Blind Hearted

"I... I don't know. Maybe the old ones have passed away, and I'm the only one left with knowledge of this magic? Or Lothar is afraid of the elders? He enjoys tormenting a blind man? It could be all three, for all I know," Patrick answered her slowly and thoughtfully, trying to decide which of the reasons made the most sense.

Noticing her cuddling against him, he looped an arm around her and gave a squeeze, uncaring if the closeness would hurt him. He liked to hold onto her; he wanted to comfort her. Besides, he was already feeling much less achy. The pain killer was kicking in and the soup was like a healing substance.

"I know for a fact that he's a coward. Always hiding behind that book and summoning creatures to chase others," he told her blandly. That gave him an idea, though: "I need to get that damn book from him. Then, I'll end him."

However, the thought of defeating someone in combat was tiring to him. Patrick just wanted to exist with Rebecca; nothing more or less. So, he let the silence consume his thoughts until there was something better to discuss.

Rebecca was completely fine with being held tighter and smiled a bit at the comforting gesture. She listened quietly to him speak about the awful Lothar as her mind wandered on its own. She couldn't help but think about something like this happening again, but this time she wouldn't be there to help Patrick. That thought alone made her heart sink into her stomach and her nerves shake. That alone would make her want to quit school just so she could keep an eye on him. She couldn't do that to Patrick though, she would be moving in on his free will and space. On top of that she had to finish school, she wanted to make her parent proud after all. At the mention of Patrick facing Lothar agian Rebecca was quick to protest.

"Don't go after him, please...I couldn't bare it if you were hurt again and no one could help you." She said worriedly as she looked at him and ran a comforting hand along his cheek.

The subject should be abandoned, he thought. Patrick's heart felt sore as he listened on to how Rebecca felt about their situation. Gently, his face leaned into her palm, cutely nuzzling into her hand like an animal might. Every touch made him feel warm. The best kind of warmth, too. He could endure the harshest of winters; the cruelest of colds. As long as she was there with him.

"Don't worry about it right now," he whispered, putting a kiss onto her fingers. Patrick wouldn't go after Lothar! That sounded like madness and a trap waiting to be set. He'd wait for the bastard to come to him instead.

"Let's do something. I have a television in here. Or you can read to me again. Or...something..." Patrick tried to suggest some activities for them, his face showing redness from embarrassment as he remembered there was really nothing exciting to do.

Rebecca calmed a bit as he dropped the subject of facing Lothar and suggested that they do something else, the kiss on her fingers making her blush a bit. Her mind could use the distraction at the moment since she was still a little nervous, though her jumpiness had gone down since she had cuddled into Patrick's side. She looked around quietly for a moment before finally grabbing the remote and turning on the TV, trying to find something they could both enjoy. After flicking around for a bit she found the history channel and left it there, knowing that it wouldn't be to confusing for Patrick since it was more teaching than story based.

"There, I haven't watched the history channel in awhile, I wonder if anything new has been showing." She said softly, not really paying attention to the program.

In fact, she wasn't even looking at the TV. She was just resting her head on his shoulder as she started into space, the TV acting more as background noise than anything else. Her mind kept thinking about what could happen to Patrick if she left and that alone keep her clinging to his side, cuddling him like an over sized teddy bear.

Patrick sat there patiently as she scrolled through the television channels. There were many to choose from; TV was one of the only entertainment sources he had. There were plenty of stations for him to listen to, too. News, comedy, even cartoons. Not everything required a visual for him to enjoy it.

She settled on the History channel, which was one he was fond of. Educational television was fun; he was always eager to learn something new. Some of the shows were funny, too. Patrick felt that some of the dialogue was humorous, probably to keep viewers interested. The fact they tried so hard to entertain them that way was amusing alone!

He sat there, relaxed on the bed, his fingertips idly brushing over her arm. Having her so close was all he wanted, and all he needed, right now. Every ounce of love she gave to him made the aches in his body fade away. There was no capacity to think about pain. All he could think about was her.

"I love you. Don't forget that," he said with a smile.

Rebecca smiled a bit as he rubbed her arm and took her he loved her, the words were more than welcomed at the moment. She could feel her nerves slowly fading away and relaxing, feeling safe adn sound in his arms. She turned to him a bit and leaned up to kiss him on the cheek softly before nuzzling her head under his neck and looking at the TV.

"I love you too, Patrick. Don't you forget that either." She said with a msile of her own

She finally looked to the TV and allowed it to distract her from her worries and sadness, laughing here and there at the bad jokes they put in to keep them entertained. She rested one of her hands on his chest lightly, putting it there to make herself more comfortable and to hold onto him more as well. She loved being close to him, it felt so comfortable to just cuddle right into his side without any trouble. If she could she would do this every night, sit with him and watch TV while they snuggled together to keep warm. She couldn't help picturing was he comforted her lightly.

A month passed by. A very safe, uneventful month at that. Patrick considered it a positive factor, though. Boring, everyday routines were much more preferable to fighting magical madman. Also, Rebecca was around to keep things more... Entertaining. Having someone to read to him and someone to watch (well, listen) to television with was nice. They became significantly closer, too. She was the only friend he had in this realm and probably the only he'd ever have. However, one day, he hoped she would be willing to introduce him to her parents. He wanted them to like him.

Time allowed him to recover, too. Only one day was taken off of work so he could have a day's worth of good rest. Right after that, he was back at his desk to satisfy the needs of his customers. The routine was the same all the time. Rebecca would come over after classes to work on her homework, while he either finished working or entertained himself with television, or library books.

Today, he was enjoying a day out with Rebecca and his guide dog, Lucifer. In one hand was the leash to his companion and in the other hand was a cone with strawberry ice cream. They went out for a treat to celebrate an A that Rebecca received on a difficult test she spent many nights studying for. Patrick was very proud, and happy to hear her so jubilant about the success.

The sky returned to normal, too. That didn't necessarily mean Lothar was gone, though. He was around, lurking someplace and waiting for the right moment to strike.

"Let's find a place to sit down," he suggested, letting his service animal and beloved woman guide him.

Soon time continued on and before long a month had gone by, Rebecca had a hard time beliving it at first. She would go over to his house and work on homework before hanging out with him, going out together on the occasion free day she had. She loved spending time with Patrick, it was better than sitting at home along. She loved everything that they did but certain things they did had consequences...life changing consequences. After the Lothar attack, Rebecca was determined to stay closer to Patrick and when members of the opposite sex get cuddly thing are bound to happen...

Which is why Rebecca was now pregnant.

She had known for a few days now but today she was going to tell Patrick about it, something she was rather nervous about. They hadn't been together very long and even then she wasn't completely sure if she could call what they had a relationship. Either way she caed deeply for him and hoped that he wouldn't leave her all alone like some guys. At the moment they were celebrating the good grade she got on her test, one that had kept her up for many nights in a row. Now she just needed to gain the courage to tell him the big news.

She Smiled a bit as she finished up her own icecream and took a seat on a nearby bench. The new service animal had been great so far but she had to leave Rodger at home for his hyper attitude was more than a distracting for the working dog. When Patrick sat she move a bit closer to him and leaned into his side, quietly trying to think of a way to tell him what was on her mind.

Patrick's traveling companion sat quietly beside him, simply waiting for his next command and keeping watch for anything suspicious. There was silence between him and Rebecca as they finished their ice cream. Thoughtfully, Patrick munched the last of his sugar cone and licked at his fingers, his lips showing a smile when he was completely done. Sugar would always be an addiction for him. Sweets were probably the quickest way of cheering him up.

An arm coiled lazily around Rebecca when she leaned into him. The two of them sat quietly, and happily. That's what he thought, anyway. He was oblivious to any issues she might have, though he trusted she would tell him anything that was wrong. Especially if it involved him. He loved this woman, that much was certain. It might have been a crazy thing, since he only knew her for a month. He did not care, though.

"It's a nice day," he mused, not noticing he was thinking out loud about the weather. The temperature was nice. Patrick felt optimistic, too. Yet, still expectant. Something dangerous would show up sooner or later. The thought of it made him tighten the half-embrace he had around her.

Rebecca smiled a bit and cuddled closer to Patrick as he wrapped his arm around her gently, making her feel safe and comfortable. For a moment she just let him muse to himself before she responded softly to him.

"Yeah, It is nice..." She said, leting her words hang for a second before she turned her head to look up at him. "Patrick, there is something I need to tell you..." She spoke softly, starting to get a little nervous as she started to worry about what he might do or say.

She cared for Patrick deeply and she loved him, even though they only knew each other for a month. She wanted to spend the rest of her life with him if possible and it seemed that her body agreed. She just hoped that he wouldn't be mad at her or want to leave her. She sat up a bit more and placed a hand on his lap gently, wanting him to know that it wouldn't be bad knews, that is if he was alright with becoming a father so soon in their relationship.

By the tone of her voice, he could tell something was wrong. His smile remained, but became meeker so that he wouldn't look like an oblivious idiot. "Yeah?" he asked simply, giving her shoulder a comforting squeeze.

Just then, there was a disturbance in the air. An eerie wind swept over them, and his guide dog erected from his laying position to enter a defensive stance. Patrick could hear a cackle from a far distance; one only his ears could detect. A laugh unlike any other: Lothar's. A crowd of people stomped past the bench they sat on; they seemed to be running from something.

And running they were. A winged knight upon a mighty steed was making haste towards Patrick and Rebecca. He had no interest in the city folk. The civilians were just under the impression that they were being chased and targeted.

Immediately, Patrick stood up from his seat and readied an attack that would delay the foe. Just before he could conjure the magic, something unexpected happened. The vile looking knight commanded his horse to make an impressively powerful jump, the animal's weight knocking Patrick to the ground after landing. He felt his heart skip a beat when the bold move was made; he was afraid he was about to be trampled.

A hoof set onto his chest then, pinning Patrick to the ground. With an angry expression, he attempted to lift the horse's hoof off of him, but to no avail. That kept him in place while the armoured figure got off of his steed to snatch up Rebecca.

Before she could even speak at all Rebecca was interrupted by the crowd of running people, looking at the worried and confused as she noticed Patrick's dogs jump up and the man himself actually growing alert. When the winged knight appeared she gasped loudly, nearly screaming as she looked upon it. She knew that it was after them but she was frozen to her seat, unable to bring herself to move at all.

When Patrick stood up she tried to pull him back but it was too late, the knight kicked him back and foced him to the ground, pinning him down as he grabbed her and forced her onto the horse, no matter how much she fought him.

"LET ME GO!!! NO LET ME GO!!!" She screamed as he forced her into her place, keeping her from getting away at all.

With Rebecca supported effortlessly over one of his armoured arms, the knight pointed his lance at Patrick's face while. "My Master awaits you on the tallest building of this pitiful Earthen city. Show yourself before the dawn of the new day, or your precious girl will suffer."

Patrick snarled at the monster and immediately got to his feet when the ginormous horse hoof stepped off of his chest. He was left there, circling blindly on the neighbourhood sidewalk while trying to figure out where in the world he was supposed to go. The knight had since disappeared with Rebecca, teleporting over to the building mentioned before. Lothar was there as well, protected by a barrier that kept everyone out. Police were trying to make their way inside, to rescue the hostages more than anything. There were businessmen, office employees and secretaries in grave danger.

Lothar had Rebecca imprisoned within a bubble she would not be able to escape. Not without some sort of magic to fight back with. He scoffed at the sight of the woman trapped in the orb shape of bright green. He could not see why she was so important to Patrick.

"Well done, my servant," he said pleasantly to the knight, who stood by silently on his steed.

Meanwhile, Patrick was doing everything he could to reach his beloved. He waved down a taxi and bluntly said, "Take me to the tallest building!" His guide dog sat in the seat beside him.

During the drive, he developed a plan. This ridiculous situation with Lothar needed to end today.

Rebecca cried and screamed as she was carried away, only calming a bit one Lothar had trapped her away in the strange bubble. No matter how hard she kicked and punched she could not escape it. Her fear turned to anger as she looked at Lothar, he was the cause of all her problems. She glared at the strange looking being and nearly snarled out her next sentence.

"Let me go you beast!! I swear if Patrick doesn't get you then the police will!" She continued to bang on the bubble and cry at the same time, oblivious to the tears until they blocked her site so much that she had to pause and wipe them away.

She glanced around at the other hostages silently, taking note that these were all just random people, dragged into this only because the horrible man before her was trying to get to one person. She prayed that the other people would be able to get away safely if she couldn't do so herself, she could never live with the fact that she was the reason innocent people died.

Racing up to the rooftop was taxing. There were several stair cases he had to take, since the elevators were out of order due to the power being cut off. With his guide dog, he was lucky to even be able to make it. Otherwise, he would have been searching blindly for hours. Heavily, he panted as he ran, determined to rescue Rebecca before anything worse happened.

Once he reached the roof, he instructed his dog to wait at the floor below the roof with the hostages. That was presumed safer than what was outside. Despite his cardio workout tiring him, there was a cross expression on his face. Lothar crossed a line he really should not have crossed.

"I knew this would get your attention. Now, instead of this pointless fighting, why not tell me the secrets of your magic? Those old fools wouldn't say a word and they paid for their disrespect!"

"You... What?! Why would you do that!?" Patrick exclaimed, horrified.

"Please, do you really think those elderly magicians were trustworthy? They even told me how to find you if I promised to spare their lives. I broke that promise, of course," Lothar replied, quite proudly.

"Fiend," Patrick spat, reaching into the pocket of his jeans. A narrow, cylindrical instrument was pulled out and held gingerly in his hands. It was his weapon, in a way. Instead of strength, it required the talent of a musician. A magical one, at that.

The flute-like instrument was positioned under his lips, but before he began, he said loudly:

"Rebecca!? Babe, I know you're out here somewhere and that you can hear me. There's a barrier trapping you; I can sense it. When I shatter that orb, I need your help, okay? Lothar's book needs to be destroyed in order to end this!"

"Shatter th--what!?"

Just as Lothar voiced his surprise, Patrick began his musical spell to break down the bubble holding Rebecca. The tune was ear piercingly loud and high pitched, making the barrier break apart like a glass window. Even Lothar himself was holding a hand to one of his ears. With his other hand, which held the book, he pointed at Patrick and shouted to his knightly minion:

"DON'T STAND THERE, ATTACK HIM!"

Rebecca sat in the bubble for the losgest time, crying softly as she glared at the terrible Lothar. She couldn't help but feel weak and usless sitting there as well as worried over the baby, that little ride with the knight wasn't exactly gentle and even though she wasn't showing yet she was still a bit nervous. Suddenly the sound of the roof door banging open caught her attention and she turned to see Patrick! She smiled and quickly stood up banging on the buddle roughly.

"PATRICK!" She yelled, though it seemed that he couldn't see her. She growled a bit to herself and continued to bang and kick the bubble as the two men spoke to each other.

When Patrick addressed her she stopped kicking and listened intently, glancing at the tool in his have curiously before covering her ears at the high pitched note he made. When the bubble shattered she stumbled onto the floor in surprise, sitting there for a moment in confusion before realizing she had a job to do. She needed to get that book! She looked to Lothar and noticed he was distracted, the knight having run off to face Patrick once more. She got up quickly and ran toward the nasty man, planning to get his book and a bit of personal revenge.

She rushed at him and reached out for his book, her other hand moving into Lothar face to push him back roughly as she slipped her fingers around the cover.

Patrick could hear the clopping hooves of the horse, followed by a fierce neighing. At those noises, he rushed out of the way, hastily trying to formulate a good plan for this. He did not think this through too well... So at the moment, he was just being chased on the rooftop. In circles, thankfully, otherwise he would have ran right off of the edge. Times like this, he wished he could see.

At the last minute, he turned around with his instrument set at his lips again and played a section of a song instead of a screaming note like before. The song stunned the knight, holding him in place for a limited amount of time. A metallic growl could be heard within the man's armour. It had to be frustrating to be unable to move.

Now that he had some time, he began to play a full length song. It started out soft and sweet, but was gradually sounding terrifying. No one could see it, but a massive amount of power was building up right in front of Patrick. At the finishing note, an explosion of sound would turn this situation around. In his favour, of course.

Meanwhile, Lothar was struggling against Rebecca's grasp when she reached for the girl. "Arg! Stupid girl, what are you doing!?" he snapped as she pushed against his face. She'd notice he had little to no physical strength. Without the book, he'd be a powerless apparition. And without his minion's help, as well as the inability to open his spell book, he couldn't help himself.

"LET. GO."

"NEVER!!" She yelled at him as she continued struggle with him.

The knight and Patrick were only small blurs in the corner of her eye as she fought over the book with Lothar, though he was obviously weak he was still putting up a fight over the book, making it hard for her to get the better grip that she need to rip it away from him. She then moved from his face to his neck and pulled him down, squuezing on his neck in the process to make him let go. Finally with one swift tug, the book was in her hands.

She was quick to drop Lothar turn on her heels toward Patrick, who at the m"oment was almost done charging his powers. She trotted toward him but also kept her distance as the song grew strong her, the sound nearly making her cover her ear as she slipped into the corner behind him with the book held tightly to her chest.

"Patrick!! I GOT THE BOOK!" She yelled over to song, hoping he could hear her from behind him. She just prayed that he'd be bale to take out the kinght before they faced Lothar.

Just when the knight recovered from the stun spell, Patrick finished the song he was playing. A barely noticeable sphere of magic self-destructed in front of the foe, bursting into an explosion of sound waves. The man and his horse were sent backwards, zooming right off of the building and disappearing into a burst of light. That was more than likely a forfeit, especially since Lothar no longer that the book in his hand. Without the book, he had no one to command.

Patrick was a bit deaf now. Actually, everyone around him and below him probably was. It was a temporary side-effect of the louder spells he had. He did manage to hear Rebecca earlier when she said she had to the book, though. That brought a smug smile to his face.

"WE HAVE TO DESTROY IT!" he said at the top of his lungs, barely able to hear himself and knowing the Rebecca herself would be hard of hearing. Frustratingly, he hit at his head, as if that was going to relieve him of the feeling his ears were plugged up. Without being able to hear so well, or see, he couldn't navigate. So, he stayed where he stood.

Patrick hoped she had an idea on how to destroy the book. Rip the pages out, burn it--anything! Leaving that to her, he pointed his woodwind instrument outward, meaning to direct it at Lothar. He looked ridiculous, though. It was pointing to absolutely nothing.

"Stupid blind boy," Lothar muttered, knowing what Patrick meant to do. He himself was hard of hearing, but he could most definitely see what was going on. In a small panic, he pushed himself from the ground, hardly able to support his own weight. Normally, he'd just levitate and not have to worry about it... But without his spell book, that was impossible.

"Don't be foolish!" he barked to Rebecca.

Rebecca could barely hear Patrick after his attack, her ears ringing loudly from the high pitched notes. She needed to destroy the book and fast, Lothar was weak and defenseless at the moment but if he were to get his hands back on the book they would be done for. She glanced down at the book and opened it up to a random page, grabbing onto some of the pages with the intent to rip them out. She looked to Lothar as he wobbled onto his feet, looking rather foolish as he tried to stand.

"Don't try to stop me Lothar, I'm going to end you here and now!" She yelled at him, ripping out some of the pages as she said that and continuing to do so more and more roughly.