proped open as she waited for his answer.

Her fingers held his gently as she waited for him, almost as if she was meant to just hold onto no matter what. Her mind started to wander as she thought of other things to say, to talk about with him. She didn't want to care ride to be silent but she hated to play the radio, none of the songs were ever good. She honestly just wanted to be of help, she was always just told to wait, to leave it to someone else, no one had ever really asked her for help. Now here was Patrick, always happy to accept her help...she felt useful with him.

Patrick couldn't remember the last time he was a passenger in a car. It was probably months ago, when he went to get his eyes examined. Otherwise, he was always at home, or in his neighbourhood. Now, he had plenty more places to be, even places he had to be, since he was living alone. It was stressful the more he thought about it. With Rebecca nearby, things were so much easier...

"Alrighty," he said cheerfully, carefully sliding into the seat after she opened the door for him. Reluctantly, he let go of her hand so everything could be safely tucked into her vehicle. He felt around for the seat belt, smiling slightly when he heard the click of the buckle. Patrick never thought of this as a date up until now... He was going someplace alone with a pretty girl. Even if she wasn't his lover, this was a date nonetheless!

"All set," he told her. He just realized that he didn't put his shades on, but remembered her saying she liked the washed out shade of blue his eyes were. Perhaps, him forgetting wasn't a terrible thing... He even neglected to grab a hooded jacket.

When Patrick had gotten into the car completely, Rebecca closed the door and quickly jogged around, getting into the drivers seat. She threw her purse in the back and buckled herself up before she slipping in the keys and turned them, bringing the car to life. She looked over her shoulder for a second to look for any cars and skillfully pulled out of her driveway before heading down the street into town. It wouldn't be too long of a drive, but it would have taken much longer to walk that was for certain.

To kill some time as she drove, and to kill the silence that filled the car now, She glanced at him out of the coner of her eyes before looking at the road and speaking.

"Alright, so we're on our way! Alright, I think when we get their we'll check out the store and library first...just so you get the feel, then we could head to my school and walk along the street there...We won't be able to go in but there are shops close by we can check...As for food, is there anything you like to eat?"

"That sounds great," he said happily. "You should help me choose a book to read. It will help me be... Less bored!" Patrick chuckled and set his hands on his knees, feeling the motions of the car. Although he had no clue where they were going, he recognized corner turns, stops for signs and lights, and the abrupt halts when a pedestrian was sighted.

Quietly, he thought about her question regarding food he liked. He was not a picky eater, so the list was better off being food he didn't like. "I like anything," he decided to say. "I'm... Not a very good cook, though. I'm incapable of it, actually."

He looked to her with a wry smile, his fingers beginning to tap a bit nervously at his kneecaps. "Maybe some nights... You could cook for me? I'd make it worth your while. I actually have money to offer to people that help make my living style easier."

Rebecca laughed a bit as she made another turn, her eye's glancing to him for a second before they were back on the road. "No problem, I'll help you find some really good books!" She said happily.

She listened to him as she drove, thinking about where to take him to eat since he wasn't picky. When he mentioned her cooking for him some time a small blush came onto her face. He said he would pay be she didn't need him too...or really want him to for that matter. She'd cook for any friend that needed it, she'd feel bad if he gave her any money.

"Heh, You don't need to pay me to come over and cook, I have nothing better to do with my free time anyway...Honestly, if you ever need a warm meal, just call me! I'll come over and feed you well." She said as she started to slow, entering town and now looking for a place to park.

A delightful warmth filled him as she spoke of not having to pay. In fact, she sounded like she'd be happy to cook for him! Patrick was lucky to have met her... His first friend in the city and his neighbour. It was as if he was meant to move into that cozy little house all along.

"You're a sweet girl," he told her, pink painting over his cheeks. "I will find other ways to thank you, then. I can't let favours go unpaid."

Patrick felt the car slowing down and pulling into a spot to park. Once he heard her car turn off, he undid his seat belt, then felt around for the handle that would open his door. With the stick in the other hand, he pulled the handle when he found it, and pushed the door open. Flawlessly, he stood up from his seat to step out of the car, shutting the door behind him.

"Where are we?" he asked curiously, evidently excited.

Rebecca had parked in a small pay for parking lot that the city just put in to make more room on the roads, It was a short walk from the store and library and past those would be her school. She blushed a bit when he called her sweet and just giggled.

"It's no problem, trust me when I say that having someone to hang out with is payment enough."

She then grabbed her purse and stepped out of the car as Patrick did the same, waiting to lock her car until both doors were closed. She smiled a bit as Patrick asked, it was obvious he was excited to be out and about.

"Well, we're currently in the city pay-for-parkinglot, they put it in last year to open up the roads more...It was a good thing they did it two, even with this the roads are still crazy crowded with parked cars...Anyway, we're a short walk from the store and library and a little further on the way is my school." She said as she walked around the car and joined him, taking his hand gently again. "I'll take you to the store first, it's the closest."

"Super duper," he replied, squeezing her hand when she held onto his. More than anything else, Patrick was enthusiastic just to be with Rebecca. He could feel himself getting more comfortable around her, and felt like he could say anything he wanted. She seemed trustworthy with secrets, plus she was one of the most darling, sweet women he ever had the pleasure of meeting.

While he walked with her, he used his stick to feel around the ground so he'd be alerted of any obstacles. He trusted her as a guide, but sometimes there were small, simple things in the sidewalks and roads to miss. It would be highly embarrassing if he tripped on a crack or a rock, bringing her down with him.

"So, what is if you like to eat?" he asked curiously, remembering that food was a fun subject for him. Patrick had a love for food of all sorts; he knew he'd be a passionate cook if given the opportunity. Perhaps, through her, he could get a taste of that dream.

Rebecca lead him to the store, making sure not to rush or anything as she walked hand in hand with him. She was glad she could hold his hand, it was comforting to know she wasn't gonna lose him if she walked to fast...and it just felt nice. When he asked about what food she liked she had to think for a moment. She liked all kinds of food, the list could honestly go on forever. She looked to him as she stopped at a cross walk, pulling him back a bit so he wouldn't end up in the street by mistake.

"Well, I like all kinds of things...though I dod have to say I love bakery! I have a really big sweet tooth!" She said as she blushed a bit.

Patrick smiled brightly when she mentioned sweets being her favourite food. He too had a sweet tooth, though half of his mouth probably had those sweet teeth. Those cookies came back to mind... Now he wished he grabbed another before leaving his house! They were possibly the most delicious cookies he's ever had.

"That's wonderful. You'll have to take me to the local bakery sometime, too. Let me buy you something sweet," he told her, knocking his stick against the automatic doors as they slid open for them. "If not, don't be surprised to see a box of heart shaped pastries at your doorstep one day."

Rosy pink tinted his cheeks as he spoke that, his smile beyond bashful when he realized how easy he was getting with his words. Hopefully she didn't think anything creepy about what he just said. After all, he wanted to do nice things for her. That could not be helped.

Rebecca just smiled more and giggled a bit, she was glad he wanted to get her something...not many people would do that for her. Only family ever really got her presents and that was only around the holidays or her birthday. She pulled him into the store as she continued to show him around for a bit, the store wasn't to large but it carried all the basics, fruits and veggies, dry goods, a deli and a fish counter...there was also a bakery.

"Well, make sure you ring the door bell, we wouldn't want those pastries getting dirty just sitting out there now would we?" She said, joking a little but still smiling at the thought of getting such a cute gift.

Entering the store, he was greeted by all sorts of new smells and sounds. Shopping carts being pushed, people talking, items being rung up at the cash registers... They were familiar, but since this was a different store, he considered it to be a brand new environment. No place was quite the same for him, especially since he moved here from such a different realm.

"Alrighty. I might as well deliver them myself then," he replied, chuckling along with her. "Let me know if I should help carry anything. Assuming you planned on getting any groceries."

Patrick could handle holding some items, if she needed it. As long as they didn't get separated and he wasn't overloaded, nothing would go wrong. The aroma of breads and cakes also filled his nostrils, indicating there was indeed a bakery. Should she want a confection, he'd be happy to buy one for her. After all, she deserved it.

Rebecca pulled him along into the store while grabbing a basket at the same time. She did need to get a few things, mostly for her lunches which she packed at home to save money. She smiled a bit as she headed toward the deli and started to look over to meat.

"I'm only getting a few things, just some stuff for my lunches. I'll only be a second." She said as she got the attention of one of the workers and started to list off all the things she'd like adn how much of each, one could tell she'd done this many times before.

As she talked she didn't let go of Patrick's hand, only taking a few steps away if she reall needed too, the rest of the time she was just at his side, collecting her items and making new orders. When she was done with the deli she wandered over to the bakery, only just to peek at them for a moment. She always love how pretty they looked and how great they smelled, it was like heaven standing in front of the glass case as she debated if she should get something or not.

Honestly, Patrick felt like a child as she dragged him around the grocery store. It felt... Right, though. Being hand in hand with this woman seemed to spark something. People must be giving them odd glances, but the majority probably found them an adorable sight. From what he's heard, he was a handsome young man. He resembled what some might call a 'jock' in that athletic shirt, baggy pants and beach blond hair, but the only sort of working out he ever did was walking. Patrick did not trust himself to lift weights, however he's always wanted to swim.

They arrived at the bakery, noticing that they stopped. The pastries smelled so fresh... There was no way he was going to resist purchasing something for her! Should she argue, he would buy something anyway. Just for her.

"What's in there? I smell donuts, and... Cupcakes? Maybe some bread?" he spoke, grinning at her. His own stomach was shouting at him to fill it with one of these baked goods. With the strap of his white stick around his wrist, he used that hand to pull his plain brown wallet from his back pocket. If not for now, she'd surely appreciate some of these to go with her school lunch.

Rebecca smiled a bit as she looked over the food in the glass case, he had guessed right for anything he said. She was slightly impressed with his sense of smell, to her everything was just sweet but he was able to tell things apart! She looked around and noticed that they were getting some looks, one or two old couples were watching and smiling at them, like they knew what was going on. Rebecca blushed deeply as she looked down at the bottom shelf in the case, trying to hide her red face from the view of the people watching.

"There's also cake and cookies too...I just love looking at them and smelling them." She said as she started to pull back from the case.

She notice him shuffling around out of the corner of her eye and looked to see him pull out his wallet. She couldn't help but giggle a bit as she smiled up at him.

"Getting something for yourself, eh? You must have a mighty sweet tooth." She said. "Well, after you pick something we can go, I'll be done with my shopping then."

Listening to her giggle was like music. There was nothing more beautiful than the laughter of a woman, but hers was so much more... Special. It was like a flawless tune that only his ears could recognize. Rebecca called herself an ordinary woman, but she was far from it. She was one of a kind to him...

"Guilty as charged! I have more than one sweet tooth," he laughed, shrugging.

"Could you pick a couple things out for me?" he asked, handing the wallet to her. It was filled with cash that would cover whatever the cost was. "You may have whatever you'd like."

With a soft smile, he gave her hand a squeeze, then let it go so she could make this purchase for him. Patrick hoped she would do this for him. It meant a lot to be able to buy her something, especially knowing she had a love for confections.

Rebecca took the wallet slowly, slightly surprised by his offer. At first she wanted to say no and only get him his sweets but she couldn't help but eye a small cake that was sitting in perfect view from where she was standing. She was only tempted more by the cake when he let go of her hand, knowing that she now had complete control of his wallet. She debated silently for a second, fidgeting slightly as she looked over everything. Darn him for tempting her!...

With a small sigh of defeat she got the attion of the baker and started to pick of some things for Patrick. She got him a mini chocolate cake, a strawberry cupcake with cream cheese frosting, a fruit tart, and a medium cream puff. She had all of it put into one box meatly before also getting her own small cake. She handed to money to pay with to the baker before returning Patrick's wallet back to him. She then grabbed the pastries and turned to face him, her basket hanging on her arm.

"Okay, I got you some different things so you have plenty to choose from...and I got something for myself..." She said, mumbling the last part rather quickly. She frowned a bit as she realized that she couldn't hold his hand now with her arms being full.